• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
If this is real, then nobody's going to take Sakurai's 'curb your expectations' comments seriously ever again. Could lead to nasty situations where he's being serious (i.e. most of the time) and people get their hopes up too high. While this is definitely an impressive fake - if fake; great if it isn't - Sakurai was probably being completely genuine, not overly modest/taking us on a ruse cruise, when he said not to expect many newcomers.

Also, if all these characters are going to be in the base game, haven't they slightly limited their options for DLC? True, there are a whole load of third-party big hitters they could still include, but I was expecting at least one or two of the big fan requests to be saved for DLC.
DLC could be new games like Rex and Pyra, Spring Man, etc.

This roster is more or less the "Fan Killer".

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
What, wait, wait. How did 4Chan find the LinkedIn of the person who photographed the thing if it was a literal screen shot from a Snapchat sent to someone else. Did it show their snap name in one of the photos? If not then I think 4Chan might be bull****ting about finding his LinkedIn.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Apparently...

The LinkedIn page was only made a week ago?

There's also claims on reddit this was a commission piece.

Sources have supposedly been found for the Chorus Kid image.

Yeah, I'm calling this one dead. Good show, but 5 newcomers, lol, back to planet Earth everyone.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Also, if all these characters are going to be in the base game, haven't they slightly limited their options for DLC? True, there are a whole load of third-party big hitters they could still include, but I was expecting at least one or two of the big fan requests to be saved for DLC.
Frankly the only one on here than I think would be well-suited for DLC is Banjo. The rest are echoes, diehard favourites/niche, or kinda obscure.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Real or fake, this is much more fun than the usual box and vergeben "discussions"

Apparently the person that made that claim had no proof to show and eventually deleted his comments, though if someone did find the chorus kid images then ye, its dead.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
R.I.P Dixie. She wasn't unique enough to be a newcomer but was too unique to be an echo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Apparently...

Yeah, I'm calling this one dead. Good show, but 5 newcomers, lol, back to planet Earth everyone.
Any links to all of this?

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
Apparently...

Do we have a source on the Chorus Kid image?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
  • "…That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace from here on out."
    • ...to refer to "just kidding, we have 7 new fighters shoved into the last month."
  • Revealing 5 newcomers in the last Direct
    • ...when most Directs have revealed 1, and no Direct ever has revealed more than 2..
I mean, "don't expect newcomer trailers all the way up to release" doesn't contradict "here are the last characters all in one trailer". And a big push towards the end of the promo season makes sense considering they want to reveal everything before release.

Last edited:

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Apparently...

I stand firmly on the 'actually present this evidence' hill, so please actually present said evidence before declaring it dead.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
What, wait, wait. How did 4Chan find the LinkedIn of the person who photographed the thing if it was a literal screen shot from a Snapchat sent to someone else. Did it show their snap name in one of the photos? If not then I think 4Chan might be bull****ting about finding his LinkedIn.
People on 4chan can be tech savy. Had a friend post on there once and then other users started posting photos stored on his phone.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I love Isaac's pose. It's so creative. I feel like a fake leaker would just have him standing in a generic pose with his sword.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I've been comparing the official spot to the "break in the clouds" for a while now, and it honestly doesn't match up in the slightest. Maybe I'm completely blind, but it honestly looks like it could be either or, with how blurry it is. Either way, I'm moreso on team fake, mostly because this would suck if I just had the whole roster spoiled. That, and the fact that this implies 7-8 new characters, after Sakurai JUST said not to expect many characters, and that they front-loaded their reveals. The blur obviously doesn't help either.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
This universe requires:
  • "We've focused on making sure every fighter returns, so I hope you don't expect too many new fighters"
    • ...to refer to 16 new fighters.
  • "We have a few new fighters left, so stay tuned"
    • ...to refer to 9 new fighters.
  • "…That said, if you were thinking that we’d just be dropping a bunch of newcomer trailers all the way up until release, you’d be sorely mistaken. We may have gone a little bit overboard up until now, so we’re going to slow our pace from here on out."
    • ...to refer to "just kidding, we have 7 new fighters shoved into the last month."
  • Revealing 5 newcomers in the last Direct
    • ...when most Directs have revealed 1, and no Direct ever has revealed more than 2.
  • And as a less important bonus, it requires Verge to have been wrong all along.
All of this is bonkers and the stuff of silly playground rumors.
1. 5 of them are echoes, though, so it all depends on what he was referring too--too many was always subjective, and this is only slightly higher than I personally anticipated originally.
2. Again, few is subjective, and it probably would have been too revealing had he said "we have several left."
3. Slowing pace down does not give any indication to amount of characters to expect
4. The August Direct had 5 newcomers, unless you mean unique newcomers. But we also don't know how it will be handled, especially with the rumored "two" Directs.
5. Verge would have been mostly right--his track record means we can trust him, so I would lean towards this being false on that account. Not impossible, though.

I feel like some of your statements does make this unlikely, but not really "bonkers", as there are reasonable alternatives. I'm leaning fake, especially since this does sound like a lot in one month, but also mainly to account for my bias. That being said, I won't chuck it into the "unbelievable" bin unless there are good reasons to.

D

Deleted member

Well, regardless of weither this is real or not, at least it finally provided us with something intersting to talk about for once.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Apparently...

Those are all pretty good reasons why it could be fake. But the main one is because life just isn't that kind. :p

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
If this is real, then nobody's going to take Sakurai's 'curb your expectations' comments seriously ever again. Could lead to nasty situations where he's being serious (i.e. most of the time) and people get their hopes up too high. While this is definitely an impressive fake - if fake; great if it isn't - Sakurai was probably being completely genuine, not overly modest/taking us on a ruse cruise, when he said not to expect many newcomers.

There's still so many DLC options that they'll never be able to add them all. Dee, Gen 7/8 pokemon, steve, sora, master chief, skull kid, elma, paper mario, Lloyd, rex and pyra, rayman, captain toad, dixie, etc, etc. I don't really think that's the issue.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Apparently...

The reddit user who said it was commissioned was apparently trying to do the same thing on 4chan. When asked about this, he deleted his comment.

So he was more than likely just trying to pull a fast one.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
I've been comparing the official spot to the "break in the clouds" for a while now, and it honestly doesn't match up in the slightest. Maybe I'm completely blind, but it honestly looks like it could be either or, with how blurry it is. Either way, I'm moreso on team fake, mostly because this would suck if I just had the whole roster spoiled. That, and the fact that this implies 7-8 new characters, after Sakurai JUST said not to expect many characters, and that they front-loaded their reveals. The blur obviously doesn't help either.
The banner is slightly cut off in the "leak" picture, if you at pichu's thunder and both images and compare it with the break in the clouds it fits

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
DLC could be new games like Rex and Pyra, Spring Man, etc.

This roster is more or less the "Fan Killer".
True: Rex/Pyra etc. seem v likely for DLC. I was just thinking they'd balance fan favourites with relevancy picks and third-party bigshots.

Frankly the only one on here than I think would be well-suited for DLC is Banjo. The rest are echoes, diehard favourites/niche, or kinda obscure.
Big-name third-party picks are most likely for DLC as they generate more hype/sales, but I still think we could be getting some more obscure picks as they require less legal wrangling/costs (if they're first-party characters) or are easier to develop (if they're echoes).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So the graphic designer was tracked down because he left his name in the image.

Mod Edit: not sure we should share his IRL name on here without his consent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Apparently...

One guy on a Fireden thread claimed that the guy's LinkedIn page was a week old and claimed to use Wayback. I tried this, but no archives exist, and his LinkedIn account is on the Company LinkedIn page for Las Ateliers Mariana, meaning it can't be faked unless someone faked numerous LinkedIn accounts and a company page for a company that DOES exist -

http://www.ateliers-marina.fr/

The domain, fwiw, is 17+ years old.

Either i'm missing something or someone is engaging in disinfo.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
And looking at the 4chan thread, someone apparently listed all these characters back in September. Suggests Tabuu, Necrozma, Crazy Hand and Spirit Hand(?) are bosses.
Ray, Monster Hunter and Dixie were cut.

I'm highly skeptical whenever people mention cut characters, but given this was back in September, could it be the real leak that's supposedly out there. Is that still a thing?

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
So, I really want to be team real. But it looks too good to be true. Three top favorites: Isaac, Geno AND Banjo? That's absolutely impossible. A NES era character? Didn't expect that for Ultimate. And my fellow CHORUS KIDS? I thought they would never see the day.

So team real? No, but sceptical. However, this would make the number of new unique characters to a beautiful number of 10.

69: Isaac
70: Geno
71: Chorus Kids
72: Mach Rider
73: Banjo & Kazooie

Is this reality?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I love all these dead franchises and characters coming back from the ****ing grave with a vengeance, with K. Rool leading the charge. Too good to be true. Ties in with IP trademark renewals too.

Shroob

Sup?
Banjo and Kazooie started using their N64 designs for marketing just like Simon did in regards to his Conan-design.

Things are gettin' weird.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Banjo and Kazooie started using their N64 designs for marketing just like Simon did in regards to his Conan-design.

Things are gettin' weird.
It's not weird. Their 20th aniversary figure used their n64 design recently (Same pose as this leak as well)

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Further stuff -

-There is one person on Reddit, Earthboun41, claiming that this was a week-old deal. One of his reddit posts was apparently screencapped and posted on the primary /v/ thread, but the reddit post was self-deleted.

^This post was deleted upon people asking for proof. He posted a similar comment in the DDT, where I directly asked him, and he referenced this;

It took me forever to find this because it's on 4chan Fireden, but this comment does exist. However, it purports to use Wayback to show that the LinkedIn page is only a week old, but I cannot replicate this. I enter the linked webpge into Wayback and it provides no archives or dates. Additionally, the same profile (as noted prior) belongs to the company's larger LinkedIn, and the company definitely exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom