• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Honestly when I saw Tom Nook the first thing that came to my mind was him as an Isabelle Echo Fighter. But then when he brought up everybody needing homes to return to, I thought of a potential new Animal Crossing installment. When the screen faded to white, I watched intently, and then I saw it. I lost my mind. I and many others have wanted this for ages and to finally know it's coming was a true delight.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
it's not that i hated it...but yeah ..i hated it sorry.
That was the less hype trailer .

the only reason she got in in this direct it's to promote animal crossing.

it's ok i don't like this character and happy for people who love her but you must understand that this character is 50%/50% .
you hate or you love.

She deserve to be in smash at least. Congrats.

give me hope for Semi clone Dixie Kong :)

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Am I the only one that thinks "If Veregeben has correct info then Ken is probably unique/Isabelle status"?

Like I feel everyone thinks Veregeben is legit but still assumes Ken is an echo. He didn't know anything about echoes and continues to only know unique characters.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
I personally enjoyed Isabelle's trailer. Fits right in with how Animal Crossing is and is a good representation of Isabelle's character and origin.

My only complaint is that the beginning kinda dragged on for a bit. But whatever, past is in the past.
The only way it could have been more AC is if I had to fish for days on end in order to buy the Tom Nook addition to my house, I mean trailer.

Staarih

Smash Master
A lot of people seem to emphasize that Isabelle is "important" to Nintendo, which is very much true, but it's not like fan support didn't play any part at all. I personally reckon she did pretty well on the ballot, especially in Japan, where she is really popular. While the Direct may have been delayed out of respect, they probably also wanted to make sure the Japanese audience was indeed capable of watching it because of how hype Isabelle and Animal Crossing in general are in Japan.

As for Isabelle's trailer, it might've been a bit uneventful, but it stayed true to the style of AC and worked really well as a cop out (which is what I think they we're going for), many thinking it was a new Animal Crossing game at first.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Am I the only one that thinks "If Veregeben has correct info then Ken is probably unique/Isabelle status"?

Like I feel everyone thinks Veregeben is legit but still assumes Ken is an echo. He didn't know anything about echoes and continues to only know unique characters.
But Ken literally is a Ryu echo fighter

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

No, he confirmed that Ken Was an Echo. He was unsure if Isabelle Was an echo or not...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The trailer was super hype for me idk
Probably had to do with my prediction being spot on in the end

It doubled when AC was announced
I'm leaving you fools for my new village in 2019

(Probably not, i love you all, despite our fundamental disagreements)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Cheap online price from Nintendo...still don’t wanna pay online for gaming on any console but it’s $20 so it’s not bad in the pricing department...but gets a negative for not revealing Kid Icarus Uprising HD

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I just think the Isabelle trailer hate stems from people not controlling their hype and thinking every direct and every trailer is about them[Smashers].

Isabelle was a small reveal in a Direct that, had we not been getting a new AC, probably wouldn’t have even had anything Smash related at all.

I get why people are complaining but we literally just got K.Rool and the Echos not long ago... it just looks like people are getting hella spoiled to me.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I feel like the reason he doesn't know much about echoes is because most of them were late additions, but Ken probably wasn't, not only is he 3rd party, but he's like the posterboy for clone characters, so when they drew up the echoes concept (which I'm certain was part of the project plan) Ken would be one of the first names on the list.

I haven't really played SFV where he's apparently changed quite a bit, but throughout the history of the series Ken has pretty much always been a clone, it'd almost be out of character for him to not be one.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I adored the trailer. It took about twenty seconds for it to click that my dream had came true, but when it did I was ecstatic. Slow, yes, but I didn't mind.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Nintendo's online is reasonable enough. $20/year mostly for hopefully superior to what they've offered for free before basic infrastructure (anyone else remember it taking an hour to download Lucas/Roy/Ryu?) isn't terrible, and the netflix for NES games is at least a non-zero value even if it's a relatively low value to anyone who knows how to use an emulator. I mean I'm going to be honest here; no matter how many features their online had or whatever, I was only going to buy it to play Smash Ultimate online so I prefer the rest of the fluff be at a minimum since I wouldn't use it anyway. If the special deals they talked about involve any discounts on Smash DLC, which I doubt they will but a man can dream, that effectively reduces the price of the online too since I was buying that DLC either way. I mean, don't get me wrong. Paid online is mostly a bad value for the customer, and this is definitely a cash grab because they saw Sony and Microsoft get away with it. Just as far as cash grabs go, I prefer this $20 one over a like $60 one from the other companies.

My much bigger concern is for Smash Ultimate's netcode. Let's be honest here. Brawl was almost 100% unplayable online (I remember seeing the video of the match with an 8 minute timer that took 45 minutes in real life because of all the lag, and based on typical experience it was so easy to believe), and while 4 was relatively a big step up, it still had the single worst netcode of any fighter I saw from its generation. Actually good rollback based netcode feels like a pipe dream here, but if they're going to use inferior delay based netcode like they have before, I hope they at least make it relatively well executed such that you can't constantly feel lag when two people with reasonably decent but thoroughly American internet connections play each other which so far has completely eluded them but is something that somehow almost every other company can manage. Seeing the online services in this direct and seeing no talk about their netcode wasn't a feel good moment; is silence in this case an indicator that they've done bad work, aren't proud of it, and don't want to talk about it? This matters a lot!

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
No, he confirmed that Ken Was an Echo. He was unsure if Isabelle Was an echo or not...
Which to be fair is how a lot of people viewed that trailer at first, especially given Chrom throwing a wrench into our definitions of echoes. I can buy that from his "source".

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Not gonna lie, if Ken gets in as a unique character, I'll be annoyed that they didn't opt for Chun-Li instead..

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I just think the Isabelle trailer hate stems from people not controlling their hype and thinking every direct and every trailer is about them[Smashers].

Isabelle is was a small reveal in a Direct that, had we not been getting a new AC, probably wouldn’t have even had anything Smash related at all.

I get way people are complaining but we literally just got K.Rool and the Echos not long ago... it just looks like people are getting hella spoiled to me.
I haven't seen it on here a whole lot but I've seen a bunch of other sites directly call out Nintendo for them not revealing Geno or Isaac or whoever.

You only have yourself to blame for setting your own expectations too high, ESPECIALLY when all we were promised was "more 3DS and Switch news".

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Has anybody else brought up Isabelle's absence from the Everyone is Here artwork? EDIT: Nevermind, it was added recently now that I checked again. A mod can feel free to delete this needless post.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm of the opinion that the purpose of that trailer was to keep non-Smash fans watching.
Both to try to lure them into Smash with Isabelle, and so they didn't miss the Animal Crossing announcement.
That would explain the lack of the logo at the beginning, and why they kept switching up between teasing Smash and teasing Animal Crossing.

Plus it honestly fits Isabelle very very well.
You gotta wonder though. Ya think, maybe they could've announced the new Animal Crossing game first, and then maybe done her trailer and have it be more exciting? Like, I'm not even looking at it from a strictly Smash perspective, but just as a hype in general one. Granted, I can see the methodology and them not wanting to risk overexposing Smash...but the trailer could've still been better paced and the hoax kind of was easy to see through anyway so it wasn't THAT surprising.

D

Deleted member

Well, I was going to post a picture of my dog in honor of Isabelle's reveal, but I can't seem to do that. Oh well.

In regards to Nintendo's online, yes it's relatively cheap, but I hope we get more out of it aside from a few NES games to play. Just my take on the whole thing.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo's online is reasonable enough. $20/year mostly for hopefully superior to what they've offered for free before basic infrastructure (anyone else remember it taking an hour to download Lucas/Roy/Ryu?) isn't terrible, and the netflix for NES games is at least a non-zero value even if it's a relatively low value to anyone who knows how to use an emulator. I mean I'm going to be honest here; no matter how many features their online had or whatever, I was only going to buy it to play Smash Ultimate online so I prefer the rest of the fluff be at a minimum since I wouldn't use it anyway. If the special deals they talked about involve any discounts on Smash DLC, which I doubt they will but a man can dream, that effectively reduces the price of the online too since I was buying that DLC either way. I mean, don't get me wrong. Paid online is mostly a bad value for the customer, and this is definitely a cash grab because they saw Sony and Microsoft get away with it. Just as far as cash grabs go, I prefer this $20 one over a like $60 one from the other companies.

My much bigger concern is for Smash Ultimate's netcode. Let's be honest here. Brawl was almost 100% unplayable online (I remember seeing the video of the match with an 8 minute timer that took 45 minutes in real life because of all the lag, and based on typical experience it was so easy to believe), and while 4 was relatively a big step up, it still had the single worst netcode of any fighter I saw from its generation. Actually good rollback based netcode feels like a pipe dream here, but if they're going to use inferior delay based netcode like they have before, I hope they at least make it relatively well executed such that you can't constantly feel lag when two people with reasonably decent but thoroughly American internet connections play each other which so far has completely eluded them but is something that somehow almost every other company can manage. Seeing the online services in this direct and seeing no talk about their netcode wasn't a feel good moment; is silence in this case an indicator that they've done bad work, aren't proud of it, and don't want to talk about it? This matters a lot!
Well we have to remember this was for the broad Nintendo audience, and netcode isnt exactly snazzy to talk about. I'm curious, how have Splatoon, Mario Kart, and ARMS been running online? Could be a good indication of what to expect, let alone once subscription money comes in to help with the stability maintenance/upgrades

Pakky

Smash Hero
On the topic of Eggman here's a rebuttal against a large detraction

Does he NEED to be in a vehicle?
NOPE

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
With this amazing direct, I can confidently believe that Final Fantasy IS getting more music into Smash.
This direct proved that Square Enix is not as stingy as we thought.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
$20 a year is more than acceptable. You could easily earn much more than that within one day's of hard work. But that isn't to say that it doesn't need improvements.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
With this amazing direct, I can confidently believe that Final Fantasy IS getting more music into Smash.
This direct proved that Square Enix is not as stingy as we thought.
Perhaps they only showed two earlier to hide the access to all the other Final Fantasies? Some hype FFX music in Smash maybe?

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
The only reason I would rather see Ken as an echo instead of a semi-clone is because of an eventual Chun-Li during the dlc period.

But I guess there's nothing wrong with having three non-echo street fighter characters...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The Isabelle hate is simple.

(1) Ridley gets revealed.
(2) K. Rool gets revealed.
(3) "OMG literally all of the unique newcomers will be ballot winners! Who's next!? Geno or Isaac!?"
(4) Isabelle gets revealed.
(5) "You serious Sakurai!? That's not the character I expected! No one talked about her online wanted her!! Bad decision!"

D

Deleted member

The trailer was super hype for me idk
Probably had to do with my prediction being spot on in the end

It doubled when AC was announced
I'm leaving you fools for my new village in 2019

(Probably not, i love you all, despite our fundamental disagreements)
Remember when I said it wouldn't happen?
they still showed the Smash stuff before AC tho
Not gonna lie, if Ken gets in as a unique character, I'll be annoyed that they didn't opt for Chun-Li instead..
Same, though I wouldn't really mind it that much. Best case scenario for me is Ken as an Echo and Chun Li as the unique newcomer as far as SF goes.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
The only reason I would rather see Ken as an echo instead of a semi-clone is because of an eventual Chun-Li during the dlc period.

But I guess there's nothing wrong with having three non-echo street fighter characters...
I think Sonic will be the only 3rd party series to get a 2nd unique newcomer

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad Isabelle's trailer was basic for two reasons:

1) It's probably hard to make AC actually hype, so why waste the time and resources.
2) It means they can spend more time on other more demanding trailers such as the Simon cinematic.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I said this in another topic but my problem isn't that Isabelle is in the game. My problem is how unique they made her while other characters like Dark Samus who has tons of moveset potential are made an echo. Yeah I know Isabelle is more popular but dangit it just seems odd. Isabelle has no moves to pull from and many Isabelle supporters seemed fine with the idea of her being an echo fighter.

In a way, I kind of feel like they wasted a lot of time and effort on her when they could have done something simple and most people would be okay with it.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Remember when I said it wouldn't happen?
they still showed the Smash stuff before AC tho
My prediction was that she'd be attached to an AC announcement in some way. Then I kept trying to extend that by trying to predict the layout of the damn direct which was silly of me, haha, But wrong order or not I got the semantics in my official quoted prediction in my sig right at least.

Also, yeah, I was gonna tag you but I didn't wanna risk making it seem like I was trying to be a jerk again haha

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I'm pretty neutral on Isabelle; happy for her fans, but I'm not familiar with Animal Crossing at all.

Isabelle is adorable, though. What a good doggo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom