• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I do think it'd be funny if the biggest leak of Smash 4 came from "Mother****ing Leaker" and Ultimate's came from "**** Nintendo Lollll" leaker. Very classy. xD
Those are/were the captions accompanying the respective leaks fyi.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
This is one of those rare leaks where the biggest thing going against it is that it's "too good to be true". This would be a pretty close to perfect roster for me, but I refuse to get my hopes up.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
I will say that Mach Rider could hypothetically be a Falcon Echo, but four newcomers is still a very large number and unless the last direct is 45+ Minutes I just don't know how they could feasibly cover it AND online, Spirits, any other features we haven't seen yet like Vault-related stuff, etc. It's a lot to ask when each character will probably take up 3 minutes. You're talking at least 15 minutes dedicated at BEST if you get 3 minutes per each 4 + 3 minutes for 3 echoes, and that's a very generous estimate time-wise.
Well if the "double direct" rumor is correct, some of the smash stuff could be in the general direct.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I doubt Mach Rider would be a Falcon echo as he's on his bike on the picture, I know we've had a situation like it in the past with Dark Pit and his staff, but it'd be quite odd. Not really sure what equivalents of Falcon Punch and Kick he'd have either.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
1. Someone post the entire banner
2. Peoples claim it's fake
3. The banner turns out to be real

This is like the ESRB leak again... I'm worried for the designer/artist for the banner, if he's involved with Nintendo or Bandai he may be fired...

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I doubt Mach Rider would be a Falcon echo as he's on his bike on the picture, I know we've had a situation like it in the past with Dark Pit and his staff, but it'd be quite odd. Not really sure what equivalents of Falcon Punch and Kick he'd have either.
Mach Punch and Mach Kick.

Last edited:

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
I'm thinking most of the characters will be DLC. They might be pulling a Street Fighter V Seasonal Pass scenario.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I honestly doubt this is real, mostly in the hopes I didn't just accidentally spoil myself. If it is though, we've got 7 new fighters, possibly 8 if it turns out that the "break in the clouds" is actually Gardevoir or Kos-Mos. This definitely feels like it's 50/50 in terms of real or fake, and all it's done is make me want a smash announcement EVEN MORE just so we can verify if this is legitimate.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
1. Someone post the entire banner
2. Peoples claim it's fake
3. The banner turns out to be real

This is like the ESRB leak again... I'm worried for the designer/artist for the banner, if he's involved with Nintendo or Bandai he may be fired...
4chan found his linkedin and he's involved with Bandai...

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
The lack of a Pokemon rep AT all is what shocks me more than Verge being wrong about a certain fire cat.
I've always said people forget how many pokes are in, we've always got new ones cause old ones got taken out. Having them all here really shouldn't ask for another when new poke representation is in as pokeballs (aloha vulpix, exegutor, ect)

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
The lack of a Pokemon rep AT all is what shocks me more than Verge being wrong about a certain fire cat.
I dunno, 9 fighters in the game, 8 of whom are unique, and 3 of them didn't appear in the last game? Perhaps Sakurai thought that was enough?

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Ffs people please it's clouds. We worked it out already. Pack it up. No KOS-MOS. No Gardevoir. It's a break in the clouds that's behind Sheik on the current panorama. Look for yourselves.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
You know... actually, now that I think about it, there's no reason why we absolutely HAVE to get a Gen 7 Pokemon added into the roster. Think about it. Why would they add in a Gen 7 Pokemon when Gen 8 is going to be officially revealed early next year? The spotlight will be completely shifted away from Alola. Saving the Pokemon slot for a Gen 8 mon for DLC to promote the upcoming games would make far more sense from a business standpoint.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
This universe requires:
  • "We've focused on making sure every fighter returns, so I hope you don't expect too many new fighters"
    • ...to refer to 16 new fighters.
  • "We have a few new fighters left, so stay tuned"
    • ...to refer to 9 new fighters.
  • "…That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace from here on out."
    • ...to refer to "just kidding, we have 7 new fighters shoved into the last month."
  • Revealing 5 newcomers in the last Direct
    • ...when most Directs have revealed 1, and no Direct ever has revealed more than 2.
  • And as a less important bonus, it requires Verge to have been wrong all along.
All of this is bonkers and the stuff of silly playground rumors.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
This universe requires:
  • "We've focused on making sure every fighter returns, so I hope you don't expect too many new fighters"
  • "…That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace from here on out."
    • ...to refer to "just kidding, we have 7 new fighters shoved into the last month."
    • ...when most Directs have revealed 1, and no Direct ever has revealed more than 2.
  • And as a less important bonus, it requires Verge to have been wrong all along.
Setting aside Sakuraitheabsolutemadman.argument, patterns exist to be broken (especially with Smash), Sakurai has made the exact same blatant lie about fighter counts twice in the past, both for Brawl and Smash 4, and he loves to overperform and surpass expectations. It's unlikely, but you really should stop calling it impossible.

Your entire argument seems to stem from 'it's more than I expected so there's no way it's real.'

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean if real Sakurai could have played us to make another ''Everyone is Here!" type of hype situation.

I mean this has Geno, Banjo, and Isaac alone.

That in one direct ALONE could kill a majority of the users of this board and many other internet boards that discuss Smash Bros.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know it's been said, but if fake, it's truly impressive how the assets were separated and recreated. Look at the Battlefield panorama by itself.

Excuse his French.

Last edited:

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
This universe requires:
What if some of them are DLCs? Not trying to say it's real, but I think that's a possibility.

Now that I think about it, how exactly will DLC fighters be implemented in the banner?

11th

Smash Apprentice
Whether box theory is correct or not, whoever designed the "rows of 9" pattern doesn't know how to design. You typically read left to right* continuously from up and down, not left to right up to down stop in the middle and go to the other side than left to right up to down...

It's the first big thing that annoyed me about the Box, and I'll be flabbergasted if that ends up being the final design choice.
Yes! Someone else gets it!

inb4 Ken is the only fighter left and there will be a spot with just a Smash logo or something on it on the other side of the box.
You say that as a joke, but the back of the Switch bundle box has one character space using the Switch logo instead of a render...

Anyway, my two cents the new news...
I'm not buying it. For perspective, this is coming from someone who found holes in the Palutena leak well before the creators came forward (Quick explanation: They messed up a bit on the background.), and who still can't find any major holes in the Ken image.

Take that second one as you will.

Though patching the background might take a little time, it's do-able, and masking makes it easier to move characters around. With how blurry that image is, it's really easy to hide imperfections, so masking and patching could be done somewhat haphazardly, too. That said, it does look like a few of the ground shadows have been lost. Snake's and Olimar's in particular seem to be gone or very faint. Also, I may be reading it incorrectly given the image quality, but Isaac's pose and proportions look fairly painful.

The person supposedly being a graphic designer just tells me that they probably have the skill level to fake something of this level if they want to. Blurry group portrait is a lot easier than a believable looking, clearly photographed 3D render. Unless they post a clearer version, I'd recommend taking it with a bag or dozen of salt.

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
This universe requires:
I don't think its unbelievabilitly on paper is enough to debunk it, honestly. As it's standing now, this game has shocked everyone over and over again with its character inclusions.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
d5zGiQJ.png

"Leaked" newcomer locations for people who can't be bothered finding them

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
If this is real, then nobody's going to take Sakurai's 'curb your expectations' comments seriously ever again. Could lead to nasty situations where he's being serious (i.e. most of the time) and people get their hopes up too high. While this is definitely an impressive fake - if fake; great if it isn't - Sakurai was probably being completely genuine, not overly modest/taking us on a ruse cruise, when he said not to expect many newcomers.

Also, if all these characters are going to be in the base game, haven't they slightly limited their options for DLC? True, there are a whole load of third-party big hitters they could still include, but I was expecting at least one or two of the big fan requests to be saved for DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom