• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I must say I really liked the ideas in the fake PokéFloats stage, making the Pokémon actually look like balloons and having the background be much more busy than just being a pink void makes it feel like a proper modernization of an otherwise cheap stage, but the changes aren't too drastic, so it still evokes that nostalgic feeling. Kudos to the faker for at least having good ideas.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
@ that poke floats 2 pic being able to make such a good looking pic anbd stumbling on something as simple as the kirby icon is pretty astounding. Like so close mate better luck next time.

Anyway Verge is a lot tamer than people think, he's only said 2 echo fighters, one that makes perfect sense (ken) and one that's a bit more wild but does make sense in the grand scheme of things (Isabelle) and 2 vauge statements he can't be conlcusive about yet but most people already sorta were guessing anyway. If verge is wrong techincally, he might be right anyway by playing the probability game. This is not like the Gemastu guy where he dived right in and said the Trainer from Wii Fit was gonna be a playable fighter.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Similarly, "we're getting a Pokemon" is something that a lot of people believe. It's an ultimate safe guess. And saying "it's not one of these three" isn't that much of a risk, considering that there are some 800 others to choose from. Odds are pretty good that if we're getting a Pokemon, any three randomly chosen Pokemon would not be chosen.
If we're getting a new pokemon, it's almost certainly going to be a generation 7 'mon, and there aren't that many of those. Saying it's not going to be Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Mimikyu - all very popular Gen 7 pokemon - is actually a little on the bold side. Those three certainly weren't just "randomly chosen". In fact, Decidueye was probably the most popular Pokemon prediction until Verg said it wasn't happening.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Agreed, I can see Skull Kid either way. He's currently one of the most popular predictions due to seeing the Moon as an AT, but no Skull Kid AT and Skull Kid not being a part of the Moon AT. So it's a safe guess for someone without any information who is trying to maintain a reputation.

Similarly, "we're getting a Pokemon" is something that a lot of people believe. It's an ultimate safe guess. And saying "it's not one of these three" isn't that much of a risk, considering that there are some 800 others to choose from. Odds are pretty good that if we're getting a Pokemon, any three randomly chosen Pokemon would not be playable.

They've both waffled on info, acted coy, outright trolled, etcetera. That's not typical behaviour for leakers (or the way either of them behaved when they gave their accurate info).

Their guesses may be accurate, but they're just that. Guesses.

Eh, they forgot to give Bandana Dee a shadow. 7/10
Agreed, I can see Skull Kid either way. He's currently one of the most popular predictions due to seeing the Moon as an AT, but no Skull Kid AT and Skull Kid not being a part of the Moon AT. So it's a safe guess for someone without any information who is trying to maintain a reputation.

Similarly, "we're getting a Pokemon" is something that a lot of people believe. It's an ultimate safe guess. And saying "it's not one of these three" isn't that much of a risk, considering that there are some 800 others to choose from. Odds are pretty good that if we're getting a Pokemon, any three randomly chosen Pokemon would not be playable.

They've both waffled on info, acted coy, outright trolled, etcetera. That's not typical behaviour for leakers (or the way either of them behaved when they gave their accurate info).

Now on this point, I'll have to disagree.

If Verg ends up being right, it's not fair to say his choices would be guesses when, in this theoretical scenario, he'd have gotten all his picks correct.

And to the point of the Pokemon, if it IS Incineroar, that gives him a small nudge of credibility.

VERY FEW people actually wanted Incineroar before he said "One of my sources said Incineroar"; it was all about Decidueye. If Incineroar gets in, not only was it an incredibly unsafe guess, but it was going against the popular pick.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Some stuff related to the Direct leaked through other means. The Mega Man demo is out, and FFXV Mobile is coming to Switch. A couple other things, maybe? Nothing on Smash, though.
Okay. I was sensing some strong memes there.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
FFXV Mobile? I'm pretty sure it was FFXV Pocket Edition...
Sorry. Didn't care enough about it to remember the title.

Now on this point, I'll have to disagree.

If Verg ends up being right, it's not fair to say his choices would be guesses when, in this theoretical scenario, he'd have gotten all his picks correct.

And to the point of the Pokemon, if it IS Incineroar, that gives him a small nudge of credibility.

VERY FEW people actually wanted Incineroar before he said "One of my sources said Incineroar"; it was all about Decidueye. If Incineroar gets in, not only was it an incredibly unsafe guess, but it was going against the popular pick.
Very few people still want Incineroar. "Expect" is not the same thing as "want".

Shroob

Sup?
Sorry. Didn't care enough about it to remember the title.

Very few people still want Incineroar. "Expect" is not the same thing as "want".
Which doesn't disprove what I said.

If it's Incineroar, not only is it going against the popular picks, it's also picking the right Pokemon out of a sea of potential candidates, which aren't 'that' hard to do this gen, but I would in no way blow off Verg's picks as "Easy guesses" if he ends up being completely correct.

Of course, there's always the chance he gets **** wrong, but if Gematsu has taught us anything, is you can be wrong and still end up being right in the end.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

There are over 800 Pokémon yes, but let's not pretend that they're all contenders, Finneon isn't going to be playable. Being generous there were about 8 or so actual candidates for the spot at the start, and Vergeben dismissed the three clear favorites, so it's not that safe of a bet.

And boy, if you think Vergeben isn't acting like a typical leaker, you should have seen the leakers for Brawl. One of them was completely infatuated with Peach, he didn't even really care so much about the stuff he actually leaked, he just wanted Peach in her sports outfit lol, it would be like if Memoryman was an actual leaker. Then there was the huge mess with ChaosZero on GameFAQs, and yeah, Vergeben is keeping things pretty tame in comparison. Loz18 is getting there, so I don't really trust him either, but even then I've seen worse. It's worth remembering that the people who actually share this information aren't obligated to act professionally, they're not the source of it, they just happen to know someone who knows stuff, they could be a completely regular Nintendo fan just like you and me.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So if Famitsu is released on Wednesday/Thursdays I expect the direct to be early next week.
(Sunday/Monday, more likely Monday/Tuesday).

Unless, and I've asked a couple times so idk if anyone knows this, does Famitsu always immediately cover what happened in a direct? If there's any lag normally then Nintendo might not be in as much of a rush.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There's kind of a strange relationship behind "expect" and "want" during Smash speculation. People tend to be a lot more vocal about wanting a character when they have reasons to expect it. Just because people didn't talk about Incineroar before doesn't mean no one out there wanted it - as controversial as he is, that Pokemon still has plenty of fans out there.

Shroob

Sup?
There's kind of a strange relationship behind "expect" and "want" during Smash speculation. People tend to be a lot more vocal about wanting a character when they have reasons to expect it. Just because people didn't talk about Incineroar before doesn't mean no one out there wanted it - as controversial as he is, that Pokemon still has plenty of fans out there.
Literally Shulk in Smash4. :p

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Which doesn't disprove what I said.

If it's Incineroar, not only is it going against the popular picks, it's also picking the right Pokemon out of a sea of potential candidates, which aren't 'that' hard to do this gen, but I would in no way blow off Verg's picks as "Easy guesses" if he ends up being completely correct.

Of course, there's always the chance he gets **** wrong, but if Gematsu has taught us anything, is you can be wrong and still end up being right in the end.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but to my knowledge Verge never actually said Incineroar. I know he didn’t at first. He just said it wasn’t Mimikyu, Decidueye, or one other that I can’t remember. It was all the people treating him like a prophet who claimed Incineroar.

Heck, if he DID call incineroar, I’m guessing it was just because literally everyone else was saying it at that point.

But if we get Salazzle, and Verge goes “see? Not one of those three” I am not impressed.

Leakers give information, they don’t hide it, which is what he did at first. He has no credibility to me.

Shroob

Sup?
Correct me if I’m wrong, but to my knowledge Verge never actually said Incineroar. I know he didn’t at first. He just said it wasn’t Mimikyu, Decidueye, or one other that I can’t remember. It was all the people treating him like a prophet who claimed Incineroar.

Heck, if he DID call incineroar, I’m guessing it was just because literally everyone else was saying it at that point.

But if we get Salazzle, and Verge goes “see? Not one of those three” I am not impressed.

Leakers give information, they don’t hide it, which is what he did at first. He has no credibility to me.
Verg has claimed that "One of my sources said Incineroar", and just recently, he doubled down on he himself believing it to be Incineroar, so if he's selling crazy, he believes in what he's selling at least.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This is true. If a character is implicated in a plausible leak, their popularity shoots up ridiculously.

And as a corollary to this - People tend to immediately shut down conversation about any unlikely characters, so only that character's biggest fans will give them the time of day.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, pretty much everything seems to be leaking now...

I want to say "Keep the Smash stuff hidden!", but at the same time I'm ****ing ravenous for the character(s).

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
so will the direct be shortened down to remove the redundant stuff or will it be kept as is.

I would guess the latter, but they're almost certainly gonna rewrite and record some lines so they don't say things like Mega Man 11 Demo is out today or so on so maybe they do change some stuff.

It's gonna be somewhat funny watching clickbait videos accusing them of repeating info they already know tho

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can't believe I missed the 4000th page. ,

What else did I missed? Appearently some games from the direct have been leaked.

Shroob

Sup?
My biggest question is who, or how, the character(s) will leak if it's pre-Famitsu.

They delayed the blog post, meaning we don't have to worry about the blog spoiling it, but I know one intern-kun is just dying to be fired.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom