• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I was a supporter of both Bandanna Dee and Elma, but having Chorus Kids is more than worth it for me...
Your experiences are not universal. For some, Bandana Waddle Dee/Skull Kid/Elma are their number one and no character could be an adequate replacement.

Me? I don't particularly care for Chorus Kids (I don't hate them, I just have no interest in Rhythm Heaven), but if I get Isaac (and Shadow), I couldn't care less.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I still have an hard time to believe that Sakurai went
"Don't expect too many newcomers"
"We need to slow down the reveal, we don't have much left"

Only to have half the newcomers left.
The first statement is way too vague though. People took it as us only getting about 6 (Unique) newcomers but it could’ve easily been meant as “Don’t expect as many newcomers as Smash 4” as with 11 unique newcomers, that’s still less than Brawl and Smash 4, along with Melee (I think) and Smash 64. Echoes do bring up the character count up a bit, but they’re really just meant to fatten the roster a bit more like with Melee due to time constraints. They’re essentially just bonuses.

As for the second statement, I’m pretty sure the full translation meant that Sakurai didn’t wanna rapid fire reveal characters like he did in August because it’d leave nothing left for the final direct, which is true if we consider this leak real. If they were to reveal 5 or even 3 characters every month since august, we’d have basically nothing left for the final direct.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
If the leak is right and there is no layton at all, not even as DLC, I will be very very very let down. Good thing I dont plan in buying the game anyway
If you highly expected professor Layton then you put your hopes way too high. Also why even mention you’re not buying the game? This is a Smash Bros. ultimate discussion, if you already planned on not buying it then why complain about something you weren’t planning on buying.

D

Deleted member

As a Crash supporter, i see hope for DLC in regards to him, should this leak end up being true.

Ultimate was developed way before the fantastic release of N Sane Trilogy, so he wouldn't be considered back then.

But there are chances for him as DLC: he has the demand, the interest by the people at Activision, some decent releases of the company on Switch (Diablo kind of counts because of the fusion with Blizzard), etc...

There's still hope, but like with K.Rool, patience is key.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm gonna lean on Team (I Hope It's) Real here for now. Probably because I feel like any other lesser alternatives would be insanely disappointing in comparison.

This just feels a immensely satisfying way to finish down what'd make Ultimate truly feel "ultimate" Smash-game, as it was first advertised when we saw it revealed this year.

Sure, a good sum of fanbases will still be disappointed. But in exchange, we're going to have plenty of big fanbases satisfied nonetheless, starting with ones of Banjo-Kazooie and Isaac, probably the current biggest of the big in the western fanbase.

And we can then move on to Shadow, Chorus Kids, and Geno? And that's after we got likes of Ridley, Simon Belmont, and King K.Rool.

And then, adding up every character we got in Smash-games all prior, including all the 3rd parties... including Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu, Cloud Strife and Bayonetta.

I'll be real honest with you guys... doesn't any of this sound even remotely close to phenomenal to you?

We're already getting full roster of EVERY fighter prior to Smash - no cuts from last game, and we're getting even more lost fighters on top of it all. And they get to duke it out with more than half of most-wanted characters in Smash's fan speculation history, including Ridley, K.Rool, Simon Belmont, Banjo, Isaac, Geno, and many more?

Holy. ****.

That's probably the very best of what we have ever received up to this series. And we still have DLC to one more chance for certain characters.

I'm really stoked to see this be a reality, as you can see.

Of course, while it's true that having so little time to show all the newcomers (7!?) makes this feel less credible, we're about to close down to one month for Ultimate's release anyway. A leak like this that nearby seems pretty interesting coincidence to emerge near that time - especially when under a month ago it used to be a mere text leak. (A loophole there though, a month after announcement would allow a way to develop the fan illustrations on the banner.)

Last edited:

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Back when the Ridley reveal happened, I decided that I would be happy with only one or two newcomers, and that I really wanted only 2 characters from the new hopefuls: Simon Belmont and Bandana Dee. They seemed like reasonable choices and I really love both of those characters. Geno, Isaac, Ken, etc... they seemed -plausible- and I liked them, but I considered those more like "nice surprises", not characters I would get my hopes up for.

It just kinda hurts to think that Bandana Dee, my 'safe' hopeful, is excluded (assuming this leak is true).

More hurtful is that if this leak is true, the only female newcomers we got (out of 13) were a Clone Princess and a Dog... :(

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If you highly expected professor Layton then you put your hopes way too high. Also why even mention you’re not buying the game? This is a Smash Bros. ultimate discussion, if you already planned on not buying it then why complain about something you weren’t planning on buying.
Just because you don't plan to buy the game doesn't mean you can't be interested.
Just because you don't want to watch a movie doesn't mean you can't look up information on it
Just because you don't want to buy a book

Yeah I guess it's easy to understand

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
I already expected not to get what I want so me not getting Crono won't make me love this game any less. Like a lot of us have said at this point any more characters are just icing on the cake

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ok my bad that might not be Skull Kid or any character. But let's recap shall we?
These 7, :ulticeclimbers:, :ultinkling:, :ultisabelle:, :ultkrool:, :ultdaisy:, :ultpichu:, :ultpokemontrainer:(Squirtle and Ivysaur need icons dammit), :ultridley:, :ultchrom:, :ultdarksamus:, :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, :ultsnake:, :ultwolf: and:ultyounglink:
That would be TWENTY THREE extra characters from 4 total, that's nuts
Sakurai went to the doctor for his arm and they gave him the good meds.

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
The problem I see with the roster is that there are no shadows and the Chorus Men look very similar to their official art. Even one mistake alone makes me critical of this leak.

There is also the blurriness. Like someone said before, it;s not hard to take a decent photo on a phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Wait a second

If this dude posted his real name and it’s fake, wouldn’t his company get in trouble?

If it’s real only he gets canned but I would expect there to be big repercussions if he misrepresented/faked it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Well I didnt expect Layton at all. I wanted him, But I didnt expect him. Quite the opposite, I tell myself he isnt ever gonna be in smash. Its just my fault for breaking my own heart lol

I did plan on getting it, but that went out the window when I noticed Id only be getting it to plat as Villager since, well, hes really the only character Im intrested in on the base roster, sadly

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not going to lie: if Banjo, Isaac, and Geno were all revealed in the same Direct, I'd be a crying mess by the end of it. Basically the scene in Bedazzled where the guy is totally inconsolable after looking at the sunset. As I said in the Geno thread, this base roster would have been the dream roster us Boomers would have wanted for Brawl 10 years ago.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The first statement is way too vague though. People took it as us only getting about 6 (Unique) newcomers but it could’ve easily been meant as “Don’t expect as many newcomers as Smash 4” as with 11 unique newcomers, that’s still less than Brawl and Smash 4, along with Melee (I think) and Smash 64. Echoes do bring up the character count up a bit, but they’re really just meant to fatten the roster a bit more like with Melee due to time constraints. They’re essentially just bonuses.
This is something I had been saying since months ago.

How many is "too many"? We don't know what Sakurai specifically meant by his statement. We can make educated guesses, but that has potential for biases to break in.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
If Geno really is in, I have some character-learning to do ASAP. I've wanted Geno for 10 years but since then my playstyle has turned into being reliant on heavies. Theres no way he isnt at the very least my third most used character even if I'm **** at playing him.

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
I'm on team Probably Real Or At Least I'm Optimistic Enough To Put My Faith In It For Now (PROALIOETPMFIIFN)

Sakurai definitely has slowed the pace of reveals, but I took his comment to refer to the frequency of new information rather than the amount. Having c.1-2 characters in a general Direct, then the rest in a big blow-out Smash one a few weeks later (like the 100 Facts) doesn't seem impossible to me.

Personally, I'd love for him to still be revealing new content right up until launch. Something like having a new announcement per day Mon-Thurs of launch week, then the game on the Friday? obvs not going to happen but it would blow everyone's minds

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, if this is real, would there be anyone who would still be disappointed with the roster?
Many people would be disappointed but in the end you're not going to please everybody. My most wanted is a Rhythm Heaven Rep, followed by a new MOTHER rep and Crono.
That being said:
>Ridley, Geno, Isaac and K Rool, arguably the top four of smash discussion since Brawl era, in
>Banjo Kazooie, never talked about prior due to people not believing it was ever possible, in
>Chorus Kids to complete the Gematsu leak after all these years and please fans of those franchises, in
>Simon and Ricther Belmont, another pair that were so impossible prior, in
>Inkling, love to Nintendo's newest huge franchise that became a quick Smash contender, in
>Mach Rider, a fan favorite among retro game fans, in
>Isabelle, one of Animal Crossing's most beloved characters, in
Not to mention the echo fighters helping get characters people have wanted for over a decade. For me, Smash 4 had a lot of mixed reveals, but this has been winner after winner, and if this is real, it's hard to think of a better job Sakurai could've pulled off.

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
Okay guys I know it's gonna be hard but we gotta ride the waves on this leak and get to page 6969

D

Deleted member

here, this will mostly explain everything
Okay, so...

> "People were idiots about thinking Steve and a character from Granblue Fantasy are coming to the roster"
Hey, I like this guy. :nifty:

> "There's no more Fire Emblem"
You know that's a straight-faced ****ing lie, we're going to get Edelgard when Fire Emblem: Three Houses comes along as DLC after Robin/Lucina and Corrin.

> "Banjo, Geno, AND Isaac are in the game" / "7 characters are going to be in the next direct"

hi hello why.png

Yeah, calling the Bull**** Police because we got a Code Brown here. Look, I'm all for having every character in existence in this game, but the moment you say that there's gonna be 7 characters is just insane. And even if you announce one in the upcoming General Nintendo Direct next month and have 6 characters in the next Smash Direct, I think it's a bit much, even for Smash Ultimate.
Also, we're going by the "only get characters people want and add one retro character" route, and this has always been an iffy one.

At the end of the day, my thoughts: People are gonna forget about this after a few and nobody is really gonna care afterwards.

The problem is that Smash Ultimate has become quite the cesspool of severely fake ****, that even the most real "leaks" are shoved under the rug. Remember when the whole E3 reveal was leaked, yet nobody cared and shoved it off like nothing? Even people during the Isabelle reveal never really thought about the whole thing about people leaking the roster, as she was mentioned a lot. I think the only time people will genuinely have attention to any leak at this point is if Nintendo's Intern-kuns does it themselves, like the Castlevania Incident. Had Smash Ultimate not been filled with countless theories, LaxChris shoving down "CONFIRMED LEAK" videos down our throats, thousands upon thousands of text-only leaks, and much MUCH more to list off of, I think this new "leak" would be taken more seriously.

Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
As someone who uses Snapchat on a crappy Chinese phone, I'm surprised this picture is as clear as it is. This leak is 100% real. Shadows be damned, they're inconsistent anyway and I'm not concerned. We have far too many things going for this leak than things going against it, even down to previously unseen renders of the GRINCH.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Someone on Reddit mentioned that most of Roy's right foot was hidden in the banner behind Inkling but with this leak, his right foot is shown fully, which has never been seen before. If this is true, why would a fake leaker go through the trouble of adding Roy's foot if it was fake? Why not just keep him where he was?

You can actually look for these details in a lot of other characters. It's not just moving characters and adding new ones, if it was fake you have to also draw in things hidden behind other characters.

I'm going with team hmmmm BUT probably real with this one.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Not going to lie: if Banjo, Isaac, and Geno were all revealed in the same Direct, I'd be a crying mess by the end of it. Basically the scene in Bedazzled where the guy is totally inconsolable after looking at the sunset. As I said in the Geno thread, this base roster would have been the dream roster us Boomers would have wanted for Brawl 10 years ago.
Normally I'd be a little upset that this kind of surprise (may have been) ruined, but I don't think knowing about Geno or Banjo ahead of time will make me ugly cry any less when they're revealed.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I love Phoenix Wright and the Ace Attorney series a lot.

But I gotta be real.

There are so many Capcom characters far more iconic and noteworthy in gaming/Nintendo that should probably be a consideration before him for Smash Brothers.

That's the danger of some of these companies. They have a list of iconics a mile long, but Capcom just might be the one that has the MOST.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Wait a second

If this dude posted his real name and it’s fake, wouldn’t his company get in trouble?

If it’s real only he gets canned but I would expect there to be big repercussions if he misrepresented/faked it.
While this may not be a "likely" leak, what I do find likely, given what we know from people searching the guy and the company, someone's getting fired, regardless if it's real or he faked it. The question is would someone risk their job to fake this?

the answer is yes, people are stupid :chuckle:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Mach Rider is female as well.
Mach Rider... might be female.
More hurtful is that if this leak is true, the only female newcomers we got (out of 13) were a Clone Princess and a Dog... :(
Don't forget :ultinkling: (who's default alt is the female one).

You can also make arguments for :ultdarksamus: being female.

And don't forget all the females that are already in the game.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Well I didnt expect Layton at all. I wanted him, But I didnt expect him. Quite the opposite, I tell myself he isnt ever gonna be in smash. Its just my fault for breaking my own heart lol

I did plan on getting it, but that went out the window when I noticed Id only be getting it to plat as Villager since, well, hes really the only character Im intrested in on the base roster, sadly
You tellin' me out of all the 70+ characters Villager is the only single one you actually like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom