• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Most of these "theories" are just people trying to make patterns out of nothing because of how desperate we are for any sort of information.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
All this is pointing to the reveal being Skull Kid, since Toon Link's post is right after where the newcomer would be. But we'll see in due time.
I mean

It could be a character from a game Toon Link is in too
That'd be fun

inb4 Linebeck

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Woah, that's a bunch of missed updates. Maybe we will get something more than a newcomer in the direct. Echoes anyone?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Isn’t it possible that we do not get a character memory? Some characters don’t have any.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
ot at all. This Smash is certainly special, because it's got all the characters and most of the old stages, but you have people questioning if it truly is "ultimate" because not all stages are returning, and there's likely no Story Mode, and that's because the game isn't Ultimate. Similar? Yes. The same? Nope.
"Better" and "The best" are two different degrees of good

And even then, stop looking into the titles so much. Even Sakurai said he doesn't expect this to be the last one or anything, and the reason there's so much going into it isn't because it's supposed to be some culmination of his life's work. It's just that he constantly puts a lot (almost way too much) of effort into the game every time it's iterated on to make sure it fits his vision at the time. He wants this game to be the best one so far... because he always wants his games to be the best one so far.

Not cause this is supposed to be some literally ultimate edition of the game
It's not. Special is also more akin to "alternative" or "deluxe" in Japan. It pretty much means that this Smash will be the biggest compilation and the biggest fanservice one yet, not the literal Ultimate Smash game where they have to pour in 10 years of work just to get what everyone wants
Okay i can't argue against these, but i'll state this: i prefer looking into details and getting excited rather than being """"realistic"""" just to not let myself down. even tho everyone will always be let down no matter what they do
The disappointment could last a day or 2, but the excitement and hype will last forever.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I doubt Sakurai cares about spoilers. Considering Sheik and Lucina being playable(not like that lasted long in the FE games themselves tho) and Mecha Fiora being waved at everyone's faces at least thrice now.
And how he spoiled his own Kid Icarus game twice (maybe more)
Both of you forgot the big one: Mother. 3. Which wasn't even officially localized.

His Smash announcements getting spoiled is where he crosses the line, though.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Woah, that's a bunch of missed updates. Maybe we will get something more than a newcomer in the direct. Echoes anyone?
I've not moved from my hill that we're getting one unique and one echo.

I still think it'll be Isabelle (right after Animal Crossing Switch is announced) + either Isaac or Skull Kid or some other newcomer. I initially thought Isaac but honestly I want Skull Kid more so I'm gonna pretend that's the better pick here.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I can't wait to see the chaos if we get a Zelda character who isn't Skull Kid or a Pokemon who isn't Incineroar, just because so many people are proclaiming they're locks when nothing is set in stone.
When Toon Link and Alphonzo join the battle, Skull Kid is in charge of the train.
Skull Kid: Leave it to me!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
All this is pointing to the reveal being Skull Kid, since Toon Link's post is right after where the newcomer would be. But we'll see in due time.
What is this new straw grasping technique?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Not really? The blog itself has no pattern, there was nothing relating to the DK series, or Fire Emblem, or Metroid immediately after the Smash Direct

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Okay i can't argue against these, but i'll state this: i prefer looking into details and getting excited rather than being """"realistic"""" just to not let myself down. even tho everyone will always be let down no matter what they do
The disappointment could last a day or 2, but the excitement and hype will last forever.
I'll be real with ya chief

I'm super excited regardless and even if the game was released with just the current roster we know I'd be hype
Lying to myself about the purpose of the game would only dampen it

But you do you

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Most of these "theories" are just people trying to make patterns out of nothing because of how desperate we are for any sort of information.
Smash theories are nothing new and yes, most of them are wrong.

The reason the music theory sticks around is because its been consistent. We have yet to have an overlap for music and all the main newcomers have music shown off for them. The blog post seem to confirm this holds true for the 5th character. It is possible for it to deviate later but it has been consistent thus far which is more than you can say for a lot of these theories.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
"The first proposal was completed in December 2015, back while we were still working on DLC for the previous title. It wasn’t until later that I assembled a team and began development on this new title in earnest. "
http://n64josh.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-development-details/

So a bit less than 3 years of work, assuming a generous January 2016 start and October 2018 end.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Considering the following:
  1. So far, the unique newcomers introduced have been to meet long-time fan demand
  2. A significant amount of time was spent on bringing back characters and stages
  3. An entire new category of character was created for 1:1 clones that explicitly less work put into them then other characters, making the roster seem bigger with less resources.
  4. Sakurai chose not to revamp its art-style or its engine completely
  5. Many characters have add changes applied to them, instead of direct translations
  6. Many veterans did not appear in Smash 4 and had to be built again from almost the ground up.
  7. In the world premier, Sakurai came out and emphasized telling people not to hope for many new characters.
  8. The "hype cycle" for Smash Ultimate is half a year in length.
With this in mind, I find it highly unlikely that Sakurai's going to be hiding a huge 10+ roster up his sleeve.

Unless, of course, the majority of the newcomers are going to be echoes which take much less resources and could pad out the roster a bit more, but those aren't what most people consider "full" characters.
Given all of this, I'm honestly expecting us getting 3-4 more unique newcomers and that's it. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's just two more though.
I just feel a lot of people are inflating the idea of how many newcomers we're getting this time around, given there's so many being tossed around in terms of speculation. Therefore a good chunk of people are believing the majority of them will get in.

Also, a lot of people are forgetting the fact that Sakurai said he's revealing the design of all newcomers before the game's launch. Leaving no room for any potential other hidden fighters. Which looking at our timeline, it's definitely not going to be a mass amount of unique characters left to be revealed.

unless idk he drops every single unique newcomer in a single direct, but I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
The reason the music theory sticks around is because its been consistent. We have yet to have an overlap for music and all the main newcomers have music shown off for them. The blog post seem to confirm this holds true for the 5th character. It is possible for it to deviate later but it has been consistent thus far which is more than you can say for a lot of these theories.
Can't wait for this one to be broken so I can watch everyone be shocked... for the 100th time.

Just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. It's the trap everyone keeps throwing themselves into.

I said it once before and everyone was acting like I was saying something ridiculously obvious and then went back to doing it lmao

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Any other bosses you want to see in Spirits/Classic mode?

Like, maybe a return of Subspace Emissary bosses (including Tabuu), as well as a few new ones? Here's my suggestions for newcomers.

*Mother Beast Lusamine (Pokemon Sun/Moon) - Set in Ultra Space
*Mr. Sandman (Punch-Out!!) - Set in Boxing Ring
*Tiki Tong (Donkey Kong Country Returns) - Set in Volcano Stage
*Ruined Dragon (Super Mario Odyssey) - Set in Ruined Kingdom
*One of the Blight Ganons (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)
*Sahelanthropus (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain)
*M. Bison (Street Fighter)

I also would hope that, in easier modes, you could battle Rathalos with Felyne assistants.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Like, maybe a return of Subspace Emissary bosses (including Tabuu), as well as a few new ones? Here's my suggestions for newcomers.

I also would hope that, in easier modes, you could battle Rathalos with Felyne assistants.
Naval Piranha or Raphael the Raven from Yoshi's Island :yoshi:

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
So ready for Smash with these new controllers off amazon! They came each with a controller extension cord and a single GameCube memory card! Thankfully, I have a GameCube! 19FAEBE2-36DA-4C8E-A2A8-93C29C6D3084.jpeg I

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

-Deathborn
-Dynablade or Kracko
-General Scales w/ King RedEye
-Giygas
-Hades
-King Boo
-Nightmare

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Even if the music theory is true, they could just include already-existing music in the newcomer's trailer in some way.

Or maybe, they wouldn't care, because the character's trailer would probably have exclusive music like Simon and Richter's, Ridley's...

seriously.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
It’ll be interesting to see if the music theory holds out... it’ll be rather awkward if it does, though, since would imply (but wouldn’t confirm) they disconfirmed some characters in such a manner....

What happens when you run out of straws?
You use your other super move, Raging Grocery Shopper.

BUY ONE THOUSAND ITEMS!

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
How would y'all feel if Tabuu were a playable character in Ultimate? He'd be unique as the only playable character who originated in Smash (if you exclude:ultgnw:)

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Even if the music theory is true, they could just include already-existing music in the newcomer's trailer in some way.

Or maybe, they wouldn't care, because the character's trailer would probably have exclusive music like Simon and Richter's, Ridley's...

seriously.
Yes, I don't get where people are getting these wild ideas that it's deconfirming characters or music pieces or new series. It's literally just about overlaps and how this week it got skipped because it's probably for a character from a series that doesn't has music there yet. City Trial being there doesn't deconfirm Bandana Waddle Dee etc

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

I think if we're getting any old Subspace bosses back in Smash Ultimate, they definitely need to have their own environments that call back to their home series, and maybe gain a few unique attacks or transformations that reference their games.
Like for instance, Rayquaza should be fought on top of Sky Pillar and should transform into Mega Rayquaza after getting half of his health taken down or something, gaining new attacks alongside it.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I do believe that we are only getting one music track per franchise revealed on the website. But I don't think that correlates with decomfirming characters. Because characters have been showed to use old music like Simon who used an old remix of Vampire Killer from castlevania game. And the remix on the site was a totally different remix anyway. I could totally see someone like Bandana Waddle Dee just use a non-remix track for example. With that said, due to the fact that they skipped about a week worth of updates with this music, I feel like that means that they skipped a music update because it had to do with a newcomer. And so that particular newcomer is probably from a series that hasn't been reprensted in the music updates.

Now if I'm wrong...then nothing. Nothing happens. I'm wrong and then I move on with my day. I would love to be wrong in fact because that means potential to hear another kirby remix preview. But I am ultimately just making a prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom