• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I dont think steve is in.

I think someone is fooling vergeben

And everyone is piggybanking on vergeben
Out of all the new footage I've seen today, this is the craziest combo I can remember.

Unrelated:

Man, I don't who the woman that was on commentary is, but it's pretty clear she has no idea what's going on :p

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
You don't browse 4Chan much I assume. People have made tons of these things. Leaks have happened from 4Chan, yes. But so have a hell of a ton of bogus ones. Just because its sometimes right doesn't mean its right here. The fact that they only posted this one image makes me doubtful. If you had access to the game, you'd have more than a single image.

Or, let me put it this way. There was a thread where someone was doing Karate Joe and an anon (which I suspect was the same guy) would make request for images and then the guy who respond with an image he requested. He did this with about 5 images. People put a lot of effort into these and people have produced far more and I would say far better than this one.
>I don't browse 4chan much

What? I literally browse the 4chan and lurking there for few years. I also know about that specific leaks that you were talking about, so why bringing it up WHEN we were talking about ken leak? Is it because that you find it so suspicious when said leak was posted on 4chan, website that known for making fake leaks but few real leaks were brought up there, and /vp/ even have corocoro leaks whatever there is new gen games coming up.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I've been listening to this song for a while now, and can't help but feel it would be a near-perfect fit for Ultimate:

I'd love more of Yoko Shimomura's stuff in Smash indeed! More Mario & Luigi songs in general would be great though.
Now that you mention about Mario RPG......I'd love it if Square Enix made a sequel to that Super Mario RPG.

The Mario RPG 3 remake will probably be the last game on 3DS. Not sure how will Mario RPG game look like on Switch.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I dont think steve is in.

I think someone is fooling vergeben

And everyone is piggybanking on vergeben
Vergeben is not the original leaker for a playable Steve. That was Senjougahara__Hitagi. Vergeben consulted Hitagi after Hitagi's track record for leaks being really good, and from there decided to lean on Steve being playable.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Can it be Antasma's theme instead? Loved that theme significantly more

Listening to it, it does sound quite good. I do still prefer Adventure's End, but The Final Anthasma Battle could work as well. More Mario RPG battle music in general would be appreciated! :)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Vergeben is not the original leaker for a playable Steve. That was Senjougahara__Hitagi. Vergeben consulted Hitagi after Hitagi's track record for leaks being really good, and from there decided to lean on Steve being playable.
Except no Verge never did that, he said it's possible as all Verge knows is that Minecraft content is in Smash, but not the specifics

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Now that you mention about Mario RPG......I'd love it if Square Enix made a sequel to that Super Mario RPG.

The Mario RPG 3 remake will probably be the last game on 3DS. Not sure how will Mario RPG game look like on Switch.
A true Super Mario RPG 2, especially if you have the OG crew of Mario, Mallow, Geno, Bowser and Peach, would be pretty neat (though we'd need more of the characters established since then I think, especially Luigi). I'm not expecting it to happen at all, given how branched off the Mario RPG series have become (plus the fact that they are both inherently spiritual successors to the original), but if they could pull it off well, a revisit to the RPG that started them all could be interesting.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Now obviously I'm not going to nag people who name the character outside of the context of leaks.

I'd probably be silently reporting if I could find anything in the rules about spoilers, but their doesn't seem to be any so I guess I'll just have to annoy people about it.
Reveal trailers are so much better if they're unspoiled though. Ridley and K.Rool trailers were fantastic, imo, because of the lack of spoilers regarding them but I felt almost nothing during Simon's reveal because I already saw him coming.

Sakurai himself hates leakers for this very reason.
I was super hyped during Simon's trailer. I got goosebumps from how epic the whole thing was, especially during the scene when he threw the cross. And I knew of his leak ahead of time.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
i'd rather get Bowsette and all other characters deleted
This whole business about Peachette and Bowsette reminds me of Demitri Maximoff from Darkstalkers honestly; turning male fighters into female versions with his Midnight Bliss Super. If he made into Smash by some miracle, you bet I'd go out of my way to see how Sakurai and his team would change all of the 70+ fighters for that attack (kind of like another variant of the Kirby Hats).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anything interesting happen at Tokyo Game Show? Any news on what Nintendo was doing over there?

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
:ultlink::ultmarth::ultcloud::ultmetaknight::ultyounglink::ultshulk::ultchrom::ultrichter:

And Geno... and Skull Kid

Mains for Ultimate?
Based on past mains and who we know about already...

:ultpeach::ultmewtwo::ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultcloud::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrosalina::ulttoonlink:

In no particular order. Some of these guys might be replaced with others (potentially :ultsimon: for :ultrichter: and :ulttoonlink: for :ultlink:, for example), plus I want to give everyone a fair shake, so this list is subject to change. I'm thinking I'll have 10 "main" characters and 10 "secondary" characters overall, just to try and have some variety when I play, though there may be times I'll want to play with the Random button instead, which will be a first for me. Either way though, having lots of choices will be quite exciting!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Now obviously I'm not going to nag people who name the character outside of the context of leaks.

I'd probably be silently reporting if I could find anything in the rules about spoilers, but their doesn't seem to be any so I guess I'll just have to annoy people about it.
Reveal trailers are so much better if they're unspoiled though. Ridley and K.Rool trailers were fantastic, imo, because of the lack of spoilers regarding them but I felt almost nothing during Simon's reveal because I already saw him coming.

Sakurai himself hates leakers for this very reason.
I'm definitely for this as well. We've got a leak thread now, so let's keep the leak discussion there. Not all of us want to be spoiled on everything.

Spoiler tags exist. Or talk in the leak thread. But don't spoil it for people who want to just talk about the game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This whole business about Peachette and Bowsette reminds me of Demitri Maximoff from Darkstalkers honestly; turning male fighters into female versions with his Midnight Bliss Super. If he made into Smash by some miracle, you bet I'd go out of my way to see how Sakurai and his team would change all of the 70+ fighters for that attack (kind of like another variant of the Kirby Hats).
I'm sickened but curious how that would work, though I can see Sakurai giggling to himself and have Richter turn into his fiance and stuff like that

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Please keep it about Smash Bros. Ultimate here. You can always use the Nintenzone Social instead.
On an unrelated note, how would you feel if this happened to YOU?

Iridium

Smash Hero

:ultpeach::ultmewtwo::ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultcloud::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrosalina::ulttoonlink:

In no particular order. Some of these guys might be replaced with others (potentially :ultsimon: for :ultrichter: and :ulttoonlink: for :ultlink:, for example), plus I want to give everyone a fair shake, so this list is subject to change. I'm thinking I'll have 10 "main" characters and 10 "secondary" characters overall, just to try and have some variety when I play, though there may be times I'll want to play with the Random button instead, which will be a first for me. Either way though, having lots of choices will be quite exciting!
Well, as I've expressed here, I chose 8 mains now: :ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultsonic::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultpit::ultmarth:. I might add :ultsimon: too, but I'll think about it. Many characters might come in handy at this point.

Edit: I really want to pick up :ultyounglink: too. Can anyone try to convince me to try him? I've never used him at all, as I never played Melee.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I was super hyped during Simon's trailer. I got goosebumps from how epic the whole thing was, especially during the scene when he threw the cross. And I knew of his leak ahead of time.
It'd be a lie to say I didn't enjoy the trailer, but a lot of the excitement for me at least comes from the build up to the reveal. When watching Riddley's and K.Rools trailer, I had a hunch it was them but was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for a confirmation because I wasn't quite sure. That didn't happen with Simon because the moment the trailer started I was already certain.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Well, as I've expressed here, I chose 8 mains now: :ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultsonic::ultgreninja::ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultpit::ultmarth:. I might add :ultsimon: too, but I'll think about it. Many characters might come in handy at this point.

Edit: I really want to pick up :ultyounglink: too. Can anyone try to convince me to try him? I've never used him at all, as I never played Melee.
:ultyounglink: is going to be an interesting case, since :ulttoonlink: was essentially his successor in Brawl and 4. I know that :ulttoonlink:'s FSmash has been changed to a slash arcing upward from his former 2-step FSmash, so I'm assuming :ultyounglink: will inherit that one again, plus :ultyounglink: had Fire Arrows unlike the standard ones that :ultlink: and :ulttoonlink: have. Otherwise, we really need more gameplay of :ultyounglink: in action, as I'm hoping that both him and :ulttoonlink: are more varied than what I've mentioned here. Hoping to see if one is stronger/faster than the other as well, that could make a difference in who I use as well.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I have pretty much chosen these few as my mains :ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultwolf::ultkrool: :ultyoshi:(Guess I have a secret bias towards villains/rivals for the most part) but I am willing to give Isabelle a chance and try her out. Yoshi will be main at the start if the Amiibo rumor turns out to be false. (If not, I'm making a mad dash to buy a Mewtwo, Ridley, Wolf, and Isabelle Amiibo at the nearest store that has them come release day)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Toon Link didn't inherit everything he had, such as the fire arrows and multi-hit bombs. He also isn't floatier than Link.

zyaire33

Smash Rookie

Young link seems to be a lighter smash 4 Link, who I’ve mained before. And Young Link was always badass to me so that’s a reason to. PM Young Link is also awesome.

D

Deleted member

So who would be the most controversial newcomer added to Ultimate?
My money's on Sora. Maybe Elma too.

Last edited by a moderator:

zyaire33

Smash Rookie

Ha ha. I guess even with all these options I still have a bias for anime swordsmen.

And Geno

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
So who would be the most controversial newcomer added to Ultimate?
My money's on and Sora. Maybe Elma too.
Based on everything I've read, I almost feel like Steve could be the most controversial newcomer that has a good chance of making the roster. Incineroar to a lesser extent, but because it is a Pokémon rather than a fully unique third-party character, I think more people would be accustomed to it being in Smash once the game is out. If anything, I don't see Incineroar being any more controversial than Dark Pit and Dr. Mario were in Smash 4 if I had to guess.

Personally though, I'm okay with Steve if he does end up playable, since Sakurai could easily make him work if he wanted him in.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You know **** it here's my list of potential mains
:ultbayonetta: The Queen
:ultbowser:Bowser looks mostly improved and I occasionally played him in 4
:ultfalcon:HYEEEEEES
:ultcloud:Despite some needed nerfs I'll be loyal
:ultcorrin:She's dope
:ultganondorf:I played him at Gamescon and he just feels dummy unga enough to make him my most played in the future
:ultgreninja:Favourite Pokemon
:ultike:A favourite when it comes to playstyles
:ultisabelle:To piss my friends off
:ultjigglypuff:Me and my friends all pocket Puff for the meme
:ultkirby:My first main
:ultlittlemac:Dumb Fun the character
:ultmarth:Marth was always fun
:ultmegaman:I adore Mega Man
:ultmewtwo:Mewtwo is a character I always enjoy playing, especially when I annoy my friends enough with him
:ultpokemontrainer:Squirtle is ****ing adorable and I liked him in Brawl
:ultridley:God yes, first character I tried and although I didn't get the hang of him, he was fun as hell
:ultchrom:For whenever my friends try to meme Roy on me
:ultryu:Incredibly fun, though may be replaced by Ken
:ultshulk:A favourite in 4
:ultrichter:Love CastleVania and this dude reminded me I like men
:ultsnake:Really loving Metal Gear so even if all I did is beat Snake Eater and 2 missions in Peace Walker, I'll give him a go
:ultwolf:A favourite from Brawl
:ultzelda:She's stupid, but I love Lightning Kicks

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Guys, if you have half the cast on your "main" list, you don't really have a "main" character.

D

Deleted member

Based on everything I've read, I almost feel like Steve could be the most controversial newcomer that has a good chance of making the roster. Incineroar to a lesser extent, but because it is a Pokémon rather than a fully unique third-party character, I think more people would be accustomed to it being in Smash once the game is out. If anything, I don't see Incineroar being any more controversial than Dark Pit and Dr. Mario were in Smash 4 if I had to guess.

Personally though, I'm okay with Steve if he does end up playable, since Sakurai could easily make him work if he wanted him in.
Oh yeah. How'd I forget about Steve?

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192
Ha ha. I guess even with all these options I still have a bias for anime swordsmen.

And Geno
That's cool, there are a lot of options to choose from even among the anime swordsman. :laugh:

I actually like using :ultike::ultshulk: on a secondary basis, and :ultlucina::ultmarth::ultcorrin: on a more casual basis, as swords are my favorite weapons in fighting games too. In fact, the fact that I want Lyn in to represent a new potential type of sword moveset speaks for itself in that I wouldn't mind more sword users (and don't have any issue with more FE characters either).

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I still, honestly, do not get why incineroar would be controversial at all. Aside from it not being someones favourite pick. It's a starter pokemon from the latest core rpg. It's the most safe pick ever aside Sakurai not knowing which of them would prove popular. It's also a pokemon that was hated at first but grew on a lot of people by the time usum came out.

D

Deleted member

Guys, if you have half the cast on your "main" list, you don't really have a "main" character.
Jokes on you, my main is the random select. Random is best main.

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So uh...is anyone looking forward to the Rathalos boss battle?
I'm looking forward to every boss battle. Everyone's getting bopped. And last time a boss with a huge hitbox showed up, Metal Blade did more damage than on normal opponents. Because of how the move does multiple hits.

MM2-MetalBlade-Art.jpg

20 More Years. 20 MORE YEARS!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Bosses I personally want to see are Deathborn, General Scales w/ King RedEye, Hades (As a recurring antagonist as among the masterminds behind the story of Spirits), King Boo, Majora and Waluigi (As a joke boss similar to Electrictutioner and Mysterio who gets defeated in one hit).

Used to say Black Knight but someone convinced me why it'd probably be someone else from Fire Emblem. I would also say Dynablade or Kracko too but its rumored Marx is going to be the Kirby boss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom