• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
He IS below the halfway mark in 4 (34 out of 55), but it's the way that tier list is structured that results in the confusion...
Yoshi never got the tournament results that could've given him a better tier placement because his playerbase in 4 is nonexistent. Diddy Kong's tier placement was carried by Zero and honestly Yoshi never got anything like that.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Little Mac was created by Genyo Takeda, who is not Western, and Dark Samus, though made by Americans, is from Metroid, a Japanese series. I'm talking about Western franchises
You're not making sense to me. You said you don't like Western characters but they're somehow ok if they're from a franchise that was originally Japanese? Why? I don't see logic behind this.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Out of curiosity, how well did Shantae’s and Banjo’s games do in Japan?

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Sakurai keeps 'never doing it before!'

And time and time again, he ends up doing it regardless of what fan-created rules say.
Sakurai has never made a character from a western franchise playable. What character from a western franchise is playable? Diddy Kong, K Rool, and Dark Samus are from Japanese games, not Western games.

Shroob

Sup?
Speaking of the bear and the bird....

Despite playing both Banjo Kazooie games(Silence, there's only 2).... is it wrong that the only song I remember from them is the song from Grunty's Lair in 1?

Like, I can hum Windy from Conker or a lot of DK64's music tracks all the time, but I just can't remember a lot of Banjo music.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm not really a fan of Western characters. I'm an otaku who likes Japanese characters, and I personally just don't really like the design of Western characters like Sora or Rayman or Crash. Of course, it's different with Diddy Kong and K Rool since they're from DK. But Sakurai has never made Western franchises playable (Shovel Knight is a great example), so I'm not sure if he'd actually do that or not

Well, I'm not really a fan of Western characters. I'm an otaku who likes Japanese characters, and I personally just don't really like the design of Western characters like Sora or Rayman or Crash. Of course, it's different with Diddy Kong and K Rool since they're from DK. But Sakurai has never made Western franchises playable (Shovel Knight is a great example), so I'm not sure if he'd actually do that or not
Interesting, cause Sora was designed by Tetsuya Nomura...

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I personally just don't really like the design of Western characters like Sora
Western characters like Sora
You do know that Sora was designed by Tetsuya Normura, the same person who designed Cloud?

He's not a "western" character at all.

EDIT: :ultgreninja:'d by Majora's Visage Majora's Visage , but the point still stands.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Again, there aren't Western characters because Nintendo is a Japanese company. I don't know why you think Sakurai has a rule against it simply because he's adding characters from the Japanese companies games.
I'm not saying it's a rule, I'm just saying he's never done it, which makes me wonder if characters like Rayman or Banjo and Kazooie have any chances at all, being from Western games

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Sakurai has never made a character from a western franchise playable. What character from a western franchise is playable? Diddy Kong, K Rool, and Dark Samus are from Japanese games, not Western games.
Your logic is incredibly strange. Yes, Donkey Kong as a franchise started in Japan, but the DKC games were created from scratch elsewhere. For all intents and purposes, Diddy and K.Rool are not japanese characters and they aren't from a Japanese game.

I honestly think your viewpoint is disrespectful to all of the talented creators in other parts of the world.

I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're missing out on some great stuff by ignoring everything that comes from outside of Japan.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Yoshi never got the tournament results that could've given him a better tier placement because his playerbase in 4 is nonexistent. Diddy Kong's tier placement was carried by Zero and honestly Yoshi never got anything like that.
I K N O W

It didn't help with the Wall's semi-retirement (and numerous name changes)...

Shroob

Sup?
*Yet.

Just because it's never happened before, doesn't mean it's impossible.

We still have several reveals to go. If Banjo gets in, your argument is completely invalid.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If you dislike western characters just because you just dislike those individual characters, that's okay.

If you dislike western characters because they're western, that's not okay.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Interesting, cause Sora was designed by Tetsuya Nomura...
I didn't know that. I just hear that Kingdom Hearts is owned primarily by Disney
*Yet.

Just because it's never happened before, doesn't mean it's impossible.

We still have several reveals to go. If Banjo gets in, your argument is completely invalid.
You're right, it would be invalid.

Last edited:

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
I K N O W

It didn't help with the Wall's semi-retirement (and numerous name changes)...
People constantly said that Robs were a dying breed but honestly at least we had 8BitMan and WaDi to represent us. Yoshi had almost nobody.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
I am surprised how well the delay has been handled so far we have only had one title leak and a 3rd party demo dropped.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm not saying it's a rule, I'm just saying he's never done it, which makes me wonder if characters like Rayman or Banjo and Kazooie have any chances at all, being from Western games
Dark Samus iis a Western character no matter how much you deny it. This means Sakurai's totally fine adding in Western characters.
So, those two characters? Being Western is the very, VERY least of their worries.

This does seem a bit disrespectful. Did you know Avatar: The Last Airbender, one of the pinnacles of 2000's animation, and one of the most beloved animated shows ever, was entirely Western?
Think on that.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Have not popped in for a while because of school and things, but I just wanted to say I'd be shocked if nothing gets out after today. One of the websites for one of the countries is going to slip up.

On a side note, have the websites been updated since what was supposed to be the time of the direct at all?

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I don't think this is appropriate at all. A terrible event just swept over Japan and we should wait for Nintendo as long as they need, as to respect what Japan is going through right now.
Didn't mean to disrespect the japanese, but Nintendo is already paying respects by not showing the Direct. The least they could do is update the Smash Blog.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
If you dislike western characters just because you just dislike those individual characters, that's okay.

And Shantae is my second most wanted character, but she's the only Western character I like, because I don't like the designs of any other Western characters. I'm just not a fan of the art style of Western characters aside from Shantae, but is that a bad thing?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
He IS below the halfway mark in 4 (34 out of 55), but it's the way that tier list is structured that results in the confusion...
The official tier list is not accurate to how the game actually is. Yoshi is significantly better than he's ranked on that tier list in reality. He belongs in B tier easily as do Ness and Luigi and honestly probably Duck Hunt too. Of course there's cultural factors that influence the rate at which characters are played and since Yoshi underwhelmed at first and didn't get direct buffs people underrate him; it's how humans operate, but it has nothing to do with how good Yoshi actually is which is only a property of the game and has nothing to do with which characters are popularly used competitively...

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know that. I just hear that Kingdom Hearts is owned primarily by Disney
Same character designer who made Cloud, as well as a host of a majority of the Final Fantasy characters. Should look into some of the characters that exist. Not only is Nomura the character designer for Kingdom Hearts, he is also the director of the games

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So you disliked him solely because you thought that being owned by Disney made him a Western character? You didn't even think to learn more about the character because of that?

I'm going to reiterate this because that sounds like straight-up racism.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Well, I'm not really a fan of Western characters. I'm an otaku who likes Japanese characters, and I personally just don't really like the design of Western characters like Sora or Rayman or Crash.
Sora was created by Tetsuya Nomura, though. Even his name is Japanese for “Sky”.

:ultgreninja:‘d as usual.

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Dark Samus iis a Western character no matter how much you deny it. This means Sakurai's totally fine adding in Western characters.
So, those two characters? Being Western is the very, VERY least of their worries.

This does seem a bit disrespectful. Did you know Avatar: The Last Airbender, one of the pinnacles of 2000's animation, and one of the most beloved animated shows ever, was entirely Western?
Think on that.
It's not entirely Western. The animation was done in South Korea.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Didn't mean to disrespect the japanese, but Nintendo is already paying respects by not showing the Direct. The least they could do is update the Smash Blog.
Uh...
I'm not sure you understand the magnitude of the situation?

10 confirmed deaths, hundreds upon hundreds of injuries, numerous people missing, huge wrecks of debris. It was a 6.8 magnitude earthquake.

Nintendo doesn't owe us a thing right now.

It's not entirely Western. The animation was done in South Korea.
Thank you for correcting me. I do think it has enough Western contributions to qualify as more of a Western cartoon, but it's up for debate.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
So you disliked him solely because you thought that being owned by Disney made him a Western character? You didn't even think to learn more about the character because of that?

I'm going to reiterate this because that sounds like straight-up racism.
No, I dislike Sora because I don't like the way he's designed.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It amuses me that an action JRPG would be misconstrued as being a Western franchise when it's put out by a very Eastern company. And they're the ones who majorily care for and put out the games and merch for said franchise even with the Disney involvement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom