• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Leak bait. Either that or we could consider the possibility that Incineroar is a flavorless character with nothing interesting about him and Sakurai is not held at gunpoint to shove uninteresting Pokemon down our throat just because these games sell. Perhaps we could figure that these insiders were only stating he was in because they thought it was obvious and now, scared of the implications of losing all credibility, are all stating ''But-but this uninspired Pokemon was in we swear!''
Okay that's it.
I'm putting the dumb "incineroar is leak bait" theory to rest once and for all. It's stupid and straw grasping...

1. Pokemon is the hugest media franchise in the world, it would be dumb to not add another character
2. Pokemon became big again thanks to Pokemon go...
3. Pokemon is the only franchise to have a Newcomer added to every Smash game. I don't see this one being any Different.
4. Incineroar is only partially owned by Nintendo, and I doubt GAMEFREAK Want's their creation being used as a Trojan Horse...

As for the Uninteresting part...
That's just your opinion
In my opinion Incineroar is already pretty Interesting. He's based on a Heel Wrestler... Heels like to cheat, that alone gives a lot of moveest potential, especially if ladders, chairs, and tables are involved...

Also, Ironically enough, Heels feed on hate, so technically when all of you guys are complaining about Incineroar, you're only making our boi stronger...

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
This sounds crazy, but I've been having this weird feeling that some of the assist trophies will be playable in limited fashion, like how you could use the debug menu in Melee to play as the Fighting Wireframes and they had very basic movesets. Maybe a mode or a special one-off or something. I don't know, I'm probably totally wrong, but it had me thinking.
Alucard looks so detailed and playable, maybe that confuse some people or there could be more like him

Last edited:

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Leak bait. Either that or we could consider the possibility that Incineroar is a flavorless character with nothing interesting about him and Sakurai is not held at gunpoint to shove uninteresting Pokemon down our throat just because these games sell. Perhaps we could figure that these insiders were only stating he was in because they thought it was obvious and now, scared of the implications of losing all credibility, are all stating ''But-but this uninspired Pokemon was in we swear!''
“Uninspired Pokemon”

Jesus I know you guys want it to be real but can we do it without insulting Incineroar? He actually has fans you know.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I really think this banner was made by someone on the dev team thinking about it. They wanted to leak the roster and so they got clever about doing it.

It makes too much sense imo

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
Okay, lets cut the big cat some slack. Let's be honest here. Who would win here:

Incineroar?

or

Some of the biggest fan favorites that people have been requesting for a while?

beans

Smash Lord
Well, easily. The banner is made for an event before Incineroar's reveal (either in the base of DLC). Simple.

It's why I can't imagine why insiders keep sticking behind Incineroar, or any missing character, as their reason for distrusting the banner. If they can say one of the banner characters are an assist, that's a 1000x better reason. If they can't, I understand, but I can only speculate based off of what information they're allowed to reveal.
But that implication brings the question: what event would have all of these characters, presumably revealed before, in promotional material.
The best thing we have mow is the Nintendo Live in this Friday and the Tokyo stuff going around

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not the only one thinking this guys, look all around you. People do NOT like Incineroar, it was the general concensus before the Grinch leak. Why do you think everyone was disappointed and do you think it would've been as bad with Decidueye or Sceptile?
"People would whine less" shouldn't be a reason to reject a character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah but those are not nearly as complicated as this leak or the history behind it. I think we all know that by now.
Still, I'm STILL shocked at how bad the 3DS CSS looks as Sakurai's wife makes the menus and everything, which all have style unlike the 3DS version. Off topic perhaps but goddamn that sucked
I'm not the only one thinking this guys, look all around you. People do NOT like Incineroar, it was the general concensus before the Grinch leak. Why do you think everyone was disappointed and do you think it would've been as bad with Decidueye or Sceptile?
That has nothing to do with my point as my point was it DOES have characterization and personality and I even said it's ok to dislike Incineroar. It IS a popular Pokemon judging by official popularity polls, being the most popular fully evolved starter of Alola iirc, but you can't please everyone and some people are louder than others

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not saying Incineroar is popular with Smash fans (especially now thanks to the Grinch leak), but you're acting like he's complete anti-hype for everyone.

Think about the people who aren't into Smash speculation; the people who have literally no idea who's considered "most likely". For them, it probably doesn't matter nearly as much which Pokemon gets into Smash. They're just excited to get a new Pokemon period.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I know I take that meme too seriously, but there was almost thirty characters worse than Greninja in Smash For.
There's no denying he was far better in the base game though. His hydro pump was crazy back then, it sent you flying back so far.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Is the old thread back or did you guys have a six thousand page discussion while I was asleep?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Incineroar owns, Decidueye looks like he listens to Linkin Park unironically.

(You'll do well not to generalize here - all three Pokemon have their fans and generally speaking every Pokemon fan has been trying to support each other and respect each others' opinions. I was happy as hell about Incineroar and so were plenty of others.)

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
Okay that's it.
I'm putting the dumb "incineroar is leak bait" theory to rest once and for all. It's stupid and straw grasping...

1. Pokemon is the hugest media franchise in the world, it would be dumb to not add another character
2. Pokemon became big again thanks to Pokemon go...
3. Pokemon is the only franchise to have a Newcomer added to every Smash game. I don't see this one being any Different.
4. Incineroar is only partially owned by Nintendo, and I doubt GAMEFREAK Want's their creation being used as a Trojan Horse...

As for the Uninteresting part...
That's just your opinion
In my opinion Incineroar is already pretty Interesting. He's based on a Heel Wrestler... Heels like to cheat, that alone gives a lot of moveest potential, especially if ladders, chairs, and tables are involved...

Also, Ironically enough, Heels feed on hate, so technically when all of you guys are complaining about Incineroar, you're only making our boi stronger...
I absolutely understand where you're coming from but I think Smash Ultimate is different. It's a game that's built on hype alone. I think every pick is based on the ballot. This is a fan-service game this time around, which explains the absolute lack of ''Sakurai-picks'' so far.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm not sure I'm appreciative of a second, general, Smash Direct happening. What could they show in it that wasn't already shown two months ago?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Guys yoshi and sonic have been merged into one character!
:p

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Plot Twist: The Assist Trophy is Skull Kid who has actually been under Mach Rider’s bike all along :troll:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
They couldn’t have chose a better aa character to represent this idea
That case was bonkers and one of my favorites
Spirit of Justice wasn't a good game, but my god, that case is one of the best in the entire series. I love it so much.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay, lets cut the big cat some slack. Let's be honest here. Who would win here:

Incineroar?

or

Incineroar because it's ****ing perfect for the character, "BOO WHY DID THEY CHOOSE THIS AND NOT MY FAVOURITE?" with Incineroar's mere existence taunting them. Not a wrestling fan but that is just peak heel

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
I absolutely understand where you're coming from but I think Smash Ultimate is different. It's a game that's built on hype alone. I think every pick is based on the ballot. This is a fan-service game this time around, which explains the absolute lack of ''Sakurai-picks'' so far.
:ultrichter:

yeah real popular ballot winner here

Also to an extent, :ultisabelle: She has her fans, but she appeals to the general fan base more than the hardcore smash one.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That explains why we got Richter.

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
Incineroar owns, Decidueye looks like he listens to Linkin Park unironically.

(You'll do well not to generalize here - all three Pokemon have their fans and generally speaking every Pokemon fan has been trying to support each other and respect each others' opinions. I was happy as hell about Incineroar and so were plenty of others.)
The Linkin Park comment killed me, you win

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I doubt every character is being picked based on the ballot...
If we were going by the Grinch leak, Mach Rider and Chorus Kids disprove this..
I barley saw any support for them in the ballot
These 2 are very much Sakurai Picks
So already, your theory is kinda dead...

beans

Smash Lord
Plot Twist: The Assist Trophy is Skull Kid who has actually been under Mach Rider’s bike all along :troll:
Insiders: Why is everyone believing in this, Skull Kid is there and he is an assist so of course this a banner is fake

Heracr055

Smash Ace

Incineroar?

or

Lol it's not that simple because a lot of those "fan favorites that people have been requesting" are either old or 3rd party. On the other hand you have a POKEMON REP from the most recent release. So 9 times out of 10 I'd expect Incineroar to win out

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
A previously unknown character being known as an assist trophy, without access to a full copy of the game seems very much like leak bait.

radBoss

Smash Cadet
People don't like Incineroar because they like boring, uninspred edgelord Decidueye instead. ;)

What people fail to realize is that Primarina exsists and is clearly superior to both.

Last edited:

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
You guys are all right. Sorry for my little Incineroar rant, I realize now that perhaps it wasn't objective. I hope you guys will forgive me! I have to go to work but keep speculating Smashboards, we'll talk this evening!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Spirit of Justice wasn't a good game, but my god, that case is one of the best in the entire series. I love it so much.
The whole setup and the way it ties to previous storylines is great.

It’s one of the many reasons why aa deserves smash representation for its great stories and just overall how fun and big the series is everywhere

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
The lack of any newcomer for mainline Mario and Zelda, two of Nintendos biggest franchises, does not do Incineroar any favors. Isabelle is the only character that's super relevant other than Chrom, and both have less changes to them than other characters.

I don't really count echoes as newcomers. It's completely possible that sakurai looked at Pokemon this round and said... yeah, 9 is enough.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
**** you it wasn't it's in the top 3 don't @ me. It's prosecutor can eat my ass though
:ultrichter:

yeah real popular ballot winner here

Also to an extent, :ultisabelle: She has her fans, but she appeals to the general fan base more than the hardcore smash one.
Isabelle also has the benefit of being the mascot of Nintendo's third best selling franchise and most popular property among women. It's why I decide to instantly ignore anyone when saying nobody asked for her

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The plot twist is that Mach riders bike is the assist trophy, but Mach rider is playable

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I think people fail to see how marketable Incineroar actually is.

He'd sell more DLC than probably the leaked 7 combined, especially because of Pokemons main target audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom