• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Too good to be true, too clean to be fake, seems like a legit leak, seems like one of those fakes everyone believes and then gets cold hard reality, I don't know any more.

My thought process, in a nutshell.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Gut says to immediately dismiss anything that is single-shot or grainy--fakers want to hide the artifacts of manipulation, while what real leaker would just take 1 picture and say "Yeah, I'm good."

But shifting characters around is impressive. So, for fun, I'm going to document the characters shifted around (or added) in this image.
  • Doc + G&W moved in (right), Corrin moved up.
  • Mii Brawler & Swordfighter replaced with Shadow
  • Sonic, Daisy, & Greninja moved left + Mii Gunner removed to make room for Banjo Kazooie
  • Olimar (& Mr. Saturn) moved under Banjo Kazooie from the right
  • Miis moved to a new formation left of K Rool's mouth, taking the space of Luigi and ROB; Swordfighter top left, Gunner middle right, Brawler on bottom
    • The Miis being together does make sense--they are all the same size/style and aiming left as if in formation
  • Issac filled in spot between Lucario & Ike, where Olimar was
  • Yoshi moved right and down, Sheik moved down and right into his space; Luigi & ROB reinserted right of Falco/left of Diddy
    • All the characters "trying to fly" are now together in a line--cute
  • Ken inserted between all of those characters and Samus
  • Pikachu shifted down and way to the right; Inkling shifted to the right
  • Rosalina + Bowser Jr. shifted up and to the right a bit
  • Mach Rider inserted between Inkling, Rosalina, and Roy
  • Geno inserted under Dark Samus
  • Jigglypuff moved to the lower right of Dark Samus
    • Why? Her size/pose seemed design to fit in with the "Pokemon Trainer attacking Wario" scene she was in
  • Villager moved to the left, Pokemon Trainer and Wario to the right, to make room for Chorus Kids below Young Link
Alright, so...

First, let's just point out that if this was a text "leak", everyone would have laughed about it. It's the most generic list of predictions ever, with the bizzare exclusion of any Pokemon.

5 newcomers is ludicrous. And disqualifies this out of the gate. I'm not even sure where to begin with the laundry list of straight-from-the-source things that disqualify 5 newcomers.

The box render disqualified Shadow (as a Sonic echo) from the base game, so that also puts us in la-la land.

Mach Rider and Chorus Kids are clearly reaching for legitimacy--but there's a reason characters from previous games were rejected. Unlike Villager and PAC-MAN, who faced increasing pressure to be included (Animal Crossing got huge, Namco developing Smash), these ancient artifacts have less relevance and pressure to be reconsidered.

Then we've got the absence of a new Pokemon, Nintendo's single biggest franchise. I mean, that's possible. But FIVE throwback characters and not one Pokemon? Really?

All that said, they did a good job. While some of the movements don't make sense, most are clever. The Mii grouping is a really easy prediction for what the real banner will do, and I could definitely see the "flying" lineup happening.

Also, what is with the wacky other images in the corner? My guess is that they are trolling watermarks/signatures.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Apparently the Linkin account has been deleted or is now private...
It hasn't been. What happens is when you refresh the page LinkedIn will tell you to make an account to view profiles, but I've been able to access it multiple times since people have said it was private or deleted. People are apparently confusing this for it being privated.

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
Mach Rider doesn't use the Melee trophy design. Does anyone think that has an impact on the leak or no?
Nah. That design was made 20 years ago. Sakurai could always choose to do a more fitting design from their original appearance.

D

Deleted member

There's something about the artwork of the characters that just looks off, I can't say precisely what it is, as I'm not too sure.

I want to believe this leak, but I just can't.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Mach Rider doesn't use the Melee trophy design. Does anyone think that has an impact on the leak or no?
Not really. They could have just decided to go for the classic design for Ultimate. Maybe the redesign is an alt. Maybe it's an alt. color.

Sakurai works in mysterious ways.

Shroob

Sup?
Gut says to immediately dismiss anything that is single-shot or grainy--fakers want to hide the artifacts of manipulation, while what real leaker would just take 1 picture and say "Yeah, I'm good."

But shifting characters around is impressive. So, for fun, I'm going to document the characters shifted around (or added) in this image.
  • Doc + G&W moved in (right), Corrin moved up.
  • Mii Brawler & Swordfighter replaced with Shadow
  • Sonic, Daisy, & Greninja moved left + Mii Gunner removed to make room for Banjo Kazooie
  • Olimar (& Mr. Saturn) moved under Banjo Kazooie from the right
  • Miis moved to a new formation left of K Rool's mouth, taking the space of Luigi and ROB; Swordfighter top left, Gunner middle right, Brawler on bottom
    • The Miis being together does make sense--they are all the same size/style and aiming left as if in formation
  • Issac filled in spot between Lucario & Ike, where Olimar was
  • Yoshi moved right and down, Sheik moved down and right into his space; Luigi & ROB reinserted right of Falco/left of Diddy
    • All the characters "trying to fly" are now together in a line--cute
  • Ken inserted between all of those characters and Samus
  • Pikachu shifted down and way to the right; Inkling shifted to the right
  • Rosalina + Bowser Jr. shifted up and to the right a bit
  • Mach Rider inserted between Inkling, Rosalina, and Roy
  • Geno inserted under Dark Samus
  • Jigglypuff moved to the lower right of Dark Samus
    • Why? Her size/pose seemed design to fit in with the "Pokemon Trainer attacking Wario" scene she was in
  • Villager moved to the left, Pokemon Trainer and Wario to the right, to make room for Chorus Kids below Young Link
Alright, so...

First, let's just point out that if this was a text "leak", everyone would have laughed about it. It's the most generic list of predictions ever, with the bizzare exclusion of any Pokemon.

5 newcomers is ludicrous. And disqualifies this out of the gate. I'm not even sure where to begin with the laundry list of straight-from-the-source things that disqualify 5 newcomers.

The box render disqualified Shadow (as a Sonic echo) from the base game, so that also puts us in la-la land.

Mach Rider and Chorus Kids are clearly reaching for legitimacy--but there's a reason characters from previous games were rejected. Unlike Villager and PAC-MAN, who faced increasing pressure to be included (Animal Crossing got huge, Namco developing Smash), these ancient artifacts have less relevance and pressure to be reconsidered.

Then we've got the absence of a new Pokemon, Nintendo's single biggest franchise. I mean, that's possible. But FIVE throwback characters and not one Pokemon? Really?

All that said, they did a good job. While some of the movements don't make sense, most are clever. The Mii grouping is a really easy prediction for what the real banner will do, and I could definitely see the "flying" lineup happening.

Also, what is with the wacky other images in the corner? My guess is that they are trolling watermarks/signatures.
Even if it's fake, this is more fun than debating about the Box or Vergeben for the next 2-3 weeks until the Direct.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Even if it's fake, this is more fun than debating about the Box or Vergeben for the next 2-3 weeks until the Direct.
Totally, this is a way more fun fake leak than literally anything before.

My only reservation is contributing to the already precariously inflated expectations that the majority of people seem to have.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
What.

Did.

I.

****ing.

Miss?

Good lord I go to play Dead by Daylight and farm for the Halloween event and there's a been a madhouse of a "leak."

I honestly have no idea what to believe. Like none. I'm on team what and see for this one.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
My verdict is 50/50. Him being a graphic designer should give him the ability to create a convincing fake, but here's the caveats -

-He will almost certainly be fired for this since his name was so easily traced back.

-His name eventually leads back to Bandai Namco, meaning there is a very real possibility this is real.

I want to see more images since it's so hard to determine with what we have but beyond that? We probably won't know. The coincidental "x many days out from release" being similar to the ESRB/Smash 4 release also sets off red flags for me, but circumstances OUTSIDE of the image make me actually think this could be real.

Ergo, why would a guy throw away his job in order to jape the internet with a ploy that would have otherwise been quickly forgotten about unless people tracked down his name/place of employment? He's dumb either way but that is 500% Darwin Award-tier stupid if he went that far.

I also have a lot of reservations about how plausible that many newcomers is, too, but given the brevity in which we saw both Ridley/Rool, I guess it could happen. I'd just be very, very surprised.

delet this

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Totally, this is a way more fun fake leak than literally anything before.

My only reservation is contributing to the already precariously inflated expectations that the majority of people seem to have.
Honestly it's fun when something like this comes along. I'm getting the game whether it's real or not so it's just an exciting pastime to me.

If it were just the single panorama I'd dismiss it, but to ALSO back it up with a totally empty panorama, and for the profile to be traced to a graphic designer tied to Bamco? Just tossing it aside is premature.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can't be objective on a possible leak that has Isaac and Banjo so I'll just wring my hands from the sidelines until it's proven fake whereupon I can have a nice cathartic cry. :upsidedown:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Ergo, why would a guy throw away his job in order to jape the internet with a ploy that would have otherwise been quickly forgotten about unless people tracked down his name/place of employment? He's dumb either way but that is 500% Darwin Award-tier stupid if he went that far.
And, if this is a calculated blaze-of-glory ploy, why one extremely low-res image? It's trivial to take 2, or 10, which is how the ESRB leak went down.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The biggest point against the leak is that there's 5 unique newcomers. 5. That's insane. Not to mention Ken and Shadow as echoes.

It's hard for me to believe that is the case but goddamn I would be overjoyed if it was.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This is a lot more unique newcomers, when I swore by 3 at the least I thought 2 would be the number of unique characters left and then anything extra by chance like Shadow, etc, etc would be more echoes.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Just throwing this out there, this could be the jeuxvideo trolls as well.

I'm staying undecided for the time being.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
If anyone wants to see where everyone is, I've outlined and numbered them. Black/white = veterans. Red = new characters. Blue = leaked characters. Yes, everyone is in there.

Have fun.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I was thinking "yooo what would they do for mach rider he could be so hype"

and then i realized he would just be a falcon echo fighter

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
From what I've tried to piece together, I had thought this was someone sending a Snap to a friend, not intentionally leaking it--their friend copying their Snap, and it somehow getting out. Still, trying to be skeptical of the leak, but it's kinda believable in how amateurish the photo looks (believable if true, but it's also a good way to fake it and hide small details).

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
So the guy is getting fired from his job regardless if this is real or not, right? Why we he screw himself over with something fake? Now he's probably just really dumb I guess...

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
And, if this is a calculated blaze-of-glory ploy, why one extremely low-res image? It's trivial to take 2, or 10, which is how the ESRB leak went down.
According to the original 4chan post, the original leak on discord included a video. That's what the full roster image is stitched together from; notice the two vertical slices in the image. Now this could all be a lie on the 4chan poster's part, and there might not have been a discord leak at all.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Just throwing this out there, this could be the jeuxvideo trolls as well.

I'm staying undecided for the time being.
This is missing some characters from that leak IIRC (I know one was definitely Black Shadow).

Of course, in the event that you're right, they could have just decided to change the included characters.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I will say that Mach Rider could hypothetically be a Falcon Echo, but four newcomers is still a very large number and unless the last direct is 45+ Minutes I just don't know how they could feasibly cover it AND online, Spirits, any other features we haven't seen yet like Vault-related stuff, etc. It's a lot to ask when each character will probably take up 3 minutes. You're talking at least 15 minutes dedicated at BEST if you get 3 minutes per each 4 + 3 minutes for 3 echoes, and that's a very generous estimate time-wise.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
That is one fine remix we got

Lost Painting is my second favorite track from SOTN only beaten by Dracula's Castle

I remember not wanting to leave to the alchemy laboratory just to listen a bit longer to the Dracula's Castle soundtrack

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The best thing about this leak is that it can be 100% verified or disconfirmed, easily, when the next Smash announcement drops.

If one of these 5, or 7, characters are announced in the next announcement and are shown in that specific pose in the specific location photographed then the whole thing can be confirmed. If none of those characters are shown, it is immediately fake. If one of those characters are shown and the pose is completely different, it's fake.

Easy. Now it's just a waiting game. Hype responsibly.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The lack of a Pokemon rep AT all is what shocks me more than Verge being wrong about a certain fire cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom