• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
At this point what's even the purpose of calling it 'Event Version (2018/06) if there's basically only going to be a single Event Version leading up to release. It's getting kind of silly. :p

D

Deleted member

Im convinced there could be a nuclear apocalypse and the leak would still ****ing survive.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
The only need for Smash for me is Rhythm Heaven representation. And like, serious representation. A character, a stage, an assist trophy and a bunch of music tracks. PLEASE.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I don't buy Incineroar being leak bait for a couple of reasons, but one thing that bothers me is that y'all are really undermining insiders here.

They're not dumb, they're plenty experienced with picking out the fake stuff. It'd be one thing if it's one or two, but we're talking tens of them. I don't know what it is, but I'm fairly confident there's a good reason why they all reached a conclusion that Incineroar is in.

I'd sooner believe that the big cat was just outright cut, but even that I think they'd take into consideration.
So the whole concept of leak bait loses every reason to exist.
And so we are saying insiders are smarter than multinationals

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
SA2B was a launch title, or at least like two months after launch. Pretty sure the Dreamcast and Gamecube versions came out the same year
Looked it up. It came out the same year in Japan only, six months after DC launch, and was released to the west about 8 months later in early 2002 for the Gamecube. Either way, the point stands he debuted on the Dreamcast.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
At this point what's even the purpose of calling it 'Event Version (2018/06) if there's basically only going to be a single Event Version leading up to release. It's getting kind of silly. :p
Once they delay it to add in Shrek theyll have to have a new event version to keep people interested.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
You're saying it like it's not already is. :chuckle:
There is difference though.

Ultimate in June/August was amazing

Ultimate post Grinch leak (if real) is another crazy level. The prospect of getting Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Geno AND Isaac in on newcomer roster, along with no cuts, it's ****ing ridiculous to even imagine in your brain. 15 year old me used to have dreams of stuff like that during brawl days when cuts were a real thing and these characters were memed to never happen.

Wambo

Smash Ace
If the Grinch leak is legit this really would be the Ultimate Smash Bros
This is why I laugh whenever I see people who honestly think Incineroar and Minecraft Steve would be the last two fighters when Sakurai seems so focused on making this the best Smash Bros. game ever. Each big Smash Direct is a big reveal, and you think he's gonna end that with two fighters that weren't high on the Smash Ballot hardly anywhere, when he's referring to the Smash Ballot for character choices??

Nah, we're getting
>Boom, Isaac. Ha, thought we forgot about Golden Sun, kiddos?!
>Boom, Geno. Yeah yeah, we hear you crazy palookas! Here's the puppet boi y'all love so much.
>Boom, Banjo. What, thought we couldn't make the impossible happen? Have you not SEEN Cloud?!?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The demo PGW is using on stream is the old E3 demo.View attachment 172917
There's very little footage of the game outside of this though, but based on the one video I found, Ike's character portrait is outdated.
View attachment 172919
Don't know if anyone cares or not but this more or less confirms then Ken leak was a build older than the E3 demo. I know for a while people assumed it was younger than it...

Wambo

Smash Ace
So the whole concept of leak bait loses every reason to exist.
And so we are saying insiders are smarter than multinationals
Don't you know? Insiders are smart government bois. They went to college and spend every day designing Smash Bros. characters they really want so Sakurai doesn't have to listen to us anymore. They have the big IQ, unlike us Smash ****posters.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
But Incineroar being leak bait is still kinda dumb...
Pokemon is the biggest media franchise in the world...
Why would they not add one to this game?
Potentially because they've already added 3 back in who didn't make it into Smash 4. A decent number of new fans exist who didn't play Melee or Brawl.

They also *might* feel they've missed the boat on Gen 7.

Perhaps they began to consider Incineroar mid-development when Sun & Moon came out (I know they decided on Greninja before XY but that doesn't need to be the case this time), but kept him low-priority because his inclusion was an afterthought. Then, the Pokémon Company's focus switched to Pikachu & Eevee before Incineroar's development was finished and the Smash team decided to bench him, and used the opportunity to leak false info.

(Not saying I believe this. Just a possibility.)

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Seriously, does anyone know if Papa Geno is still planning that video? I read someone saying he was being attacked by YouTubers trying to shut him down for some reason.
I have no doubt that Geno fans have that intro remixed or arranged. Can't any offer it to Papagenos so we can get done with this?

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Don't know if anyone cares or not but this more or less confirms then Ken leak was a build older than the E3 demo. I know for a while people assumed it was younger than it...
so that would mean that one leaker who said something has ruffled some feathers internally wrong about that Ken leak?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If the leak is real, the leaker is an insubordinate grunt.

If the leak is fake, the leaker is a consummate mastermind.

And I love that.
Either way, we all win. Sort of.
Supposedly, I have posted a demo build on the deep web, suggesting that Spongebob will be playable in Smash Bros Ultimate. I also included the Old Testament as proof.
Um... care to explain how any of that makes any sense?
It's how you catch leakers. You seed 1 bit of false information with a lot of true information. Federal officials and Police do it all the time.
The good old "I Never Said It Was Poison" principle. Works like a charm.
Nothing surprises me. 'I disagree with you, so I'll destroy your life.' These people need to grow up.
Oh, the complaining I could do about the Nintendo Switch Online payment thread... I'll hold off because I don't want to be banned again, but holy ****, that thread is a mess. The mods can't nuke that thread (and the manchild running it into the ground) soon enough.
The thing is, if a fake leaker was going for absolute convincing, and with all the massive attention to detail he has, he would have listened to Sakurai and leak trends.

Aka, Ken, Incineroar and 1/2 more characters would have been the more convincing leak to make.

Instead a fake leaker would have went through the unbelievable amount of trouble to:

1. Add 7 characters and go against Sakurai's words willingly, many of which people in their wildest dreams wouldn't expect.

2. Add Ken, but leave out Incineroar, a character frequently and consistently leaked with Ken.

To do both of those things willingly is to actually harm your fake leak, because what we got has been infinitely more scrutinized for not having Incineroar and having 7 unbelievable characters left. I mean, it's exactly how Insiders are attacking it ("No Incineroar, too blurry, too many good characters!")

This is one of the reasons why I think it's real. It totally goes against what most people think, a VERY Sakurai thing to do and we all know it.
This is pretty much why I'm inclined to believe the leak is real. Only a lunatic could possibly fake it.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm just going to say that if this is real and Incineroar is nowhere to be found, the fallout for insiders is going to be horrible lol.

I did grow to liking the idea of him, but not before any of these characters. So I do hope that if this is true, they somehow have even more reveals to make or Its just DLC, just for the sake of Pokemon fans.
Yeah, my initial assumption when Sakurai said that he was hoping we weren't expecting "too many newcomers" that meant returning veterans were taking the place of newcomers. And there were 2 returning Pokemon, 4 balance wise, that--unless he wanted to imbalance the Ultimate roster with Pokemon, meant we might not see one this time. And I felt it was awkward how people could say "don't expect too many newcomers", and then say "A Pokemon is a shoo-in" (that's RogerBase's argument against the banner).

However, after Verge's rumors, and now every insider, saying Incineroar's in, I think Incineroar's still highly likely in some form, but not guaranteed. But the rumors are not enough to counterbalance the evidence for it, especially now that we can presume the background doesn't necessarily have to be consistent with the website banner artwork, which was the best argument I had against the banner. I do hope, however, he's in for the fans as well.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Incineroar being bait or not

Anything is possible. Sun and moon was late like gen 5 was in smash 4 and not every source that's reliable gets everything right its just rumors until proven

And may be the first smash with no new Pokemon playable for base, its possible

Wambo

Smash Ace
I have no doubt that Geno fans have that intro remixed or arranged. Can't any offer it to Papagenos so we can get done with this?
It's annoying how they're going after him now, of all times, when he's going to state the reasons why he thinks the banner leak is real.

Just goes to show how afraid some people are by hearing the truth ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
dont actually care if this leak turns out to be true or not, but if this guy is lying or even somewhat inaccurate god help him.

the final characters all seem TOO perfect to me. (at leats perfect to a lot of people) personally i find it rather lackluster unless shadow is a unique.

these dlc lists make me laugh. waluigi??!?? seriously ya'll??? his fate was sealed already you are setting yourself up for disappointment. DLC characters need to sell themselves. niche Nintendo characters are not gonna be DLC. third party and rpomti0onal DLC is what most of these will be. If you want to make lists of potential wants that's one thing, but if you are making lists of dlc PREDICTIONS you need at least 4-5 of ten DLC to be third party characters.
There is literally nothing official saying assists can't become DLC.

I wish people would stop promoting that idiotic fan rule. It's one thing to not expect it, but it's another thing entirely to pretend it's impossible.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
This is why I laugh whenever I see people who honestly think Incineroar and Minecraft Steve would be the last two fighters when Sakurai seems so focused on making this the best Smash Bros. game ever. Each big Smash Direct is a big reveal, and you think he's gonna end that with two fighters that weren't high on the Smash Ballot hardly anywhere, when he's referring to the Smash Ballot for character choices??

Nah, we're getting
>Boom, Isaac. Ha, thought we forgot about Golden Sun, kiddos?!
>Boom, Geno. Yeah yeah, we hear you crazy palookas! Here's the puppet boi y'all love so much.
>Boom, Banjo. What, thought we couldn't make the impossible happen? Have you not SEEN Cloud?!?
After Ridley got in despite being "too big", we definitely need to loosen our definitions of "impossible".

There is literally nothing official saying assists can't become DLC.

I wish people would stop promoting that idiotic fan rule. It's one thing to not expect it, but it's another thing entirely to pretend it's impossible.
I'll be in the corner, rooting for Bomberman and Krystal.

Last edited:

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice
But they did do a video. It's not the video people wanted, but they did talk about it. There haven't really been new developments so it's not like they have any reason to keep talking about it.

(Also they aren't paid by Nintendo so if you reeallllyyy wanna go down the it's suspicious they aren't making videos route, than it makes more sense to say it's because they know it isn't real. But I think they aren't making more videos because they already said their piece.)
This is the same channel that's been known to make 30 minute videos on a crumb of info. And their analysis of the grinch leak was "It's blurry and I think maaaaaaayyyyyyybe I've seen that picture of Banjo before."

I didn't say they get paid by Nintendo, I said they have some kind of deal in place. GX has reuploaded Nintendo Directs and trailers before, and have interviewed Bill Trinen. They undeniably have a relationship with NOA. If Nintendo told them to can it they would, as burning such a big professional bridge would be much worse for them than giving up several days worth of ad revenue.

This is day 5 of grinch discussion, and it's still hard to say one way or another if it's fake or not. If I was running a youtube channel I'd be milking the hell out of this.

It's just weird to me is all.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
DLC Wishlist (Assuming Leaks Are Real)

01) Ryu Hayabusa
02) Impa (Hyrule Warriors Version)
03) Agumon
04) Crash Bandicoot
05) Rayman

06) Giegue
07) Paper Mario
08) Elma
09) Conker
10) Earthworm Jim

Assist Trophies

01) Battle Toads
02) Creeper (Minecraft)
03) Suezo (Monster Rancher)
04) Memetchi (Tamagotchi)
05) Lloyd Irving
06) Heihachi
07) Frogger
08) Spyro
09) Globox

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this point I'm #teammakethisstoppleasepleasemakeitstopitsmakingeveryonegocrazysomeonecall911weneedadirectorsomenewsseriouslyHELPUS.
I don't blame you. This speculation is less fun this time, mainly because there isn't that one guy that proudly claims we'll have a character seen as a joke as the last one. The site staff has been so useless at providing new information that the site may as well not exist and nothing would be different.

Totally agree. From what I've seen of the Smash community over the last decade or so, people would be clamoring for there to be 5-6 Sonic characters minimum given the opportunity. I don't think it's fair to say "this one should be in over this one cause relevancy." Cause in the end, relevancy doesn't and never mattered for picking Smash characters. Even back in Melee people would leak Sonic WITH Tails!

That being said, I'd love having both of them. Depending on which Tails design they use (I love his classic look to death and back), he'd probably be one of my favorites to play. Shadow is a fun character and a perfect addition to the playable Sonic crew in Ultimate.
Yeah, that amount of Sonic characters is definitely within the realm of reason, especially since Knuckles has taken one for the team this go-round (because watching over the Master Emerald is a far more important job than running a town, apparently >> :ultvillager::ultisabelle:). So I'd be fine with Tails as DLC.

Im convinced there could be a nuclear apocalypse and the leak would still ****ing survive.
Considering how Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise has video games that managed to remain intact in such an event, I don't think you'd be wrong.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
It's annoying how they're going after him now, of all times, when he's going to state the reasons why he thinks the banner leak is real.

Just goes to show how afraid some people are by hearing the truth ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Huh! I thought that video was posted already? Was he planning another. he said he think it's real, said sources say banjo's in so that's it.
The only question not answered so far (AFAIK), why this claim when Nintendo is THE publisher NOT Bandai-Namco (developer)?
I'm 50-50 on that leak. It's manageable/doable but if so, it'd be from one mean person.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Since the blog resumes today, what do you all think will be posted tonight? Character, Item, Stage, Assist Trophy, Pokeball, or a double whammy like with :ultpacman: and Green Hill Zone?

Cheesehead302

Smash Rookie
Joker, Doomguy, Sora and Leon Kennedy are the only needs.

Honestly I hope DLC is almost exclusively third party characters. They're far more interesting than any first parties left, outside of maybe Dixie Kong
Ayyy, Doom guy supporters represent, he would be so awesome in Smash.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'm sticking with this avatar because it's pretty cool with a capital C.

So, let's say we're getting 10 DLC characters. What combination of 10 characters would make this the Ultimate Smash Bros. game for you?

For the sake of constancy, let's assume Grinch leak is real and Incineroar is also in.

Here's mine:
  • Sora
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Joker
  • Paper Mario
  • Bandana Dee
  • Euden
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Rex and Pyra
  • Capcom Rep (Either Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Dante, or all of the above)
  • Bethesda Rep (Either Doom Guy or a Fallout character)
I'll extend it to 15:
  • Spring Man/Ribbon Girl
  • 2B
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • New Nintendo IP character
  • Edelgard
  1. Skull Kid (bls Skaurai)
  2. Paper Mario
  3. Rayman
  4. Master Hand
  5. Professor Layton
  6. Fawful
  7. Dixie
  8. Louie (Olimar echo)
  9. Some Pokemon I like (not being picky here, any one will do)
  10. Some other Pokemon I guess?

I'd be completely satisfied with 1. 1-3 would be more than enough and 4-10 are cherries on top.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
If the leak is real, the newcomer roster is just as Ultimate as the rest of the game.

- Inkling: Open up with a popular new franchise character with unique gameplay mechanics. Simple enough

-Daisy: Popular enough to warrant her an echo slot. Not bad

-Ridley: End the initial reveal with a meme-breaking character. People thought it couldn't happen, but it did.

- Simon: one of the last few popular NES "greats" (save for maybe Ninja Gaiden). His inclusion was shocking and unbelievable
- Richter: what better way to support Japanese Castlevania fans by giving them their most popular Belmont!

-Chrom: Sakurai heard the outcry for Chrom even before Smash 4. Plus he probably was cut, so it's amazing to see him finally.

- Dark Samus: TWO metroid reps? What the hell. Now he's just destroying memes.

- K. Rool: No words. Absolutely no words. The man is solving Smash player wishes that are 15 years old. Any sign of the rest?....

- Isabelle: Extremely popular to many people and deserves her first smash outing

- Isaac: I can't, you'll kill me. End game? Final stage of reality?

- Chorus Kids: Smash 4 is officially completed????? WHAT

- Geno: Now you are just trying make me have a heart attack. 4 out of the memed 5 are in the game in one fell swoop?

- Mach Rider: Another previously considered rep! Holy crap STOP.

- Ken/Shadow: Can't breathe, what the hell....

- Banjo: $##%#%#%#^$^##%@&$($( WHAT.

Truly ****ing Ultimate. We need this **** to be real lol.

cothero

Smash Lord
So, considering the leak is real and there's a total of 108 stages, we'll probably get:

- A Mach Rider stage
- A Rhythm Heaven stage
- A Golden Sun stage
- A Banjo Kazooie stage
- A SMRPG or Pokémon Sun & Moon stage, maybe?

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom