• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Well, gameplay wise sure.

That makes sense, but for the actual CG bit? Nah.
Eh, I didn't think the CG for Villager was very exciting besides the fact that it was the first AC rep (and the opening of the Smash 4 reveal trailer).
Villager checks an envelope, finds out he's in Smash, drops it, and runs. Riveting.
I guess you could also mention his splash screen reveal, but...
Villager catches Mario in a net.
Riveting.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Pretty cool to see some Ridley vs Charizard :)
When I run into Ridley players online, I'll just go solo-Charizard against them. I'll call it my Dragon Bro-Code.

Well, unless there's a ranked mode. Then I won't be holding anything back.
Ah...what a beautiful outcome. ;')
View attachment 168892
I need to do more with those two in the future. :> (Also, the battle would be even more hilarious with these alternate colors on both).
Okay you've convinced me. Originally I was planning on using Meta Ridley as my go-to alt but now I have to use orange Riddles.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I lowkey kinda don't want an announcement later today. If there is, then that means there's a direct on Wednesday, and if they hold it at 6pm EST like the last Nintendo direct, I'm not going to be able to watch it until I get back from work. That's gonna drive me nuts. Please any other day of the week but Wednesday.

Kawaki&Boruto98

Smash Apprentice
I'm very embarrassed to say I don't even have a Switch to use right now, so assuming I get Smash before the Switch, I'll be stuck playing nothing until maybe Christmas. At that point, I guess I would just take some photos, because why not?
why not buy the switch now?

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
I’ll never understand why people defend Isabelle’s trailer.
“B-but it’s AC! It’s supposed to be peaceful.”

Yeah, and guess what? It’s also Smash, which gives us newcomers and therefore makes their reveals interesting to watch and you know who else is from Animal Crossing and had an exciting reveal?

:ultvillager:
Villager and Rosalina had the advantage of being the characters that introduced the style of Smash reveal trailers we would be getting from there on out. Neither made it obvious in the beginning that the trailer was for Smash, and that gave them a surprise factor. Now we basically know from the first frame if a character is being announced.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495

I never realized it, but the Golden Ridley actually does resemble Charizard with it's blue wings, and Golden/bright color.
I've witnessed an intense argument over whether that alt is meant to resemble Charizard or not.
It was very entertaining.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright time for some dumb, late night headcannons about my mains.

:4charizard: sees :ultridley: as a rival, but Riddles just sees Charizard as a big doofus.
:squirtle: wants to be like :ultbowser:. Bowser tries to act tough, but secretly loves the attention.
:ivysaur:...I don't actually have any for Ivy. I better make one up. Uh....she likes to hang out with the Pikmin or something, I dunno.

I've witnessed an intense argument over whether that alt is meant to resemble Charizard or not.
It was very entertaining.

Yeah pretty sure that's just a coincidence, but an entertaining one none the less. The blue wings probably have to do with orange and blue being complementary colors.
One is an irredeemably sadistic, psychopathic murderous winged reptile.... and the other is Ridley :yoshi:
You take that back, Charizard is a good, precious boi.
Just look at my sig for proof.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’ll never understand why people defend Isabelle’s trailer.
“B-but it’s AC! It’s supposed to be peaceful.”

Yeah, and guess what? It’s also Smash, which gives us newcomers and therefore makes their reveals interesting to watch and you know who else is from Animal Crossing and had an exciting reveal?

:ultvillager:
The problem is exactly that. You can't recreate lightning in a bottle twice and try to portray any other Animal Crossing character that would be added after Villager to be just as menacing. And they had to get the message across for Animal Crossing 2019, so I don't see the problem with Isabelle's trailer at all. I can easily think of a few trailers that are worse than her's.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495

:4charizard: sees :ultridley: as a rival, but Riddles just sees Charizard as a big doofus.
:squirtle: wants to be like :ultbowser:. Bowser tries to act tough, but secretly loves the attention.
:ivysaur:...I don't actually have any for Ivy. I better make one up. Uh....she likes to hang out with the Pikmin or something, I dunno.

Yeah pretty sure that's just a coincidence, but an entertaining one none the less. The blue wings probably have to do with orange and blue being complementary colors.

Funnily enough, one of the two-person minority saying it wasn't Charizard said it was based on that statue. That was heavily rejected by everyone else.
Also, I guess I'll think about headcanons for my mains...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Funnily enough, one of the two-person minority saying it wasn't Charizard said it was based on that statue. That was heavily rejected by everyone else.

You know we have a thread for that which you should visit.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
People say the same about MY boi...
Do you believe it?

Well sharing terrifying images like that certainly doesn't help. I'd almost think you want people to be scared of him.

Anyway, this terrifying Yoshi picture calls for a cute Zard image in return.

Wow really? I thought that it being a Charizard reference would be the unpopular opinion. It seems like too much of a stretch to think they'd make an alt skin in reference to a meme like that. And before people say "Ridley hits it big time", I believe that was the Treehouse's doing (bless their hearts).

And I say this as a guy who loves Riddlezard memes.
You know we have a thread for that which you should visit.
What, and leave the comfort of the general discussion thread?

...Fine.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Well sharing terrifying images like that certainly doesn't help. I'd almost think you want people to be scared of him.

Anyway, this terrifying Yoshi picture calls for a cute Zard image in return.

Wow really? I thought that it being a Charizard reference would be the unpopular opinion. It seems like too much of a stretch to think they'd make an alt skin in reference to a meme like that. And before people say "Ridley hits it big time", I believe that was the Treehouse's doing (bless their hearts).

And I say this as a guy who loves Riddlezard memes.
What, and leave the comfort of the general discussion thread?

...Fine.
I think the argument also included someone mentioning Charizard's purple alt and calling it a Ridley reference.
Hm.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think the argument also included someone mentioning Charizard's purple alt and calling it a Ridley reference.
Hm.
Nope, pretty sure it's a reference to classic Shinyzard without actually being shinyzard (since TPC apparently has a problem with that or something).

D

Deleted member

My boi's headcannon is pretty easy to form anyways. He's literally friends with every character, even the vilains. But they also walk on egg shells around him knowing that THIS might happen:

God, Mario Power Tennis was so ****ing fire. I hear that with the updates and them bringing back Petey Piranha, Mario Tennis Aces is a return to form, so I can't wait to see what Aces has in store when I get it.

NineS

Smash Lord

Here's my poor attempt at making that whole 'Twili-themed' Palette Swap for Skull Kid with my novice-level photoshopping.
Went regular Twili instead of Twili beast.

EDIT: Aaaand I just realized this is the wrong thread. That's embarrassing. Really wished there was a delete button somewhere...

Last edited:

Arcad5

Smash Cadet

Here's my poor attempt at making that whole 'Twili-themed' Palette Swap for Skull Kid with my novice-level photoshopping.

EDIT: Aaaand I just realized this is the wrong thread. That's embarrassing. Really wished there was a delete button somewhere...
Still super cool looking, I'm a fan.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's not that bad off a goof up, this is the general thread after all. And I think it looks pretty nice.

Of course, it is a bit weird seeing a monochrome version of the usually psychedelic mask. I'd recommend maybe throwing in some orange on it, like the color of Midna's hair.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I lowkey kinda don't want an announcement later today. If there is, then that means there's a direct on Wednesday, and if they hold it at 6pm EST like the last Nintendo direct, I'm not going to be able to watch it until I get back from work. That's gonna drive me nuts. Please any other day of the week but Wednesday.
How much notice do they normally give for directs? At this rate, feels like it could be Thursday instead (if at all).

Also RE: the general discussion surrounding Isabelle, I agree that the trailer was disappointing. Not because of Isabelle herself, but because there was no crossover element. Why not have a postman from another Nintendo series deliver the invite instead? It was already clear early on what the trailer was building to, so this wouldn't have spoiled the reveal.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
How much notice do they normally give for directs? At this rate, feels like it could be Thursday instead (if at all).

Also RE: the general discussion surrounding Isabelle, I agree that the trailer was disappointing. Not because of Isabelle herself, but because there was no crossover element. Why not have a postman from another Nintendo series deliver the invite instead? It was already clear early on what the trailer was building to, so this wouldn't have spoiled the reveal.
Its gonna be thursday (friday morning in japan)

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Announcement to all three Rhythm Heaven supporters out there, our weekly prayer circle for any sort of Smash content shall now commence.
0F1FC486-4A24-4E88-9345-E20532CC7F79.jpeg

D

Deleted member

Wait did something just get announced while I was away?
EDIT: Nevermind. False alarm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a new tier list, the "How difficult are they to work with?" list.

Easy

Capcom: Not many studios would let you kill off one of their characters to advertise yours.
Konami: Seems they're in redemption mode from being absent last time
Namco: On everything but Pac-Man alts
Sega: If only they would let Sonic have better alts and another remix
Square Enix: Bare Minimum and nothing else.

Difficult

What's your list?

Ring-a-Sheep

Smash Ace

Easy

Capcom: Not many studios would let you kill off one of their characters to advertise yours.

Difficult

What's your list?
Easy

Capcom: considering all the crossovers they do i would be surprised if they weren't easy to work with
Namco: They have a hand in developing ultimate so i'd assume they aren't being too difficult to work with at least behind the scenes
Konami: They freed Snake from pachinko hell, so thats a start
Sega: i wouldn't say difficult per se but i wouldn't be surprised if they weren't pushing for new reps
Square Enix: Its Square Enix ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Difficult

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

I love it, absolutely fantastic!! Skull Kid looks good in a lot of colours

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Easy

Difficult

What's your list?
Capcom: Mister Crossover, lend their IP for all and nothing, ****ing Ryu is officially in a family Guy game
Namco: Depends who you talk to. Harada is chill and could lend you any Tekken Characters for Smash without thinking. They seems to also give their Items and arcade reference easily.
Konami : Once the ****ers were as salty as Square-Enix. But they seems to go in a redemption arc right now, ready to lend MGS stuff, remix and they probably said to Sakurai "Castlevania? Go ahead, take everything, music? Make your own OST ful of it"
Sega: The weird Sonic representation is probably more Sega's out of touch fault than Sakurai. They don't understand how to wield the Sonic brand anyway so idk
Square-Enix: in all fairness. Working with Square-Enix ain't that hard. It all goes down to "Give me the money, but you also need to pay this guy, this guy and this guy also this guy."
Tl;Dr they can't ****ing licence their stuff for **** and get themselves ****ed hard

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Still think it’d be amazing if Lloyd Irving got in, think of the amazing music smash would acquire! I feel like this song alone would fit in nicely ;)

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824

Easy

Difficult

What's your list?
Wayforward - It's either Shantae being playable or not being in at all
Activision - They'll let Crash get in as long as he's DLC and they get revenue
Sunsoft - They haven't made an Aero the Acro-bat game since the SNES era, so he's not getting in anytime soon

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Easy

Difficult

What's your list?
My list is the same as yours for roughly the same reasons. To add some hypothetical companies...

Ubisoft: Kill any characters you like, just pls add Rayman--he's sad as a trophy.
Capcom: Okay, you can kill off Mega Man, but we get to be the final veteran reveal.
Konami: Wha? We were gone? Sorry bout that. You only get one unique newcomer tho.
Namco: I mean we're helping to make the game, but we still won't make it easy.
Microsoft: We need any good publicity we can get.
Sega: *grumble grumble* Have our mascot, sure, but here's the precise specifications.
Activision: We now own some pretty iconic characters--if you want them, maybe we'll lend them. Maybe.
Disney: We'd be on board, just give us lots of money. No Mickey Mouse (probably).
Square Enix: What? You want more songs? Play Final Fantasy VII on Switch instead.
Sony: GTFO

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Random question: If you could choose the unlockable characters to be like in Melee/Brawl/3DS instead of almost whole cast, which characters would you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom