• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Sad face for Nintendo... how many people will watch that, after a 40 minute Smash Direct? If you do, though, I commend you. :ultfalcon:Seal of approval
I watch the Treehouse streams after the E3 presentations, which itself airs at 3am for me and goes for like 8 hours at a time.

This one, I'll watch a bit of it. The Direct is only at 1 am but I've got places to be on the day and an early start the next day. Not going to watch anymore than say, half an hour of it live.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Dude if that is the case, I might actually not buy this game
Same here... I mean, if a Tetromino got in, over the hugely requested characters like Issac, Geno, and Mach Rider (but not as much as the others) then how would it even function? I can imagine a Tetris stage, which would be cool (a bit like one of the stage hazards from 3DS in SSF2) or maybe an assist trophy (which would function similarly) but as a character? I wouldn't say so. Then again, Wii Fit Trainer and R.O.B...

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I'll say this, we need to hope our favorite characters werent reduced to ATs or came back as them in Ultimate.

Honestly, being an AT is worse than not being in the game, because it likely prevents the character from being a DLC slot. So I hope in the least for me, Banjo, Geno, Isaac and Chorus Kids are left out of this slot. Not that I don't care about the others, but I'm sure most people were set on these 4 being in.

The only person who is specifically claiming Isaac as an AT is Vergeben, and I have a feeling he's only doing it because of the mental breakdown it's causing and he knows it. The internet was treating him like ****, he's just getting back at them. None of the other credible insiders have at all named names for AT's, and even some (2, in fact) have claimed they are very confident he's playable, with or without the possible Wendy's item shown off.

I personally think the AT or ATs are Mach Rider and Shadow, but we'll see.

The only other exciting prospect for me about this leak possibly not being real now is that any number of echoes are still possible (Dixie, Impa, etc) and other new characters (Dante, Skull Kid, BWD,Rayman, etc), so the prospect of possibly being shocked by a reveal returns. I do want it to be the Grinch leak though. I'd take that over anything else, but in the least, I hope none of my 4 boys get deconfirmed via AT tmrw:(

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
If the Grinch leak is false, I'll hold it against the person who made it, not Sakurai and the team that made Smash. The only thing that can actually bring the game down from greatness is if Steve and Incineroar were the final unique newcomers in the base roster, but with forty minutes, and Sakurai trying to make this game blow us away (which he already has) as much as he can, I do not see that happening.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Hi, back from the class. Is there any spoilers I should avoid?
Different people are saying such different things about the roster that I wouldn't really say they count as spoilers: it's hard to be properly spoiled when you don't know who or what to believe.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Honestly, being an AT is worse than not being in the game, because it likely prevents the character from being a DLC slot.
...Wow. What a horrible mindset.

I share the exact opposite opinion. For me, a character being DLC is worse than them never being in the game (even as an AT).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As long as it's not a leak about a certain character inclusion, I'm good. I just saw the spoiler tag now (it might be there for long, I'm not good at this stuff)
I added the warning spoilers bit. But yeah, it is. It's being talked about openly.

So do what you need to do. :)

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
I am not going to lie here, if Isaac isn't playable but 6-7 others including some 3rd party who has almost nothing to do with Smash like £@#£### MINECRAFT STEVE I'll be seriously salty. Of the characters in the leak, I feel he deserves it the most, having three games to his name (although from my understanding, his son is the protagonist of the third game). I haven't even gotten around to playing Golden Sun, but I have heard nothing but good things about it and I really enjoy JRPGs, so I'll no doubt love it.. ... and then be disappointed that the Golden Boi isn't in Smash. :(

Last edited:

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
I can see Minecraft Steve as an assist, putting blocks on the stage and attacking with a sword, but then i would feel bad about its supporters, honestly

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Negative reactions are cringe?
There's nothing more cringe than those reactions for Everyone is Here where people cheer at the concept, then a certain top ranking fighter in the meta who shan't be named because we all know who she is and we all know while technically she does need the nerf, it's really cringe to be excited at the concept of ''EVERYONE IS HERE" and then boo one character in particular.

You don't get to have both my children.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll say this, we need to hope our favorite characters werent reduced to ATs or came back as them in Ultimate.

Honestly, being an AT is worse than not being in the game, because it likely prevents the character from being a DLC slot. So I hope in the least for me, Banjo, Geno, Isaac and Chorus Kids are left out of this slot. Not that I don't care about the others, but I'm sure most people were set on these 4 being in.

The only person who is specifically claiming Isaac as an AT is Vergeben, and I have a feeling he's only doing it because of the mental breakdown it's causing and he knows it. The internet was treating him like ****, he's just getting back at them. None of the other credible insiders have at all named names for AT's, and even some (2, in fact) have claimed they are very confident he's playable, with or without the possible Wendy's item shown off.

The only other exciting prospect for me about this leak possibly not being real now is that any number of echoes are still possible (Dixie, Impa, etc) and other new characters (Dante, Skull Kid, BWD,Rayman, etc), so the prospect of possibly being shocked by a reveal returns. I do want it to be the Grinch leak though. I'd take that over anything else, but in the least, I hope none of my 4 boys get deconfirmed via AT tmrw:(
I doubt a character has a chance to become playable through DLC anyway if Sakurai sees them a fit to AT role.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
...Wow. What a horrible mindset.

I share the exact opposite opinion. For me, a character being DLC is worse than them never being in the game (even as an AT).
What? Being an AT, while unconfirmed, means Sakurai's stance on the character at that point is they aren't playable for a reason or don't deserve it. Look at his old Waluigi AT post for Smash 4, that's exactly how he put it with him.

I'd rather them not be in at all, then see them as ATs and never get them. I dont see how that's a horrible mindset tbh

I doubt a character has a chance to become playable through DLC anyway if Sakurai sees them a fit to AT role.
That's my point lol, I DONT want to see Isaac as an AT, because it kills his chances for DLC that much more, just like many other characters.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Dude if that is the case, I might actually not buy this game
You're still buying the game. Regardless of who does and doesn't get revealed in this Direct, if you were excited back in June when it was revealed that every character + Inklings and Ridley would be in Ultimate, then nothing should persuade you from changing your mind.

Unless Isaac getting in is literally the only reason you've ever been invested with this game.

I think ATs get a bad rep for no good reason. Yeah, they might "deconfirm" your character from getting in base game, but it's still a huge accomplishment regardless.

Think of it this way. There's about 50 ATs in this game, and Sakurai chose your character to be one. That's way better than pulling for your character till the very end only to get absolutely nothing.

osby

Smash Obsessed
What? Being an AT, while unconfirmed, means Sakurai's stance on the character at that point is they aren't playable for a reason or don't deserve it. Look at his old Waluigi AT post for Smash 4, that's exactly how he put it with him.

I'd rather them not be in at all, then see them as ATs and never get them. I dont see how that's a horrible mindset tbh
It isn't horrible but it's kinda weird, like "this character shouldn't be in the game if it's not in the way I want".

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
There's nothing more cringe than those reactions for Everyone is Here where people cheer at the concept, then a certain top ranking fighter in the meta who shan't be named because we all know who she is and we all know while technically she does need the nerf, it's really cringe to be excited at the concept of ''EVERYONE IS HERE" and then boo one character in particular.

Says the Bayo main

Vrbtm

That was really what the worst thing was about Bayonetta's initial DLC trailer, because having a Smash game that brings back every single cut character was my dream game for awhile. But it's significantly less novel of a concept when one of my least favorite characters in all of video games wound up in the roster, meaning that, if I wanted my dream game, I would have to stomach having her no matter what.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
It isn't horrible but it's kinda weird, like "this character shouldn't be in the game if it's not in the way I want".
Yes, that's exactly my point. I know it's completely an entitled thing to say. Isn't wanting a Smash character entirely based on entitlement at this point? No character deserves to be in over another obviously.

But I'm just holding out hope for it. I and many people have wanted Isaac for a long time. To be left out of 4, only to return as an AT is a hard pill to swallow, personally.

Anyway, I'm putting all of my stock on Geno being one of the surprises by the end of this direct at least, that way Sakurai at least did the trio (Ridley and K. Rool included) and the memed 5 will just be the memed 2 lol (Banjo and Isaac)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Says the Bayo main
That's bait right there.

But the funny thing is. I'm the one whose treated like crap for it and....yet I also agree with the ones who agree that she needs the nerf in a civil manner, yet I never get civility back?

Weird.

It's not a ''Says the ___ main" thing. It's a don't be childish thing. It could be literally any other character in Smash 4 and I'd feel the same. Just cause someone breaks the meta doesn't mean you get to boo their return. Just wait patiently for the inevitable nerf because we all know it's coming.

Don't take it out on the character or their fans, especially those of them, who like me agree with you about said problems she has.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That was really what the worst thing was about Bayonetta's initial DLC trailer was, because having a Smash game that brings back every single cut character was my dream game for awhile. But it's significantly less novel of a concept when one of my least favorite characters in all of video games wound up in the roster, meaning that, if I wanted my dream game, I would have to stomach having her no matter what.
Not that I didn't voice similar complaints in the past, but there are like, more than seventy other characters in the roster. How hard it can be stomaching a single one?

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
I seriously love the Bayonetta games, but I will say her reputation in Smash has almost ruined the character for me.

Vrbtm

I just hate DLC with a passion. The full roster should not be locked behind a paywall, especially if they're pushing for the game to be more competitive and everything. It's scummy to nickel-and-dime people for a fundamental aspect of the game.

I like Assist Trophies and believe 90% of them deserve to be assist trophies and nothing more. Sakurai has good judgment when it comes to that, with the exception of Waluigi, who has no excuse not to be playable at this point.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm just going to repost this video in this thread-

So you, who have been pretty "Eh **** insiders, all of them", is putting stock in an insider who's saying the banner's right, but Incineroar(Which would also more or less confirm Vergeben and a handful of others) is also right?

'Kay then.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
You're still buying the game. Regardless of who does and doesn't get revealed in this Direct, if you were excited back in June when it was revealed that every character + Inklings and Ridley would be in Ultimate, then nothing should persuade you from changing your mind.

Unless Isaac getting in is literally the only reason you've ever been invested with this game.

I think ATs get a bad rep for no good reason. Yeah, they might "deconfirm" your character from getting in base game, but it's still a huge accomplishment regardless.

Think of it this way. There's about 50 ATs in this game, and Sakurai chose your character to be one. That's way better than pulling for your character till the very end only to get absolutely nothing.

Guys I know lol. I'm not going to be pissy at Sakurai for doing it. I'm just hoping he isn't so DLC is a thing for him. That's all. It's completely biased and a personal opinion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's called bias
I'll keep in mind that I shouldn't trust anything you say about K.Rool, then.

I seriously love the Bayonetta games, but I will say her reputation in Smash has almost ruined the character for me.
People got over their hate for Meta Knight, I don't know what's so hard about Bayonetta.

I just hate DLC with a passion. The full roster should not be locked behind a paywall, especially if they're pushing for the game to be more competitive and everything. It's scummy to nickel-and-dime people for a fundamental aspect of the game.

I like Assist Trophies and believe 90% of them deserve to be assist trophies and nothing more. Sakurai has good judgment when it comes to that, with the exception of Waluigi, who has no excuse not to be playable at this point.
It's not locked behind a paywall, because those characters don't even exist when you purchase the game.

I love Bayonetta, regardless of her Smash incarnation.
Same *hi-five*

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

Well that's the unfortunate thing. The newcomer count this time is small and DLC is a route Nintendo takes now with their games unfortunately.

But anyway, it's not really locked behind a paywall if they create the content after the game is out. It's completely justified.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge

The only other exciting prospect for me about this leak possibly not being real now is that any number of echoes are still possible (Dixie, Impa, etc) and other new characters (Dante, Skull Kid, BWD,Rayman, etc), so the prospect of possibly being shocked by a reveal returns. I do want it to be the Grinch leak though. I'd take that over anything else, but in the least, I hope none of my 4 boys get deconfirmed via AT tmrw
You know what... That makes too much sense. I mean, WAHHH...

Vrbtm

Not that I didn't voice similar complaints in the past, but there are like, more than seventy other characters in the roster. How hard it can be stomaching a single one?
Well, it's not like she's the only character I'd cut.

If it were up to me, Dark Pit, Corrin, Bowser Jr, and Ridley would go bye-bye as well.

But, yeah. It's not that hard to stomach, I'm just being a little dramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom