• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Spoiler Alert for the upcoming Source Gaming article trying to disprove this:

They’ll say it has no Pokémon rep, must be fake

It’ll mean there will be more than 103 stages, must be fake.

Goes against Sakurai’s quote to not expect too many new comers, must be fake.

Goes against Sakurai’s quote they’ll be slowing down newcomer reveals, must be fake.

Goes against the box and card theory we’ve been heavily pushing, must be fake

The shadows thing, someone said that, yup, must be fake.

I like Source Gaming, but they can get hung up on some of their own ideas.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Something's not sitting right...

Seems like a lot to reveal all in one go. It makes for a very odd reveal cycle.

Start with 1 newcomer,
then 7 returning veterans, an echo and a newcomer
Then two Newcomers and Three Echos
Then one Newcomer by herself
and now (apparently) 5 Newcomers and two Echos.

I can't but my full support behind it but it's more to do with a gut feeling than evidence.
Everything about this pacing has been odd, whether we have 2 characters left or 7. Sakurai even said himself that things would slow down--then makes sense after a long slowdown to gear back up.

7 in a month does seem like too much. But not impossible, depending on how they dole them out. My gut feeling is that if this is fake--it's one of the more well thought out and executed fakes.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Back when the Ridley reveal happened, I decided that I would be happy with only one or two newcomers, and that I really wanted only 2 characters from the new hopefuls: Simon Belmont and Bandana Dee. They seemed like reasonable choices and I really love both of those characters. Geno, Isaac, Ken, etc... they seemed -plausible- and I liked them, but I considered those more like "nice surprises", not characters I would get my hopes up for.

It just kinda hurts to think that Bandana Dee, my 'safe' hopeful, is excluded (assuming this leak is true).

More hurtful is that if this leak is true, the only female newcomers we got (out of 13) were a Clone Princess and a Dog... :(
Mach Rider is female, as are Dark Samus, Inkling and half of Banjo Kazooie

MainJPW

M.T.A
5 brand new characters with 2 echos? That's a lot of characters to release in about a month. Didn’t they say they were slowing down? We were also told not to expect too many new characters too!
Referring back to a post by Fenriraga Fenriraga

I mean, he HAS slowed down. Isabelle would be a pretty long gap to whenever the next direct is compared to the wait from after the 8.8 Smash Direct to Isabelle.

Slowing down =/= less characters, just more time in between the next character announcements.

I'm saying this having not seen the leak yet granted lol

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Not going to lie, I really, really want this to be a true leak (although after this good luck getting Sakurai back for another game)...

But this is just too good to be true. I can't believe it, that many newcomers and all the top wanted?

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
That blur image rofl. Leak? I dare to say: NO.

The generall size of all characters have been reduced while the lenght of both Images seem equal just to fit to the first Image. The rearrangement of some characters seem to contradict but...

Two of the Mii-Fighters are simply covered, by the newcommer in question, Miibrawler by Shadow and MiiGunner by Banjo-Kazooie, while they seem to be lost. That parallelogram in the centre of the blur image, which seems to be set up on the image itself. Very unlikely...

I wonder what will also be found to debunk that, if it needs to, that is.

Very sceptical of the validity.

Have a nice time everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Mach Rider is female, as are Dark Samus, Inkling and half of Banjo Kazooie
Mach Rider, at the moment, is whatever gender you want them to be. Seems super manly, so it's hard to imagine them actually being a girl, but I wouldn't have any problems with it.
Dark Samus doesn't have a gender.

D

Deleted member

That blur image rofl its so bad...

The generall size of all characters have been reduced while the lenght of both Images seem equal just to fit to the first Image. The rearrangement of some characters seem to contradict but...

Two of the Mii-Fighters are simply covered, by the newcommer in question, Miibrawler by Shadow and MiiGunner by Banjo-Kazooie, while they seem to be lost. That parallelogram in the centre of the blur image, which seems to be set up on the image itself. Very unlikely...

I wonder what will also be found to debunk that.

The image itself is not what verifies it, it's the fact that it's been confirmed the leaker was hired by Bandai Namco to make promotional material for them. The quality of the image is irrelevant when the source is legitimate and verified.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace

Umm...none of the miis are covered

D

Deleted member

Not going to lie, I really, really want this to be a true leak (although after this good luck getting Sakurai back for another game)...

But this is just too good to be true. I can't believe it, that many newcomers and all the top wanted?
This kinda also is where some of my qualms are at.

If we're getting Banjo-Kazooie, Geno and Isaac all in the base roster, then why not just go all in and put Bandana Dee and Skull Kid? Yeah, Ultimate's newcomers are affected by the Figher Ballot in a good amount, but not for like, a HUGE amount.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
"The Smash Community REFUSES to get more than what they expected!"

I swear, most of you who call fake are only saying it because it's more characters than you/we expected. Why don't you find legitimate, palpable reasons to disbelieve it beyond 'that's a lot'?

I personally have no stake in this, would like it to be real for all of the fanbases involved, and believe that there's a lot of compelling evidence involved (leaker ties to Bandai Namco, all the Grinch stuff). Definitely not sticking my foot all the way into real territory, but for goodness sake take a look at all of the evidence provided and form a better opinion than 'that's too much', especially when Sakurai has literally lied about character counts in the past (and that 16 newcomers is less impressive when you consider 5 of them are clones).

I'm also seeing a lot of buffoonery with Banjo's render when it literally looks nothing like anything supplied to take it down, can nobody see Kazooie's right wing flapping behind her head? That mockup posted way earlier proves nothing.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Guys, when people look back at this thread in years to come, they'll go to page 6000, and see talk of the Grinch. :p
How, confused they will be.
Very I imagine.

Went back to page 2000 out of curiosity and there were 4 chan leaks with Ashley as a playable character on them.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
It's too long to be an armband. If you even had that as a belt, you would barely be able to tell who the characters are.
Seems more likely that it's supposed to wrap around a column or something. It's possible this could be intended for Nintendo World Store?

osby

Smash Obsessed

If we're getting Banjo-Kazooie, Geno and Isaac all in the base roster, then why not just go all in and put Bandana Dee and Skull Kid? Yeah, Ultimate's newcomers are affected by the Figher Ballot in a good amount, but not for like, a HUGE amount.
I don't want resort to good old "citation needed", but we don't have ballot results.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

They can't put everyone on can they. Bandanna Dee is tricky because Sakurai is weird over Kirby (and it's a generic goon), and Skull Kid could be because we have 6 Zelda characters now, and all of them are still the Triforce bois

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And France immediately surrenders
So it becomes war between Florida and Japan that neither wants to give up despite having no stake in it.

I think that's how World War One went.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace

Because there's a limit to how much you can cram into one game. There's a limit to how hard you can push developers.

This roster would be beyond most people's wildest hopes and dreams.

No roster, no matter how good, is going to have every single character that every single person wants. It's literally impossible.

Last edited:

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman

All the Mii fighters are grouped to the right of Bayonetta. I don't know what parallelogram you're referring to - some of the images floating around are stitched together from different video frames. That it?

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
On TeamFake till proven real. Mainly due to the amount of newcomers still left to revealed and the shadows. I would love for this to be real btw, but NO WAY do I want to disappoint myself.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman

Sakurai said from the start not to expect too many newcomers. It's easy to believe he just means a fair bit less than in the last games, but still at least ten.
The rest could be DLC. Easy to imagine Dixie Kong DLC, Shantae DLC and Bandana Dee El Cee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom