• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VGPhaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
philms91
3DS FC
2664-2113-7159
There’s no new updates right? Are more people leaning towards fake now?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm just trying to temper my own expectations, man. He's my number one most-wanted. By thinking that he won't show up since the two major rumored outcomes don't include him, I get to be surprised if he does. I'm not asking anyone else to feel the same way.
Hmm, I guess I can't blame you, especially considering Capcom's apparent obsession with bamboozling us ace Attorney and Phoenix Wright fans, especially this year.

But there's nothing wrong with having some hope I think.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
My 2 cents is that the market Minecraft has is not the target market of smash (Mostly male between 20-35) and that Minecraft bigges gimmick, terraforming, is not compatible with Smash (it would suit for a Minecraft special stage tho).

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
By this logic, we should also get a Tetris rep, a Grand Theft Auto rep, a PUBG rep, etc. Sales =/= deserving. Half the roster wouldn't even be here if we're going by sales.
But Minecraft is different....

Iconic
History with Nintendo
Sakurai enjoys it
Huge worldwide

If you ask me, Steve just fits, I guess you can say...
Like a Puzzle Piece...

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
frogger is nearly 40 years old and he wasted away in arcade hell

look at the eyes of THE most deserving newcomer, not some simple PUPPET
And Minecraft is based around survival, which is something that could be very easy to make come across in Steve's animations.

Frogger is legitimately my second most wanted third party character.
I have to ask, what are some good Frogger games to play? Only one I've ever played is the original and some shameless copies of it. I keep hearing mixed things about other Frogger games, but I know there's good ones. Just have zero ideas where to look.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You want your terraformer? Boom, Isaac.

Cuz... He might have plant-ladders 'n stuff...

I'm not trying to sway your mind here, I'm just saying that one is more deserving than the other. You can be a fan of a character, that's fine, but there are more positives than negatives for Banjo. If he got in, he'd snap right in, like a...

PUZZLE PIECE.:shades:
Isaac isn't a terraformer. It's not what he does. He isn't about rearranging the battlefield to create new things. He just uses elemental abilities. Yes, there's some puzzle elements in the game(though Growth is just likely an item), but he's a psychic swordsman in his abilities.

Steve? is actually about terraforming. In fact, the only other character that is kind of like a terraformer at best is what Isabelle is associated with, but she's still quite different from that. It's actually a very underused battle style, and there's really no character who could do it but Steve? anyway. It's what he actually does(you should do research on Golden Sun before using a very poor example of his abilities).

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
A character being more “deserving” than another is a ****ing stupid argument because it’s almost entirely subjective. Besides, Sakurai puts in who he wants.
I agree Sakurai can put in who he wants and I can accept that and the deserving part is just my personal opinion.

JoshOmega

Smash Rookie
Take a Lu
What if they do like packs at a time for DLC, each with a stage, some music, a character and maybe an echo, and maybe some items

Xenoblade Pack: Rex/Pyra and/or Elma, an XcX OR an Xc2 stage

Golden Sun pack (if the leak is somehow fake): Isaac, IDK anything about Golden Sun but that maybe that Felix dude could be an echo of Isaac, and that lighthouse thing as a stage

Minecraft pack (ew but if Banjo is in I'm fairly sure Steve is to come, inevitably): Steve with an Alex echo, and a generic Minecraft stage

Pokemon pack: Incineroar and/or a gen 8 Pokemon, a gen 8 stage

Zelda pack: Skull Kid with Hilda as a Zelda echo, Hyrule Field stage with Guardian stage hazards

You guys get the point
here take a like for skull kid and hilda!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Here's all the big hidden parts who have been wrong so far. Probably more to come if Artsy continue the banners crop out
  • Orange: Dedede hide the 3rd rock, the only one missing.
  • Black: Zelda and Cloud hidding the spot. The only thing visible is the tip of the left crystal over Cloud knee. Artsy said he don't see it but I think we can see one blue crystal in the leaked picture. So he reproduce the only visible crystal and left the other (Again getting everything right except what's hidden)
  • Red: Hidden by boswer the whole time. He get the iceberg shown on the left of lucario on some banners and miss completely the island who is hidden. Again get every details right except the one hidden.
Bonus: The missing island is in the in game battlefield. Why would Nintendo change the art that much since E3 that it lost an "In Game" island. I don't think this island have been added for E3 only. The battlefield just look more empty with less accuracy with the real in game battlefield without it.

https://i.imgur.com/93d3wdR.jpg
Just to remind every person who hasn’t seen this yet

It has been a while since I posted here helping with the ESRB leak from Smash 3DS. Hi everybody :p

So here's something you can try with the background if you have photoshop, and understand what happens to the image because of the low quality and artifacts caused by the recording.

Let's compare the clean background with the leaked background. Look at the spots marked in red, which are (at least to me) the most suspicious spots in the image.

View attachment 172360

Now, let's apply a filter to the clean background: Filter > Noise > Median.

See what happens to the waterfalls if I increase the value of the filter:
View attachment 172363

The waterfall from the right tends to dissapear, just like in the leaked image.

And this is what happens to the castle area:

View attachment 172364

Doesn't it look a lot more like the leaked image? I just played with the "median" filter in photoshop, that's all. You can try!

So, yeah... My point is that we have been look at the same exact background all the time, but it has been severely modified because of quality and artifacts stuff. Don't forget we are looking at the screenshot of a video in motion of a draft print.

(If you want the same result, apply Median 19 for the waterfalls and Median 28 for the castle area).
And he edited to as if it was a Snapchat photo as best as possible with the motion/blurry/lighting problems

Last edited:

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
I’m not too keen on the background stuff for the Grinch leak, but the one thing making me believe it may be real is that the company hasn’t come out and say anything. Bricard’s old company did, but not this current one.

I’m optimistically hopeful, but I’m also bracing myself for Kencineroar. If this is real, I would be extremely happy. Shadow and Ken are cool echo choices, and Isaac, Geno and Banjo are like the top 3 right now. Mach Rider is an extremely interesting concept. And, quite frankly, I think more people should have seen the Chorus Kids coming.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My 2 cents is that the market Minecraft has is not the target market of smash (Mostly male between 20-35) and that Minecraft bigges gimmick, terraforming, is not compatible with Smash (it would suit for a Minecraft special stage tho).
I'd argue Smash's target audience is "Anyone who's a fan of multiple franchises featured in Smash" instead of that.

KMDP

Smash Legend
You want your terraformer? Boom, Isaac.

Cuz... He might have plant-ladders 'n stuff...
Isaac has way more than Plant Ladders.

Just including the thing's he's got natively, there's:
Move (the pushing technique he used in Brawl, it's not an attack in Golden Sun)​
Cure (a healing move)​
Retreat (allows Isaac to escape dungeons)​
Spire (rains rock-based Stalactites on enemies)​
Quake (creates blocks of Earth from the ground, a visualisation of the tremors he's causing)​
Gaia (causes an eruption of energy from the ground)​
Ragnarok (a giant energy sword, not Terraforming, but it's something he can do).​
Then you can start listing his non-native spells which are still Earth elemental.
Catch (similar to Move, but grabs instead of pushes)​
Carry (similar to Move, but lifts objects)​
Growth (attacks with vines, creates ladders with vines​
Thorn (attacks with large thorny vines)​
Punji (attacks with Bamboo shoots from the ground)​
Rockfall (summons an avalanche of rocks from nowhere)​
Then there's all the non-Earth spells, which I won't list because they're non-native and irrelevant to the point I'm making.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I have to ask, what are some good Frogger games to play? Only one I've ever played is the original and some shameless copies of it. I keep hearing mixed things about other Frogger games, but I know there's good ones.
All I'll say is do not play Frogger 3D...
That game is terrible...

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I agree with other people's arguments about Steve. Steve himself has no emotions, and he's a fully customizable character, where you can make your own skins and change your name. I feel like this category of characters doesn't fit that well into smash, as it's fully up to the player. I realize the same could be said about villager, except that game has a lot of emotion, and one of the main points of the game is based a lot around relationships, and you can see the way that villager reacts to events and other characters.
Thing is, with Villager and Robin at least they're Nintendo's avatars. Steve's a foreign avatar. Minecraft would be better represented in other ways. Steve isn't even the star of Minecraft, the building/world is.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Grand Theft Auto is one of the best selling game franchises of all time, does that deserve a character?

I know kids love Minecraft which is great but being a grand gaming legend and having phenomenal sales isn’t a free pass for 3rd parties, it takes a lot more than that, otherwise Smash would became Mugen at this rate.

And FYI, Smash isn’t just an “80’s/90’s club” there are plenty of characters that come from the 2000’s and a good amount of recent characters from this current 10’s decade that people do enjoy.

Look, I used to hate on Minecraft/FNAF/Undertale because I ignorantly thought it was cool at the time, but people are allowed to enjoy whatever they and the same goes for people who aren’t interested in having those characters in Smash when there’s a lot of classic mainstream favorites still not playable.

Kids aren't obliged to require Minecraft/Fortnite characters to enjoy Smash.

Last edited:

Wambo

Smash Ace
"You want your egg thrower? Boom, Yoshi and Birdo". See? I can ALSO make dumb arguments!
I literally only said Banjo is such a boring choice to me and you've been saying "NUH UH NOT TRUE! CAN YOU GUYS BELIEVE GWEN DOESN'T THINK BANJO IS INTERESTING?". I highly doubt you're not trying to change my mind, trying to use subjective arguments against my subjective opinion I only claimed as fact because it is INDEED a fact that I find those characters boring character choices[/QUOTE]
You're gonna need to turn the "Hostility Nob" waaaaaaay down there to keep me interested in this conversation with yeh, bucko

So tell me, what's so interesting about Steve to you? What do you like about his personali-

What's some funny things he's-

Uhh, what's his story in-

Ummm... What... interesting... grunts has he made lately...?

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
There’s no new updates right? Are more people leaning towards fake now?
With the changes present in the background becoming displayed better by people, I think generally the attitude is shifting towards fake, as there's no sensible reason as to why Nintendo would make changes like that. Can't really justify it.

Now it doesn't debunk the thing because it's still possible Nintendo would make those changes for no real reason we are currently aware of, but its not likely

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Opossum Opossum so immediately after reading your post about your iPad crashing my phone crashed, four times repeatedly.

I go to respond to you saying "well I see your point but you didn't have to give me examples" and I crash, again.

Please call off the hounds I beg of you

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
But Minecraft is different....

Iconic
History with Nintendo
Sakurai enjoys it
Huge worldwide

If you ask me, Steve just fits, I guess you can say...
Like a Puzzle Piece...
Steve fitting in is your opinion and that’s perfectly ok but am I not entitled to mine?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I just remembered... Remember when Warchamp and a smash Commentators seemingly reacted to "Here's a new leak"? Back then with a tweet?

We thought that what they saw was related to the Square-Enix "ruffled feathers" stuff... But I was wondering, what if they saw what those insiders saw?
Granted, again, we don't have 100% gurantee that it was SE's feathers that were ruffled. Though, what if this leak involving Geno was what did it if Square were really the ones angry?

D

Deleted member

People who say "people like Minecraft but not Steve" never seem to address why merchandise is sold of Steve specifically.
Because Steve is, again, the default avatar of the Minecraft experience (and also one where Microsoft and Mojang don't have to pay royalties to make). If you want to roleplay Minecraft in doll or LEGO form, you're going to have to use a Steve because the world of Minecraft established that all humans are to be built like Steve and anything else would ruin the immersion (or make things really weird). If anything, the only times Steve was given a personality was unauthorized Minecraft-based stories sold by Scholastic that went "This Steve is from a long line of Steves that Steved in a world built for Steves, but he doesn't want to be a Steve". Most often than not, the player will simply choose a skin of their own that is not Steve and use that instead, with Steve itself being used in-game in a somewhat ironic manner if it's not for promotional purposes.

Here's my counterargument; if you look at cinema, Avatar is still the highest-grossing film of all-time. The problem is... you ask people what they remembered about Avatar, they'll probably go "Oh, it's those blue aliens" and don't remember anything else. Steve is pretty much on par with those blue aliens (the Na'vi for anyone who forgot); everyone recognizes them, but doesn't know anything else about them of merit. Steve has that exact same problem; his game is everywhere and it made a lot of money, but how many players have played Minecraft solely because they wanted to be Steve and not, say, a Darth Vader skin or a Superman skin?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm not gonna lie. I don't really like Steve as a character, because he's even more of an avatar character than any of the others in Smash right now (I think of him as basically a bunch of cardboard boxes stacked on top of each other that people like to paint tbh), but his moveset in Smash would, without a doubt, be pretty interesting.

Or, just give him the sword and make him the 5th Marth.

Banjokazzo

Smash Cadet
Hey, this may be out of topic, but i simply despise how people say "echo figther" instead of clone

Xiaolinspiration

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4926-8462-7301
I also like how no one is speaking about Shantae and that WayForward is being waaay too quiet when it comes to smash even when it came to the Smash Ballot, advocating for her. . .Seems very suspicious that they could go to either NOA or NOJ to discuss on having her in smash in the base roster or DLC.

vigneault.charles

Smash Rookie
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom