• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Speaking of the possibility of an announcement for a Direct next week, are there any Smash Bros events, or events that may include Smash Bros this weekend that may have an announcement for the Direct?
Unfortunately with NYCC and Big House this past weekend that was the time for announcments. The next thing I think we can expect from are those Japanese tourney's (11/3 & sometime later in mid November).

I could see there being an announcement at one of those but I think that's kind of late for a final direct...the first full week of November is the latest I expect the final Smash direct.
Music theory is dead, Box theory was DOA (imho) but could potentially come back from the grave as a zombie, Blog theory is on life support, and it looks like Playlist theory is on its way out.

Who would have thought so many scientifically rigorous theories with a convergence of high quality evidence and data would be completely demolished.

It's almost as if they're just hunches pulled out of our ***** in the absence of actual information.

(not judging, I take part in the fun as well)
Just asking, why do you think box theory is dead? If it's just you don't believe it that's fine and we can leave it at that. No need to rehash lol.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Eh, We kind of already have four of those if we count Pichu and Squirtle
We were talking about starters from the series in general.

All fire starters seem to align with the Chinses Zodiac given few that you have to squint at.

Foxes ARE related to Dogs

Cydiqual is a mouse (its called the fire mouse pokemon) even though it turns into a badger.

Last edited:

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately with NYCC and Big House this past weekend that was the time for announcments. The next thing I think we can expect from are those Japanese tourney's (11/3 & sometime later in mid November).

I could see there being an announcement at one of those but I think that's kind of late for a final direct...the first full week of November is the latest I expect the final Smash direct.
I would find it very strange if Nintendo waited for November to present the final direct. They are marketing the **** out of PKLGP & E and my assumption would be that they would not like to take the spotlight from PKLGP & E in November, not even for Smash.

I really think we are having the last direct this month to leave November for PK, but who knows, i find it dumb to have two of their biggest fall releases so close from each other (3 weeks!?).

There are definitely going to be individuals (like me) just skipping PK for Smash.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Can't wait for the Beach Episode costume pack.
That pack would also inevitably come with a new Fire Emblem character! :troll:

But seriously, the one trend we've seen with the non-echo newcomers we've got so far is that they've always been major crowd-pleasers, with even Echo Fighters like :ultdarksamus: and:ultchrom: being specifically in due to fan demand (:ultdaisy: probably also got in due to fan demand). With Sakurai hoping we wouldn't be expecting too many newcomers for this game, it makes sense he'd prioritise fanservice characters (of the literal variety) which is why we haven't seen a newcomer curveball in the vein of :icsmelee::zerosuitsamus::4wiifit:. A Pokemon newcomer may be the arguable exception as none of the Gen 7 Pokemon could have been outright known with certainty to be crowd-pleasers in December 2015 (Simon Belmont may not have been a ballot choice, but Sakurai didn't need the ballot to know a character like him would resonate with a lot of people within this fanbase), but then, given that Pokemon was made an exception for the Smash 4 project plan in terms of timing, Pokemon in general is treated very differently from other franchises (and really, Pokemon itself is a huge crowd-pleaser). The nature of Ultimate itself doesn't seem to lend itself to the idea of more low-key hype unique newcomers unlike with previous games.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Blog theory sounds like a mathematical nonsense but that's just me.
That's because the Reddit post/Gamexplain and RelaxAlax's videos made them way more complicated than the actual assumptions were. It was always a *maximum* count based on *averages*, and as I've said the way they treated it was like rather than doing a back-of-the-envelope calculation, they used a supercomputer to analyze it instead. Of course, the blog is now slowing down, so it's assumptions, however simple they were, were probably wrong, and I have to be intellectually honest and admit that.

Just asking, why do you think box theory is dead? If it's just you don't believe it that's fine and we can leave it at that. No need to rehash lol.
Box theory was always the one that required the greatest amount of assumptions to be believable. Of course, it's subjective what assumptions we consider to be simpler (an epistemological issue). But in my mind, for it to be true (and I'm referring to hard box theory) not only would we have to grant placeholder art could give us any indication (as they can change before the finalized design for numerous reasons), it assumes they either mistakenly or intentionally left the box susceptible to reveal non trivial info about the final roster, it also assumes that every base character would be on the box (could just be all of the characters announced prior to it's finalized design/back of the box), and it implicitly assumes, given Verge's connection to the box, that the SE character is DLC. And that's not to mention the aesthetic issues with that awful pattern. But the reason I consider it possible to come back as a zombie is its the only theory to not have been directly shown to be false. Also, it's all in good fun. :upsidedown:

~"One of these things is not like the others."~
You're right, box theory probably shouldn't be there because it's too speculative to be even considered a theory.

:p

(I kid, for fun)

D

Deleted member

As for stopping... We clearly need to go further.
You’re going to love this, trust me. What you’re seeing now is a normal post.
*sans*
This is a Sans ****post.
*death*
And this is a Sans ****post that has ascended past a Sans ****post. Or you can just call this a Sans ****post 2.

And THIS IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Oh well, I did some research and apparently I should have left the dark eye... I know very little of Undertale, my bad.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Its fine you did great :)
Get this wholesome content out of my speculative theory echochamber.

You’re going to love this, trust me. What you’re seeing now is a normal post.
*sans*
This is a Sans ****post.
*death*
And this is a Sans ****post that has ascended past a Sans ****post. Or you can just call this a Sans ****post 2.

And THIS IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND.
goku yelling for 5 minutes to the tune of megalovania

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I think the most frustrating thing is that it's literally just two things, that I'd like that are plausible. If they were just confirmed, I wouldn't be on the edge of my seat and able to relax, but they aren't yet, so here I am.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm going to go crazy if there isn't news soon. Smash 4 was more tolerable because we got new content daily with pic of the day, but with nothing new on the blog it starts to feel like a drought much faster. And since I've been expecting a direct because of the new tag getting taken down and the playlist getting updated it'll be especially bad if nothing happens.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Are we still talking about a direct this week? Hmm, I think not! Who wants to bet against me? :) I say no direct, and no announcements today of anything significant! Fight me!

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm going to go crazy if there isn't news soon. Smash 4 was more tolerable because we got new content daily with pic of the day, but with nothing new on the blog it starts to feel like a drought much faster. And since I've been expecting a direct because of the new tag getting taken down and the playlist getting updated it'll be especially bad if nothing happens.
Okay, but we also get music every week and only had to wait 6 months as opposed to a year and a half.

Seriously, y'all need patience.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Are we still talking about a direct this week? Hmm, I think not! Who wants to bet against me? :) I say no direct, and no announcements today of anything significant! Fight me!
Sure, I say we'll get at least an announcement until the end of Sunday.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
This week is ****ed for news

Why do they do this to us :(

inb4 December 6th direct

Also lmao the Korean bot invasion

D

Deleted member

They announced that music theory died today (Japan time) so you’ve already lost.

:4pacman:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm... very sorry for this... I couldn't resist...
sans2.png

Improved version I guess... lol
Sans confirmed.
(this is a leak, I can confirm this, I work at Nintendo)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's going to be OK.

You're going to make it. Take a deep breath, get off the computer, and go do something nice.

Pakky

Smash Hero
SHADOW VS SNAKE!

Hahaha I'm not Sorry...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom