• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Pichu needs to be garbage so we get more satisfaction with his success. I won't accept another low tier Roy though.

kylexv

Smash Master
No blog post yet:

Probably just reading into things too much, but that means they were probably planning an announcement of some sort. That is, if the blog hasn't updated by the time I wake up tomorrow (7 a.m. EST).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I thereby declare this to be our leak-busting victory song.

(I'm contemplating to switch on Space Jam-version, but that infamously jamming theme from what is considered crudest of bootleggy games trying to pass off as official, fits really well.)
Incidentally, I had thought earlier today that the Cheetahmen were the among the few Western characters to not be elligible for Smash at all, since they never stood a chance in the gaming market in the first place.

Does it always update at exactly the same time every day or should we wait ~1 more hour max to see what happens?
I'd say wait at least until 10.

If nothing happens, well...

Di16Dr_U8AEJjdR.jpg

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm just hoping I don't have so many chars mained be low-tiers again this time - and probably explore new kinds from previous installments incase they're getting buffed (:ultzelda:).

But yeah, mid-tier to up would be great to have across the board for me.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I talked about this a bit on the Shantae thread, but is it bad to not want characters from Western franchises to be playable characters?

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
No blog post yet:

Probably just reading into things too much, but that means they were probably planning an announcement of some sort. That is, if the blog hasn't updated by the time I wake up tomorrow (7 a.m. EST).
They'll probably won't post anything for a while to pay respects for the earthquake victims (Similar to what their doing with the direct)!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Do you want the SAKUBIAS complaints to hit full force again?

Because that's how you get that.
It’ll be worth Pit being the main hero, like Kirby in the SSE (or Sonic saving all of gaming)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I talked about this a bit on the Shantae thread, but is it bad to not want characters from Western franchises to be playable characters?
Yes.

Because it's lying about the world of gaming as a whole. Those characters can be just as deserving and iconic.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Tinfoil Hat Theory:

There definitely was meant to be some type of reveal but they're scattering to pull a substitute until next time.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I mean...that's kind of an odd hatred. What's the reason?
Well, I'm not really a fan of Western characters. I'm an otaku who likes Japanese characters, and I personally just don't really like the design of Western characters like Sora or Rayman or Crash. Of course, it's different with Diddy Kong and K Rool since they're from DK. But Sakurai has never made Western franchises playable (Shovel Knight is a great example), so I'm not sure if he'd actually do that or not

I'd love to hear the reason because that's super odd and specific.
Well, I'm not really a fan of Western characters. I'm an otaku who likes Japanese characters, and I personally just don't really like the design of Western characters like Sora or Rayman or Crash. Of course, it's different with Diddy Kong and K Rool since they're from DK. But Sakurai has never made Western franchises playable (Shovel Knight is a great example), so I'm not sure if he'd actually do that or not

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Tinfoil Hat Theory:

There definitely was meant to be some type of reveal but they're scattering to pull a substitute until next time.
I doubt that's much of a tinfoil hat theory at this point.

They'll probably just slap up a veteran or item at this rate, if we even get one at all.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
:ultlittlemac: yeah man if only :ultdarksamus:
i know this is half-wrong but you get the point

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yes.

Because it's lying about the world of gaming as a whole. Those characters can be just as deserving and iconic.
But Sakurai has never done that before, so would that mean that he's ignoring the world of gaming as a whole by not making Western franchises playable?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I at least want to get my boi out of that "lower mid-tier" blind spot where characters in that position are basically not talked about...
I don't think a reasonable person could claim that Yoshi is below the halfway mark in 4 so you're already not in that situation. Just because Yoshi didn't work out to be a top character like he kinda seemed to some at first doesn't mean he instantly sucked; he was still pretty strong overall.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

Smash is a celebration of gaming, not Japan.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Tinfoil Hat Theory:

Doubt it. The JP magazine that will be coming out next week are already probably about to be printed. They can't do a last minute substitute.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Then yeah, this is bad. Grouping all westerners together and dismissing all of their characters is really lame.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

It's almost like Nintendo is a Japanese company. Since the 1900's.
So all their games would be Japanese.
Every single one.

I couldn't disagree more with your reasoning but it's your own opinion I suppose.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Tinfoil Hat Theory:

today's update should have been the character revealed in the delayed Direct. Always the first update post-announcement is a new fighter

Shroob

Sup?
But Sakurai has never done that before, so would that mean that he's ignoring the world of gaming as a whole by not making Western franchises playable?
Sakurai keeps 'never doing it before!'

And time and time again, he ends up doing it regardless of what fan-created rules say.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Doubt it. The JP magazine that will be coming out next week are already probably about to be printed. They can't do a last minute substitute.
Think he means a last minute substitute for the website update today, not the actual direct.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I don't think a reasonable person could claim that Yoshi is below the halfway mark in 4 so you're already not in that situation. Just because Yoshi didn't work out to be a top character like he kinda seemed to some at first doesn't mean he instantly sucked; he was still pretty strong overall.
He IS below the halfway mark in 4 (34 out of 55), but it's the way that tier list is structured that results in the confusion...

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
:ultlittlemac: yeah man if only :ultdarksamus:
i know this is half-wrong but you get the point
Little Mac was created by Genyo Takeda, who is not Western, and Dark Samus, though made by Americans, is from Metroid, a Japanese series. I'm talking about Western franchises

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If said Western franchise performs well in Japan I’d imagine he would welcome the idea. He wanted to put Banjo & Kazooie in Melee and they’re developed by a Western company, their games were only published by Nintendo at the time (now belonging to Microsoft, which is also western)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
No, it just means his priorities and eyes have been focused on the other side of the world as a large chunk of the world's gaming companies DO come from that side of the world.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Little Mac was created by Genyo Takeda, who is not Western, and Dark Samus, though made by Americans, is from Metroid, a Japanese series. I'm talking about Western franchises
Again, there aren't Western characters because Nintendo is a Japanese company. I don't know why you think Sakurai has a rule against it simply because he's adding characters from the Japanese companies games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom