• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Exactly. That would mean we're only getting one unique fighter in the 40 minute direct.
How on earth can people think that we're only getting one newcomer and one echo in 40 minutes?

The direct will SURELY open and close with character trailers.
I doubt the direct will close with a character trailer, more likely since it;s the final one it'll close with a brief trailer of all the characters.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Ironically, if the earthquake rumors are true, then Isaac WILL be the absolute first thing shown because he was meant to be shown at the last direct.
Looking forward to it...
Me too. Grinch leak is still unbreakable. Dont trust the leakers and insiders.

I trust papageno and his source.
At first I wasnt too sure.. But then I saw Skull Kid on the banner hidden beside the Mach Rider and thought hey papagenos papagenos and his source may be on to something especially considering characters such as Incineroar, Sora and Medusa being later saved for dlc. #ImWithTeamReal

Last edited:

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Actually, here's a question. If Golden Sun were getting an AT again, wouldn't it be Matthew since he's the most recent protagonist?

The only reason to pick Isaac would be popularity.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Mmm just realizing that Isaac being an AT after no deconfirmation for months actually could be Sakurai-eque... Ridley in Smash 4 reminded me. X_X

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
What if verge felt bad that the surprise was ruined and he was partially at fault, so he decided to ruin all of what we were excited for, therefore when we see that the Grinch leak was real, we can all flip out withh excitment. Or am I just desperate at this point. I need Banjo to be revived and this is the one chance in gaming history

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Alright, totally zen now.

-Insiders still have conflicting information, all are generally vague about everything
-Grinch leak is still not effectively debunked, everyone has shifted from further analyzing > panicking and focusing on insiders, literally no progress has been made since the Direct announcement and sudden massive flow of 'leaks' and insider talk.

Nothing is confirmed. No reason to trust any insiders at the moment, there's too many conflicting statements, too many inconsistencies, and not enough substantial proof other than "you'll see" and "trust me". Grinch leak is also up in the air as a result. 40 minutes is plenty of time for 5 uniques and 2 echoes, but we also don't know the other contents of the direct.

Can we all CALM DOWN? I know we're coming up very close to the final announcements for base game, but if we descend into chaos we're only giving insiders exactly what they want right now.(Otherwise they clearly would've given their info before the leak and direct.)

Another nice thing for the thread would be to stop shifting from one thing to another, disregarding the previous one and taking the new one as fact.

You're all playing right into the hands of chaos and only contributing to FURTHER descending into it.

Last edited:
I don't think that's what he meant.

He kind of just says "Even if it doesn't have all of the characters on the banner, it doesnt mean you wont be happy with the characters so look forward to that." In a wink wink kind of manner
Which is what I don’t get because most of us don’t give a **** about Inceneroar, no offense to his fans.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
What if verge felt bad that the surprise was ruined and he was partially at fault, so he decided to ruin all of what we were excited for, therefore when we see that the Grinch leak was real, we can all flip out withh excitment. Or am I just desperate at this point. I need Banjo to be revived and this is the one chance in gaming history
Vergeben hates the Smash community so that’s definitely not true.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I'd totally agree if I thought Isaac stood a decent chance at DLC, but I don't think they'd choose such a niche character who serves no foreseeable promotional role to be DLC. I think they're either gonna go big, go promotional, or in a pinch, go with an originally planned candidate. In the base roster it's a package deal, so they can slip in the niche or wtf characters. But I think Isaac would have a harder time being a standalone product.

Like for instance, I feel being an AT is much more crippling for the likes of Waluigi or Bomberman, because I think otherwise they'd have real shots at DLC.
I can completely understand that. I do think that it may well be the case that Isaac is too niche for them to think he'd sell well enough as DLC, given Golden Sun is essentially a dead series. But I'd still rather have the slim hope that I'm underestimating that than have none at all, personally. Especially considering the list of characters who would genuinely excite me to see made playable is so short now, and half of it is already stuck in AT status.
(Isaac, Banjo, Lyn, Midna.)

JoshOmega

Smash Rookie
Shut up Vergeben or you're gonna get these hands!!

#TeamReal, the Grinch leak will be confirmed real this Thursday at the Super Smash Bros Ultimate pay per view and Isaac, I will looking forward to seeing you in Smashville!
I read get these hands in Bruan strowmans voice lol points for anyone who knows who he is

Last edited:

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
I doubt the direct will close with a character trailer, more likely since it;s the final one it'll close with a brief trailer of all the characters.
No, it probably will end with a zinger just like the Ridley and K Rool direct did. They know that people love "after the credits" moments and there's a treehouse directly after to show a character that it may introduce.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The thing I find silly about certain fans acting personally insulted when their characters didn't make the cut is I've personally experienced that before.

When Smash 3DS released and I found out Mewtwo wasn't in? I was disappointed, sure, but I didn't paint myself or Mewtwo as some sort of victim by a spiteful Sakurai. Of course the 50-fact extravaganza came along and confirmed him as DLC, but there was still a point in time where I had to put up with him not being in the game with no signs of him ever making it back. And you know what? It wasn't really all that bad.

Then there's Dillon, who despite not being my favorite character ever, I still feel has a ton of potential for a moveset. I'm also very worried about the future of his franchise. He's not deconfirmed just yet but I'm not counting on him being playable at all just yet. If anything, I'm worried by the fact that we haven't seen his assist trophy yet.
Actually, here's a question. If Golden Sun were getting an AT again, wouldn't it be Matthew since he's the most recent protagonist?

Not really, since Isaac is the more "iconic" one. I think they'd prioritize the original for their initial pick, kind of like how they use Marth as the main "FE guy". Not to mention that Isaac probably got far more ballot votes since he was the one Golden Sun fans were rallying behind.

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
My main hopes and hype for the direct now is hopefully good online with a ranking system, and really good single player content(spirits...hopefully story) banking on not really caring about any character reveals until DLC...
What OTHER than characters are you guys hype about? I really feel like this spirits mode is going to be a blowout, considering how Sakurai’s been Hiding it
(Watch it be SmashTour ultimate, where the icons you move are characters condemned to assist trophy limbo ;,-*

Noipoi

Howdy!
No matter what happens, or who's right or wrong. I can't wait to wake up at 9 in the morning, spend some time for about 55 minutes, rush to the kitchen to grab my Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream I saved just for a direct, rush back to my room, close the door, plop into my worn down chair, tune into Nintendo's Youtube channel, and enjoy 40+ minutes of Super Smash Brothers Ultimate.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
So hypothetically what would we all do if Isaac ends up being the first character shown as a newcomer in the direct?

Personally, I'd breath a sigh of relief and then yell "Suck it Vergy!"
Cry tears of joy.

Honestly I'm not sure why I've gotten so attached to Isaac, I've never even played Golden Sun, it's just he seems like he'd be a fun character from what I've heard of him. Also Sakurai has yet to give me an anime sword boi newcomer (Chrom's an echo, he doesn't fully count), and since I exclusively main anime sword bois, I'm hurt by this.

Though I guess Richter is close enough.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I assume someone has brought this up but...

there are two versions of isaac, young and old.

sakurai saying something like "isaacs playable but the older dark dawn version is an assist!" is a completely plausible thing that could happen.

without actually having a final copy of the game theres logical reasons for thing people have heard or seen where as everything surrounding the grinch leak just seems unfakable imo.

I have no idea for sure of course, but Im trusting the grinch leak until ACP-PLV comes out and announces they arent making promotional material for smash which they havent.

printed material seems more final than what people may have heard or even seen. Vergeben has been great for predicting smash, but I never thought he had a copy of the game or something so again printed material seems more final to me.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Tank summon Final Smash?
Another landmaster?!?!?!is not like he need to escape some archives or anything :p
ry least, makes it extremely, EXTREMELY unlikely they'll be DLC. That means whatever character gets deconfirmed is just screwed for that Smash game, and thei
I think that the only thing that really hurts ATs is people abandoning them, and sink in popularity.

Ironically, if the earthquake rumors are true, then Isaac WILL be the absolute first thing shown because he was meant to be shown at the last direct.
I find the erthquake theory very silly... plus it wasnt the earthquake the big catastrophe... it was teh earthquake combined with the torrential rains that had the mountains full of loose mud and earth.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
im probably taking a break from smashboards. it helped me get hype last night and some of today when the direct was announced but this defeatist attitude is kinda impacting my hype, and its hard for me to stay excited when two credible sources are insisting on two of the only three characters ive ever actually wanted arent in lol.

i guess if the direct isnt garbage like vergeben and every other insder says it is ill be back, farewell from the girl that was here for like, a day

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
View attachment 173899

Has Sakurai ever went back on this?
If not, I think that puts the playable AT discussion in bed until he actually officially goes back on it.

You can screencap this all you want and if it happens, I'll happily eat my words, but until then... I'll hope for the best, but I expect nothing.
Signed, resident Lyn fan.
View attachment 173903
Was Waluigi's support in 2014-2015 huge enough to matter? As far as I'm aware, the bulk of his support didn't come until he became a huge meme in 2016/2017. And this year, it's only ramped up due to Ultimate's greater popularity and the nature of the E3 Direct.

I would not at all be surprised if Waluigi is made playable in Ultimate at some point. Reggie even confirmed that Sakurai is aware of the outcry. Not saying it's all that likely, but I wouldn't discount it if the support is high enough.

Although, with the way many of Waluigi's supporters have taken to harassing Sakurai over it, I would be less surprised if he just ignored it completely.

But for other AT characters, I wouldn't say it's impossible. If the numbers are there, and they make their voices heard, I don't see why it can't happen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Popularity is likely the reason he's back at all. Why else would a series without a post-Smash-4 entry and a previously cut AT even come back if not for popularity?

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I don't think there's any way they won't do a "one more thing" type moment. Maybe it'll come before the big trailer of all of the characters, but there will definitely be a reveal towards the very end of the direct.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
What was that Batman quote about living too long to become the villain? 'Cause that's Vergeben right now apparently

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
This direct is going to be so crazy, imagine if the Toby leaker was real all along because he predicted Issac as an AT as well as Ashley, alongside every character for the 8.8.18 direct minus Richter. We'd be getting Rayman, Funky, and Black Shadow - not bad but not Banjo..

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
The thing I find silly about certain fans acting personally insulted when their characters didn't make the cut is I've personally experienced that before.
There's a difference between being personally insulted and being unhappy. Being personally insulted would be an extremely silly viewpoint to have. Being unhappy is completely normal.

D

Deleted member

Popularity is likely the reason he's back at all. Why else would a series without a post-Smash-4 entry and a previously cut AT even come back if not for popularity?
Popularity is not the only reason, but it is the biggest. Isaac is unique and is a bit iconic.

Also he is a precious golden boy and he is hot.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
As much as I'm pro-leak, if it's fake, we still get 75+ characters in the end, along with likely major DLC support, which is absolutely amazing for a fighting game this popular.

I'm just hoping certain characters aren't AT's, as in the least I can hope they can make it via DLC (Isaac I'm looking at you, stay alive please)

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
I'm not going to say "I told you so", but this is exactly why people should have tempered their expectations. I'm glad I didn't fully buy into it, but I'm really saddened for the people that had genuine hope. The fallout is not going to be pretty.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Nah, I'm not depressed or anything, though I've brushed with it before and it wasn't pretty. But I'm way over that. Just being melodramatic and taking Verge's comments hard. I really only have myself to blame for getting so invested and believing the Grinch.

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I may not have responded to all of your posts but I did read them all and I appreciate you for trying to help me. Come what may, we all share a love for this amazing game and the amazing man behind it all. Sakurai may not always make the decisions you, the community, or I want, but he certainly has affected all of us so deeply in so many positive ways.

Done being an attention *****, see you after the direct everyone :)

Naiko3232

Smash Apprentice

sakurai saying something like "isaacs playable but the older dark dawn version is an assist!" is a completely plausible thing that could happen.

without actually having a final copy of the game theres logical reasons for thing people have heard or seen where as everything surrounding the grinch leak just seems unfakable imo.

I have no idea for sure of course, but Im trusting the grinch leak until ACP-PLV comes out and announces they arent making promotional material for smash which they havent.

printed material seems more final than what people may have heard or even seen. Vergeben has been great for predicting smash, but I never thought he had a copy of the game or something so again printed material seems more final to me.
...This makes a lot of sense.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!

There is also the Isaac from Binding of Isaac, maybe hes the assist trophy Verge is referring to.. Shovel Knight is a assist trophy too and Isaac from Binding of Isaac is a indie game rep just like Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can completely understand that. I do think that it may well be the case that Isaac is too niche for them to think he'd sell well enough as DLC, given Golden Sun is essentially a dead series. But I'd still rather have the slim hope that I'm underestimating that than have none at all, personally. Especially considering the list of characters who would genuinely excite me to see made playable is so short now, and half of it is already stuck in AT status.
(Isaac, Banjo, Lyn, Midna.)
I understand, I had that hope last time, but it only lasts so long before you're (imo) likely left with nothing. And I'd rather have something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom