• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This is really stretching, we’ve gotten nothing to suggest that two songs from the same series can’t be uploaded onto the blog.
Even Smash 4 had a series sample more than one song (through of course it was Mario), so more songs are possible

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
They are clearly avoiding that, you can't say it's not deliberate at this point

That being said, they can always make some exception for newcomers, it's not THAT set in stone.
Like I mean Brinstar Depths clearly doesn’t have any correlation to Ridley so I don’t think it’s entirely intentionally connected, I think they’re just trying to have verity with song-selection.

Chrono.

The Pikmin remix is okay.

Way better than anything else that franchise has gotten though.
part of me hopes skull king is confirmed tomorrow just so this nonexistant "music rule" is debunked
The Skull King?

Yes please. We already have He-Man.
(Citation needed)

As NintenZ NintenZ said, they could post a second track from a series that already has a song?
They're pretty much avoiding it at this point.

12 weeks left, 12 franchises left (not counting ones that aren't probably getting new music.)

Last edited:

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Doesn't Dark Samus debunk the theory? Brinstar Depths' remix was up since E3.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the music theory. It seems very reminiscent of things like "too big" and "not relevant".
Nah Dark Samus isn't actually a real character its just a trick as she's breaking the Blog's golden rule

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Hmm knowing that the music update was also postponed...I'm going to say Pokemon Newcomer (with Trailer and Memory) and a new Alolan stage.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
The thing about the music stuff is that... there being a music post doesn't invalidade newcomers. Like we saw with Dark Samus, there was no new Metroid track on the website. So even if Geno or Bandana Dee is revealed, they could just go by without new music being added to the site.

But. In this specific case, they actively avoided this week's song, as it would probably tell whatever character was going to be revealed. So it's safe to assume the direct's reveal won't be someone from an existing series. (or at least, an existing ICON, let's not forget Mario has two)

D

Deleted member

The Song Theory is somehow more stupid than the Trophy Theory and THAT is saying something.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Just for more fun.

Cloud vs. Sephiroth
Ike vs. Black Knight
Little Mac vs. King Hippo
Mega Man vs. Dr. Wily
Pit vs. Medusa
Ryu vs. Akuma
Shulk vs. Zanza
Sonic vs. Dr. Eggman
Wario vs. Captain Syrup
Sephiroth? Black Knight?? Zanza?!

What a sick roster that'd be. Unfortunately Zanza is a huge spoiler and probably couldn't happen. But I'd enjoy those three more than any of "likely" newcomers we always talk about.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Their designs weren't even finalized until 2016, Pokemon is pretty much the only special case in this regard, and a pokemon is a lot more simple than a character from an RPG as big as Xenoblade.

Content doesn't equal characters, making a stage is presumably much easier, especially since it's possible to reuse assets from the original game. botw also was pretty much finished back in 2015 and Odyssey was done long before it's release as well.
The 2016 date is based of a date for an image in the artbook. It doesn't confirm anything beyond that image was done then. In an interview, Takahashi confirmed that Rex and Pyra's models were made in house and were the first ones done (with the rest being outsourced). Since the planning began in 2014, its unlikely they wouldn't finish the designs until mid2016, especially as the game was shown off in early 2017. In short, there is no confirmation the designs were done in 2016.
Are you in charge of the blog? Where is this music rule coming from like seriously
Observation. There has yet to be any overlap in series music and given how many are left, it doesn't look like there will be any. Not to say it can't happen but it hasn't been broken yet.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
That Pikmin remix is fantastic!

Anyway, Nintendo really can't catch a break with these Direct dates. Hurricane Florence is supposed to be the worst Hurricane hitting the American east coast in years. Don't think it will effect the Direct though since unlike the earthquake, this hurricane is much more predictable and hopefully everyone will evacuate and stay safe. Would be nice if they added a little message about it at the beginning of the Direct for American viewers though.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
The thing about the music stuff is that... there being a music post doesn't invalidade newcomers. Like we saw with Dark Samus, there was no new Metroid track on the website. So even if Geno or Bandana Dee is revealed, they could just go by without new music being added to the site.

But. In this specific case, they actively avoided this week's song, as it would probably tell whatever character was going to be revealed. So it's safe to assume the direct's reveal won't be someone from an existing series. (or at least, an existing ICON, let's not forget Mario has two)
Mario...has two? I'm actually not sure what you are referring to... I need to look up the icons lol

Either reffering to Wrecking Crew or the Metal Mario Mushroom from Smash Bros 64...

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Gosh, what a weird spot for Smash speculation. We've always known that there would be more stuff, but to sort of know how much we might get from the Direct, yet not knowing when this info will be dropped is so... alien.
It has truly been a weird time to say the least.
"Here is a new Smash game teaser." Us 'Oh who didn't make it in the game this time?'
"EVERYONE IS HERE!" Us '.........Ehhhh!?'

"Ridley is revealed" Us 'WHaaaa!?!? HYPE HYPE!'
-time passes-
"Smash Direct coming in August!" Us 'Hmmm who are they gonna show? No way it could be something we ACTUALLY want'
-time passes-
"Starts with Simon and Richter as Echo, 2 echo fighters - Chrom and Dark Samus" Us 'Thats cool! But come on, nintendo you accidentally leaked Simon theres no possib-'
-not even a second-
"KING K. ROOL ANNOUNCED AT THE END OF SMASH DIRECT" Us '.....................HYPE HYPE! Who is in!? Who's likely!? ALL SMASH STANDARDS ARE NULL NOW!!!'
-time passes-
"Hey guys surprise Direct with maybe Smash" Us 'Tell us please!'
-the next day-
"Sorry guys no Direct, dealing with Natural Disaster." Us 'Oh dang, Take your time'
-Time Passes-

The current state of The Boards of Smash 'WE NEED TO KNOW!!! No news of smash makes us something something' 'Go crazy?'

DON'T MIND IF WE DOOOOOO!!!!!

In all seriousness, I am getting back into hype mode.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I don't know why you say that when Sakurai did indeed say not to expect as many newcomers.
There very much are a sort of limited spots for newcomers this game and I don't see why people feel otherwise. I'd genuinely enjoy to see an explanation though. Please change my mind. I'm hopeless.
Sakurai also said not to expect too many newcomers when they announced SSB4...... and we ended up getting 21.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mario...has two? I'm actually not sure what you are referring to... I need to look up the icons lol
In the sound test, Mario has two icons. The second is unquestionably Mario Kart, sense Mario Kart had its own category for music in Stage Builder in both Brawl and Smash 4.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

What a sick roster that'd be. Unfortunately Zanza is a huge spoiler and probably couldn't happen. But I'd enjoy those three more than any of "likely" newcomers we always talk about.
Doubtful Zanza and Sephiroth will happen but again it was all just good fun because I was kind of bored. Black Knight on the other hand definitely has a shot especially as an Echo to Ike.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's not impossible that Rex will make base roster.

It's just highly unlikely on top of having absolutely zero precedence for something like this.

As far as we know, Sakurai very rarely goes off of incomplete games AND puts in a character after the development plan has been finalized on top of being fairly late into development.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
Observation. There has yet to be any overlap in series music and given how many are left, it doesn't look like there will be any. Not to say it can't happen but it hasn't been broken yet.
I'm gonna say it again where is the rule stated on? I'm sounding salty here because I am. This is a ****ing stupid theory

D

Deleted member

I doubt Sakurai cares about spoilers. Considering Sheik and Lucina being playable(not like that lasted long in the FE games themselves tho) and Mecha Fiora being waved at everyone's faces at least thrice now.

Shroob

Sup?
The 2016 date is based of a date for an image in the artbook. It doesn't confirm anything beyond that image was done then. In an interview, Takahashi confirmed that Rex and Pyra's models were made in house and were the first ones done (with the rest being outsourced). Since the planning began in 2014, its unlikely they wouldn't finish the designs until mid2016, especially as the game was shown off in early 2017. In short, there is no confirmation the designs were done in 2016.

So where does Snipperclips and Galaga Medley fit in here?

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai said not to expect too many newcomers when they announced SSB4...... and we ended up getting 21.
The difference is he said that smash4 quote in an interview. This time he said it directly to the viewers in a presentation. Also, development time is a lot shorter this time around.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

I still think it's very unlikely sakurai would choose to add a character as complex as rex and pyra based solely on such early concept art which would be easily subject to change, Pokemon seems to be the sole exception to the rule, there's not much reason to believe he'd do the same for Xenoblade, especially when Elma is already readily available.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Sakurai also said not to expect too many newcomers when they announced SSB4...... and we ended up getting 21.
When did Sakurai say that? I don't remember hearing that last time. I am aware he always works on the current Smash like it'll be the last, but did he say "Don't expect too many new characters in Smash 4?

D

Deleted member

I doubt Sakurai cares about spoilers. Considering Sheik and Lucina being playable(not like that lasted long in the FE games themselves tho) and Mecha Fiora being waved at everyone's faces at least thrice now.
I'm just glad the entire endgame for Xenoblade wasn't spoiled after Lucas's trophy in Brawl. The Bionis trophy could've been much much worse.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Yes, it was on the smash direct even. We're assuming one is for spin-offs/Mario Kart, but the icon itself could always change, who knows.
Oh! I thought you meant another symbol. Yea that's intresting I forgot about that.

I've had an idea that Geno, despite being a Mario character could get a different icon, so maybe that's a place holder? But that seems to telling for Sakurai.

Shroob

Sup?
The difference is he said that smash4 quote in an interview. This time he said it directly to the viewers in a presentation. Also, development time is a lot shorter this time around.
I mean, we already have 8 revealed characters, and if Vergeben is legit, there's 4 more from him.

I dunno, 12 may not be a lot compared to prior games, but it's still a good amount.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
It's not impossible that Rex will make base roster.

It's just highly unlikely on top of having absolutely zero precedence for something like this.

As far as we know, Sakurai very rarely goes off of incomplete games AND puts in a character after the development plan has been finalized on top of being fairly late into development.
This, they do it for Pokemon because A) Pokemon is pokemon, it's one of nintendo's biggest franchises, and the cast is always rotating so having the newest ones is pretty much necessary and B) Pokemon are very simple in design, they don't really have personalities, most of their moveset needs to be made up anyway, you can make a moveset with them based on concept art alone which is exactly what happened with greninja.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
And how he spoiled his own Kid Icarus game twice (maybe more)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
That remix is great and all, but when are they gonna remix the one true Pikmin banger?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm... pretty sure Ultimate's development started the moment DLC for Smash 4 was done, and possibly sooner than that, even. They've had some good time.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Except it isn't really? This may have been made pretty close to Smash 4, but the project plan started in 2015 so it took about as long as any other Smash game.

Had the Wii U not failed we probably wouldn't be getting Ultimate, or the Switch in general, until around 2019 honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom