• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
On the topic of Undertale, because I can't contain my hate-boner for it, it does a very poor job of making you feel bad for the monsters you kill because they're the ones who attack you. Killing a monster who's trying to kill you first isn't exactly the most complex moral dilemma there is. And even if you go for the genocide route, where it's more likely that you're the one hunting the monsters, its very nature just replaces any kind of emotional impact with having to slog through the same bull**** over and over. You're not getting into a character, which would actually give some impact, you're just filling a quota to complete an ending, completely removing yourself from your character's actions and motivations.

You know what would've made the genocide route more effective? A more in-depth battle system. Give the player more abilities that they get as they level up so that people actually have an incentive. Make the pacifist route more difficult, so that then you can more accurately blame the player for committing genocide just to get stronger and have an easier time. As it stands, the genocide route loses its impact because there's no incentive to do it since you can get through the game just fine at level 1. The only reason people have for doing genocide is to get the ending.

The game is so up its own *** about how smart and meta it is that, with none of the intended impact, it just becomes obnoxious.
Woah, woah! I know that you like that game, but if you hate that, then can you please rant in another thread? It just doesn't seem the right topic here!

That seems likely. Would be nice if we get a nice surprise like we did with Brawl. Those were the days staying up until 3/4am here to find out who the next character will be revealed as a newcomer
For me, I honestly think it's very unlikely. Can't agree with what he said, since it's not possible at the moment, to do these several things. I think a Direct would be better, but let's not rush it.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079

Pick 2, dismiss 2. What are your choices?
Pick Mew, because he looks more like an actual fetus in this design, and Golbat because Kanto really only has two Pokémon that lick now.
20 character roster?
:ultmario::ultkirby::ultlink::ultpikachu:
:ultbowser::ultkingdedede::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo:
:ultdk::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultsamus:
:ultkrool::ultfalcon::ultwolf::ultridley:
:ultpacman::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultsimon:
I'm going to pick off the characters already in the game:
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby:
:ultluigi::ultsamus::ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede:
Unlockable:
:ultganondorf::ultdk::ultfox::ultfalcon:
:ultbowser::ultmarth::ultmewtwo::ultyoshi:
:ultsonic::ultsimon::ultridley::ultpacman:

Last edited:

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
I'm a bit bored. Let's play a game. Imagine you were a director instead of Sakurai, and you had to create a DS version/game of Smash. Which characters would you put, assuming 20 is the limit? Remember, only 4 playable, and 16 unlockable.

Also, Mario, Kirby, Link and Pikachu should be in the roster.
For me:

:ultmario::ultkirby::ultlink::ultpikachu:
Unlockables:
:ultmetaknight::ultcloud::ultdk::ultyoshi::ultganondorf::ultfox::ultmarth::ultroy::ultsimon::ultsamus::ultryu::ultpit::ultdoc::ultmewtwo::ultsonic::ultsnake:
Okay
Playable
:ultmario::ultlink::ultkirby::ultpikachu:
Unlockable
:ultbowser::ultluigi::ultdk::ultvillager::ultpokemontrainer::ultfox::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultganondorf::ultinkling::ultsamus::ultridley::ultdiddy::ultmarth::ultzelda::ultyoshi:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Wait. Guys. I just realized something.

Famitsu is having news on Smash Ultimate.

Necky the fox confirmed.

2565009-necky.jpg

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman

I have a theory. Nintendo will just do the Smash reveal through the Smash website before Famitsu releases their new issue to avoid spoilers, and then they will do the Direct.
Interestingly enough, that article has since been removed. Do with that what you will.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Woah, woah! I know that you like that game, but if you hate that, then can you please rant in another thread? It just doesn't seem the right topic here!
People were talking about Undertale and its writing when I was writing that, so I just shared my two cents on the topic.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
People were talking about Undertale and its writing when I was writing that, so I just shared my two cents on the topic.
Understandable, I do still think it's not relevant to Smash here though. We were about to talk about that theory that IGuessItsOver IGuessItsOver talked about.

So... who do we think is the character being announced? My bet's on Incineroar...
Hello, new duo! I think Skull Kid will be announced. After all, the clock's ticking...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll never say Undertale is a bad game, because it isn't. But good god is it overrated.
Aside from the issues I already mentioned, it tries to present itself as an RPG even though the battle system can barely be called one and the stats and equipment are completely pointless because it's all OHKOs from your side or the enemy's. It's a deeply flawed system and makes it seem more like they're trying to mock RPGs for the way they handle the deconstruction of its tropes.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Understandable, I do still think it's not relevant to Smash here though. We were about to talk about that theory that IGuessItsOver IGuessItsOver talked about.
The thread goes off topic a lot anyways. Also writing that on a phone took longer than it should've, obvs.
For my thoughts on the thing with Famitsu, I kind of echo the sentiment that it's possible, considering the Robin/Lucina reveal trailer was a thing.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Golbat and Exeggutor are GOATs.

I really like Crobat, so I don't really get scared of Golbat's. It's a bit funny. Imagine that in 3D.

Mew... has an interesting design. I wonder what would happen if the design stayed like that, in the games, movies, and Smash too. Imagine this in 3D.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Getting Skull Kid as a playable character when Ghirahim got the Assist Trophy treatment again... What an offensive idea!

I mean it would still be awesome but I demand one-shot villain equality!

Last edited:

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
I'll never say Undertale is a bad game, because it isn't. But good god is it overrated.
Aside from the issues I already mentioned, it tries to present itself as an RPG even though the battle system can barely be called one and the stats and equipment are completely pointless because it's all OHKOs from your side or the enemy's. It's a deeply flawed system and makes it seem more like they're trying to mock RPGs for the way they handle the deconstruction of its tropes.
You're nicer to the game than me, clearly. lol

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Interestingly enough, that article has since been removed. Do with that what you will.
Probably because people are making the wrong asspyuon of the next Famitsu magazine. They are looking at this past weeks which did have a smash article and for whatever reason they a week in advance. I don't get it...

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
So... who do we think is the character being announced? My bet's on Incineroar...
I'm still getting on Skull Kid next. All of the Skull Kid related stuff recently would be weird if he wasn't revealed next. I think we'll get our new Pokemon when LGPE's release is near.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
People are talking about grima or something for Robin's new final smash. Why can't it just be pair up with a different character? He could summon Morgan or Tharja.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Source?
If you're just randomly saying this, that's not very fair to people who are trusting you.
It's just my prediction. I'm sorry for randomly saying it, that was impolite of me. But I do have a feeling that Nintendo will say something in about six minutes. I have seen Nintendo randomly tweeting after three hours of inactivity.

D

Deleted member

I literally cannot trust people who would put Ganondorf over Zelda in hypothetical limited rosters

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Dunno if it's been talked about yet, and it may be a bit off-topic, but Ubisoft really knows how to handle Nintendo's property well.

First, it was an out-of-the-blue crossover between the Rabbids and Super Mario characters that was hated until it actually released and was deemed a surprisingly good game

Now? Most people are saying they should pitch Ubisoft in on the creation of a new Star Fox game for their extremely well-done implementation of the characters in StarLink. Even I have to admit that it's very charming.
Nintendo is starting to figure out an effective way of beefing up their library. Third-parties can make the game, while Nintendo can provide a popular franchise that will attract consumers.

It's a smart move overall. Might not be as big of a profit as they're used to, but at least their first-party studios have a massive weight off their shoulder this way. Hope to see more companies get involved in the future.

D

Deleted member

People are talking about grima or something for Robin's new final smash. Why can't it just be pair up with a different character? He could summon Morgan or Tharja.
I don't get why people suggest Tharja when her crush is canonically one-sided, she has nothing over other Awakening characters.
It's gonna be Morgan if they keep Pair Up

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I do wonder why the title has "beware spoilers" and all of you cry of the potential Famitsu reveals when all you have been doing for the last summer has been reading every leak ever.

D

Deleted member

I gotta say, after a bit of a drought, the Switch is about to get some real good ****. Before Smash, we're gonna have Pokemon, Civilization and Diablo in one month. YIKES. I don't expect my wallet to survive at all before Smash Ultimate.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't get why people suggest Tharja when her crush is canonically one-sided, she has nothing over other Awakening characters.
It's gonna be Morgan if they keep Pair Up
Well she's a stalker who is obcessed with Robin either way and she is vastly more popular than Morgan. I think it could go either way.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't get why people suggest Tharja when she can't even be in the game for being an E10+ killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom