• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Mach Rider isn't confirmed to be female- The original victory screen and melee trophy refer to him as male.
I would think twice before taking Melee trophies to seriously. Japanese-to-English translations have pronoun shenanigans all the time.

Also, it feels good talking about a character that we didn't already for months.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
This kinda also is where some of my qualms are at.

If we're getting Banjo-Kazooie, Geno and Isaac all in the base roster, then why not just go all in and put Bandana Dee and Skull Kid? Yeah, Ultimate's newcomers are affected by the Figher Ballot in a good amount, but not for like, a HUGE amount.
Because Skull Kid is the Midna or Giraham of this speculation cycle.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
The fact that the MIi Fighters are now put together seems to me to be one of the tightest and smallest details that really completes it for me. They haven't been together until this leak, so if someone were to fake it and had a hard time faking it they would just skip clustering them together. That's a Nintendo Effort right there.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Just watch, if this is real, people are gonna get mad that Mach Rider and Chorus Kids got in, but not Skull Kid...
I can see it now

Flyboy

Smash Hero
If this is real, I could not even remotely fathom anyone being disappointed. Holy ****.
This is the thing. I'm a massive Elma supporter. My other picks are unconventional - Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, Neku Sakuraba, Ayumi Tachibana, M. Bison, Dr. Robotnik, etc - but at the same time...look at this roster. LOOK at it. Isaac? A Rhythm Heaven rep? The OG echo fighter? Another Sonic rep that has GameCube ties? And the potential for DLC fighters? That's absolutely insane. I'd be over the moon about it despite none of my most-wanted characters getting in except Simon. It's a fantastic roster and more than. I ever expected considering I thought Smash Switch was just gonna be 4 Deluxe.

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
Hoooooool up. What's the full context of this image? I've seen the banner image, but I just woke up. Also happy 6000 pages.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Question: How the HFIL do you structure a direct that has 5 newcomer trailers to show?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Spoiler Alert for the upcoming Source Gaming article trying to disprove this:

They’ll say it has no Pokémon rep, must be fake

It’ll mean there will be more than 103 stages, must be fake.

Goes against Sakurai’s quote to not expect too many new comers, must be fake.

Goes against Sakurai’s quote they’ll be slowing down newcomer reveals, must be fake.

Goes against the box and card theory we’ve been heavily pushing, must be fake

The shadows thing, someone said that, yup, must be fake.

I like Source Gaming, but they can get hung up on some of their own ideas.
Remember when they did a video and said Geno would be a Mii Gunner echo and nothing else? Remember when tried claiming exclusive rights to images they didn't have exclusive rights for? Remember when one of their writers was a ****ing plaigerist?

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I mean, he HAS slowed down. Isabelle would be a pretty long gap to whenever the next direct is compared to the wait from after the 8.8 Smash Direct to Isabelle.

Slowing down =/= less characters, just more time in between the next character announcements.

I'm saying this having not seen the leak yet granted lol
Exactly. I mentioned it earlier but I really feel like people took Sakurai’s statements too literal. I’m not on Team Real for this leak yet, but the two arguments that people are presenting (“Sakurai said there wont be too many newcomers” and “Sakurai said he’s slowing down character announcements so this makes no sense” just aren’t good arguments lol. The first one is hella vague, and Sakurai could’ve just as easily meant “Don’t expect as many as you got in past games” which would be right. Assuming this leak is real, we’d be getting barely more than Melee/64 and less than Brawl/4, with or without counting echoes.

As for the second argument, you summed it up best. Sakurai literally just meant there’d be more time between announcements, but that doesn’t mean that there’s only one or two characters left. Assuming this leak is real once again, if they’d go the same speed as the E3 and August directs (i.e. 3 or 5 reveals every month), they wouldn’t have any new characters to show off in the last direct. So again, that falls in line fine with him simply meaning there’ll be more time between reveals.

D

Deleted member

So it becomes war between Florida and Japan that neither wants to give up despite having no stake in it.

I think that's how World War One went.
Florida is made up of Tourists, the elderly, and large swaths of swamps & lakes. There's not enough people of fighting age within it that would actually care to war against anyone; let alone Japan. Though Chubbs would make a pretty scary mount for someone. (Chubbs is the 16 ft monster Gator that roams the golfing greens in Palmetto.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Armband or not, it's obvious that it's supposed to go around something (an arm, a column, whatever). Which brings the point of... if this is fake, why the armband thingie? What's the point? It's too far-fetched to me that a fake leaker would come up with something like this, which makes me lean towards team real.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
What if the Grinch is just a placeholder for Shrek? They're both big, green, and picturesque masculinity.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
This is the thing. I'm a massive Elma supporter. My other picks are unconventional - Travis Touchdown, Phoenix Wright, Neku Sakuraba, Ayumi Tachibana, M. Bison, Dr. Robotnik, etc - but at the same time...look at this roster. LOOK at it. Isaac? A Rhythm Heaven rep? The OG echo fighter? Another Sonic rep that has GameCube ties? And the potential for DLC fighters? That's absolutely insane. I'd be over the moon about it despite none of my most-wanted characters getting in except Simon. It's a fantastic roster and more than. I ever expected considering I thought Smash Switch was just gonna be 4 Deluxe.
Exactly. I want Dixie, Buzzwole, Skull Kid, and a few others.

But like look at this ****ing roster. Look at the whole thing, not just the newcomers. Absolutely ridiculous.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I still would like to see this banner.. If possible could get to the bottom of it myself but i doubt it..

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just watch, if this is real, people are gonna get mad that Mach Rider and Chorus Kids got in, but not Skull Kid...
I can see it now
"Wow, why did Sakurai put this nobodies instead of REAL fan picks?"

You know it'll happen.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Page 6000 wooooooow.

Anyway, if this leak is real I think Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong and Skull Kid have the potential to be our main DLC frontrunners this time.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I can see it now
I'll be disappointed, but not mad. What I will be mad about is if Skull Kid is a boss. Not only has Skull Kid never been a boss, there are also tons of actual, long-standing Zelda bosses to choose from, instead of taking a fighter-sized character you never fight and turning them into a boss for no reason.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, Im peronally dissapointed and while I cant say The roster is good from my own personal view, its good for other people, just not for me, sadly.

i really do wanna like the game but Im finding it hard to with my intrest in the characters being low
If there is any consolation. Most of these characters had a very vocal fanbase for Smash. The pool of highly requested characters has been reduced by quite a bit. So if Sakurai where to open up another ballot for DLC, you'd have an easier time in getting your voice heard.

I'm not too interested in any of these characters myself though I'd be happy for their fans, if it does end up being real, I'd be feeling more optimistic for my faves during the DLC period.

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
page 6000 and smash ultimate might have leaked and we are talking about the grinch.

yup normal day on smashboards.

CaptainCC

Smash Journeyman
No Jill from Drill Dozer and Hotel Dusk guy, so I hate the whole roster and btw this must be fake.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Saw this thing last night. Roster's satisfying, no doubt about it if true, but frankly don't care that much. If it's fake, let's move on, but if it's real, then congratulations, Nintendo! Even when you try to keep things secret, someone goes out their way to leak you stuff 36 (derp, too tired) 43 days prior to your release.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Armband or not, it's obvious that it's supposed to go around something (an arm, a column, whatever). Which brings the point of... if this is fake, why the armband thingie? What's the point? It's too far-fetched to me that a fake leaker would come up with something like this, which makes me lean towards team real.
We're dealing with a lunatic any way we slice this.

Either someone torching their career for internet kudos, someone torching a co-worker's career for revenge or a person who puts more effort into an elaborate leak than most of us do in things that matter.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Why wouldn't they be top wanted characters?

That was the point of the ballot.
While I generally agree with those who say not every character needs to have been popular on the ballot... if it wasn't used primarily for Smash 4 DLC (oh hi Bayonetta), then why have it if it wasn't to be used for characters for Ultimate? And so far--Inkling, Ridley, King K Rool, Isabelle--all seem to be popular ballot picks based on polls and Mii costumes (and for all we know, Simon could have been high up there too).

That being said, it is too good to be true, which is why we should be skeptical. But in hindsight, this roster (including Mach Rider and Chorus Kids) makes sense when you piece it all together.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
(Fixed ;))
If this leak is real it's surprising that we actually got 16 newcomers which is two more than what Melee got. I made this edit of this infographic to show how the newcomer count and lineup looks like throughout the Smash series if this leak is real

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of Inceniroar, we could be in another Gematsu situation where it was once considered but got cut for whatever reason. Cut characters seem like prime candidates for DLC anyways so no huge loss to its fans (probably). On the topic of cut characters, Chadondorf mentioned Monster Hunter, Ray 01, and Dixie. Anyone remember the date when Nintendo cancelled Custom Robo's copyright? Was Chad's statement before or after this?

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Florida is made up of Tourists, the elderly, and large swaths of swamps & lakes. There's not enough people of fighting age within it that would actually care to war against anyone; let alone Japan. Though Chubbs would make a pretty scary mount for someone. (Chubbs is the 16 ft monster Gator that roams the golfing greens in Palmetto.
You forgot meth addicts.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm skeptical of the leak for now. That's 5 uniques and 2 echoes. I just can't expect that many left with a month and a half and in just one direct left to go.

But if it is real, I'd take it. If there's a big bang of characters that people are banking on, this could be a good set for that. But I do feel like people should take a step back before letting the optimism of this contradicting one of Verge's big claims (That there's a new Pokemon on the roster) guide their judgement.

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
And thus, this thread went full-on turbo thanks to the Grinch.
Huh.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Page 6000, cool.

Also, no other ballot please. I'd like to see nostalgic characters making it in, but Pokemon, ARMS and Xenoblade could only get a newcomer via DLC, so it'd be cool if they had a chance.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
I'm leaning towards team real, but skeptical. So much is going for this leak it seems far too elaborate to be fake. But people are capable of some ridiculous things so I'll wait for some confirmation before getting too hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom