• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Is it just me, or have we got 50-60 more pages? I thought it was 20-30 pages per day... assuming I logged out at 9:40 PM in my timezone.
The main menu theme was released by someone who shouldn't necessarily have access to it. It wasn't a leak per se but it was still a surprise.

There is a rumor that one of the very recent image leaks is legit enough that Nintendo is feeling shaky about it.

There's some kind of closed event going on at a Quebec bar tomorrow. No word on if it's Smash but it is Nintendo-focused.

And then everyone got excited for their wants and faves and we all had a nice time yelling about our pipe dream characters and supporting each others' dreams.

---

If the bar event IS Smash-related, my friend had an idea. Ubisoft Montreal and Eidos Montreal are/were things, right? Points in Rayman or Lara Croft's favors?

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Not a fan of Incineroar tbh. Would much rather have Decidueye.

Also, just because I read a news article saying she couldn't be an Echo, I want Medusa as an Echo for Palutena even more now.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
How do you guys feel about the idea of Buzzwole, Tapu Koko and Tsareena as Pokeball Pokemon?
Wouldn't mind about the others, but I'd rather Buzzwole and the rest of the Ultra Beasts be stage hazards or enemies in Spirits as I feel it'd suit them better.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I think my biggest question that'll keep me up at night and have me question the universe is......

Why in god's name did the Super Happy Tree stage turn Spanish?

Like..... what even on the backend could cause that?
Do we know for sure it wasn't in Spanish before? This is a very specific thing that affects the US English site only and it's not like clicking the stages gave actual information about them to encourage people clicking them all, so I wouldn't be surprised if it just went unnoticed by most people until now.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
On one hand, the box theory being real would mean Incineroar and Ken are the final newcomers
On the other hand, it would deconfirm Steve
Always look on the briiiiight side of life
I unironically want Steve so I can see how salty people get over him, especially this one YouTuber that said he'd cancel his preorder if he's in.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
On one hand, the box theory being real would mean Incineroar and Ken are the final newcomers
Not much of an upside at all honestly. I wouldn't mind Steve.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
A Minecraft stage could be fine.

Steve as a fighter sounds bad, doh.
Indeed.

If Minecraft were to get any representation however, I think an assist trophy of Steve and or a Creeper would be fine, and it's actually something I'd welcome.

That feeling when Steve is among your most wanted characters...
Now that's a big oof right there.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'm down for Minecraft content but I'd not be keen on Steve. Not because Minecraft doesn't 'deserve' a playable fighter but because Steve looks like someone vomited on a Lego man. The environments in Minecraft can look quite pretty but the characters don't, especially when their textures are all up close.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Steve has prospects that allow him to be a better representation of the game than just a stage imho. You can't really represent the building and gameplay of Minecraft with just a blocky stage, even if it's a breakable, randomized or travelling stage.

I just don't know why any time anyone brings up that they'd want him we need 5+ people saying how they'd prefer a stage. It's somewhat repetitive and doesn't feel all that constructive after a while. Even if you don't agree with the character, I just don't see the point instead of just changing the subject.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
A Minecraft stage could be fine.
ow that's a big oof right there.
Steve as a fighter sounds bad, doh.
Why? He represents one of the the biggest games of the modern era. Not to mention, Minecraft is huge worldwide, even in Japan. It's the second best selling game of all time, only behind Tetris. If we are talking western third parties, he should be first in line
Sure, it's fanbase may be garbage, but if you ask me, I think Minecraft deserves a character. It's gotten big enough to actually warrant it.
(And if you don't want him just because of Banjo, either way, both will probably be getting in eventually...)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why? He represents one of the the biggest games of the modern era. Not to mention, Minecraft is huge worldwide, even in Japan. It's the second best selling game of all time, only behind Tetris. If we are talking western third parties, he should be first in line
Sure, it's fanbase may be garbage, but if you ask me, I think Minecraft deserves a character. It's gotten big enough to actually warrant it.
(And if you don't want him just because of Banjo, either way, both will probably be getting in eventually...)
A stage could represent better the creativity that makes Minecraft popular.

Also, he looks awkward to animate, due to his design.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Oh, sorry.

I wasn't trying to say that Minecraft representation was a bad thing... I should have put that a bit better.

D

Deleted member

Oh, sorry.

I wasn't trying to say that Minecraft representation was a bad thing... I should have put that a bit better.
Minecraft representation is good.

But i find a stage and assist trophies as a better way to do so.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Having 'just' a stage in Smash is not some runner-up consolation prize: it's still a big deal. I think the debate surrounding a playable Steve is because of the perception that having a fighter in Smash is the be-all and end-all. It isn't - Smash is so, so much more than just its roster.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
You see, if we get Steve, Banjo and Kazooie as DLC is basically a given, so it's a win-win for a lot of fans however way you slice it.
But what if Banjo is an assist trophy?
I mean to me that still doesn’t kill his chances, but to a lot of people it would.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
A stage could represent better the creativity that makes Minecraft popular.
Are you actually kidding me?
The standard worlds in Minecraft are pretty boring, but when you, as a player, starts placing blocks and crafting items, that's when the creativity shines.
So if you ask me, I think a Character makes a ton of sense...
Also, he looks awkward to animate, due to his design.
Stop making dumb excuses...
If anyone can make his weird animations work, it's Sakurai...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Having 'just' a stage in Smash is not some runner-up consolation prize: it's still a big deal. I think the debate surrounding a playable Steve is because of the perception that having a fighter in Smash is the be-all and end-all. It isn't - Smash is so, so much more than just its roster.
I agree.

Minecraft is for me a case similar to Super Mario Maker: the best part of the game can be done better as a stage or assist trophies that affect the fighting zone.

The standard worlds in Minecraft are pretty boring, but when you, as a player, starts placing blocks and crafting items, that's when the creativity shines.
Steve can be used as a stage hazard that modifies the stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I don't know about you, but i feel like Fourside is the worst Mother stage in Smash, in regards to the representation of the source material.

It is playable and fun, don't get me wrong, but it differs a lot from the actual Fourside in Mother 2.

And even if we take the Smash version as Moonside, it still lacks the neon elements that represents it.

At least in Ultimate the Monotoly helicopter is more similar to the one in the original game.
Fourside is one of my favorite stages period, but yeah, it’s super inaccurate to how it is in EarthBound. There is the nice touch where the UFO plays the sound from the “War Against Giygas” screen, but UFOs never appeared in Fourside anyway.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
But what if Banjo is an assist trophy?
I mean to me that still doesn’t kill his chances, but to a lot of people it would.
Then we must get Kazooie by herself.

Jk.

Honestly, I think they would for sure be a DLC fighter since they would sell really well for sure and then you've gotta remember that they have the ballot votes to support them.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I mean some of the biomes, and randomly generated structures, are pretty cool by themselves.

Stop making dumb excuses...
If anyone can make his weird animations work, it's Sakurai...
Hmm, I have to admit, he isn't the most aesthetically pleasing character out there.
But I bet Sakurai may be able to make him work, somehow...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
With all the chaos I didn't get to really talk about this too much, but I realized something awesome with the "leak" from the guy with Resetera.

If he's telling the truth, which he has been credible in the past due to leaking Cloud, and it is indeed an image leak, then we have a situation where Vergeben, the box and him can't all be right. This is mostly because there haven't been any image leaks of Incineroar and he confirmed it wasn't Ken.

Honestly that was the most exciting thing of yesterday for me. I feel like Smash speculation has been stuck in a pattern of expecting Ken and Incineroar and hoping for Geno at best, but this situation blows that open for more possibilities.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
By the way, when is the bar event supposed to happen? I thought it was today, but I still see people saying tomorrow... I'm from Europe so there are time zone differences and I'm currently confused.

With all the chaos I didn't get to really talk about this too much, but I realized something awesome with the "leak" from the guy with Resetera.

If he's telling the truth, which he has been credible in the past due to leaking Cloud, and it is indeed an image leak, then we have a situation where Vergeben, the box and him can't all be right. This is mostly because there haven't been any image leaks of Incineroar and he confirmed it wasn't Ken.

Honestly that was the most exciting thing of yesterday for me. I feel like Smash speculation has been stuck in a pattern of expecting Ken and Incineroar and hoping for Geno at best, but this situation blows that open for more possibilities.
Unless the true leak IS the box and the fact that people assumed the number of newcomers from it :mad088::troll:

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace

Was that Geno leak a couple days ago fake? Did the guy come out and say how he did it? Cause if not, I’m banking on that one being the real leak.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman

That one image leak of the sassy Geno tilting his head and looking away hasn't really been debunked. The only thing working against it is that it was posted in the same thread as that godawful Banjo-Dixie picture (where banjo's fingers are super long and ugly), so people think it's the same leaker.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
By the way, when is the bar event supposed to happen? I thought it was today, but I still see people saying tomorrow... I'm from Europe so there are time zone differences and I'm currently confused.
I'm pretty sure it's today...
(I'm from North America, so...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom