• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Just over 16 hours, how you guys holding up? Has the anxiety started to kick in yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How dare you root for the heel.
If Incineroar is in the dream is over.
How will you be able to sleep at night knowing everyone is sad :104:.
I mean personally as a Pokémon fan I'd prefer Incineroar over most of the characters in the Grinch leak anyway, sans Chorus Kids and maybe Mach Rider. :p

Potato_

Smash Lord
The game's selling point is "You don't have to kill anyone". The game has plenty of mandatory fights.
You're right,
hell the Asgore fight doesn't end until one of you fall.

It's just that there's a lot more riding on those fights than just "Hey Sans, make that guy have a bad time." It's Smash after all, it's a lot more relaxed. Maybe Toby doesn't want an Undertale character fighting for the hell of it.

But maybe that doesn't matter too much. Undyne does spar and train, so it's not like it's completely out of the ordinary for Undertale. I do think it's a point to keep in mind however.

Last edited:

ubiblu

Smash Rookie
At this point in time, i'm still divided on where I stand: Grinch has a lot of compelling evidence going for it, but I just can't get behind the idea of a coordinated disinformation campaign amongst Nintendo and insiders. It's just a video game, and a full-blown conspiracy seems way too convoluted to be real. That said, the Grinch is still yet to be outright disproved...what a fun time.

Having said that, if i'm going in on #TeamFake, I expect the final roster to include the following:

Incineroar
Dixie
Geno

Ken
Dry Bowser
Funky Kong

Fingers crossed for Banjo to be revealed at The Game Awards as DLC 1. Seems like the perfect gathering of Nintendo/MS to coincide with launch day.

Still waiting for Wonder Red, Amaterasu, Elma, Skull Kid...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, since this is the Final Smash Direct, shouldn't this be about everyone's Final Smash rather than anything else? :troll:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Honestly, how do you incorporate Sans into Smash? His moveset in the actual game is teleport spam + millions of bones that your soul has to dodge while being weighted by Sans' special ability that he shares with his brother.

I can see the teleport and bones being used, but how would you incorporate his Blue Soul ability? Telekinesis through his grabs, maybe?

D

Deleted member

Also, my roster building desires have returned:
1541023634780.png

Was torn between :ultsnake:, :ultcloud:, and :ultsimon: as the last veteran. Might update once I make a descision.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Considering they said "the Nintendo 64 classic" instead of the likely legally binding "Banjo-Kazooie?" Definitely fake. Also lol Isabella.
Banjo is fake but the actual press site does say Isabella it was shown earlier

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just over 16 hours, how you guys holding up? Has the anxiety started to kick in yet?
I... kinda feel the same as I do every Wednesday.

I mean, guys. C'mon. You realize you're losing sleep over an advertisement.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Honestly, how do you incorporate Sans into Smash? His moveset in the actual game is teleport spam + millions of bones that your soul has to dodge while being weighted by Sans' special ability that he shares with his brother.

I can see the teleport and bones being used, but how would you incorporate his Blue Soul ability? Telekinesis through his grabs, maybe?
Make him like Resetti.

He sits on the stage telling bad jokes. If anyone hits him, they get assaulted by Gaster Blasters, or have a P.O.W block effect put on them to simulate the weighted soul ability.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
At this point in time, i'm still divided on where I stand: Grinch has a lot of compelling evidence going for it, but I just can't get behind the idea of a coordinated disinformation campaign amongst Nintendo and insiders. It's just a video game, and a full-blown conspiracy seems way too convoluted to be real. That said, the Grinch is still yet to be outright disproved...what a fun time.

Having said that, if i'm going in on #TeamFake, I expect the final roster to include the following:

Incineroar
Dixie
Geno

Ken
Dry Bowser
Funky Kong

Fingers crossed for Banjo to be revealed at The Game Awards as DLC 1. Seems like the perfect gathering of Nintendo/MS to coincide with launch day.

Still waiting for Wonder Red, Amaterasu, Elma, Skull Kid...
i dont think "dud info slipping down to insiders" is that farfetched of a concept, and especially not a conspiracy

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Here's a topical game:

It's Halloween. Who does your main dress up as? And are they all about tricks or treats?

paper roxy

Smash Ace

i mean, smash ultimate is one of the hypest games ever. no game has ever been at this level of hype with announcement for new characters, and nowhere close to this indepth speculation. like, we've been at the point where we were examining pixels and the grinch leak still isnt disproven. i've never in my life seen a nintendo game, or game in general, get people this excited and deep into speculation. not even sm4sh

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Totally not relevant to anything Smash, but when we get to page 6969, everyone better comment “Nice” for the whole page.

If not, I hope Smashboards puts in a downvote option just so I can downvote it.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

A 40 minute advertisement—like a TV episode. Last one was over two months ago and had one hell of a cliffhanger.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You're right,

It's just that there's a lot more riding on those fights than just "Hey Sans, make that guy have a bad time." It's Smash after all, it's a lot more relaxed. Maybe Toby doesn't want an Undertale character fighting for the hell of it.

But maybe that doesn't matter too much. Undyne does spar and train, so it's not like it's completely out of the ordinary for Undertale. I do think it's a point to keep in mind however.
In a sense, it's more or less the opposite of Animal Crossing.
Though I wouldn't be shocked if Toby shows lenience about that in regards to character inclusion negotiations.

Make him like Resetti.

He sits on the stage telling bad jokes. If anyone hits him, they get assaulted by Gaster Blasters, or have a P.O.W block effect put on them to simulate the weighted soul ability.
Personally, I'd like to see Muffet as a helpful AT.

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman

Neutral B: Gaster Blaster, works like Thoron except comes out more slowly (but doesn't need to be pre-charged)
Up B: Frame skip teleport
Side B: Bones that rise out of the ground in a horizontal wave, starting from his body and going outward
Down B: Command grab that reduces enemy vertical jump height for a short time if it hits (this is the Blue Soul)

Up Smash: Gaster Blaster aimed upward vertically
Down Smash: Bones vertically shoot up from the ground on his left and right side
Side Smash: Bones protrude out of his hitbox for a bit, this has no knockback but rapidly damages the enemy if they stay inside the bones hitbox

Grab: Telekenesis

Special properties:
Has the lowest weight in the game
Spot dodge temporarily removes him from existence (actual frame data isn't any different from a normal dodge)

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Ohh! I didn't know Verg said the Grinch is fake. Issac is an assist.
Oh I'll take that.
Well I don't care honestly as long as Goemon gets in.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I'm done with my bingo card for tomorrow's direct. I used SourceGaming's template because I was too lazy to make my own this time.

Click.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Totally not relevant to anything Smash, but when we get to page 6969, everyone better comment “Nice” for the whole page.

If not, I hope Smashboards puts in a downvote option just so I can downvote it.
Will you accept "noice" or "niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice"?

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice

How do you incorporate DK into Smash? His moveset in the actual game is walk and jump and pick up barrels.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
There's a difference here. They don't tell the person they are baiting that they are being baited. The situation here is that The Roster is on a need to know basis and Xander Mobus doesn't need to know even if he is the announcer.
...I can't really fathom why you would ever tell someone you're baiting that you're baiting them.
loved the part in undertale where asgore grabbed frisk and jumped off the stage
Wait, what, huh? When did that happen?!?
You're right,

Yeah, Sans is definitely not the type to fight for the hell of it (for one thing, that would be too much work :p). He only fights when he absolutely has to. Hell, he doesn't even attack you if you kill Papyrus; you have to kill absolutely everyone before he decides he needs to stand in your way. Sans in a friendly competition like Smash? Yeah... he'd definitely pass that up.
Hey guys, since this is the Final Smash Direct, shouldn't this be about everyone's Final Smash rather than anything else? :troll:
That pun was inevitable...

There's a Sans support thread; that probably has thrown about a few moveset ideas.
What I'm imagining is much more heartbreaking for Incineroar fans.

"Hey, we need a fake character to throw the scent off our actual roster. Who's a character people know but don't want that much?"
"How about that one red fighter who uses fire that only a handful of people have asked for?"
"Oh! Incineroar! Perfect."
"...I was talking about Ken from Street Fighter. The hell's an Incineroar?"
Um... wow. Ouch.
36ED6A1D-7F1C-4CAD-93DB-3147257CA33C.png
I don’t know why, but I feel like ZUN wouldn’t allow Touhou content in smash.
Um... and why wouldn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom