• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Skipping over hundreds, maybe even thousands of pages, but damn, what a show this "leaker" is putting on.

I personally think that the number of characters in the leak is probably the biggest thing that hurts it IMO. The way Sakurai was talking, I think suspecting even half of the number that the leak suggests might even be pushing it; personally not expecting anymore than 1-2 newcomers and maybe an Echo.

What's amazing is that this leaker is going to make Smash history regardless. He'll either be remembered as the guy who got everything right or the guy who took advantage of a starving community. The man who took the Smash community by storm and hurt A LOT of people in the process due to absurd expectations (God help us all if Geno and Isaac aren't actually in the game) when we likely only get maybe half the characters suggested here, if that.

Not necessarily on "Team Fake" even though my post likely suggests it, mostly because I have no way to actually prove it, but I'm seriously keeping expectations low, and am certainly not dismissing it simply because "my character" (even though I really want Banjo in and think Geno and Isaac fans deserve their time) isn't on there. It's mostly because this leak is more of the same and depending on how skilled this "leaker" is, likely cooked up this scheme in the matter of minutes.

TL;DR: I'll be happy if it's real, but won't be in the least bit surprised if it's not, and will still be happy with what we have.

Last edited:

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
Tin foil mode activated

The Pokémon rep what if it was a gen 8 rep the whole time?

Incineroar not necessary being bait but faulty information I mean it wasn’t fully confident right?
If we get a Pokémon rep, I am 90% convinced that it'll be a gen 8 Pokémon and will be DLC to promote the upcoming game, just like Corrin was to the west.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I should point this out I just rememeber

While we still got a Pokémon rep in smash 4

We were all certain it would be a gen 5 rep but then it ended up being 6

KingBroly

Smash Lord
So apparently youtubers are contacting square enix to flag papa geno for copy right infringement on the forest maze opening?

Smash community civil war continues.
Nothing surprises me. 'I disagree with you, so I'll destroy your life.' These people need to grow up.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
The three that would "complete" the game for me:

1. Elma
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Travis Touchdown

The ones I just want out of bias or because I think they'd be cool:

4. Professor Layton
5. KOS-MOS
6. 2B
7. Arle Nadja
8. Mona
9. Dr. Eggman
10. Joker

The five I think really should be in to flesh the roster out and "complete" it but aren't necessarily my bias picks:

11. Paper Mario
12. Jibanyan
13. Captain Toad
14. Lloyd Irving
15. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl
This is good li-
mona

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though it's not out of the realm of possibility for Incineroar to be DLC, I don't like this new trend of assuming any character missing from a leak is simply DLC. When the Box Theory was popular, people automatically assumed Incineroar was guaranteed and Verge's SE character was DLC. With this leak, people are now coming to the conclusion that Incineroar is more likely to be DLC.

Just feels like a generic and lazy explanation as to why information doesn't match with a leak we feel strongly about. If we include every character included in the Grinch leak and hinted by Verge and other insiders, we're up to 10 characters. Either someone has wrong information, or at least 3 of these characters are DLC.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Hey, could someone explain Jigglypuff's ****ed up eyes in the leak? Is the blurriness making them look buggier than usual, or did the leaker screw up?

Also, what was the Grinch render used recently in a trailer or something, after being seen in the Snapchat screenshot?

Untouch

Smash Master
Hey, could someone explain Jigglypuff's ****ed up eyes in the leak? Is the blurriness making them look buggier than usual, or did the leaker screw up?

Also, what was the Grinch render used recently in a trailer or something, after being seen in the Snapchat screenshot?
I doubt they redrew the characters, so it's likely just compression here.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
New question:

What new match-ups are you looking forward to with the existing characters and the possible Grinch Gang? (leaked 7) If it’s all true.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I should point this out I just rememeber

While we still got a Pokémon rep in smash 4

We were all certain it would be a gen 5 rep but then it ended up being 6
If I recall correctly, I think most people (at least here) expected just the Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo during the Smash 4 days.
They weren't really expecting a newcomer at all since gen 6 didn't really have a clear face at the time. (Closest thing was Mega Mewtwo Y and Greninja didn't really get promoted until after its inclusion)

Gen 5 was seen as old news as soon as gen 6 was announced.

Last edited:

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
One thing I find quite odd is GX (and I presume other youtubers) are being relatively quiet about this. The way to survive on YouTube is to have the juiciest videos and the loudest thumbnails. Its a hard platform to survive on. This is the juiciest bit of info for one of the biggest releases of the year, and there's hardly anything being said about it. This would be a YouTube gold mine whether it's real or not. They are foregoing big paydays by keeping shut. Maybe the big N told them to can it or no more deals.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Seriously, does anyone know if Papa Geno is still planning that video? I read someone saying he was being attacked by YouTubers trying to shut him down for some reason.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Skipping over hundreds, maybe even thousands of pages, but damn, what a show this "leaker" is putting on.

I personally think that the number of characters in the leak is probably the biggest thing that hurts it IMO. The way Sakurai was talking, I think suspecting even half of the number that the leak suggests might even be pushing it; personally not expecting anymore than 1-2 newcomers and maybe an Echo.

What's amazing is that this leaker is going to make Smash history regardless. He'll either be remembered as the guy who got everything right or the guy who took advantage of a starving community. The man who took the Smash community by storm and hurt A LOT of people in the process due to absurd expectations (God help us all if Geno and Isaac aren't actually in the game) when we likely only get maybe half the characters suggested here, if that.

Not necessarily on "Team Fake" even though my post likely suggests it, mostly because I have no way to actually prove it, but I'm seriously keeping expectations low, and am certainly not dismissing it simply because "my character" (even though I really want Banjo in and think Geno and Isaac fans deserve their time) isn't on there. It's mostly because this leak is more of the same and depending on how skilled this "leaker" is, likely cooked up this scheme in the matter of minutes.
The thing is, if a fake leaker was going for absolute convincing, and with all the massive attention to detail he has, he would have listened to Sakurai and leak trends.

Aka, Ken, Incineroar and 1/2 more characters would have been the more convincing leak to make.

Instead a fake leaker would have went through the unbelievable amount of trouble to:

1. Add 7 characters and go against Sakurai's words willingly, many of which people in their wildest dreams wouldn't expect.

2. Add Ken, but leave out Incineroar, a character frequently and consistently leaked with Ken.

To do both of those things willingly is to actually harm your fake leak, because what we got has been infinitely more scrutinized for not having Incineroar and having 7 unbelievable characters left. I mean, it's exactly how Insiders are attacking it ("No Incineroar, too blurry, too many good characters!")

This is one of the reasons why I think it's real. It totally goes against what most people think, a VERY Sakurai thing to do and we all know it.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If I recall correctly, I think most people (at least here) expected just the Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo during the Smash 4 days.
They weren't really expecting a newcomer at all since gen 6 didn't really have a clear face at the time. (Closest thing was Mega Mewtwo Y and Greninja didn't really get promoted until after its inclusion)

THIS! I remember being in the minority for thinking we'd get a new Pokemon over Mewtwo.

I had my eyes on Kalos Trainer, and I got the most important part.

I'm very happy to have Greninja in Smash

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Mewtwo was the poster boy for Gen 6 at the time. He was one of the only Pokemon to get two Mega Evolution (which was a new major feature that was most heavily emphasised in X and Y) in X and Y, Mewtwo starred in a 2013 Pokemon movie in one of their Mega Evolved forms, and he had a major role in Pokemon Origins. With every Brawl Pokemon getting some love in X & Y, if there was any time to not include a newcomer from an upcoming game, Smash 4 would have made the most sense.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Even though it's not out of the realm of possibility for Incineroar to be DLC, I don't like this new trend of assuming any character missing from a leak is simply DLC. When the Box Theory was popular, people automatically assumed Incineroar was guaranteed and Verge's SE character was DLC. With this leak, people are now coming to the conclusion that Incineroar is more likely to be DLC.

Just feels like a generic and lazy explanation as to why information doesn't match with a leak we feel strongly about. If we include every character included in the Grinch leak and hinted by Verge and other insiders, we're up to 10 characters. Either someone has wrong information, or at least 3 of these characters are DLC.
That's not the only explanation. a) Later reveal b) DLC c) Cut d) Leaker trap. In order of likelihood, to me. When you have a stack of evidence on one side, and a piece of paper saying "My sources say Incineroar's in" multipled a dozen times, the number of times it's said doesn't add as much as people think. I'll believe the former until the latter has more evidence to back it up. :upsidedown:

EDIT: Switched (2) and (3) around.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Joker, Doomguy, Sora and Leon Kennedy are the only needs.

Honestly I hope DLC is almost exclusively third party characters. They're far more interesting than any first parties left, outside of maybe Dixie Kong

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
Ken -> Arcade
Mach Rider -> NES
Geno -> SNES
Banjo ->N64
Shadow -> Dreamcast
Chorus Kids -> GBA

I mean, they could structure a trailer like this, they're all from different systems.
Although Rhythm Tengoku was on GBA, the Chorus Kids didn't appear in that game. They actually appeared in Rhythm Tengoku Gold, which was no DS.
Though as someone else has mentioned, Isaac is from GBA

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
:eek:
Mind blown.
Also, if Shadow were representing Nintendo, he'd be Gamecube!
Shadow debuted on Dreamcast first. SA2B was more or less a director's cut to SA2 and came out a couple years later, so it's definitely Dreamcast for Shadow.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

TL;DR: I'll be happy if it's real, but won't be in the least bit surprised if it's not, and will still be happy with what we have.
Although not evidence for it being fake (I gave up trying to debate it) the emotional power this leak has is a huge reason I personally don't believe.

Just like you said, it came at the perfect time to a starving community (seriously this thread was dyinggggg before this leak) and it reveals pretty much every fan wanted hype character at the time the community mostly either assumed box or Vergeben was it. Like, I just can't look past all of that bias and not find it suspicious.

To be fair when asked Vergeben wasn't sure if the SE rep was dlc or not, where as he's sure Incineroar is in base.

But not that I'm box anyway, all the insiders coming out and implying some from the banner are correct and possibly other characters aside from Incineroar are in killed it for me. Which I'm glad because it was a boring theory :p
One thing I find quite odd is GX (and I presume other youtubers) are being relatively quiet about this. The way to survive on YouTube is to have the juiciest videos and the loudest thumbnails. Its a hard platform to survive on. This is the juiciest bit of info for one of the biggest releases of the year, and there's hardly anything being said about it. This would be a YouTube gold mine whether it's real or not. They are foregoing big paydays by keeping shut. Maybe the big N told them to can it or no more deals.
But they did do a video. It's not the video people wanted, but they did talk about it. There haven't really been new developments so it's not like they have any reason to keep talking about it.

(Also they aren't paid by Nintendo so if you reeallllyyy wanna go down the it's suspicious they aren't making videos route, than it makes more sense to say it's because they know it isn't real. But I think they aren't making more videos because they already said their piece.)

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
The demo PGW is using on stream is the old E3 demo.
BSikT[1].jpg

There's very little footage of the game outside of this though, but based on the one video I found, Ike's character portrait is outdated.
BSits[1].jpg

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Shadow debuted on Dreamcast first. SA2B was more or less a director's cut to SA2 and came out a couple years later, so it's definitely Dreamcast for Shadow.
SA2B was a launch title, or at least like two months after launch. Pretty sure the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions came out the same year

blackghost

Smash Champion
dont actually care if this leak turns out to be true or not, but if this guy is lying or even somewhat inaccurate god help him.

the final characters all seem TOO perfect to me. (at leats perfect to a lot of people) personally i find it rather lackluster unless shadow is a unique.

these dlc lists make me laugh. waluigi??!?? seriously ya'll??? his fate was sealed already you are setting yourself up for disappointment. DLC characters need to sell themselves. niche Nintendo characters are not gonna be DLC. third party and rpomti0onal DLC is what most of these will be. If you want to make lists of potential wants that's one thing, but if you are making lists of dlc PREDICTIONS you need at least 4-5 of ten DLC to be third party characters.

MainJPW

M.T.A
The Dreamcast original was released in June 2001; the GameCube rerelease was released on December 2001. Same year.

:ultgreninja:‘D

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
That's not the only explanation. a) Later reveal b) DLC c) Cut d) Leaker trap. In order of likelihood, to me. When you have a stack of evidence on one side, and a piece of paper saying "My sources say Incineroar's in" multipled a dozen times, the number of times it's said doesn't add as much as people think. I'll believe the former until the latter has more evidence to back it up. :upsidedown:

EDIT: Switched (2) and (3) around.
I'm just going to say that if this is real and Incineroar is nowhere to be found, the fallout for insiders is going to be horrible lol.

I did grow to liking the idea of him, but not before any of these characters. So I do hope that if this is true, they somehow have even more reveals to make or Its just DLC, just for the sake of Pokemon fans.

Wambo

Smash Ace
Inb4 the 'unique character trailer featuring two characters' is Sora and Geno at the game awards.
I'm still betting that this "unique character trailer featuring two characters" is a play on words and the trailer will actually be for Banjo & Kazooie.

Seriously though, can someone please answer my question about Papa Geno

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom