• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
No, you're still not quite getting it.
You can't afford to go to tournaments, at which point you're not competing and thus there's nothing to be "disadvantaged" over.

I fail to see how this response relates to anything that it's responding to. If I want to make something and give it to someone for free, that's my right. Free DLC exists. It's out there.
As the adage goes, "time is money", if you're so aware of the value of money, you should certainly be aware of the value of time and not just give it away for free to other people nor are you entitled to the fruits of other people's time for free.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's move on from the anime/DLC/art arguments, please.

Also, please do not post media-only replies(that includes linking to just an image).

Please do not double post either. Edit your messages instead. :)

Any other rule I forgot to mention that's relevant to the situation? :p

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Sigh, I knew someone was going to bring this up.

A video game having an anime does not make it an anime.

Fire Emblem is anime-inspired, but it disgusts me less because it is less anime-inspired than Xenoblade. This is not complicated.
I mean yeah, I can get the VCR but they want more money and added thingd that weren't on the VCR. Outrageous right?

You're clearly not equipped for this conversation, so I'm going to end it here. Thanks for playing.

Guess what DLC is?
Not a bonus feature in the slightest? Especially when it's playable characters, which are the CORE of the game?

A better analogy: you pay full price for a ticket to watch a movie, but you have to pay a 10% extra to watch the post-credits sequence.

That's what DLC is.

Why are you guys arguing about something so stupid, if you don't like DLC just don't buy it!
Because I consider it a problem with the industry that is worth discussing.

Corporations are evil. Fact.

You are entitled to content that is on the disc. Expecting rights on DLC, just because you paid for the base game is illogical.
How?

Your anti-anime tirade sounds racist as **** mate. Like an entire industry of Japanese can't do anything right. Literally lumping thousands of very, very different productions into one because it comes from Japan. Seriously?
It's not because it comes from Japan.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
But....essentially you are.

Like when you set down to play Chrom in Smash Ultimate for example. You are literally playing someone's hard work. A person designed him, drew him, they made him into a 3D model based off that art and that person is also an artist because of that, then a person voiced him, etc.
Doesn't that make any human creation in existence art?

I mean those vessels the Europeans used to travel to the new world are also considered art right? Since they were designed, built and well thought out before being sent on their maiden voyage?

For the record I do consider most forms of entertainment art

Untouch

Smash Master
In the grinch leak battle royale, chorus kids are still living, and at least I can still be happy about that.
I saw someone mention that a DQ character cannot be in because it cannot get a music post. I thought the music theory was dead, fitting for it to return on halloween as a ghost of it's former self.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration

Also, please do not post media-only replies(that includes linking to just an image).

I'm only seeing this post now, just so you know. I will drop it if everyone else does.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Also FE GBA was the absolute best kind of anime trash. Just look at these sprites.

Apparently Roy has a little bit of a harem as well which is also anime I guess, but that's not the cool part. Those sprites though? Those are cool.

Edit: Sorry Spirit Tamer, I'll stop arguing now.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD

Be excellent to each other?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Nah you're good boldmod.
Other than arguing about the morality of THE MAN
ROW ROW, FIGHT DA POWAH

i can't believe "evil corporations" are actually a minor subject right now

i'm kidding don't hurt me redname
i have scars from the last infractions

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Doesn't that make any human creation in existence art?

I mean those vessels the Europeans used to travel to the new world are also considered art right? Since they were designed, built and well thought out before being sent on their maiden voyage?

For the record I do consider most forms of entertainment art
If you're really into ships, then yeah.

People will consider cars art. There's a creative aspect in designing vehicles becuase they each have their own visual design.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
but why create that in France? i'm sure japan got plenty of print material company that are more safe against leak

At the end of th day..i trust no vergeben, no fake leak, no grinch leak , no insider , not my friend papagenos.
NOPE im waiting the direct , is that simple
That's actually a very good point. ****.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Said I wasn't going to involve myself, but I'll just ask a question - do you think there's a difference between art and artistic efforts?

Trust me I will be the first one to fight that most videogames are art. Gotta admit though, I'm on the fence on whether a fighting game is art. Just my opinion though!
I mean it depends on what you mean by artistic efforts. Like if someone tries to say sing but they're not that great at it? Or like a little kid drawing a picture but it's just stick figures or what?

Now I'll admit certain games are hollow and they don't have much content art wise, but even to a degree even the most hollow of like films and music and books and what not, all had some degree of artistic merit put into them.

I do think however that not everyone can be an artist? Some people just cut are not out for it, because most mediums take a lot of work and practice.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You really can't compare Fox in Melee to Bayo in Smash 4, Bayo gets hate from the competitive community because:
1. She's by far the best character.
2. She has way too many tools that give her an answer to practically every situation.
3. She's pretty easy to get good at.
4. A combination of all three means she's both awful to play against aswell as watch.

Fox is the best character in Melee, but not by as great a distance as Bayo, he even has some even matchups. He also has by far the highest skill ceiling in the game, which not only means that there's more respect for people who reach the absolute top with him as they've put in a ton of work to get there, but also that they can't always consistently pull off victories in easy or cheap manners. Lastly, a great Fox is just so much fun to watch, he's one of the most entertaining top tier characters in any fighting game.

The competitive community usually doesn't care one bit about a character's origins and who he/she is, the fact of the matter is just that Bayonetta was incredibly oppressive to the Smash 4 meta, which was in an otherwise good place before her. Whether you like Bayo or not it's hard to deny that she needs changes in Ultimate.

I'm not denying that people hated her beforehand though, but the speculation and competitive community is not tied very tightly together.
Bayonetta DOES need nerfs (and she got them, as much as some doesn't want to admit it), but Fox literally had his own tier in Melee and he was better than a character that can do zero-to-deaths by pummeling. Also, how fun a character is to fight against is kinda subjective. I dislike playing against Fox or Cloud more than I do with Bayonetta.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey guys!

In less than 2 hours, the Direct will officially be at the 24 hour mark!

ARE YOU GUUUUUUYS HYYYYYYYYYYYPED??!!!

Sorry, a little drunk...

D

Deleted member

Welp! Moving on, who are you looking forward to playing as in Ultimate? I have to try out :ultsimon:. I need too.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
after the direct it'll just be a DLC morality war between people who don't mind and people who mind waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much
That's exactly when I exit the discussion on this game. The drought will be far too long and too slow to even bother talking about DLC. It'll be like going from Ridley to Isabelle for a few years I'm sure in terms of waiting for them.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
All this talk of nerfs and I'm just looking forward to Zelda getting buffed to usable levels

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Then explain the Meta Knight hate
I mean I know almost nothing about competitive Brawl (admittedly I don't know that much about competitive Melee either), but from my understanding Fox and Bayo wish they could be half as broken as Brawl Meta Knight. He's toxic from sheer over centralization to a degree Bayo hasn't even gotten close to reaching.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Hey guys!

Sorry, a little drunk...
Not that the possible fake leak killed the hype for me, but I know I'm gonna be pretty mixed tmrw regardless if it's not real. I love the game already. I wanted heavies and they gave me Ridley and K. Rool, but that stupid leak roster honestly can't be topped, and i know I set myself up for disappointment in getting too excited for it (not that I regret it, it just sucks)

But yeah, bring on the direct! At least tmrw should be surprising regardless.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hey guys!

Sorry, a little drunk...
Moreso than I let on.
If I wasn't able to suppress my unreasonably inhuman levels of hype, I'd be posting in tongues by now

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Welp! Moving on, who are you looking forward to playing as in Ultimate? I have to try out :ultsimon:. I need too.
Probably :ultdarksamus: , yeah, I know she is just a echo, but dang, her animations are so good. I just want to see all the work they done to her.

That, and I intend to try out everyone anyway, so, yeah.:ultsonic:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom