• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Let me guess, they said something like...

"B-B-But the leak is missing Incineroar!...", right?

I'm starting to think a whole lot of people got duped by Nintendo. Like, seriously? EVERYONE has insider information and somehow knows about Incineroar, but aren't willing to divulge what they know at this point? You guys got MEGA duped.

If anyone with "insider information" is reading this, either spill the beans so we can all figure this out or just shut up. List your sources and reveal what you know so we can figure this out and get out of the circle we're running 'round and 'round in. We're visibly starved for information here, and we'd all appreciate it if one of you could take the fall and ruin your lovely and meaningful friendship with this random source all of you seem to share.

"Wow, Wambo, that's a horrible thing to ask of someone. Ruin a friendship over a video game?"

A lot of people seem to share the same source, so I doubt they're super ultra mega best friends. The fact that they can't share their source makes me think that it's someone we know, like Bill, or some rando at Nintendo.

Again, somebody, PLEASE SPEAK OUT.
Dude, it's a video game. Chill.

Outing people and potentially ruining lives is not worth it just to know if a bear or a wrestlemania kitty is playable or not.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I mean, I'm not surprised something like this would happen only weeks before the game comes out, but this is a bit embarrassing. Now, some of the community (not just here) is tearing each other to shreds (definitely in other places).

I'm stuck wondering what fans of "confirmed" and "deconfirmed" characters will think if this "leak" is proved false. This one has been...decent, but I don't know what to saw myself if Sakurai really reveals this many characters after suggesting he wouldn't.

Obviously, I would be fine with this being real, as long as it doesn't shut down other characters' chances, and I unfortunately can't say that will be the case.
To shreds, you say?
There have been far more people ****ting on Incineroar and trying to discredit Verge solely because of Incineroar even before this than there were people "shoving him down other people's throats".

The hate was always there. Nothing changed except now people are more obnoxious about it because it seems like they won in the end.
It's true that the hate has always been there, but while I can't speak of the community as a whole, this thread in particular dipped very far into the "If you don't like Incineroar, then **** you" pool as of recently.

It was honestly quite oppressive.

Not saying that the hate is okay, mind you, but the fact that people were shoving Incineroar down others' throats should not be ignored because of it. Ignoring a smaller problem because of a bigger problem tends to just not work out in the end.
Besides, if this leak does end up being fake, then things will only get worse in that regard.

At this point, it really doesn't matter which leak is real, things'll go to hell either way.

Unless of course, neither is correct, in which case I don't even know what could happen.
Even better:

Sakurai walks up to the camera. "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is our love letter to our fans and to their most wanted characters. In the past few days, it has come to my attention that the Smash community is particularly fond of the Grinch. Consequently, we have decided to include him in the game, but unfortunately the contract forced us to remove the other newcomers in order for him to be in the spotlight. We're sure you'll be happy with this development. Happy smashing!"
How the Grinch stole the newcomers' spot.
I'm still strongly on team real
I'm still watching from the sidelines, though there are so many strong personalities flying around that it's kinda hard to just watch sometimes.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Other than a select few folk, it's really not toxic here. The only people being toxic, ironically, are some of the higher-ups and insiders who should be trying to maintain some amount of composure. That one Smashified member, some of the ResetEra mods, Liam Robertson, Gamexplain, they're all displaying some uncharacteristic rudeness and cockiness.

EDIT: Chrono. Chrono. Holy **** what the hell is wrong with some folk.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
God damn this is just.

Such a weird leak.

A leak of this scope should be definitively disproved at this point but it just...isn't.
I agree with you man. This leak is sorta hurting me inside. It just refuses to be outright deconfirmed.

Don't get me wrong, I want all these great characters, but I have a BAD feeling this will go weeks without being deconfirmed and then the inevitable Smash direct will start with Incineroar or something and there will be MASSIVE salt.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Incineroar being leaker bait is highly unlikely as so many people knew about him. What's the point of trying to single someone out if there are so many people that could have done it?

I'm sorry, did I... did I miss something or?
Yes but incineroar could have ended in the same fate as Chrom and chorus kids in smash 4 or dlc its just that simple

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Serious question:

Does Spawnwave think the leak in particular is fake or that the characters being in at all is bunk? I just want to make sure because he seems to only be saying "There are a few missing."
He just thinks it's "too good to be true" and apparently has also heard incineroar/possibly Sora, but those could be just DLC or fake info in the end.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
But at the same time it's got these little oddities that don't outright deconfirm it but are still kinda weird.
It's such an odd situation.
And so many of those little oddities got counterpoints.
Hate to bust out the "HAHAHAUEHEUHEUE SHULK LIL MAC? IDIYITZ" point but...."Game & Watch's hand is bleeding into Wario, fake" was so common back then.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
With the analysis of the background done by vaanrose vaanrose and his associate(s), sadly I'm pretty well convinced that this is not a legitimate leak, but rather an extremely impressive stunt orchestrated by a very clever fake leaker.

However, there's still that rumor that a Super Smash Bros. Direct coming in the next couple of weeks, and there's nothing going against that one—in fact, there's even a little going in its favor! That still has me feeling pretty excited, personally.

Besides, it's been really fun and nice to have something to talk about again, so I'm not all that burnt by this fake leak briefly fooling me and getting me excited! If the Direct isn't coming until later next month, I'd even welcome more elaborate, convincing fakes to help pass the time, honestly.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Honestly I sort of expect a Prima Guide leak before the next direct. I’m really surprised one of them hasn’t leaked yet.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
To shreds, you say?

It's true that the hate has always been there, but while I can't speak of the community as a whole, this thread in particular dipped very far into the "If you don't like Incineroar, then **** you" pool as of recently.

It was honestly quite oppressive.

Not saying that the hate is okay, mind you, but the fact that people were shoving Incineroar down others' throats should not be ignored because of it. Ignoring a smaller problem because of a bigger problem tends to just not work out in the end.
Besides, if this leak does end up being fake, then things will only get worse in that regard.

At this point, it really doesn't matter which leak is real, things'll go to hell either way.

Unless of course, neither is correct, in which case I don't even know what could happen.

How the Grinch stole the newcomers' spot.

I'm still watching from the sidelines, though there are so many strong personalities flying around that it's kinda hard to just watch sometimes.
Well, maybe not to shreds here exactly. But I can at least say we all can't possibly disagree on this "leak" much harder than we are right now.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Honestly I sort of expected a Prima Guide leak before the next direct. I’m really surprised one of them hasn’t leaked yet.
Speaking of guides, who bought one and which version.

I grabbed the hard back guide. I like hard back books. Since the game is a christmas present, it has to tide ne over for 17 days.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
'give us a hot dog, old man'
~ chorus kids strangling conductor, probably
Okay, even though I feel miffed that if this leak is real the Chorus Kids got in base and Skull Kid didn't... I admit that this string of posts now has me kind of like the Chorus Kids from the hot dog headcanon alone. :) Good job, a headcanon won me over.

(Plus Skull Kid can still be DLC anyway)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly I sort of expected a Prima Guide leak before the next direct. I’m really surprised one of them hasn’t leaked yet.
I bet no one leaks it, because Prima decided to list the characters in alphabetical order instead of CSS order again, or some other flub like that.

Either that, or it hasn't been out of the printing warehouses yet.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Wait...so box theory is now geared towards having 9 newomers? Its official we're in an alternate dimension.
Yeah, I had no clue what they were trying to say there to be honest. I know there's immense straw grasping going on, but could not figure out the internal logic. :rotfl:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Hey so, we still talking about The Grinch Leak?

Cuz further inspection of the blurry image shows a LOT of inconsistencies with the entire mural as a whole. Jigglypuff being in the wrong place. Shadow covering up the Miis's area. Olimar going from tactfully to the right of Snake to in the foreground infront of Snake's knee in a move that looks mad photoshopped.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
With the analysis of the background done by vaanrose vaanrose and his associate(s), sadly I'm pretty well convinced that this is not a legitimate leak, but rather an extremely impressive stunt orchestrated by a very clever fake leaker.

However, there's still that rumor that a Super Smash Bros. Direct coming in the next couple of weeks, and there's nothing going against that one—in fact, there's even a little going in its favor! That still has me feeling pretty excited, personally.

Besides, it's been really fun and nice to have something to talk about again, so I'm not all that burnt by this fake leak briefly fooling me and getting me excited! If the Direct isn't coming until later next month, I'd even welcome more elaborate, convincing fakes to help pass the time, honestly.
Mind getting me that analysis

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Hey so, we still talking about The Grinch Leak?

Cuz further inspection of the blurry image shows a LOT of inconsistencies with the entire mural as a whole. Jigglypuff being in the wrong place. Shadow covering up the Miis's area. Olimar going from tactfully to the right of Snake to in the foreground infront of Snake's knee in a move that looks mad photoshopped.
We've been through that stuff already, if you're interested go back about 100 pages

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
God damn this is just.

Such a weird leak.

A leak of this scope should be definitively disproved at this point but it just...isn't.
Not gunna lie, this theory has enough holes that if this leak was as dissapointing as the box theory it would have been thrown away.

Not saying it's a point for or against it, I'm not trying to disprove it anymore, just saying hype is good at keeping things alive.

I keep getting ads for the Grinch movie.

Coincidence? I think yes.
Have you been watching leak related videos that mention the Grinch, or were you looking up the materials and renders for the Grinch movie?

Because then no it's not a coincidence it's the Google algorithm.

Last edited:

Flon

Smash Cadet
Either way we're going to be looking back at this for a long time. It's certainly been a rollercoaster that, while isn't outright denied or confirmed, continues to grow each moment despite its bizarre and elaborate nature. It's unlike the majority of leaks you see.

Last edited:

Confirmation

Smash Ace
You're just justifying my spite

While I agree with this, it's really damn hypocritical coming from you.

Then we 1v1 in a Squad Strike, teams of 5.
You use the 5 leaked uniques
I use Little Mac, Shulk and Ken

No one was making "lmao the banjo/geno/shadow/isaac fans are crying right now" posts or making edits of those characters crying as the leaked ones dab.
In all this time, I never saw any Incineroar fans **** on unconfirmed characters so this really isn't a role reversal.
Literally Smashburb, my dude.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Verge is sticking to his guns that is isn't congruent with the info he has. He's not going to come out and totally disavow it.

Chalk up another "insider" tiptoeing around this leak. Honestly I think that's the only thing he can really say without expressly confirming or disconfirming it. I'm surprised he said anything at all given how much he hates the Smash fanbase now.

D

Deleted member

In all honesty, this thing has scary parallels to ESRB. Like, nearly everything that's coming to light about it is lining up with what happened back then. It's a little spooky.

Only reason I think it's fake is because I personally assume all leaks are most likely fake until they're real to avoid disappointment. That, and it's just so wishlisty. It just feels fanmade, and I'm not saying that disproves it, but it does make it hard for me personally to believe it. It feels like it was made by someone who knows a bunch of Smash trivia and what's been popular in the community for the past decade or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom