• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think if anyone is TRULY impossible to make base roster is someone from ARMS. The director said it was too soon for a character to be on Smash’s base roster. An ARMS rep WILL certainly be DLC.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
We've had 13 weeks of music updates with absolutely no overlaps. I think it's very safe to assume that.
But not every newcomer must have a music reveal that's what I'm saying. so the likes of any Mario, Zelda, Kirby etc is not deconfirmed at all in the slightest because the series already has a track on the blog

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I'm... pretty sure Ultimate's development started the moment DLC for Smash 4 was done, and possibly sooner than that, even. They've had some good time.
Yeah.

And they used that time to bring us every character and almost every stage back.

I don't think people realise the scope of this game compared to the other ones when talking about development time.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I think if anyone is TRULY impossible to make base roster is someone from ARMS. The director said it was too soon for a character to be on Smash’s base roster. An ARMS rep WILL certainly be DLC.
True, Arms could have been a huge flop for all they knew when development started in 2015, How far along was arms at that point anyway?

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Everyone is. Might as well ask yourself why the current SSB Women's Champion is Alexa Bliss

And the SSB Women's Intercontinental Champion (secondary title) is none other than Dixie Kong

I mean...the winner gets a championship opportunity against Bliss so keep that in mind ;)

...**** I forgot someone. Lemme redo this

:ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultlucina::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultwiifittrainer::ultzelda::ultzss::4corrinf::4miif::4robinf::4villagerf::4wendy::ultjigglypuff::ultpikachu:(Lucha)

:ultbayonetta:vs:ultsheik:vs:ultrosalina:vs:ultinkling:

:4villagerf:vs:4corrinf:vs:ultdarksamus:vs:ultpeach:

:4miif:vs:4robinf:vs:ultdaisy:vs:ultpikachu:

:4wendy:vs:ultsamus:vs:ultjigglypuff:vs:ultzss:

:ultpalutena:vs:ultwiifittrainer:vs:ultlucina:vs:ultzelda:

Winner of each of these rounds will move onto the Fatal-5-Way for the Women's Championship

PLACE YOUR BETS PEOPLE!!!
Only one has glasses, and glasses just make you plain better than other people.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Also I don’t think Bayonetta is getting a new song since the Direct said it had 12 songs still... Which is a shame cause I would have loved Space Harrier and Outrun to be tracks.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
But not every newcomer must have a music reveal that's what I'm saying. so the likes of any Mario, Zelda, Kirby etc is not deconfirmed at all in the slightest because the series already has a track on the blog
Oh, yes! I fully agree. Though I gotta say that for this one they actively avoided it, so I dunno, I think it's gonna be a rep from a franchise not represented there

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Can you source me where he said this about SSB4 because I've never ever seen that come up
And he also had over a year to reveal characters for SSB4
"Sakurai was also quoted as claiming that the new game was unlikely to emphasize new playable characters, focusing instead on gameplay balance and distinctiveness of its characters."
Source: https://www.ssbwiki.com/Super_Smash_Bros._4#Development and www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/39783/smash-bros-wii-u-may-not-feature-more-characters/

I don't tell this to anyone very often but you seem somewhat sad/without any hopes, what's going on?

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Also I don’t think Bayonetta is getting a new song since the Direct said it had 12 songs still... Which is a shame cause I would have loved Space Harrier and Outrun to be tracks.
Dang, I was gonna say they could be under "other"... but, seeing as how stages work now, they would really have to be under the Bayonetta banner wouldn't they?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
OK this is confusing. How many empty spots are there then?
Just going off of what's happening this week: We're missing 134-137, 140-141, and 143-145.

134-137 are believed to be connected to the newcomer we were supposed to get with the direct last week, which have been done in blocks of two or three (the third being if they get a memory). Due to the delay, we got no blog posts at the end of last week, so they were believed to be skipped, and starting this week we noticed that the blog posts were clearly shifted around thanks to Toon Link's and Bowser's likely confirming our suspicions. 140-141 are the updates that would follow Toon Link's, but would come before Bowser's, but since the latter was moved forward they've gone unaccounted for the time being. Finally, 143-145 would be the updates that followed Bowser, but came before the Pikmin music, but again the music was switched around so they also have gone unaccounted for.

On top of 134-137 going MIA, the music update is very interesting in that one of 140-141 should've been the music update for this week, but it's switched out for next week's song (which is Pikmin). This implies that the music update was intended to be connected to the newcomer in question, and once the direct got delayed that meant the music had to be delayed as well.

Edit: Looking through the data again, I think we may also be missing 137. Toon Link's post are 138-39 and as far as I can tell, so we're missing four posts.

Thanks to Imadethistoseealeak Imadethistoseealeak for point this out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mooooooooooooon Riiiiiver
Wiiiiiiiiiiider than a mile
I'm crossing you in style
Some daaaaaaaaaaaaay
~

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So where does Snipperclips and Galaga Medley fit in here?
Galaga is PAC-MAN, and Noisy Notebook is probably Wii Fit.
nlikely sakurai would choose to add a character as complex as rex and pyra based solely on such early concept art which would be easily subject to change, Pokemon seems to be the sole exception
The two character concept was pretty early on. If anything, Greninja set the precedent for it happening. Sakurai said it was unusual for Greninja, but we have not reason to think it couldn't happen again. Could go either way so we'll have to wait and see. Point is its not totally impossible.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I mean, we already have 8 revealed characters, and if Vergeben is legit, there's 4 more from him.

I dunno, 12 may not be a lot compared to prior games, but it's still a good amount.
Wait. When did Vergeben say that there are 4 more newcomers?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
"Sakurai was also quoted as claiming that the new game was unlikely to emphasize new playable characters, focusing instead on gameplay balance and distinctiveness of its characters."
Source: https://www.ssbwiki.com/Super_Smash_Bros._4#Development

I don't tell this to anyone very often but you seem somewhat sad/without any hopes, what's going on?
Ah good citing my boy
Yeah this is a good point but also remember they have MUCH less time for announcing new characters

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Mooooooooooooon Riiiiiver
Wiiiiiiiiiiider than a mile
I'm crossing you in style
Some daaaaaaaaaaaaay
~
That song and Fly Me To The Moon have licensing issues since they’re actual renditions of real world songs.

D

Deleted member

That song and Fly Me To The Moon have licensing issues since they’re actual renditions of real world songs.
Yeah, I know, and it's a shame. And it also means we can't have Take On Me on Shadow Moses Island.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Galaga is PAC-MAN, and Noisy Notebook is probably Wii Fit.
This is literally taking the biggest shot in the dark Smashchu.

No offense, but your argument is kind of falling apart with all these stretches.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
For this update it probably is. Because the Pikmin music is out of order, it is assumed that the music for this Tuesday was suppose to be related to the newcomer and the Pikmin music was for next week, it probably isn't from a series that already has a song. This doesn't mean you couldnt have a situation where a character is added from a series that already has music, but since we know how everything was suppose to be ordered, we know the music was for this new character.

I should note that this music thing really doesn't seem to apply to echos (as you noted). Ridley, Inkling, Simon and KRool all got music soon after their reveal but it hasn't translated to the echoes (see Daisy and Dark Samus).

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Ah good citing my boy
Yeah this is a good point but also remember they have MUCH less time for announcing new characters
Who says they can't announce a handful of characters each Direct? Maybe i'm being too optimistic, but if this is the "ULTIMATE" game, the pinnacle of every Smash entry, then they gotta have some surprises left to be revealed.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
It might be unpopular but what if Shadow is actually a boss in whatever the "Spirits" mode instead?

Would anyone be mad

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I don't really like the new Pikmin remix. It's fine on it's own, but not at all something I'd listen to while playing Smash.

Hey, Pikmin! Ironically has some pretty good boss themes, and there's some more upbeat music from Pikmin 2/3 that's just.. not in Smash. Why?

I hate to say it, but the music choices for the Pikmin series in the past Smash games have been pretty unfitting. Hopefully Ultimate has some good ones we haven't seen yet.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Who says they can't announce a handful of characters each Direct? Maybe i'm being too optimistic, but if this is the "ULTIMATE" game, the pinnacle of every Smash entry, then they gotta have some surprises left to be revealed.
They probably do but we've speculated so hard we probably figured them out.

It might be unpopular but what if Shadow is actually a boss in whatever the "Spirits" mode instead?

Would anyone be mad
I'd be hurt honestly

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
"The first proposal was completed in December 2015, back while we were still working on DLC for the previous title. It wasn’t until later that I assembled a team and began development on this new title in earnest. "
http://n64josh.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-development-details/

So a bit less than 3 years of work, assuming a generous January 2016 start and October 2018 end.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Considering the following:
  1. So far, the unique newcomers introduced have been to meet long-time fan demand
  2. A significant amount of time was spent on bringing back characters and stages
  3. An entire new category of character was created for 1:1 clones that explicitly less work put into them then other characters, making the roster seem bigger with less resources.
  4. Sakurai chose not to revamp its art-style or its engine completely
  5. Many characters have add changes applied to them, instead of direct translations
  6. Many veterans did not appear in Smash 4 and had to be built again from almost the ground up.
  7. In the world premier, Sakurai came out and emphasized telling people not to hope for many new characters.
  8. The "hype cycle" for Smash Ultimate is half a year in length.
With this in mind, I find it highly unlikely that Sakurai's going to be hiding a huge 10+ roster up his sleeve.

Unless, of course, the majority of the newcomers are going to be echoes which take much less resources and could pad out the roster a bit more, but those aren't what most people consider "full" characters.

Last edited:

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
That remix is great and all, but when are they gonna remix the one true Pikmin banger?

It may not be possible to have an ARMS character but if you rearrange the letters you get ASMR and you know what? this is it. this is the truth

D

Deleted member

what's this music theory that will probably get BTFO'ed in the near future?
If a series already has music on the site, they aren't getting any completely new characters. This means no Skull Kid, Waddle Dee, or Geno. Echoes are fair game.

At least, that's how I interpret it.

Would anyone be mad
If he has guns and his boss theme is I Am All of Me, I'd be content.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
"The first proposal was completed in December 2015, back while we were still working on DLC for the previous title. It wasn’t until later that I assembled a team and began development on this new title in earnest. "
http://n64josh.com/super-smash-bros-ultimate-development-details/

So a bit less than 3 years of work, assuming a generous January 2016 start and October 2018 end.

Considering the following:
  1. So far, the unique newcomers introduced have been to meet long-time fan demand
  2. A significant amount of time was spent on bringing back characters and stages
  3. An entire new category of character was created for 1:1 clones that explicitly less work put into them then other characters, making the roster seem bigger with less resources.
  4. Sakurai chose not to revamp its art-style or its engine completely
  5. Many characters have add changes applied to them, instead of direct translations
  6. In the world premier, Sakurai came out and emphasized telling people not to hope for many new characters.
  7. The "hype cycle" for Smash Ultimate is half a year in length.
With this in mind, I find it highly unlikely that Sakurai's going to be hiding a huge 10+ roster up his sleeve.

Unless, of course, the majority of the newcomers are going to be echoes which take much less resources and could pad out the roster a bit more, but those aren't what most people consider "full" characters.
My stupid idea is that we're getting 3 more unique newcomers so the final number on the fighters will be an even 70. for echoes it can be whatever it can be

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This is literally taking the biggest shot in the dark Smashchu.

No offense, but your argument is kind of falling apart with all these stretches
]

Classic Namco music has always been tied to Pac-Man. This is how it was for Smash Bros Wii U. The Wii Fit Studio stage had Nintendogs and Brain Age music in there for it has been a catch all for Nintendo's more casual games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom