• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm going to throw something at this thread. Yesterday I posted a comment for everybody to cool it in terms of expecting this leak to be real, and to temper expectations. If nothing else, being this close to release has potential to have Earth shattering implications, no matter if it is fake or real. The comment I posted garnered something like 60, almost 70 likes.

Now, while I don't necessarily place value on likes... at the very least, I thought that maybe, just maybe, people would be listening to what I said. While I don't think all 60+ people are being boneheaded about all this leak business, I can't help but feel that QUITE a few people are getting ahead of themselves.

I'm going to reiterate something everybody needs to hear. Nothing confirms this leak until an official announcement. Nothing. Not even the gameplay portion of the ESRB leak clinched that. The fact that Shulk's portrait art for Wii U/3DS matched the leak did that.

I am absolutely willing to say that this leak is exceptionally good. There are so many part of it that make it hard to believe that it could potentially be faked. By no means do I think it's ridiculous to believe that it could be real. I do however think people are going a little over the top with the tribalism that is slowly taking over this fanbase.

I find it ridiculous that it boils down to effectively "Either you're with us or against us" mentality. In what world would "insiders" not want more characters? In what world would "insiders" create a ridiculous conspiracy where they would lead all of the Smash fanbase on some ruse that they know things when they really don't? Is it really all that preposterous to think that yeah, maybe some active members of the Smash communities have forged connections over the years?

Onto my next point, which I think is rather interesting to this whole thing. I want you to take this with a grain of salt, and consider something that maybe more people might pay attention to. Between the last time I speculated on this site and this time, I feel as if I've garnered a sort of positive reputation on this website in maybe in the community.

I was once added to a "Super Smashboards" roster by a fellow speculator. Some people call me "teach" or suggest that they look forward to my comments.

I was in a group of people who did happen to have insider information for Smash Wii U. I never shared my sources with anybody, but I could have.

So, what if it turned out that I am one of these fated "insiders"? What if I knew things the majority of fans don't? What if, for example, I were to have information that seems to either go against what the majority of people think they know, and very much trust the people who told me and trusted me to not be exceptionally public about it?

But what if, also, I value my relationships with these particular people, and I wouldn't want to break my trust with them simply to tell random schmucks what may or may not specifically happen within 40 days of release?

"NAY", says Smash fans who have no idea why they should trust such an insider, "They clearly are just trying to flaunt the fact that they're popular and know people, but they don't want to admit they're wrong!"

I mean, you'd trust me wouldn't you? I'm not going to comment on if I actually do know anything, but I would absolutely wager that people are being exceptionally rude about "insiders" because they either have unreasonable expectations of them, are jealous of the fact that they have information, or simply just care about being right rather than what is in the damn leak itself.

As I said yesterday, nobody gives a damn if they're right about this stupid leak. People in the character speculation community seem to, consistently, only care about who is on the roster and nothing else. If the leak turns out fake but we got all of the characters anyway, nobody would care because they would all get what they really wanted, which is the characters.

Moral of the story: We need to cool it with the "Us vs them" "regulars vs. insiders" bull**** tribalism that is driving everyone mad. It's not getting us anywhere, and if there's even a smidge of a chance of being wrong and the pro-Grinch leak people are wrong, that is the reaction that will be paired with this leak forever.

Then again, this IS a video game. Like to be honest, I don't even understand why everybody went from "100 to 0 to 100" when it came to last night with Mystic. The guy claimed to know that a sizeable chunk of the leak were in regardless of if the mural leak itself was true.

REGARDLESS OF THAT INFORMATION, in other words, the stuff that pretty much everyone cared about, people remained on the offensive defending their stance because...why? Basically I just don't understand why it's such a fierce debate.

Whatever. Hopefully we do get a Direct this week, based on what the insiders (who are ironically INSTANTLY BACKED by #TeamReal supporters, probably because it's simply something they want to hear, just like how the leak is something they want to see) say.

I'm sure many of us would like this to be over. Please Sakurai, end this community's suffering. PLEASE.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
A literal no one who desperately tried to get people to believe they were a leaker back during Smash 4 pre release and DLC. Their biggest argument for their legitimacy being their "huge" 4k followers on twitter.
Im not kidding. Their word is complete dung and meaningless
This is true, if I remember correctly Stealth was a user on Game FAQ's who also went by the name RPG grinder that had a bad habit of threads that would go forever so I wouldn't trust his judgement though I still feel the need to remain sceptical until official announcements from the next direct.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318

Ok so I think I might have found where that image came from. Its not on here but it might be cut.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
seriously, i love how stealth was mentioned earlier in the thread as one of the people hinting at a direct and no one batted an eye. but then he says something that people don't like (isaac isn't in) and now he's this massive fraud that no one should believe. make up your mind people.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I'm going to throw something at this thread. Yesterday I posted a comment for everybody to cool it in terms of expecting this leak to be real, and to temper expectations. If nothing else, being this close to release has potential to have Earth shattering implications, no matter if it is fake or real. The comment I posted garnered something like 60, almost 70 likes.

Now, while I don't necessarily place value on likes. At the very least, I thought that maybe, just maybe, people would be listening to what I said. While I don't think all 60+ people are being boneheaded about all this leak business, I can't help but feel that QUITE a few people are getting ahead of themselves.

I'm going to reiterate something everybody needs to hear. Nothing confirms this leak until an official announcement. Nothing. Not even the gameplay portion of the ESRB leak clinched that. The fact that Shulk's portrait art for Wii U/3DS did that.

I am absolutely willing to say that this leak is exceptionally good. There are so many part of it that make it hard to believe that it could potentially be faked. By no means do I think it's ridiculous to believe that it could be real. I do however think people are going a little over the top with the tribalism that is slowly taking over this fanbase.

I find it ridiculous that it boils down to effectively "Either you're with us or against us" mentality. In what world would "insiders" not want more characters? In what world would "insiders" create a ridiculous conspiracy where they would lead all of the Smash fanbase on some ruse that they know things when they really don't? Is it really all that preposterous to think that yeah, maybe some active members of the Smash communities have forged connections over the years?

Onto my next point, which I think is rather interesting to this whole thing. I want you to take this with a grain of salt, and consider something that maybe more people might pay attention to. Between the last time I speculated on this site and this time, I feel as if I've garnered a sort of positive reputation on this website in maybe in the community.

I was once added to a "Super Smashboards" roster by a fellow speculator. Some people call me "teach" or suggest that they look forward to my comments.

I was in a group of people who did happen to have insider information for Smash Wii U. I never shared my sources with anybody, but I could have.

So, what if it turned out that I am one of these fated "insiders"? What if I knew things the majority of fans don't? What if, for example, I were to have information that seems to either go against what the majority of people think they know, and very much trust the people who told me and trusted me to not be exceptionally public about it?

But what if, also, I value my relationships with these particular people, and I wouldn't want to break my trust with them simply to tell random schmucks what may or may not specifically happen within 40 days of release?

"NAY", says Smash fans who have no idea why they should trust such an insider, "They clearly are just trying to flaunt the fact that they're popular and know people, but they don't want to admit they're wrong!"

I mean, you'd trust me wouldn't you? I'm not going to comment on if I actually do know anything, but I would absolutely wager that people are being exceptionally rude about "insiders" because they either have unreasonable expectations of them, are jealous of the fact that they have information, or simply just care about being right rather than what is in the damn leak itself.

As I said yesterday, nobody gives a damn if they're right about this stupid leak. People in the character speculation community seem to, consistently, only care about who is on the roster and nothing else. If the leak turns out fake but we got all of the characters anyway, nobody would care because they would all get what they really wanted, which is the characters.

Moral of the story: We need to cool it with the "Us vs them" "regulars vs. insiders" bull**** tribalism that is driving everyone mad. It's not getting us anywhere, and if there's even a smidge of a chance of being wrong and the pro-Grinch leak people are wrong, that is the reaction that will be paired with this leak forever.

Then again, this IS a video game. Like to be honest, I don't even understand why everybody went from "100 to 0 to 100" when it came to last night with Mystic. The guy claimed to know that a sizeable chunk of the leak were in regardless of if the mural leak itself was true.

REGARDLESS OF THAT INFORMATION, in other words, the stuff that pretty much everyone cared about, people remained on the offensive defending their stance because...why? Basically I just don't understand why it's such a fierce debate.

Whatever. Hopefully we do get a Direct this week, based on what the insiders (who are ironically INSTANTLY BACKED by #TeamReal supporters, probably because it's simply something they want to hear, just like how the leak is something they want to see) say.

I'm sure many of us would like this to be over. Please Sakurai, end this community's suffering. PLEASE.
The people who are insiders aren't just self proclaimed insiders. Some of the people who claim to be insiders are either industry insiders with a proven record, or members of the Smash community
Said it before, will say it again: The Smash community is one of the worst groups of people who have ever lived.
That's an exaggeration, but certainly one of the worst Internet communities.

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I really want to believe the Grinch leak and the evidence looks pretty solid to me, but it really bugs me that all the known insiders are saying is fake. Something is happenning and Im really hoping we get a direct soon

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm going to reiterate something everybody needs to hear. Nothing confirms this leak until an official announcement. Nothing. Not even the gameplay portion of the ESRB leak clinched that. The fact that Shulk's portrait art for Wii U/3DS did that.
This was a sad day. I can't believe that Nintendo would be so lazy that they'd photoshop Mac to make a Shulk render instead of just making a Shulk render.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I really want to believe the Grinch leak and the evidence looks pretty solid to me, but it really bugs me that all the known insiders are saying is fakes. Something is happenning and Im really hoping we get a direct soon
Well, luckily for you, we're rumored to get one on Thursday...

Iridium

Smash Hero

Ok so I think I might have found where that image came from. Its not on here but it might be cut.
Uh, check your likes right now. I'm...fascinated.

I know it's a troll or whatever, but it's still funny.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

This screenshot in particular didn't come from the ad.
The names are the same but I'm pretty sure that was done on purpose :p

EDIT: Oh, I didn't even finish reading your thing.

Who knows.

Even if it was cut then how would they have gotten it?

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
And I personally think that's just silly; but I know you have good reasons to believe this, so I'm not gonna try to force you to believe what I do. We'll just have to see.

Trying to calm us is admirable though for real
I'm just a forumgoer who's seen this board, the Capcom-Unity and BSN all freak out over some sort of leaked information, only to totally deflate when the real information is announced, and suddenly what should be exciting isn't anymore by comparison. So I try to only buy in to a leak when I am 100% convinced by it and can't find a single stretch in logic.

The Grinch leak, if true, would be amazing. Until it is true, I'm gonna play devil's advocate so less people get their little SNES-era hearts broken. And if I'm wrong, I will so happily eat crow for all of you to see and we'll go enjoy a badass game together.

D

Deleted member

So, we’ve had a literal nobody who hasn’t gotten anything right try to claim the banner is fake, and the only reason we should believe him is because he has 4K followers on Twitter.

I’m laughing.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm legit wanting the DIrect to start with Incineroar now...
Talk about a heel entrance...
It would be amazing...
Heels feed on hate...
All of your hate for Incineroar is only adding more fuel to the fire (literally)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm just a forumgoer who's seen this board, the Capcom-Unity and BSN all freak out over some sort of leaked information, only to totally deflate when the real information is announced, and suddenly what should be exciting isn't anymore by comparison. So I try to only buy in to a leak when I am 100% convinced by it and can't find a single stretch in logic.

The Grinch leak, if true, would be amazing. Until it is true, I'm gonna play devil's advocate so less people get their little SNES-era hearts broken. And if I'm wrong, I will so happily eat crow for all of you to see and we'll go enjoy a badass game together.
Wait, what? Stain I ain't talking about the Grinch leak I'm just discussing the Isaac item
I'm teakfake

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
As someone who is ignorant on the topic of Smash insiders, who is generally considered the most trustworthy?

Potato_

Smash Lord
We all just gonna ignore the fact this is a picture in a(technically) new stage with two characters, one of which is a newcomer, not seen in demos or extensive footage?
Yeah, and it's certainly curious, but I just hope this dude doesn't pull a Ken leaker and just show this and nothing else. Or it's the other theory and this guy just has unused footage from the recent Smash commercial for the Tailgate.

I'm interested in video if he has it though. Want to see how Isabelle plays.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Odd that this would "leak" since there's nothing actually new in it.
Looks like something from that video that got changed for whatever reason, is it a TV ad?

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Anyway, either somebody has played a copy of the game and decided to use those player names as a reference for some reason or its unused footage from the commercial that the anon somehow has. Either way the dam is about to burst I feel. Not from that thread in particular, but I wont be surprised if we see more leaks before the 1st.

mjmannella

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
6515-6020-5729
As someone who is ignorant on the topic of Smash insiders, who is generally considered the most trustworthy?
I think most people here would say Papagenos, despite the fact that he also has completely faceless sources that people criticize other insiders having (ex. Vergeben).

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
If banjo and Kazooie enter in smash, they better also add conker music
Conker's Bad Fur Day... Was my childhood... That multiplayer... Man... If it wasnt mario kart, smash, 007, pokemon stadium mini games.... My friends would come over every day after school... And play conkers... Multiplayer was amazing until we discovered how broken the throwing knives were... Took away all the fun and skill. When we needed patches pre online.

Oh and i loved how banjos head was mounted in the lobby above the fire and kazooie was made into an umbrella.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's because of Cordelia's trait of never being able to be with Chrom and a reference to Catria's unrequited love for Marth
It's because Cordelia is best left for Robin
Oh, I'm totally aware of why. And it's a big reason for why Cordelia is my favorite Awakening side character. Unlike Subaki, this was a "perfect character's flaw" done right.

I just hate that there is no situation in which Lucina and Severa are related. They'd be perfect sisters, and Chrom trying to parent Severa of all kids sounds incredibly entertaining. Can you imagine Severa being a literal princess on top of her already royal-pain personality?

It's a damn shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom