• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I assume someone has brought this up but...

there are two versions of isaac, young and old.

sakurai saying something like "isaacs playable but the older dark dawn version is an assist!" is a completely plausible thing that could happen.

without actually having a final copy of the game theres logical reasons for thing people have heard or seen where as everything surrounding the grinch leak just seems unfakable imo.

I have no idea for sure of course, but Im trusting the grinch leak until ACP-PLV comes out and announces they arent making promotional material for smash which they havent.

printed material seems more final than what people may have heard or even seen. Vergeben has been great for predicting smash, but I never thought he had a copy of the game or something so again printed material seems more final to me.
I get hyped whenever you put out your statements on new findings in Smash Ultimate speculation. It's freaking ecstatic. XD

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
There is also the Isaac from Binding of Isaac, maybe hes the assist trophy Verge is referring to.. Shovel Knight is a assist trophy too and Isaac from Binding of Isaac is a indie character just like Shovel Knight.
As good of a troll as that would be, Verg specifically mentioned the banner, so he meant Golden Sun Isaac.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
There is also the Isaac from Binding of Isaac, maybe hes the assist trophy Verge is referring to.. Shovel Knight is a assist trophy too and Isaac from Binding of Isaac is a indie character just like Shovel Knight.
I think Vergeben would have specified, though I'm still in the dark as to what Vergeben actually said

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Mmm just realizing that Isaac being an AT after no deconfirmation for months actually could be Sakurai-eque... Ridley in Smash 4 reminded me. X_X
We can't apply that here though.

Did everyone forget.

Ashley was literally backed the **** off(sorry ashley fans) last second in a direct.

Sakurai threw her in a montage of only new assist trophies, didn't even give her a tag, and made sure her fans knew well in advance she wasn't in.

Sakurai not doing the same for Geno or Issac is one of the most improbable outcomes.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to pop in to quickly leave my 2 cents...

I still believe that there's hope in the Grinch leak. I read a thread on gamefaqs where people were really hating on Verg, calling him a fake and such (right as the Grinch Leak was popular) and Verg really wasn't the best at responding to those messages, often having a bit of an attitude. Perhaps calling Issaac an AT is him messing with people, putting down their spirits. Idk, but I'm not putting all my cards in vergeben's deck.

For Issaac to be in Brawl, absent in Sm4sh, and come back as an AT again in Ultimate is really strange to me. If Sakurai wants to bring back Issaac, after seeing the Ballot results and even making a Golden Sun item, I don't understand why making him an AT makes any sense at all

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Welp, I decided to come back early after hearing about Vergeben and the rest of what the insiders are saying now. It's after midnight where I'm at (Happy Halloween) so I guess I made it a day without SmashBoards. Anyway. here's some points I have about what is going on:

• Isaac is an Assist. This just doesn't make any sense to me. Why would Sakurai hint at Isaac when he is just an Assist? Especially when he is a very popular character and highly requested? Other characters like Waluigi and Ashley were confirmed as Assists pretty early, and even Assists from Smash 4 like Skull Kid were deconfirmed as playable pretty quickly as well, I believe. I would maybe believe he wasn't playable if he said he was a Story cameo or he was going to be DLC, but Sakurai bringing him back as an Assist when he wasn't one in Smash 4 doesn't make an sense. Not to mention that the new item may be Golden Sun-related and the Golden Sun trademark was renewed this year.
  • Shadow is an Assist. With Knuckles being confirmed as an Assist trophy, why wouldn't Sakurai just go ahead and say something like "Shadow is returning as an Assist, and this time, Knuckles is joining him!" or something like that? I don't see why Sakurai would wait to reveal him.
  • Mach Rider is a collectable Trophy. Another character Sakurai hinted at. Sakurai's toy that he had showed off has a gun that looks almost exactly like the one Mach Rider has in the leaked banner. If he really is just a collectable Trophy, this would be even WORSE than Isaac in my opinion. Hinting at a character that is really just an Assist already is bad, but now a character that is just a Trophy? Also, wasn't Mach Rider's trademark renewed this year too?

There are some other things that are weird to me. What Vergeben has said conflicts with what Mystic has been saying, and while I do think Vergeben is more credible, this is another case of insiders' sources completely contradicting each other and kinda puts us in a position where we just kinda have to guess who is right or wrong.

Vergeben a while back mentioned how fake information may have been starting to be giving out and he was thinking about just waiting out the launch of Ultimate, and other insiders more recently have been acting like talking about the leak could get them or their sources in trouble or something. It just makes me wonder why Vergeben has returned now after waiting so long, especially since he seems to hate GameFAQs now, and why he would say Isaac is an Assist of all things (if it's true talking about the leak is risky, would that be risky to say? I don't know). Seems odd to me. I don't think that he's lying, I just wonder what changed his mind and makes him okay with saying that -- does he think it isn't a risk?

I have to say that things are starting to get pretty spicy, but I'm still going to say that it's real. It still seems that we are going more than Incineroar and Ken, and I think anything other than the Box Theory is fine by me.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I'm just gonna say what I think.

I don't believe and insiders or Verg anymore after this past week, nor do I fully really trust the Grinch either.

I have no strong ties to any character on the banner, Shadow at most so for the first time in Smash history I feel unbiased.

I trust nobody but Nintendo. Isaac and the rest live in my eyes until Sakurai says otherwise. Don't give up hope.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I'm not going to say "I told you so", but this is exactly why people should have tempered their expectations. I'm glad I didn't fully buy into it, but I'm really saddened for the people that had genuine hope. The fallout is not going to be pretty.
Bro you from the future?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Grinch is still growing strong and hasn’t been debunked yet, the large amount of evidence is still there.

Unless someone out there has solid proof it’s fake, the only person who can truly debunk it atm is Sakurai himself.

I never trusted Vergeben and I hated how overrated his claims were just because he was lucky enough not to get anything wrong so far, NOTHING he says is guaranteed.

Unless something is officially confirmed that absolutely matches his claims, I’m calling BS on him and refuse to take his “info” as gospel.

I’m stubborn as a mule on this leak and I’m gonna stay that way until Thursday.

#TEAMREAL

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Who/what did he predict/leak?
Someone's going to tell you this:

- Ken and Incineroar are in
- Shadow and Isaac are ATs
- Mach Rider and Chorus Men are Trophies
- Geno and Banjo are unknown
- there are 1-2 or more unknown characters also left.

However, he never confirmed it was at all that comment. He never even responded to that comment. He said it after many people said many things in a variety of combinations.

So, we don't know exactly.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Questions: Besides Vergeben, why did all these insiders come out with info after the grinch leak after doing nothing for the longest time?
See my comment here.

im probably taking a break from smashboards. it helped me get hype last night and some of today when the direct was announced but this defeatist attitude is kinda impacting my hype, and its hard for me to stay excited when two credible sources are insisting on two of the only three characters ive ever actually wanted arent in lol.

i guess if the direct isnt garbage like vergeben and every other insder says it is ill be back, farewell from the girl that was here for like, a day
It's surprising how confident most people were with the Grinch leak just days ago, and now that's all slowly crumbled. I suppose it's better for that to happen before the Direct than during, but it sucks to see everyone get so distraught.

With all the conflicting information, though, it's safe to say that no one has the full story. No one had the full story for the August or September Directs, either, so why would anyone have that now? The only thing that's changed are the stakes. This is the last Direct, so it's getting the most attention and investment, and thus every opportunistic insider is trying to make a statement. But their stories are all different, so there's definitely something amiss.

Don't abandon all hope. Sakurai's record for this game is unprecedented in terms of how many home-run characters and features have been added. I don't think this Direct will be the trash fire people are thinking it will be.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
-Grinch leak is still not effectively debunked, everyone has shifted from further analyzing > panicking and focusing on insiders, literally no progress has been made since the Direct announcement and sudden massive flow of 'leaks' and insider talk.
There's been no progress on it for several days. The pictures have been analyzed front and back. We've dealt with everything the leak itself has to offer

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There's a difference between being personally insulted and being unhappy. Being personally insulted would be an extremely silly viewpoint to have. Being unhappy is completely normal.
Yes, I agree. Being disappointed or unhappy is completely reasonable as long as you're mature about it. I won't lie that I was very disappointed when Mewtwo wasn't in Smash 3DS. I personally will even be among those who will be disappointed if Isaac truly isn't playable.

But I see people calling their character getting deconfirmed as an assist trophy "a slap in the face" or "an insult to their fans". I've even see some people say that Sakurai is a horrible troll or jerk because of it. That's the mentality I'm calling out here.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Alright boys, get ready! We're deploying at insider island.

Its time to take back Smash!

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
We can't apply that here though.

Did everyone forget.

Ashley was literally backed the **** off(sorry ashley fans) last second in a direct.

Sakurai threw her in a montage of only new assist trophies, didn't even give her a tag, and made sure her fans knew well in advance she wasn't in.

Sakurai not doing the same for Geno or Issac is one of the most improbable outcomes.
Yeah this is may be the worst part. Revealing a character as an AT early on is something that is done for almost all characters who are popular but can't make the cut. Not doing that for some of the most popular choices is kind of a **** move.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I assume someone has brought this up but...

there are two versions of isaac, young and old.

sakurai saying something like "isaacs playable but the older dark dawn version is an assist!" is a completely plausible thing that could happen.

without actually having a final copy of the game theres logical reasons for thing people have heard or seen where as everything surrounding the grinch leak just seems unfakable imo.

I have no idea for sure of course, but Im trusting the grinch leak until ACP-PLV comes out and announces they arent making promotional material for smash which they havent.

printed material seems more final than what people may have heard or even seen. Vergeben has been great for predicting smash, but I never thought he had a copy of the game or something so again printed material seems more final to me.
Honestly, you're the most cool-headed, logical and reasonable guy here.
Completely agree that there's no way any of these "insider leakers" could know what the full roster is. Too many contradictions and whatnot.
And the timing seems right for the Grinch to be true.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
As good of a troll as that would be, Verg specifically mentioned the banner, so he meant Golden Sun Isaac.
Verg is gonna get these hands!!

Btw Braun says he wants Isaac in Smash.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Vergeben is an ass and anybody who frequented the MVCI boards knows he's a snake oil peddler at best. Yeah, he has some sources. He also edits things when he gets them wrong and his SC6 track record is absolutely atrocious. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he's getting his sources from someone else considering he's always late to the party on just about everything.

And no, guessing Ridley (who was teased by many people before him), Isabelle (the biggest no brainer to have ever lived), and Simon (while somehow not getting Richter) is not all that "accurate." Really, he hasn't said anything that other people haven't already put out there and his story changed a whole hell of a lot before E3, I remember one leak he threw out and then immediately tried to damage control saying we were getting a bunch of third party reps.

His only big hit was the turtles in Injustice 2, and the incredibly vague "Groh's dad."

So combine that with the fact that he's so annoying not even r/kappa can stand him and I think it's safe to say that we need to take whatever he says with a few fistfulls of salt and assume he's probably not the first one to have heard it at best.

What if verge felt bad that the surprise was ruined and he was partially at fault, so he decided to ruin all of what we were excited for, therefore when we see that the Grinch leak was real, we can all flip out withh excitment. Or am I just desperate at this point. I need Banjo to be revived and this is the one chance in gaming history
Vergeben never does anything to be nice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright boys, get ready! We're deploying at insider island.

Its time to take back Smash!
Are you saying you want this police girl that reminds me of Mad Max in Smash?
I do not bite, I am playing around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
This direct is going to be so crazy, imagine if the Toby leaker was real all along because he predicted Issac as an AT as well as Ashley, alongside every character for the 8.8.18 direct minus Richter. We'd be getting Rayman, Funky, and Black Shadow - not bad but not Banjo..
I find it really funny that him and the Dante leaker have survived to this moment actually lmao....

SonicMario

Smash Master
Thursday will be the very first time the full roster is known in live reactions. We didn't usually get that chance in the past two games since they leaked and/or were secret. But we'll actually have live reactions to people knowing who's in base and who's not. There will be salty comments on livestream and maybe salty livestreamers themselves that get angry and/or sad on camera if their most wanted don't make it or even deconfirmed as an assist.

There will also be some on the flipside for character's people wanted getting in as well. But it's going to be an explosive day on thursday. And tomorrow is going to be the most tense day of speculation yet. Buckle up, everyone.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Does this man think Isaac is a third-party?
I can't believe Nintendo sold Golden Sun to Sega.

Now issac looks like Boom sonic. What are we gonna do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom