• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't think GX knows anything about the leak, or at least anything positive for it. Everything that they've done up to this point has basically been "it's fake, stop putting stock in it, lower your expectations' and nothing they've done has hinted otherwise. Hell, to stick it home where they stand, two of their members have made bets about the leak saying that if it's wrong they'll do embarrassing things for it. That does not sound like someone who knows the leak is true and is covering, it sounds more like someone who feels strong in their stance and won't budge and I don't think they'd willingly go through all that just to defend something when simpler and less silly options exist for them.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The worst part about the leak, if it's true, is the thought "I wonder what would have happened if the leak didn't happen and we saw it officially first".
Don't know how you'd react (I'd rather know asap), but what I do know is you would most likely not have that awesome avatar. ;)

KMDP

Smash Legend
At the age of 8 I was born with "stupid fellow who keeps misunderstanding TB"
Were you also born without a face?
Yea the bubble is what's stopping me in my tracks.

Anyone got an idea for how it can be GS AND have that bubble?
There's precedence in Golden Sun for Psynergy appearing in the form of a bubble.

There's a one-off Big Lipped Alligator Moment scene the first time you enter Kolima Forest, where the king of the area (a magic tree called Tret) paralyzes Isaac, Garet and Ivan (and Mia if you went to Imil before Kolima), and attempts to turn them into trees. As the spores fall, bubbles surround the party shielding them from Tret's magic.

The group have absolutely no idea what happened, and it never comes up again; they speculate that a person's Psynergy sometimes flares up to protect them (and liken it to Critical Hits).

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Hello! I've been watching this thread from the sidelines, and it's been. .. an adventure for the past day or so, I'll give it that. Decided to register to add a bit to the convo.

I'm leaning towards "True" with the latest leak, however, something I did want to suggest regarding that little sprout...

In the original E3 demo I'd seen, Healing Field just sort of appears in Bulb form, at which point, you pick it up, chuck it, and suddenly, boom, Healing Field. But, what if that was just an earlier version of the item?

Because, it seems to me that it could be more likely that - given how similar the Sprout shown, and the Sprout symbol on Healing Field are - the sprout in the bubble could maybe be a Phase 1 Healing Field? Pick it up, chuck it down - the bubble pops, "waters" the Sprout as it plants into the floor, and then, 5-10 seconds later ... ... ... ding! It's a Bulb! A healthy healing bulb! Which gives you, or opponents, a chance to pick up the Bulb and hurl it to the floor to release the Healing Field.

Obviously, we can't tell unless something shows us in full detail, but at the same time, as much as I'd like for it to support the leak's credibility, I'm not entirely sure we're looking at a Golden Sun item... It seems more likely that the item changed in development between the earliest build shown, and the latest one being wheeled around the country for this Tailgate thing.

Just a thought! Loving the discussion overall so far.

Syntherios

#MasterChief4DLC
NNID
Syntherios
Switch FC
SW-0693-8607-4207
We're nearly a month away, Sakurai. This is your fault for giving the people 5 reveals inside of one month followed by a single reveal that satisfied only a small portion of the fanbase while larger portions were indifferent (and a small, vocal portion hated).

Either give us the final 2 (Kencineroar) or give us a trailer that hints at this leak being accurate. Quit your stalling. (I am of the belief that 5 newcomer trailers inside of one Direct would be a lot; if the leak is true, I dont think we'd get them all at once).
I'm inclined to agree. Considering we're roughly the same distance from release as the ESRB leak was from Smash 4, you'd think they would've considered "five to six weeks before launch" the deadline for the final announcements to prevent this very thing from happening. Sakurai/Nintendo have no one to blame but themselves.

Last edited:

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
Then he got an idea! An awful idea!
The Grinch got a wonderful, awful idea!
"I know just what to do!" The Grinch laughed in his throat.
"I'll make a quick edit in Photoshop and post!"
And he chuckled, and clucked, "What a great grinchy trick!
With this blur and this filter, the reaction will be sick!"
Not this sh*t again. We had people experienced with graphic softwares tell us that while this could have been faked, it definitely wasn't quick.
Nice grinchtext though.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'll concede on that, since they were pretty eager to make a discussion on Star Fox Grand Prix, which never ended up happening even though all of them believed it was going to.
I think the difference is that this game isn't just a rumor (as of now) and it's almost a month away from release.

If they were to get into a discussion and let something slip, Nintendo may not give them an early copy of the game. Seeing how this is one of the biggest games of 2018, I can see why they'd be hesitant to talk about why a leak is fake or real.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Um...what did I miss this time? What's new?
A new, official video about the Ultimate Demo tour for a bunch of US college football games had a tiny glimpse of a hitherto unseen item in it that, by all accounts, is an item or something from Golden Sun.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'm not really sure at the end of the day. Screw Attack as an item gives precedent for this Sprout item to exist, but it could simply be a smash-original item - however, it is an interesting coincidence that we knowing it isn't the healing field since we have actual footage of it, yet this simultaneously exists.

I'm back to 50/50 on this for the time being. This is a rollercoaster.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Hello!

As far as your Assist Trophy question is concerned, we'll have at least 10 more left to be revealed, as we know of 40 at this time, and there are at least 50 in the game. Whether we'll see them or not, it's hard to say, but I have a feeling we will see the remaining ones in the final Smash direct.
This is confirmed?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hello! I've been watching this thread from the sidelines, and it's been. .. an adventure for the past day or so, I'll give it that. Decided to register to add a bit to the convo.

I'm leaning towards "True" with the latest leak, however, something I did want to suggest regarding that little sprout...

In the original E3 demo I'd seen, Healing Field just sort of appears in Bulb form, at which point, you pick it up, chuck it, and suddenly, boom, Healing Field. But, what if that was just an earlier version of the item?

Because, it seems to me that it could be more likely that - given how similar the Sprout shown, and the Sprout symbol on Healing Field are - the sprout in the bubble could maybe be a Phase 1 Healing Field? Pick it up, chuck it down - the bubble pops, "waters" the Sprout as it plants into the floor, and then, 5-10 seconds later ... ... ... ding! It's a Bulb! A healthy healing bulb! Which gives you, or opponents, a chance to pick up the Bulb and hurl it to the floor to release the Healing Field.

Obviously, we can't tell unless something shows us in full detail, but at the same time, as much as I'd like for it to support the leak's credibility, I'm not entirely sure we're looking at a Golden Sun item... It seems more likely that the item changed in development between the earliest build shown, and the latest one being wheeled around the country for this Tailgate thing.

Just a thought! Loving the discussion overall so far.
I can't help but doubt they'd place that item in the E3 trailer if there was any consideration for it to be removed at the time. With the work we'd seen put into it, it just doesn't feel likely to me.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Ok, hear me out. I don't know if this is exactly what I was thinking of, but there's these two items in Kid Icarus Uprising

The Chomp Trap

View attachment 172119

and the Cyclone

View attachment 172121

Perhaps I'm stretching it here, but they look incredibly similar to this new sprout item to me. I wouldn't put past it being an original Smash item.
It could be original, or it could be Sakurai borrowing one of his own concepts to make a similar GS spell work more as an item for Smash.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Yea the bubble is what's stopping me in my tracks.

Anyone got an idea for how it can be GS AND have that bubble?
Well if it was just the plant, wouldn't it look like it's apart of the background depending on what stage you are on? The bubble help adds clarity and indicates it's an item that you can pick up and not just a plant growing in the background.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
That leaf orb though. If it does point to Isaac, then it sure does bring back memories of the accidental Ganon reveal for Smash 3ds. Of course, at that point ESRB already happened, but still. Ouch.

D

Deleted member

Me right now with this potentially GS item:

Interesting development, but there is nothing that proves it's a GS item yet. It's an interesting wrinkle, though.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Items can look/act like stuff from other games but still be considered a Smash original.

For example, the Drill in Smash 4. It's practically the Drill Arm from KI:U, but it's labeled as a Smash series item. The same situation could absolutely apply here.

I don't have a horse in this race at the moment. Just something to note.

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
A super paper mario item in full 3d
yeah I like Super Paper Mario and could see a potential similarity but I'd see no reason for it to be 3D like that, it doesn't really have a match to the picture either.

Besides it's such an odd choice. They have the entirety of Paper Mario 64's, TTYD's, SPM, and dare I say Sticker Star and Color Splash to their disposal for items.

Not sure why they'd choose the sprout.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
I think the difference is that this game isn't just a rumor (as of now) and it's almost a month away from release.

If they were to get into a discussion and let something slip, Nintendo may not give them an early copy of the game. Seeing how this is one of the biggest games of 2018, I can see why they'd be hesitant to talk about why a leak is fake or real.
Wendy’s partnered with them to do the College thing and they seem to not care about the leak lol

Untouch

Smash Master
Thanks lol

Wow this reminds me of that Bubble Dragon stuff (don't remember their exact name). But I can see it being connected to Golden Sun, but I also see it being just a random item from other series as well.
PS: Thanks for the image.
I was thinking Bubble Bobble as well, the Bubbles look identical, but I couldn't find a sprite that looked like that sprout.

BR3Uw[1].png

Chrollo.

fka president wario
That leaf orb though. If it does point to Isaac, then it sure does bring back memories of the accidental Ganon reveal for Smash 3ds. Of course, at that point ESRB already happened, but still. Ouch.
Lucario was also accidentally revealed for Brawl too wasnt he

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nikki! :b: And Kirby there is having way too much fun for a guy getting blown away. That being said, here is something that most have been to busy fretting over other things and ended up not thinking:

If Isaac, Geno and B-K are indeed all covered in one clean sweep for real, who will be the next most desired character picks after that?

Wasn't Mach Rider also renewed?
Wrecking Crew got renewed.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I'm inclined to agree. Considering we're roughly the same distance from release as the ESRB leak was from Smash 4, you'd think they would've considered "five to six weeks before launch" the deadline for the final announcements to prevent this very thing from happening. Sakurai/Nintendo have no one to blame but themselves.
Back in June/July I predicted that we'd get a Direct in August and October. We got the August one, but for some reason didn't get the October one, and now we're pushing November.

If we'd gotten the October one 2-3 weeks ago like I predicted, then none of this would be happening.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Zin I want you to tell me if you really truly believe there is a even miniscule chance the first Paper Mario item will be a small sprout from its third iteration which is also now 3D
Why not?

Much like how that Earthbound Mushroom is used to invert the controls of the opponent, the sprout could be used to directly control your opponent (like mirroring attacks) for a little bit.

Just because it's not the most prominent aspect of the series doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked over. See "Klaptrap" as opposed to "Rambi"

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
This is confirmed?
Yes, straight from the E3 Direct:

There's a wide variety, more than 50 of them appear in the game!

I've documented the directs personally, so I can verify it is accurate. I listened to it many, many times, so I figured I might as well do something useful and catalog the information for future reference.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Ah yes, I'm sure this dismissive post will indeed sway many to your side. Would care to illuminate us as to how he's wrong?
When a Leak is out and Insiders have info,you have no company going to said third parties and saying "OH YEAH SAY IT'S FAKE BTW"
At best they're journalist, they keep it quiet or comment on it.

But in no way would Nintendo go to them to tell to everyone it's false for a free review copy. Especially when like half of those insiders aren't people who get those kind of "bonus" from Nintendo but are just Insiders who share rumours and things they hear.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Additionally, I would like to remind everyone to try to avoid spammy posts, one-liner posts, image only posts, and quote only posts or ones with “^” or “truth” written in it.

I know tensions are high and topic discussion have been exhausted save for this leak but do try to keep posts on-topic (whatever that is). This is technically still a discussion thread, not a social thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom