• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Controversial opinion:

Geno doesn't need a stage if he gets in.

We've seen that Ridley and K.Rool didn't get one, and the only characters to get one are Inklings and Simon, two brand new IPs.

"I" personally believe that Geno would be treated as a Mario character despite his awkward status, and I really just don't think he 'has' to have a stage.

We already has a "Spin-off" Mario music section, so just slap Forest Maze in there and call it a day.
Just make his home stage Paper Mario. It’s fitting because the original Paper Mario was originally going to be “Super Mario RPG 2” before its title got changed.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
View attachment 163326
"9/13. The next update is a little surprise announcement! There might be. Please look forward to it."

Dengeki just reweeted this. We may have our date.
Platinum Train is a mobile game (also on the Switch). Prior tweets indicate that it is going down for Maintenance on the 13th. I wouldn't get your hopes up for this relating to the Direct.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
9/13 is Thursday for Japan while the original time date week was on a Friday. I would assume the date is for Americans to match up with the original date.

Shroob

Sup?
Eh, we heard about Ridley for ten years and still got people excited.
Yeah, but after living through Gematsu.

Like, I have no issue talking about Vergeben/Loz18 characters, but we had such a big stink earlier tonight about how people were "Annoyed" or "Bored" of talking about them, especially when it comes to speculation.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Honestly, I just feel like whoever gets revealed next will make discerning what the final roster will probably look like easier.

If it's Skull Kid, nothing changes really, but it means Loz at least had some credibility.

If it's any of Verg's picks, he's still completely correct.

If it's a curveball, then things will be interesting.
Really hoping its more than one at this point.

Combined with having to wait an extra week and just wanting to kill more than just a few rumors, I really hope there are 2: One at the beginning and one at the end.

Shroob

Sup?
Really hoping its more than one at this point.

Combined with having to wait an extra week and just wanting to kill more than just a few rumors, I really hope there are 2: One at the beginning and one at the end.
Considering the newest site datamining find, that's highly unlikely.

StormC

Smash Hero
If there was only one this month we would only get one.

I doubt they would shift their whole marketing plan up potentially 1-2 months because of a week long delay.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think the biggest issue is going to boil down to this:

If the character we're getting is 'not' a curveball choice, I feel like people are going to complain 'here' like crazy.

If the character is Skull Kid/Incineroar/Isaac, I can hear the moans and groans of "Ugh, how boring. We've heard about that character for months"

Which is really why I wish we had an actual speculation thread and general thread be separate.

People here have shown disappointment in "Discussing the same characters over and over again", but at the same time, to us that want to discuss leaks and ****, it feels a bit unfair to both us, and to them to constantly have to annoy them over this.
The funny thing is that the likes of Skull Kid and Isaac have only been discussed as heavily as they recently have for a little over a month, if anyone gets pissy about an "obvious" reveal then it's because of their own lack of patience, and I don't think we need to care about how those type of people react. Most of the current "safe" picks would have been considered huge curveballs back in May.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think the biggest issue is going to boil down to this:

If the character we're getting is 'not' a curveball choice, I feel like people are going to complain 'here' like crazy.

If the character is Skull Kid/Incineroar/Isaac, I can hear the moans and groans of "Ugh, how boring. We've heard about that character for months"

Which is really why I wish we had an actual speculation thread and general thread be separate.

People here have shown disappointment in "Discussing the same characters over and over again", but at the same time, to us that want to discuss leaks and ****, it feels a bit unfair to both us, and to them to constantly have to annoy them over this.
We do have one.

https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-speculation-discussion.453424/latest

People tend to use this thread for both. More often for speculation.

StormC

Smash Hero
You would be laughed at in February for saying K. Rool, Ridley, and Snake were shoo-ins and that Geno, Isaac and Skull Kid had a shot.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Each Smash Blog post has a number attributed to it, as seen in the URL of the images on the site. For example, here's the address for the second image from the Alolan Exeggutor post.
View attachment 163323
This includes Sakurai's "Memories" post, and any other post on the site. For example, here's the web URL for Toon Link's memories post from today.
View attachment 163324

If we count up Bowser and Toon Link's Fighter posts, that leaves a 3-number gap between Alolan Executor and Bowser.

View attachment 163325

(Found this through PushDustin).

Meaning the Direct was going to have a fighter reveal for sure, one post for the Reveal Trailer being added, one for the Fighter Video, and a third one of some degree. There was no blog update the day of the direct, and it doesn't update on weekends, as we know.
So...a character, some music and an item?

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I’m just sitting here wondering what the “Sakurai Pick” will be.

Hoping we get Geno and Isaac as I like both their games too, and of course my boy Shadow.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
So...a character, some music and an item?
It's most likely going to be:
-The Reveal CGI Trailer
-The "Fighter of the day!" post woth the 30 secs trailer
-The "Memory" post

Edit: :ultgreninja:'ed

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Hoping we get Geno and Isaac as I like both their games too, and of course my boy Shadow.
If you want to get technical, all characters are picked by Sakurai, even offered ones like Snake, since he makes the final decision.

If you mean curveballs like Duck Hunt, we likely won't see them. Sakurai probably won't alienate the hardcore fans after deciding first eight newcomers from their suggestions.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The funny thing is that the likes of Skull Kid and Isaac have only been discussed as heavily as they recently have for a little over a month, if anyone gets pissy about an "obvious" reveal then it's because of their own lack of patience, and I don't think we need to care about how those type of people react. Most of the current "safe" picks would have been considered huge curveballs back in May.
Although I really can’t say this from a personal stand point for Skull Kid, I agree with you for one thing... YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW LONG I WAITED FOR ISAAC!

Sure it gets tiring of hearing Isaac’s and whoever else’s name over and over again, I did too. But seriously, some people don’t understand how long Isaac supporters have been waiting for him. His wait is as comparable as Ridley. Imagine waiting 17 YEARS of waiting and begging for Isaac to finally come true and have him for the first time go against the cast. This is also goes for a lot of other characters as well such as Geno, Banjo, and even newer ones like Elma.

It’s always satisfying when you have a character you pushed so hard for, to FINALLY get that sweet tag line in that trailer where that charcater is on the spotlight.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've always vouched for Balloon Fighter to be the "Sakurai Pick". At this point, who's left that can really WOW us like the Duck Hunt Dog and Wii Fit Trainer? It'd be a good tribute to Iwata, too.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If you want to get technical, all characters are picked by Sakurai, even offered ones like Snake, since he makes the final decision.

If you mean curveballs like Duck Hunt, we likely won't see them. Sakurai probably won't alienate the hardcore fans after deciding first eight newcomers from their suggestions.
I still think we’ll see one, if not in the main game then DLC.

I've always vouched for Balloon Fighter to be the "Sakurai Pick". At this point, who's left that can really WOW us like the Duck Hunt Dog and Wii Fit Trainer? It'd be a good tribute to Iwata, too.
Balloon Fighter would be pretty neat but I think Villager having his shtick kinda hurts that personally.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

I think a "Sakurai Pick" will probably be a RH character, given it's possible they just port over the character assuming if they were heavily worked on during Smash 4's development, or a dark horse/retro pick along the lines of Mach Rider or Ayumi Tachibana. Probably less so for the latter though.

I mean it comes down to what would even be considered a "Sakurai Pick", because the only ones that come to mind are retro characters or "obscure/unique" franchises.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think a "Sakurai Pick" will probably be a RH character, given it's possible they just port over the character assuming if they were heavily worked on during Smash 4's development, or a dark horse/retro pick along the lines of Mach Rider or Ayumi Tachibana. Probably less so for the latter though.

I mean it comes down to what would even be considered a "Sakurai Pick", because the only ones that come to mind are retro characters or "obscure/unique" franchises.
I’d also consider Cloud to be one to an extent considering how titanitcally out of left field it was to many at the time just from the sheer wtf of it. Something that many considered impossible became possible etc.

StormC

Smash Hero
Can Simon not be a "Sakurai pick?" Sakurai said the series was an influence on him as a game designer.

D

Deleted member

Balloon Fighter would be pretty neat but I think Villager having his shtick kinda hurts that personally.
If we can have three Links, I think Sakurai can think of a way to figure out how B. Fighter can use his balloons in some way or another. I think maybe having the same amount of jumps as Kirby, maaaybe same physics as Villager's up-B, but no up-special to propel him upwards (kinda like Yoshi's) could work.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If we can have three Links, I think Sakurai can think of a way to figure out how B. Fighter can use his balloons in some way or another. I think maybe having the same amount of jumps as Kirby, maaaybe same physics as Villager's up-B, but no up-special to propel him upwards (kinda like Yoshi's) could work.
Very fair point. Maybe you could add some Joust mechanics on top of him too.

Essora

Smash Cadet
Agreed, there will be more massively requested characters added but my only issue is that people are too over confident in the amount of newcomers requested.
I expect at least 3 or 4 left with one of them being a WTF/oddball choice since Sakurai likes surprises.

When Sakurai said “don’t expect too many newcomers” he didn’t mean “expect slightly less newcomers” he means too many.
Right. Let's talk strictly numbers, as a fun little exercise.
Super Smash Bros 64. started the series with 12 characters, technically all newcomers.
Melee came out with all 12 veterans, as well as 14 newcomers (counting Sheik and Zelda separately), for a total of 26.
Then, we had Brawl, with 21 veterans and 18 newcomers. (Again, counting all transformations separately), for a total of 39.
Most recently, we had Smash 4, with 37 veterans (this is only two less than Brawl's entire roster.), and a whopping 21 newcomers. This is including DLC, and this brings us to a whopping 58 characters.
Finally, this brings us to what we have with Ultimate so far. We've got a whopping 65 veterans, and 8 newcomers. Bringing us to a total of 73 characters and we're not even done yet.

So, sorry for being long winded, but let's recap here and give you just the numbers without as much fluffy text. "N" will stand for "Newcomer" and "V" will stand for "Veteran".
SSB64: 12N = 12
SSBM: 12V + 14N = 26
SSBB: 21V + 18N = 39
SSB4: 37V + 21N = 58
SSBU: 65V + 8N = 73

I don't know about you guys, but when you lay the numbers out like that and just look at the numbers, it kind of gives a sense of the absolute scale of this game. Will this be the first game where the amount of newcomers is less than the previous games? Sakurai's "don't expect too many newcomers" statement seems to have planted that thought in our minds. If the trend were to continue, we would need at least 22 newcomers, which would be an incredible 87. This seems nearly impossible without extreme padding from Echo Fighters (which already comprise half of our 8 newcomers), but it's a really exciting thought.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
But my boi's Up B DOES propel him upwards in Smash 4. Not a lot, but it's something, and it doesn't put him in free fall :yoshi:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can Simon not be a "Sakurai pick?" Sakurai said the series was an influence on him as a game designer.
I mean, you can even call Ridley "Sakurai pick". Sakurai loves spooky boss fights, included Ridley in last two games with major roles and refused to make him playable before capturing his real, feral nature.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Simon probably is our Sakurai pick. But I also see Rhythm Heaven being one as well, it’s one of the franchises where I feel Sakurai is likely to choose a newcomer for as well.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

I personally think we are going to see a "curve ball" character make it into Ultimate. Sakurai usually tries to compensate for fan demand while delivering on some of his own concepts.
Do I think they'll be as prevalent as compared to other entires?
No.
But I wouldn't completely dismiss them. After all, we've definitely seen him try to fulfill some of his old design concepts and even new ones through ATs and Poké Balls, so I think for the character roster it'll also shine through.
Yeah, I'd definitely consider him as a Sakurai pick. I mean people did want Simon to show up, but as far as I know, it wasn't exactly a huge majority of people given Snake's absence.
Like even coupled alongside Richter, I'd say that he was based off of iconography and Sakurai's decisions alone for the most part.
I mean it is possible.
However, I doubt it's going to happen given that one Up-B is practically Balloon Fighter's concept, alongside the fact we've already seen the stage and music I believe for the game.
If I'm correct, Sakurai never has shown off something tied to a specific character or franchise before their reveal.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Now that I think about it, Balloon Fighter may have more difficult of a time separating himself from Jigglypuff - a literal balloon fighter - then from Villager.

Koopaul

Smash Champion

Do we even know there will be a Sakurai Pick this time? Things seem to be really different this time around.

All the things we expect from Smash are slowly getting thrown out the window.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Anyways, I decided to have my final roster prediction (echoes not included). This is who I’m going for right now:

1. Elma
2. Lycanroc
3. Rhythm Heaven
4. Isaac
5. Geno
6. Lloyd
7. Bandanna Dee

Is seven too much? Anyways, I have Lloyd in here because I think it’s possible that Lloyd may have done well on the ballot, since he did get a mii costume and was popular during the Smash 4 days as well, not to mention he would be easier to negotiate since Bandai is working on the game after all.

Also added Bandanna Dee, not only is he popular, but he seems to be one of the more easier characters to create seeing how he has a simple design and already has a moveset from Kirby to refer to. I can see Sakurai being able to get a couple of memebers of his team to add him into the game a lot more quickly and easily than most of the other characters.

If seven is too much, then I’m torn if I have to cut either Lloyd or Bandanna Dee or both. Elma, Lycanroc (Gen 7), Geno, and Isaac all are very likely in my eyes. Rhythm Heaven less so, however it’s the last two I’m stumped on.

Shroob

Sup?
I really don't expect a "Wacky ZANY" pick this time to be frank.

Going off of the characters we have already.

And going off of what has "Leaked" quote unqoute.

All picks for this game seem to be very fan focused instead of "Doin' it for the lulz".

I don't mind not having a Wii-Fit/Rob kind of pick this game if it means more fanbases get their long-time requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom