• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I actually just want a Touhou character, but the chances are less than almost every other pipe dream here
My pipe dream is a Godzilla stage, the Fantastic Four and Crash Bandicoot as fighters and a Music Meister Mii costume.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
It's like a needle in a haystack.

Two sides seem to have formed, one side thinking it's the Geno image with his head tilted slightly back, while the other think it's the Banjo render from 4chan ages ago.
Can someone remind me why so many seem to be dismissing the Dante picture as a possible contender for which one is real? I know it's a pretty odd character choice, especially for the base game, but between the fact that the leaker who was right about so many aspects of the new Devil May Cry also said that Dante was coming to Smash Bros. and the way that the Dante image looks more like a real leak (as in a decent quality, albeit not incredibly high definition, photo of gameplay) than the vast majority of other "leaked" images out there, it certainly seems to be a frontrunner as far as I can tell.

D

Deleted member

I actually just want a Touhou character, but the chances are less than almost every other pipe dream here
If you want me to be brutally honest, the entire series has an entire 22-year long legacy, frequently mentioned indie series like Undertale and Shantae would wish to have. Minecraft at this point isn't really an indie game anymore, with Microsoft putting in heavy money on the franchise, so the next biggest indie series left is Touhou. If we got Shovel Knight as an assist (which I guarantee you was only included by the American fanbase), Touhou at this point is on it's way in some shape or form.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

If you want me to be brutally honest, the entire series has an entire 22-year long legacy, frequently mentioned indie series like Undertale and Shantae would wish to have. Minecraft at this point isn't really an indie game anymore, with Microsoft putting in heavy money on the franchise, so the next biggest indie series left is Touhou. If we got Shovel Knight as an assist, Touhou at this point is on it's way in some shape or form.
That would be cool.

Shroob

Sup?
Can someone remind me why so many seem to be dismissing the Dante picture as a possible contender for which one is real? I know it's a pretty odd character choice, especially for the base game, but between the fact that the leaker who was right about so many aspects of the new Devil May Cry also said that Dante was coming to Smash Bros. and the way that the Dante image looks more like a real leak (as in a decent quality, albeit not incredibly high definition, photo of gameplay) than the vast majority of other "leaked" images out there, it certainly seems to be a frontrunner as far as I can tell.
I 'think' someone was able to source the image to a video game session Max of YoVideogames fame had?

Don't quote me on it.

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
They found the source yesterday, it's from a Smash 4 mods gameplay session of Max Dood

Shroob

Sup?
The funniest thing though...

If no one would have found that Dante image, Dante would have fit perfectly with the "Ruffled Feathers" line.

Everyone assumes it's Banjo and Kazooie due to it, but when I first mentioned Dante in regards to Smash to a couple of my friends who all know waaaaaaaaaay more about DMC than me, they all linked me to the same video.

Of Dante telling a big bird to... "Flock off, featherface".

osby

Smash Obsessed
Even though I like Dante, I don't know if I'd like him in Smash. Though it will be interesting seeing him and Bayonetta in the same game and comparing the reactions they got.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I doubt the feather remark is an indication of anything considering the dude doesn't even know which leak is supposed to be real, it's just a figure of speech.

Cristaran

Smash Journeyman
If you want me to be brutally honest, the entire series has an entire 22-year long legacy, frequently mentioned indie series like Undertale and Shantae would wish to have. Minecraft at this point isn't really an indie game anymore, with Microsoft putting in heavy money on the franchise, so the next biggest indie series left is Touhou. If we got Shovel Knight as an assist (which I guarantee you was only included by the American fanbase), Touhou at this point is on it's way in some shape or form.
Well, that gives me hope, thank you for that

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
It's like a needle in a haystack.

Two sides seem to have formed, one side thinking it's the Geno image with his head tilted slightly back, while the other think it's the Banjo render from 4chan ages ago.
Interesting. Assuming it's that zoomed-in fairly high quality Banjo render, right? Only other one that comes to mind is the godawful one with Dixie.

As for Geno, the generic blue background still looks suspicious, though there are several possible explanations and I'm sure its been discussed to death.

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace
Its a smash 4 mod

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Why are people dismissing Dante from being in the Nintendo All-Star game? That's a tough one, I'm gonna have to get back to you.

On the subject of stuff that's actually in the game, let's talk about something that is 100% likely to be in the last Direct: Home Run Contest!

It is a signature mode that has been non-trivially expanded in each Smash title. What will be new about Home Run Contest in Ultimate?

D

Deleted member

Why are people dismissing Dante from being in the Nintendo All-Star game? That's a tough one, I'm gonna have to get back to you.

On the subject of stuff that's actually in the game, let's talk about something that is 100% likely to be in the last Direct: Home Run Contest!

It is a signature mode that has been non-trivially expanded in each Smash title. What will be new about Home Run Contest in Ultimate?
I think that there won't be huge differences, besides visual stuff.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I'm more interested in Target Test. Will they use a format that isn't Angry Birds this time?

Maybe so, but does Sakurai even know that most of its entries are only on PC? As far as I know, Japan isn't known for its PC playerbase.

D

Deleted member

I'm more interested in Target Test. Will they use a format that isn't Angry Birds this time?

Maybe so, but does Sakurai even know that most of its entries are only on PC? As far as I know, Japan isn't known for its PC playerbase.
I hate the Angry Birds format.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think people dismiss Dante because he breaks one of the few rules, realistic firearms. Ebony and Ivory may be specially crafted demon hunting weapons but they still look like typical handguns you can buy in any store in that one strange country that clings to colonial era laws. If Snake can't have his tranq gun, I don't think they'll bend the rules for Dante.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I think that there won't be huge differences, besides visual stuff.
Brawl was a big step forward visually, added the forcefield, background music, dedicated bat swing animations, and co-op.

Smash 4 added a fast-forward feature, an alternating multiplayer mode, an online leaderboard/scoring system, and disabled all sources of randomness from movesets. It also added an entire sister mode, Target Blast.

Ultimate might not shake things up much, but it has been historically an area of significant focus. Home Run Bat is suspiciously missing from the E3 build (the only evergreen item that is absent), so it or its animations were probably under the knife.

D

Deleted member

Brawl was a big step forward visually, added the forcefield, background music, dedicated bat swing animations, and co-op.

Smash 4 added a fast-forward feature, an alternating multiplayer mode, an online leaderboard/scoring system, and disabled all sources of randomness from movesets. It also added an entire sister mode, Target Blast.

Ultimate might not shake things up much, but it has been historically an area of significant focus. Home Run Bat is suspiciously missing from the E3 build (the only evergreen item that is absent), so it or its animations were probably under the knife.
I still don't expect much added.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It sounds ridiculous sometimes to even consider Touhou being in Smash but I can't deny I'd kinda love a rep. The music alone would make it worth it.

I just dare not dream. Even if some Touhou spinoff games are on Switch, if we are getting any indie reps it's probably more likely to be Quote and Curly.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Sandbag now does the Howie scream when you launch it. I dunno, something like ULTIMATE Frisbee would be pretty fun.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I think people dismiss Dante because he breaks one of the few rules, realistic firearms. Ebony and Ivory may be specially crafted demon hunting weapons but they still look like typical handguns you can buy in any store in that one strange country that clings to colonial era laws. If Snake can't have his tranq gun, I don't think they'll bend the rules for Dante.
Love Is Blue kinda come off as real guns minus the color scheme to be honest. Though Ebony & Ivory are obviously leaning a bit more towards the realistic side. The DmC reboot guns kinda look less realistic due to the handles so maybe classic Dante with DmC Ebony & Ivory as a nod to that game perhaps?

The biggest reason people dismiss Dante is because of the fact that Devil May Cry has yet to make an actual appearance on a Nintendo console. Project X Zone doesn't seem to be enough.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
What I would give to have a character like Elma or Shadow be confirmed and throw speculation for a loop.
You and me both brother.
You're absolutely right. I'm just indirectly airing my grievances at Daisy being a Peach clone. I've never liked Peach. I've always wanted Daisy. At this rate, I feel like I won't end up maining her at all; meanwhile, the protagonist of my least favorite Fire Emblem is actually really fun and feels natural to use with significantly less effort.

I'm really rusty with Smash 4, and it shows, but I'm picking up Corrin with surprising ease. And I don't like it.
Yeah I feel the same way. I utterly despise Fates and Corrin’s Counter has killed me on so many occasions, but she is surprisingly fun to play as. I dunno man, it’s best to just let yourself enjoy what you want.
...I dunno what would he do now?
Obviously he’d pay his taxes.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Remember guys, all opinions are valid.

As long as they're mine.

:4pacman:

In all seriousness, let's just move on. This debate is pointless: Just let people think what they wanna think and move on.

So, to start a new topic, what indie character would you personally choose for Smash, either as an AT or a playable fighter? Nintendo appearances don't matter, just have fun with it. :p

For me, I would LOVE to see Niko from Oneshot as an AT. It could be similar to the old Nightmare trophy where the screen goes completely dark, except Niko wanders around with the sun (for those who don't know the game, it's a lightbulb) and illuminates the area he walks around, forcing close quarter fights.
Madelyn or Maldita Castilla's Don Ramiro as an AT, if only so people would be completely baffled at an Arthur imitation running around throwing weapons. ;)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

NINTENDO ALL STARS
:ultbayonetta::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ulticeclimbers::ultlucas::ultike::ultfox::ultkrool::ultmegaman::ultness::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultroy::ultryu::ultsheik::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultwolf:
This is me being conservative too

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I’m still keeping my expectations grounded, but Nintendo has to play their cards wisely for the next 51 days. They’ve made it this far without much getting out, don’t screw up now guys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom