• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If we were to actually get the Grinch characters as playable, newcomer debuts by year would look like this for comparison

• Mach Rider: 1985
  • Ridley: 1986
  • Simon Belmont: 1986
  • Ken: 1987
  • Daisy: 1989
  • Richter Belmont: 1993
  • K. Rool: 1994
  • Geno: 1996
  • Banjo & Kazooie: 1998
  • Shadow: 2001
  • Isaac: 2001
  • Dark Samus: 2002
  • Chorus Kids: 2008
  • Chrom: 2012
  • Isabelle: 2012
  • Inkling: 2015

So it would be 5 characters from the 80's, 4 from the 90's, 4 from the 00's and 3 from the 10's. Just an interesting trivia.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I can't really say--I don't really see SmashBoards as being that toxic, and it's for the most part, pretty fun and friendly. I definitely took months of lurking scouring different boards, and picked this as the best. We can get into heated arguments, and sometimes it gets a bit too much for me, but I wouldn't consider that toxic and outside of those ****ing horrible images and people sometimes encouraging salt and ****ting on other characters* (all bad, but limited from my experience), it's been for the most part pretty healthy. :upsidedown:

*and, of course, I've had to learn and grown on my part as well
Agreed, and I hear the guys at ResetEra are calling us Trashboards. How mature. They don't know what they're talking about.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm almost positive generic anime boy is gonna be DLC along with generic waifu bait.

Still too popular.

Another generic anime boy with perhaps a waifu alt from Three Houses will likely be a thing too.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
What are some themed DLC packs you guys would like to see or can dream up.

KOEI-Tecmo Pack:
Ninja Gaiden
Suezo
Zhao Yun

Indie Pack:
Sans
Shantae
Shovel Knight

Confirmation

Smash Ace
I find it funny
Yeah, I'm almost positive generic anime boy is gonna be DLC along with generic waifu bait.

Still too popular.

Another generic anime boy with perhaps a waifu alt from Three Houses will likely be a thing too.
Which is fine as long as I get my generic anime boy

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
Stop trying to push for the idea of day 1 dlc, even if free with nintendo online. Sakurai would be 100% opposed to this idea. We aren't getting any dlc until Q2 2019 at the very least

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think this is the quote you're referring to.

I didn't like how she, among other insiders, keeps misrepresenting the arguments/assumptions of those who think it's real (it really does seem like it goes over their heads, the way they ignore it), but she is seemingly suggesting how some banner characters could be assists, but she might be parroting Mystic (who is not certain).

EDIT: Thanks to @Tart , also found this.
Can’t find any specifics in newcomer numbers not in poster with her posts. I have been told that she said that there were 2 or 9 characters missing in the poster.

google chrom

Smash Apprentice
Stop trying to push for the idea of day 1 dlc, even if free with nintendo online. Sakurai would be 100% opposed to this idea. We aren't getting any dlc until Q2 2019 at the very least

That's possible as is any speculation because we don't know anything yet Mr. Insider

Last edited:

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607

Still too popular.

Hey, now you’re in the GameFAQs spirit.

D

Deleted member

Say guys, how would you compare the toxicity here to places like Resetera?
Not even close my guy. This board has it's moments, but it nowhere near as bad as ResetEra. Let me know when the mods start actively hunting us down because of who we vote for, and then we'll talk lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Direct announced, no new leaks, I'm late to the discussion so I have nothing to add...

Welp, I guess with what appears to be the final Smash direct in 2 DAYS, there isn't much of a reason to keep going through dozens of posts today or tomorrow. I might as well just wait and get the "It's real!" or "It's fake!" directly from Sakurai himself. You know even if it's fake it seems the "only Ken and Incineroar is left" theory has been thrown out the window, so it seems this direct could still be packed with characters. Speculating has been pretty fun (except for maybe yesterday when everyone lost their s***), so I guess I'll be back to talk about how I feel after the Direct. See you guys in 2 days.

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
Say, uh, is the Grinch leak still alive?
It certainly isn't dead, and the fact that the direct is announced to be 40 min long, when the 27 min long direct we had before revealed 5 characters certainly shows that it isn't that unlikely to have that number of fighters left to show regardless of the leak's veracity. Don't get the idea of a number like that though actually being shown though, could still get 4 characters or so

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's the same. Just with a different name and level of freedom. :4pacman:
This is where I’m at. It’s a bit worse there I guess but it really isn’t all that much different from here, at least the threads I’m on
It's really mostly just one thread. Rest of the place is either chill or depressed. Embarrass

Can we at least agree it's still better than FaQs and 4Chan?

osby

Smash Obsessed

Still too popular.

I want a generic husbando bait, too.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Can’t find any specifics in newcomer numbers not in poster with her posts. I have been told that she said that there were 2 or 9 characters missing in the poster.
Yeah, I have no idea what that would be referring to as I had never read her (or any insider) being that specific.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Lol yeah. I do not have a nice opinion on quite a few possible reps people like. Nothing against the fans, though; I just likely won't play the characters much
I doubt anyone is going to play every character much, we're pushing 80 characters.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So, once this direct shows itself and we have the entire roster to in the palm of our hands, naturally we're going to start talking about DLC and rallying behind characters that didn't get in. It's the natural order of things.

My current predicament is...

Do I support my favorite Nintendo character unfairly stifled to a mere assist trophy?

Do I support my favorite third party character, who might have a legitimate shot of one day being in?

Or do I go the true fan route by supporting my favorite character, who has no hope of getting in at all?

FreeFox

Smash Lord
While I agree with the sentiment and will personally follow this, you know this isn't how it's going to go. Maybe we'll be able to sort of stick to it here, but people on the wider internet won't, and that'll incite the same reactions in this thread. Either way the mods have their work more than cut out for them.

Also, at this point I lack compassion because people have set themselves up for disappointment by believing this "leak," similar to when people denied Box theory. Getting your hopes up too high is a dangerous thing, and if you end up getting burned because of that's on you. Learn from it and move on.
Yeah, I agree. This will be a pretty powerful moment for the smash fandom but maybe an important lesson will be learnt at the end. Or at least (If team Fake wins), we will finally have memes for future uses against leaks instead of just photoshopped Little Mac. The important thing to consider when watching the leak is remembering everything we are getting and not on what we arent getting or who won the leak war.

If I had to guess in advance though, I am sure there will be some jabs to be taken against the losing team but lets hope they stay on friendly terms. I will guess in advance that either the All star rest area video, incineroar or Verge´s rant against the fanbase are going to be used at some point.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It goes SmashBoards>ResetEra>GameFAQs.

I honestly never saw anyone be completely out of line here. Not saying it didn't happen, but I didn't see it. Some people got worked up, but no one got nasty. And in the event that someone does, we have a good moderation team to handle it.

ResetEra's moderation has always been corrupt, allowing toxicity and misbehavior so long as they agree with it, and banning people for doing nothing wrong simply because they disagree with what's being said. NeoGAF was the same exact way, but less people noticed it.

But GameFAQs has almost no moderation, so people get to be as vicious to each other as they want. Not to mention it's a more broadly popular site, so it attracts a broader pool of individuals, which usually means you catch some nasty people in that net.

SmashBoards is more of a civil democracy, ResetEra is like a fascist police state, and GameFAQs is an anarchist cesspit.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
She has never specificed how many are missing, she's just said multiple characters are. Obviously that's 2 at minimum, but we don't have any indication of how many it could be beyond that.

Artorias

Smash Journeyman
That's possible as is any speculation because we don't know anything yet Mr. Insider
Don't try to pin me like that, i'm just going by the fact that nintendo and specially Sakurai hasn't shown any history of doing things like that to try to squeeze money out of their consumer base. They want to sell you a complete game and build on top of it with dlc later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom