• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
:ultinkling: - Man, I LOVE Splatoon. I know the Inklings weren't a suprise by any means, but I was glad to see a new IP succeed and do better than many if the long-time franchises, especially during the Wii U era. Moveset looks interesting, and I'm definitely giving them a whirl.

:ultridley: - Same response as any other Ridley supporter who wanted him since Brawl. A dream come true.

:ultdaisy: - Criminally underappreciated. Find it a little hypocritical how people continue to belittle her for being "orange Peach" when Waluigi was solely created to be a "purple Wario" for Luigi. She definitely deserved to get in.

:ultsimon:/:ultrichter: - Kinda glad Verge leaked this character. I have little to no connection to Cadtlevania. Still, they look pretty cool. Better than some of the other third-parties we have.

:ultchrom: - Echo or not, I didn't like this reveal at all. A fourth Marth clone and the third Awakening character. I get that his supporters felt burned, but Chrom is an Echo who really shouldn't have been prioritized over other potential clones, especially when Lucina and Roy already exist.

:ultdarksamus: - Ehhh... A little neutral on this one. More Metroid reps are welcomed, but I don't think a Samus clone is a good representation of DS. Then again, she had virtually no chance if she wouldn't be an Echo.

:ultkrool: - supported him mainly because of his fanbase. I'm glad he's in though. Not my first choice for a DK rep, but I can't complain.

:ultisabelle: - the fanbase is responsible for their own disappointment. Whether or not she should be an Echo is up for debate, but you can't deny that she's become a bit of a mascot for the AC franchise. I thought she deserved to get in Smash, one way or another.

D

Deleted member

Mistook this to mean that Goku is also Canadian.

Kamehameha, eh
Someone who knows more about this, feel free to correct me, but I believe the first English dub of Dragon Ball (and Z) were dubbed by the Canadian based Ocean Group. Not sure if it's actually the first English dub.

Also happy 8,000 posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
How is tweeting about the event secretive? Sounds more like they had a private event and they don't want people streaming. Maybe I misunderstood something though.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Canadian characters? Perhaps Maximilian will get Wolverine after all. :troll:

EDIT: :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
How is tweeting about the event secretive? Sounds more like they had a private event and they don't want people streaming. Maybe I misunderstood something though.
I think they explicitly aren't allowed to stream anything, but of course the event itself isn't secret because it's basically a theme night at a bar.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Someone who knows more about this, feel free to correct me, but I believe the first English dub of Dragon Ball (and Z) were dubbed by the Canadian based Ocean Group.

Also happy 8,000 posts.
I don't know if they were first or if the blue water dub was first. But yes, Ocean dubbed DBZ before Funimation took over. Which is why, when I was watching as a kid, I was totally thrown off in the middle of the Frieza saga when Vegeta's balls suddenly dropped.

domriver

Smash Lord
So how excited was i for the newcomers and echos?
Inkling - ok
Daisy - meh
RIdley - Love it
Simon Belmont - cool
Ritcher Belmont - 2 castlevania characters? mehh ok..
Chrom - meh
Dark Samus - cool
King K Rool - Love it
Isabelle- mehhhhhh

EDIT 1: Forgot Daisy

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Love how people ignore Roy, and by extension Chrom, being Decloned and go on to complain that "There's 4 Marth's". Don't worry guys! Don't worry. There's 3 Fox's! 3 Link's! 3 Mario's!

The ****ing Fire Emblem hate is soooooo exhausting. To the point it's annoying.
It’s also gets tiring when half of the “Marths” are echoes to begin with while the others are their own separate slots.

If you have a problem with the “Marths”, merge Lucina and Chrom to leave you with just Marth and Roy. The option is there for a reason, and it helps that they aren’t being treated as entirely new characters anymore after Smash 4.

They’re bonuses for the fans that still want them.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It’s also gets tiring when half of the “Marths” are echoes to begin with while the others are their own separate slots.

If you have a problem with the “Marths”, merge Lucina and Chrom to leave you with just Marth and Roy. The option is there for a reason, and it helps that they aren’t really considered separate anymore.
Tier lists will almost certainly still separate them, though, due to their difference in tippers.

To my knowledge (I could be wrong), Chrom isn't getting Roy's weird hitboxes, and in that scenario, he'd end up being judged very differently by the community, much like Lucina and Marth. How their tippers work-- or don't-- fundamentally changes the character in terms of competitive play, even if everything else is the same.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Inkling - Kind of overshadowed by the reveal of the game itself. Logical character to introduce in a teaser given it was a guarantee.
Daisy - Surprised somewhat, but I like Daisy in spin-offs...I just never really wanted her in Smash. She's here now, so why not give her a whirl?
Ridley - This felt like closure from Brawl speculation. After two installments of too big, he wasn't too big for our hearts and desires.
Belmonts - Simon was leaked via music goof, so yeah....Richter caught me off guard and the music made it hype.
K. Rool - Oh ****! My most wanted, after years of "muh relevancy", is finally in! And he's exactly what people wanted (well counter instead of ground pound...)
Chrom - I started to rate his chances fairly highly after clones were given a term. Why not?
Dark Samus - As above, but still glad it made it in. Metroid getting some loooove.
Isabelle - Indifferent. I started to expect her, the amount she was made unique was the surprise. She's fine. Nothing against her.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Crunchii ( AKA the guy that posted the Menu Theme ) tweeted this and then quickly deleted it:

Any guesses as to what these numbers even mean?
Just buttdialed the internet.

You know what, no. Let's use up the next 20 pages trying to decipher it. This'll be fun.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Crunchii ( AKA the guy that posted the Menu Theme ) tweeted this and then quickly deleted it:

Any guesses as to what these numbers even mean?
[smashes keyboard randomly]
"Man, these people will take anything and speculate over it, won't they?"

D

Deleted member

I don't know if they were first or if the blue water dub was first. But yes, Ocean dubbed DBZ before Funimation took over. Which is why, when I was watching as a kid, I was totally thrown off in the middle of the Frieza saga when Vegeta's balls suddenly dropped.
Getting Ocean Vegeta to voice the clone Vegeta in Super was easily the best decision they made in the dub.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
How do you spell Canada?

You add a C, eh.
You add an N, eh.
You add a D, eh.

I'm not sorry.

Pretty sure Ken is an Ameri-ken btw.
So, to all Ridley and game play friendos.

Here is a question.

What are the ten most frequent moves you think Ridley mains will use?
Jab apparently comes out really fast and has good range.

Nair also covers a lot of air so it'll probably be a good frametrap move like Zard's Nair.

D-tilt looks like a solid ground move with good range and speed.

Side-B looks like an amazing kill move, carrying opponents towards the blast zone and being impossible to block. It also covers good distance, so bad players will likely spam it.

Up Smash seems like a solid kill move to kill airborne opponents with.

Uair looks like an amazing juggle move if it's disjointed like Charizard's wing attacks. Even if it's not though, it's still got range and power.

Up Tilt seems like another good anti-air and apparently combos into itself.

D-throw can apparently combo.

Bair seems really powerful. It'll probably be a great kill move and will hopefully be safe on shield.

Neutral-B will probably be a safe way to mess with opponents who try to recover low. Can also be used to force some opponents to approach.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Alrighty, I’ll do my current thoughts.

:ultinkling: They were gonna happen, I hate “locks” but they were the closest ones to be one alongside Mac in Smash 4, I wasn’t suprised by their inclusion but moreso the Smash Switch reveal itself, but they look fun to play and I can’t wait to splatter every character model with ink. 9/10

:ultdaisy: Meh, it’s fine having all the Mario princesses playable now but having her over Waluigi was still pretty baffling and it really fueled memoryman’s ego, that said. It’s cool she’s in at last. 5/10

:ultridley: ABOUT FREAKING TIME! I was so happy not only for his fans but for the arguments and memes to finally come to an end, I’m just Sakurai finally got the chance to make him work well. 9/10

:ultsimon: Thanks to our “friend” Verge, I wasn’t suprised by him either but it was cool seeing him in action and the loads of Castlevania content in Ultimate I’m looking forward to, despite not being a fan. 8/10

:ultrichter:Same as Simon, nothing different to say here other that he looks cool as well. (Plus another member to the Bandana Squad) 7/10

:ultchrom:As someone who’s sick of the FE overload, I wasn’t angry at all at his inclusion, in fact I was pretty happy he got his chance since I actually supported him during the Smash 4 days, he felt missing so kudos to him. 7/10

:ultdarksamus: Meh, not a Metroid fan but I’m happy for DS’s fans anyway so I hope they enjoy Dark, but I’m lying if I said I wasn’t fine with a alt/AT. 6/10

:ultkrool:YES YES YEEEES! I was insanely hyped for him and he’s my most anticipated one so far, I thought he could never happen, Sakurai seemed (and I tbh) to felt fine with just Donkey & Diddy till he proved us wrong by finally adding their own villain at last. He looks uber fun to play and I’ll enjoy him for sure! 10/10

:ultisabelle:Eh, I loathed the idea of her of all people getting in because she fitted the concept of an AT so perfectly with her being an assistant as well as a kind hearted pacifist, but I eventually warmed up to her and actually got pretty happy, not excited just mellow for her and her fans. Glad she isn’t an Echo either like everyone assumed her to be. Her trailer is still the worst one though because of how boring and bluntly obvious it was. 6/10

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Wolverine for the west, Goku for the east.

Let's goooooooooooooooo~

:4pacman:
Wolverine beats Goku on the sheer fact that Wolverine has a Healing Factor, heck THE healing factor. Literally nothing Goku could throw at him would take him down for good.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Getting Ocean Vegeta to voice the clone Vegeta in Super was easily the best decision they made in the dub.
I'm a huge fan of Brian Drummond. He voiced Zechs in Gundam Wing, too.

He was my childhood bad guy.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wolverine beats Goku on the sheer fact that Wolverine has a Healing Factor, heck THE healing factor. Literally nothing Goku could throw at him would take him down for good.
Except:
A. drowning
B. throwing him in space
C. probably being strong enough to ****ing obliterate his everything
D.

That thing.

D

Deleted member

Unless it’s Manga Goku sense IIRC, he can use Hakai, so he could just delete Wolverine from existence.

I have no stakes in this fight though. I only want Goku in so Crusade is real.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If we're going by arbitrary rules that it has to be Canadian related to be shown in Canada, then may I suggest this character:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Hello, meme police? I'd like to report a stolen joke... Thank you. /s
Oh dang I spent so long figuring out that Ridley portion of the post I didn't even get a chance to see yours. Talk about being :ultgreninja:'d.

*Raises Hands*. Take me away officers.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
We're doing Ult character reveal ratings huh?

:ultinkling: 4/10
Don't really care for em at all, but a new Smash being announced was interesting to say the least.

:ultdaisy: 5/10
I have no ill feelings towards her besides that one lame meme. Just hope her fans will mostly be satisfied that she's playable even if she's an echo.

:ultridley: 5/10
He was one of those characters who I wished never to be playable especially after constantly hearing about him on a near daily basis. However, my distaste towards him has lessened over time, and seeing his uniqueness and violent nature being shown in his moves does picture him well. I just hope he'll be balanced.

:ultsimon::ultrichter: 5/10
I have no connections to the Castlevania series, so I can't really be excited for them at all. It didn't help that ppl leaked the former either, but I will give their uniqueness credit. I used to be angry about them being here honestly, but I'm well past that. However, an advice that's simple; leakers can kill hype real easily. *looks back to Smash 4 times with was it Shulk, Ryu, and Roy?*

:ultchrom: 2/10
Sorry, but my anti-FE bias stands strong. Though my distaste for yet another sword character and FE are present, I would've accepted a character with a different weapon from FE for a change. At least his fans are happy... and though my sheer hatred is not as big as it once was, but I would be expected to be bitter regardless.
The one thing I will give him credit for is the echo status of Roy with a pseudo Ike move, showing us that Echoes can have moves from more than 1 character. That part peaked my interest, but that's it.

:ultdarksamus: 5/10
I don't really have any feelings for the character at all. My biggest worry about it (yes, DS is an it, not a she) is the Samus vs DS wars that are inevitable, arguing who's better and all. Many seem to favor DS already, so I'm hoping some will like Samus over DS to balance things out. Will need more data to see how I feel again.

:ultkrool: 8/10
To be clear, I wasn't an active supporter of the croc, nor did I get full hype about him when he was first shown, but looking back, moves from the DKC trilogy of old and them boxing gloves he had in 64, they surely made him look nice. I'm even considering trying him out as well just for childhood memories.

:ultisabelle: 6/10
Well, to clarify, the trailer itself was slow and not so hype though it fits the Animal Crossing pace, but you know, seeing her not being an echo at all did have me curious. That part alone does have me more curious about what classifies as an echo, and what future characters may be around. But anyways, I do welcome her with open arms.

I'd be open to do a rating again after the game's out for a while and we know what their move kit is and how balanced they are. I know what would get me excited though, and the 3 characters that I tend to talk about often may be there. A homecoming, a shocking choice, and simply hunting for answers is what I'm thinking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom