• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
The Direct will be aired next week? Friday? I feel like the information about some games and the Nintendo Online Service... needs to be put out reaaally soon.
They've already revealed the most important parts of the the Online service so they're in no real hurry.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Misread your post? You shouldn’t have even posted it in the first place before people go and call you out on it

Excuse me? I’m going to discuss this with you via PM.
F-For the first sentence, I-I wasn't actually this much mad. I was still a little angry, but also sad. I'm not going to curse Nintendo just for that delay. Nintendo better care for the others, n-not just putting up a direct...

I-I can't believe you're actually a bit rude to me...All I said was that I feel bad, did not mean to be rude...... :crying:

I have never s-seen you so rude...

Ah, 502 Error Message. Long time no see old pal :yoshi:
Seems like there are a lot of traffic here, after the delay.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I see Serebii showing up and basically restating his tweet has gotten some people to come around on his point.

No wonder echo rebranding worked so well. :p

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Probably a combination of both to be honest.

There have been times when Directs have aired shortly following disasters globally that have been like this. The decision would not have been taken lightly due to so many embargoes, releases etc. being timed with it.

Hopefully all in Hokkaido are going to do well :) That's what matters most of all
Whoa, this is quite a surprise to see you around here! Big fan of your site

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Damn. I was looking forward to the Direct being the last thing before I go back to school after the Summer.
Anyway, that's obviously not important. Best wishes to everyone in Hokkaido.

Also, anyone remember that LoZ said "Lower your expectations" last night?

Shroob

Sup?
Damn. I was looking forward to the Direct being the last thing before I go back to school after the Summer.

I highly doubt he predicted the direct would be delayed.

link2702

Smash Champion
I just woke up and bad news is the first thing I hear...

Idk exactly where hokkaido is, is Nintendo of japan there? I know it’s gotta be close since someone posted an image of the Nintendo building damaged, so I’m kinda worried if everyone there is ok.

While 8 people already dead is not good, Disasters like this could always be worse, so hopefully that number stays low..

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Idk exactly where hokkaido is, is Nintendo of japan there? I know it’s gotta be close since someone posted an image of the Nintendo building damaged, so I’m kinda worried if everyone there is ok.

While 8 people already dead is not good, Disasters like this could always be worse, so hopefully that number stays low..
Hokkaido is the large northern island in Japan.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
I highly doubt he predicted the direct would be delayed.
The quake did hit hours before he said that, it's highly possible he was aware of the plan. Anyway, it's ridiculously insensitive to use a tragedy to try and ascertain whether a video game leaker is real or not, so I'll stop.

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
The Direct was delayed, eh? Completely understandable. Japan's been going through a lot of nasty stuff anyway. Safety absolutely comes first.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

I don't think it connects to the Direct being delayed. Mother Nature happened to where it was unpreventable.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Probably a combination of both to be honest.

There have been times when Directs have aired shortly following disasters globally that have been like this. The decision would not have been taken lightly due to so many embargoes, releases etc. being timed with it.

Hopefully all in Hokkaido are going to do well :) That's what matters most of all
Havent seen you post here since the brawl days, wish it was under better circumstances.

Agreed the people of Hokkaido are whats important right now.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
The delay is sad but necessary. You never know when nature will strike so there’s no use in being mad. I just wonder when it is coming. Probably next week?

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman

Nintendo's in Kyoto where they got battered by a strong typhoon, they're actually OK but the rest of Kansai is a mess.

Hokkaido's far away from the typhoon but Nintendo delayed their stuff for Hokkaido.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Assuming the character trailer was an offending item (Isaac's PSY Earthquake powers or even Skull Kid's), this delay could be a while. They can't just swap out the reveal trailer for another one as that would contradict the fighter order in the actual game (which is of course in reveal order).

GreatRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neodragon22
3DS FC
3007-8564-4279
My condolences to everyone currently in Japan. While it isn't too surprising that Japan has a lot of natural disasters than usual countries, this one was, according to what i've read on the internet, a very serious event. Not only was this a 6.7 magnitude earthquake that struck Hokkaido, but a big typhoon too at the same time, I'm kinda glad Nintendo delayed the direct in order to support Japan through this tragedy. The lives of others are more important than video games.

My prayers are sent to everyone in Japan and those who have friends and relatives there too.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Assuming the character trailer was an offending item (Isaac's PSY Earthquake powers or even Skull Kid's), this delay could be a while. They can't just swap out the reveal trailer for another one as that would contradict the fighter order in the actual game (which is of course in reveal order).
I doubt any Smash related thing will be cut from the Direct. If anything will be removed from the Direct it will be a game that has a lot of disasters or death in it.

If there was, say, a Wonderful 101 Switch port, that might be cut from the Direct because the footage shows people in peril.

Another change will probably be an added message from the CEO sending his condolences before the Direct starts.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Actually, this is a good point.

They literally cannot just 'swap' the revealed character if said character really is part of the insensitive content due to the fighter number being the same as the CSS order.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll put money on the delay having to do with 5 million people not having power rather than potentially insensitive content in the Direct.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
I doubt any Smash related thing will be cut from the Direct. If anything will be removed from the Direct it will be a game that has a lot of disasters or death in it.

If there was, say, a Wonderful 101 Switch port, that might be cut from the Direct because the footage shows people in peril.

Another change will probably be an added message from the CEO sending his condolences before the Direct starts.
That's my point. They're unlikely to cut Smash content (due to how big it is), and they can't swap it out, so it could be weeks before we get this direct - assuming the Smash trailer is "too soon", as it were.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
I just hope that the new date is still at 6 pm est, but if that is too inconvenient for the people of Japan then I understand no problem.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's my point. They're unlikely to cut Smash content (due to how big it is), and they can't swap it out, so it could be weeks before we get this direct - assuming the Smash trailer is "too soon", as it were.
Unless the Direct touches on the online, which is more time-sensitive.

Nintendo might be in a bind here. Past the obvious scrambling to reschedule embargoes and PR.

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
Damn, this is the last thing I was expecting to wake up to. It's unfortunate that the Direct was delayed, but it's a thousand times more unfortunate that lives were lost. One is too many.

My prayers are with the living and my condolences are with the deceased.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I should also note that Nintendo probably wanted this to be a "surprise" direct, announcing it the day before it was planned to be aired, so this delay makes that magic kinda wear off. And Hokkaido is pretty far away from Nintendo's HQ, so they weren't exactly in a big danger either. They had nothing to gain, only a lot to lose with this kind of delay, so it was really just very respectful of them to do this to show their condolences to the victims. It just shows what their genuine priorities are, and I really respect that.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Man, this is terrible news to wake up to.

I hope the people of Hokkaido are okay.

Also, congratulations to Zinith Zinith for making the Rankings Team.

Shroob

Sup?
Unless the Direct touches on the online, which is more time-sensitive.

Nintendo might be in a bind here. Past the obvious scrambling to reschedule embargoes and PR.
If Smash is part of the offender, they could just cut the reveal trailers out and release them ala Robin and Lucina at a later date, no?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, while I still haven't been able to get in contact with my friend or figure out if he lives anywhere near Hokkaido I do see that he was "last on 4 hours ago" so I'm thinking he's probably fine.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Smash is part of the offender, they could just cut the reveal trailers out and release them ala Robin and Lucina at a later date, no?
Under that paradigm they could, but honestly it'd make more sense to just cut out the online part and air that sooner.

Well, while I still haven't been able to get in contact with my friend or figure out if he lives anywhere near Hokkaido I do see that he was "last on 4 hours ago" so I'm thinking he's probably fine.
Best of luck on making contact, Psycho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom