• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

-Update 10/30/18
-Removed Isaac
-Removed Geno
-Removed Mach Rider
-Removed Chorus Kids
-Removed Ken
-Removed Shadow
-Removed Banjo & Kazooie
-Added Herobrine
-Updated localization files
Wonder how many people here will actually get that.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Finally caught up to the new thread and now we may have a Direct this Thursday? Wonderful news!

No matter if its a General or Smash Direct, we will be getting a reveal (hopefully).

As it stands if ANY of the characters on the Grinch leak are shown we need to pay attention to when they get added to the mural. If it closely resembles it in anyway...Game Over. And if they don't match up...Game Over.

And of course, if Incineroar gets revealed, great for their fans! But we must NOT be petty whatever side is deemed True. (I know, A LOT to ask for people on the internet, but eh worth a shot)

Me personally, I would have said I was on Team Real, but clearly I am truly on Team Smash.

So...LETS GET HYPED FOR THIS!!!

Rayman001

Smash Cadet
*Earlier today*

Stealth_, "Direct's coming this week boiz!"

Everyone, "HOLY **** WE LOVE YOU!"

*Now*

Stealth_, "Ehhh, I don't think Grinch leak is real...."

Everyone, "**** INSIDERS, **** ALL OF THEM!"

Calling it right ****ing now.
To be fair, believing Smash infos, which could be leak bait, from an insider is completely different from believing a Direct date they posted, since there is no reason to make a date a leak bait.
So I would say believing an insider when they say a date but not when they mention characters can make sense.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Lol I mean it's possible. However Mystic did literally say "nope" when I asked if they or any of their sources had seen the real banner.
Let me get back to this (later in this post).
Here's the thing...

I sincerely doubt there's a banner v.1.0. They likely didn't get their marketing art people on the banner idea until the roster was finalized-- I don't mean finalized as in the roster plan, I mean the point in development when you know exactly how many characters you're going to ship at launch and who they are. Because actually drawing the banner would not take that much time once the idea was decided upon, and they would need to run the concept through multiple people in the bureaucratic ladder-- possibly even Sakurai-- before it was okayed as the promotional idea.

I very much doubt there was ever an early banner that was seen by anybody but the people who made it. Then, as the release strategy was finalized, they worked backwards from their banner's final form, with each character as a separate layer over top of the blank Battlefield backdrop, to make other banners to coincide with each announcement.

I just can't see a scenario where someone low enough on the food chain to want to leak this info would see a final banner that needed updated.
I'm aware of how the banner was constructed, sometimes you have to say something potentially incorrect to work your way to the truth.

Anyway, second idea.

What about preliminary sketches for the banner?

They would have to be made, right? As an artist myself you don't just draw images of that quality right onto the canvas, you have to do rough sketches.

What if Sakurai made the roster plan, and then either he (Sakurai can draw) or someone else drew some concepts and preliminary sketches while they waited for confirmation that they could use certain characters (I'm 99.9˙% certain this is not illegal).

Obviously, some of the characters in this roster plan would be denied for whatever reason, and be scrapped, but sketches of how (and maybe where) they would be posed on the banner would still exist in storage (Nintendo does not just destroy concept art, all those early sketches of Capsule Monsters and early Pocket Monsters that Game Freak showed earlier proves this; Yes, I'm aware Game Freak and Nintendo aren't the same thing, Miyamoto still has the concept art for Super Mario Bros. on Graph Paper).

This would allow for sources and insiders to have "seen" something, but (getting back to Akiak's post) not have seen the completed mural. If they had seen gameplay footage, I'd have thought that footage would have leaked by now, right?

Last edited:

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Bro the fact that all these insiders are denying the leak makes it more hype for some reason, im just so excited, is it real or fake?? BRO WE GOTTA FIND OUT

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
TBH let's put this into perspective

Isaac is one of the most requested characters ever. That's not really a question, no amount of "vocal minorities" can cover that
Golden Sun has been repped by NOTHING, no stage no anything (except music IIRC) except Isaac's assist trophy

You're saying Sakurai would put in an obscure spell item from an entirely unrepresented game that just happens to have one of the, arguably, top 5 most wanted newcomers ever, in it?

I'm not trying to be condescending at all staind my bro but I don't think this is it.

It doesn't confirm him. But it doesn't feel right to say it doesn't help his case.
I genuinely don't think it does, though. I'd like for him to be in, certainly. I'm not anti-Isaac. I'm just anti-"this happened and therefore this other loosely related thing MUST happen", which is a common theme of Smash speculation cycles.

There are a number of reasons for a Golden Sun item to be in the game without a Golden Sun character. There's the possibility that Golden Sun items were produced in preparation for Isaac, who then got cut due to time constraints but the items were already made. There's the possibility that the item isn't Golden Sun and simply holds a visual similarity. It's possible that Isaac does have a vocal minority and his ballot proved it, since we never saw the ballot. Until Isaac is confirmed in a more concrete way, all of these are equal possibilities, and I worry when people get too hyped up for fear of getting let down. So I'm a party pooper.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Let me get back to this (later in this post).

I'm aware of how the banner was constructed, sometimes you have to say something potentially incorrect to work your way to the truth.

Anyway, second idea.

What about preliminary sketches for the banner?

They would have to be made, right? As an artist myself you don't just draw images of that quality right onto the canvas, you have to do rough sketches.

What if Sakurai made the roster plan, and then either he (Sakurai can draw) or someone else drew some concepts and preliminary sketches while they waited for confirmation that they could use certain characters.

Obviously, some of the characters in this roster plan would be denied for whatever reason, and be scrapped, but sketches of how (and maybe where) they would be posed on the banner would still exist in storage (Nintendo does not just destroy concept art, all those early sketches of Capsule Monsters and early Pocket Monsters that Game Freak showed earlier proves this; Yes, I'm aware Game Freak and Nintendo aren't the same thing, Miyamoto still has the concept art for Super Mario Bros. on Graph Paper).

This would allow for sources and insiders to have "seen" something, but (getting back to Akiak's post) not have seen the completed mural. If they had seen gameplay footage, I'd have thought that footage would have leaked by now, right?
If that were the case the banner that was photographed wouldn't have been a banner/light circle thing packaged up and ready to be distributed.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Not t be rude, but who is Stealth? What make's their word important?
A literal no one who desperately tried to get people to believe they were a leaker back during Smash 4 pre release and DLC. Their biggest argument for their legitimacy being their "huge" 4k followers on twitter.
Im not kidding. Their word is complete dung and meaningless

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
-Update 10/30/18
-Removed Isaac
-Removed Geno
-Removed Mach Rider
-Removed Chorus Kids
-Removed Ken
-Removed Shadow
-Removed Banjo & Kazooie
-Added Herobrine
I should've known. Way to go, Mr. Grinch, you've ruined Christmas once again

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's best to stay skeptical of anything until it's actually supported by something other then what someone claims. Both the insiders and this leaker are no exception.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Everyone at Nintendo HQ right now, thinking about the journalists and social media personalities that they usually just use as a hype machine:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I genuinely don't think it does, though. I'd like for him to be in, certainly. I'm not anti-Isaac. I'm just anti-"this happened and therefore this other loosely related thing MUST happen", which is a common theme of Smash speculation cycles.

There are a number of reasons for a Golden Sun item to be in the game without a Golden Sun character. There's the possibility that Golden Sun items were produced in preparation for Isaac, who then got cut due to time constraints but the items were already made. There's the possibility that the item isn't Golden Sun and simply holds a visual similarity. It's possible that Isaac does have a vocal minority and his ballot proved it, since we never saw the ballot. Until Isaac is confirmed in a more concrete way, all of these are equal possibilities, and I worry when people get too hyped up for fear of getting let down. So I'm a party pooper.
And I personally think that's just silly; but I know you have good reasons to believe this, so I'm not gonna try to force you to believe what I do. We'll just have to see.

Trying to calm us is admirable though for real

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
What happen? How can it be totally made up?

yeah, nah, on top of the fact that this guy is a literal who, that potential growth psynergy item is pretty convincing evidence in Isaac's favor. I'm willing to bet he'll be in regardless of the leak's validity.
now, if he smuggles Geno in, then I'm outta here.

KMDP

Smash Legend
If that were the case the banner that was photographed wouldn't have been a banner/light circle thing packaged up and ready to be distributed.
I'm not talking about the banner in the Grinch Leak, I'm talking about what the insiders saw that makes them not believe the Grinch Leak.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
A literal no one who desperately tried to get people to believe they were a leaker back during Smash 4 pre release and DLC. Their biggest argument for their legitimacy being their "huge" 4k followers on twitter.
Im not kidding. Their word is complete dung and meaningless
lol really? That's it? 4k followers is nothing.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Hey now. That's not fair.

He can't marry Cordelia. For some reason.
It's because of Cordelia's trait of never being able to be with Chrom and a reference to Catria's unrequited love for Marth
It's because Cordelia is best left for Robin

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Directs don't happen on weekends though
It has at least once before.

Regardless I was referring to stuff like... football games. And hiking trips. And comic cons. Just weekends in general are the hypest part of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom