• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
There is no such thing as this all inclusing Nintendo feel. People try to make Nintendo into Disney, but the truth of the matter is. Nintendo genre hops and theme hops far more than Disney ever has.

I mean....Fatal Frame? Eternal Darkness? Do they have the "Nintendo feel"?

Bayonetta isn't their only M rated franchise or venture into darker corners.
Remember that time Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean opened with a kid being hung? Disney has plenty of more adult ventures that may not seem Disney but still are (especially counting stuff they own in proxy), probably more than Nintendo has. I think waving off the idea there's a Nintendo feel to their games because they've published some M rated titles in the past is a bit odd.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Because Day 1 / On-the-Disc DLC has no excuse not to be in the base game. DLC that was developed after release usually does. That's why I'm not opposed to it - we probably wouldn't even get that content if it wasn't DLC, and in a world without DLC I never would have gotten to play as Mewtwo in Smash 4.
Day 1 DLC can be legitimate and isn't necessarily "withheld content" from the base game; during the last stretch of development it's pretty much all balancing and debugging, where during this portion of development your art team/asset makers have nothing to do, so you can set them off to making some DLC. Then about a month or so before release the game goes gold, where development is finished on it and the game is sent off to have copies produced and everything else, at which point the rest of the development team has nothing to do, where you can then have them work on those aforementioned newly created DLC assets to get something ready for download by Day 1 or finish content that couldn't be finished in time that can then be released as Day 1 DLC.

Last edited:

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
What did I miss?
This Mystic guy is hinting at a shocking third party and then closed his tweeter? I tough the Emily rogers leaker said he was wrong, can someone help me understand what happened? In chronological order if possible
Vergeben call Isaac an assist trophy.
Mystic disagree and say he believe Isaac is playable.
Emily say she does not agree with Mystic at all.
Mystic agrees with Emily and believe her over himself.

Also I despair a lot.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't hate any characters in Smash. The closest I come to that emotion is when a character is revealed whose game I've never played. But then I play their game and know their character and see how they fit into Smash.

I'd never played Mega Man until Smash 4 announcement, then boom played 1-10 in like 2 months.

Anyway, I'm more hyped for tomorrow to find out about the modes. I can't wait to play the SP, collect the trophies, and have it not feel like a chore a la Smash 4.
I also don't particularly hate characters. The characters introduced from games I've never played usually compel me to play them. I'll get around to Bayonetta and Metal Gear eventually. And Final Fantasy 7. And others.

I pretty much love every character, though there has to be a bottom of my list, at least when it comes to how I reacted to their reveal.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
If you're a competitive player, you're going to be spending vastly more money to travel and enter tournaments than you will on some DLC, and unless you're in like the top 5-10% of your region or intentionally only enter weak tournaments you can win, you're going to end up very negative financially, far far far more than you spent on the game if you enter tournaments with any regularity. If you have the money to burn on tournaments, you can certainly afford to throw some extra bucks on DLC to get that practice for tournaments.
Not the point.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
after the direct it'll just be a DLC morality war between people who don't mind and people who mind waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much

Vrbtm

I mean....Fatal Frame? Eternal Darkness? Do they have the "Nintendo feel"?

Bayonetta isn't their only M rated franchise or venture into darker corners.
Yeah, but you're forgetting one thing: None of these are Nintendo IPs.

Published by Nintendo? Yes, but that's not close to the same thing.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It's been years since I played the game, but I don't recall the ''family friendly" image that Nintendo typically has. If anything it felt more like to me at the time Nintendo's own attempt at Resident Evil's vibes.
It was released when Nintendo were trying to have a "mature and hardcore" market of games alongside their usual titles after the success of titles like Turok on the N64 and Playstation's own success in areas like that. Nintendo had some very experimental titles during the Gamecube era. By nature of what was in Eternal Darkness and what Nintendo wanted, it obviously wasn't going to be horror like Luigi's Mansion. The insanity meter having things like false file deletions, pretending to adjust the volume of your TV and the like helped still give it some Nintendo personality.

So what I'm getting at is, I don't associate the Nintendo feel that people like to talk about being a kid friendly aspect but rather it's to do with aspects of game design. It's part of why I think Metal Gear is a good fit amongst Nintendo series in Smash. The games may look like a realistic war story (with mechs and convoluted plots) but there's a lot of interactivity in the games that I feel like it could pass off as Nintendo's attempt at a game targeted to the "mature crowd". MGSV has a lot of, "If you think it will, it probably will" moments similar to BotW that garnered Nintendo so much praise.

SmileyLeet

Smash Rookie
Vergeben call Isaac an assist trophy.
Mystic disagree and say he believe Isaac is playable.
Emily say she does not agree with Mystic at all.
Mystic agrees with Emily and believe her over himself.

Also I despair a lot.
Ok so the "shocking third party" is confirmed fake news? Or it happened after all this?

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
A Summary of Insiders this whole leak:

Before direct announcement:
"I think its real but uh, also think its fake cause no Fire cat and background"

After Direct Announcement:
"LEAK HAS AT IN IT, 1000% FAKE CAUSE THERE ARE AT IN IT TRUST ME GUYS, THAT INCLUDES ISSAC"

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'm pretty sure Fatal Frame is a Nintendo IP.

Vrbtm

The game is finished either way. The DLC doesn't make the game anymore finished.
This is an oxymoron for obvious reasons.

Your food analogies don't work because video games are not just disposable products to me. They're art.

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
I was away the last days, was the grinch leak Debunked or are you guys talking about what the Insiders have to say?

TheBlue10

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SweetBlueMemory
3DS FC
2466-7799-9439
Switch FC
SW 2878-1317-0108
Only because you don't find it insulting. For some reason. Your prerogative.
At this point, I can't see you having a discussion about DLC, rather you're just trying to tell everyone how DLC is the spawn of Satan and whatnot.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
after the direct it'll just be a DLC morality war between people who don't mind and people who mind waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much
Also the inevitable "**** YOU SAKURAI THIS ISN'T THE CHARACTER I WANTED HOW DARE YOU I WILL HATE YOU FOREVER MORE". Bonus points if 3 years later they go "Oh thank you Sakurai, this means a lot to us, we'll make a thank you card. By the way that thing from 3 years ago is still bull****"

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Nintendo co-owns Fatal Frame (as far as a citation trail goes, it's hard to say for sure) and they actually own Eternal Darkness. If they didn't own Eternal Darkness, they wouldn't renew its trademark every few years and Denis Dyack would have made crowdfunding campaigns for a sequel, not a spiritual successor.

Vrbtm

Xenoblade totally doesn't "feel" like a Nintendo game imo, or at least X and 2 don't (I've admittedly never played 1). Clunky, poorly polished platforming? Textures that load while on screen? Brain dead gameplay that still somehow manages to be overly complex? It's like the polar opposite of Mario. Man I'm making it sound like I really hate Xenoblade here, I actually really loved Xenoblade X.

Yet it's still a Nintendo game all the same and no one seems to be arguing against Shulk being in the roster (aside from dumb anime swordsmen arguments which was a long time ago for him). Whoever it was that said 3rd party characters have cooties wasn't kidding.
I would definitely argue that Xenoblade has no place in Smash, but I'm biased against anime trash.

Vrbtm

I feel like I've gone back to when DLC was becoming common and everyone just indiscriminately called it all a scam.
That would be because that's all it is.

I come from that era. I never changed my mind and I probably never will.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My favorite part about all this Grinch leak drama is that we're treating all insiders like some sort of hivemind or secret cult that all share the same credentials, personalities and beliefs. Like if one insider says something rude or backtracks then they all did.
I would definitely argue that Xenoblade has no place in Smash, but I'm biased against anime trash.
*Glances at avatar*

Ironic.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also the inevitable "**** YOU SAKURAI THIS ISN'T THE CHARACTER I WANTED HOW DARE YOU I WILL HATE YOU FOREVER MORE". Bonus points if 3 years later they go "Oh thank you Sakurai, this means a lot to us, we'll make a thank you card. By the way that thing from 3 years ago is still bull****"
This feels like a very specific complaints and I think I know why.

Regardless, it was originally developed by Tecmo.
And Pokemon is developed by Game Freak.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Biased against anime trash.

But you have Roy as your avatar?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
*looks at avatar*
Bull ****ing **** you are
Video games are not art.
I mean, what IS 'art'? That's the issue. Cause it means different things. Granted, this guy is acting like movies are art but special edition DVDs with bonus features are bad

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I find it pointless to be biased against any character because as long as there are those who enjoy them, then they are justified. Others' happiness is more important than some personal criteria. Just my two cents.

Plus the "anime" argument is dumb. Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom