• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If this leak is real it's surprising that we actually got 15 newcomers which is one more than what Melee got. I made this edit of this infographic to show how the newcomer count and lineup looks like throughout the Smash series if this leak is real
2 more than Melee. You forgot Isabelle.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If this leak is real it's surprising that we actually got 15 newcomers which is one more than what Melee got. I made this edit of this infographic to show how it could look like if this leak is real
It probably helps to think of the fact we'd only really get 10 unique newcomers and 6 Echo Fighters (that would presumably be balanced similarly to how Lucina and Dark Pit were in Smash 4, therefore not being a multiplication in terms of development) Brawl and the base Smash 4 had far more non-Echo newcomers in comparison, 18 and 15 respectively.

Potato_

Smash Lord
You have no idea how happy I'd be with the obligatory Pokemon slots being taken by someone else.
TBH while I love gen 8 pokemon, I really want them to stop the trend of adding a new gen pokemon every Smash. Not every gen needs representation IMO, especially when Pokemon has some of the highest already.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I will say this if this is fake then this has to be the one speculation cycle that has disregarded human well-being the most out of any cycle I've seen or read about

-Blaming disasters/ associating disasters with fictional characters.

- Trying to ruin livelihood by attaching real names to fake leaks...

Feels bad man.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I mean, I was told that hours ago, but I didn't think we would spend so much time talking about The Grinch?
An image of the banner also had some promotional material of the upcoming Grinch Movie in it
Grinch.png

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well evidence seems to point to real but my gut says it's fake.

But my gut's not been the most reliable thing, either in predictions or it's intended purpose, so perhaps it's all real and the last Direct is a massive blowout of Smash goodness.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I don't mean this to prove or disprove anything but from what I hear this is just screen caps from a Snapchat video then turned into a collage. Snapchat specifically looks like garbage on Android because the app has an in with Apple so rather than using an Android device's actual camera directly it records video by recording the screen, which is why Android Snapchat videos ALL look like that.

The amount of characters and the shadows thing are both suspect but I still think the Grinch and everything related to it are too suspiciously plausible to call total fake. It could be like the ESRB.leak again where one dude shared it to the wrong person and it soread because said wrong person wanted glory.
Or it could be that the Grinch stuff is legit and the Smash stuff is false maybe? Idk.

I do think that having an entire picture of the mural with no characters seems pretty legit to me. The shadows thing on the full banner though is pretty amateurish I'll admit.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
I really don’t know how to take this leak. There are so many things that are going for it, but then my mind is saying...

5 brand new characters with 2 echos? That's a lot of characters to release in about a month. Didn’t they say they were slowing down? We were also told not to expect too many new characters too!

Do any of these new characters get stage representation? Do I believe the 108 stage leak now too? It seems odd to have completely new franchises not represented by a stage. Mach Rider and Geno could get a pass due to be a retro rep and a Mario rep, but no Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, or (above all else) Banjo stage seems really odd to me.

I really hope Nintendo gives us a direct soon, or some news. I think it would really help to start putting this puzzle together.

Glitch_man42

Smash Rookie
I would like to point out an arbitrary point, but Daisy kinda looks like she is suppose to be interacting with someone yet isn't. That doesn't disprove it, I just wanted to note that.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Can we get the tldr summary and image reposted, so we don't have to go searching for it? I am curious about it
Also how does the Grinch tie into all this
Lastly: I'm fine without a Pokemon in the base download. I'd rather them take their time & weigh their options
I'm sure it's been explained dozens of times over, but the leak came from a Snapchat video of a French dude working at what appears to be some kind of marketing company that produces prints and other materials. This was confirmed through reference to his LinkedIn, which was found through leaker's poor masking of his name, and has apparently existed for years, though it is now set to private.

The video also included what appeared to be not-yet-seen materials for the upcoming Grinch movie, as well as technical instructions for mounting the Smash banner to some sort of overhead display, and the kicker, a version of the banner pic without any of the characters - a blank, giant battlefield. Ignore any threads that have only the roster pic - they're bound to be full of people nitpicking character placement etc. without taking into account everything that surrounds it in the full pictures.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Can we appreciate there is now a theory called Grinch theory?
Here's the image.

I wasn't here for the full story, so you're on your own on that front.
Hmm...probably the most compelling and well thought out "leak" I've looked into.

Also a note to people saying it's too many chars...Sakurai implied that there won't be a bunch of chars for each direct (the E3 and Castlevania directs implied we should expect that every time), not that there are only a few characters left.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I'm not sure...I mean Vergeben is dead set that he's the Playable Pokemon.
But seems that people are going to say that he's Gematsu 2.0

So idk, that's an interesting showdown that we have now.

Box vs Vergeben vs Banner

Box is Chaotic evil with only two Characters left
Vergeben is neutral with 3 at worst
Banner is Lawful Good with 7 left
Nah nah nah, Banner is absolutely Chaotic Good. It's Sakurai lying to our faces for months just to surprise us with every character we've ever wanted.

Also I'm not looking forward to the salt and dissapointment of Mach Rider's blog post where Sakurai incorrectly refers to her as "him" and now that will be the new canon :/

KMDP

Smash Legend
Can we appreciate there is now a theory called Grinch theory?

Hmm...probably the most compelling and well thought out "leak" I've looked into.

Also a note to people saying it's too many chars...Sakurai implied that there won't be a bunch of chars for each direct (the E3 and Castlevania directs implied we should expect that every time), not that there are only a few characters left.
Grinch Theory is the best theory.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I finally caught up to the madness.

You know what, not gonna say a thing.
I will wait til this is debunked, but secretly hoping it grows strong.

Stronger than even the Ken leak when people tried to disprove that.

All hail the BANNER LEAK!

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I 100% believe this leak. As far as I can tell there are only two reasonable pieces of evidence against it.
1. The shadows are goofy. Sometimes they don't make sense.
2. Jigglypuff's eyes got weird.

As for the shadows, that's not a certain thing by any measure. It could be that Nintendo is only giving characters shadows if they're on the ground. It could be that there are too many shadows, or that it's just too blurry to really tell the nuance in the banner.
For Jigglypuff, we don't know why his eyes are so big. I bet if we had looked at Wario's eyes in some banner leak, we'd have dismissed them as well because they're so big. But we can see the unblurred banner with Wario, so we can tell that Pokemon Trainer is attacking him. We know why his eyes are so big. Maybe it's the same for Jiggs? Perhaps there's something pointy beneath him? Only by unblurring the picture can we really tell.

Of course, this wasn't intentionally leaked. This was a Snapchat video, man. I've used Snapchat on crappy phones before and they typically come out around this image quality. (Actually, if the phone was shaky at all it would've come out a lot worse. This was an intentional photo, but probably only supposed to go to a friend. The caption seems to be an in-joke of some kind.)

I fully believe this leak.

D

Deleted member

Can I just say, with how people meme Incineroar as a WWE heat-like character, how absolutely fantastic the timing is with Incineroar now becoming Smash Ultimate's saving grace after so much heat and Roman now getting the love after so much heat.

A team of "leakers" that has their Smash guy somehow right versus a promotional box versus some guy with a Grinch sticker.

We really do live in the best of timelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom