• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Something I was thinking about.

In the 8/8 Direct, after Sakurai showcased Chrom and Dark Samus, he said, quote: "We have a few more characters to show you before release".

Now, "a few" generally means "three (or more)", at least where I come from. (You'd be surprised how many people don't actually know that)

That's not even getting into him deliberately downplaying the number, of course.

But I would say, with some amount of certainty, that we have more than two characters coming. Of course, we all knew that already, right? ‾\_(ツ)_/‾
Is this how low we've come, analyzing the definition of words not actually said by sakurai but by his translator

Truly it is the end times

Noipoi

Howdy!

In the 8/8 Direct, after Sakurai showcased Chrom and Dark Samus, he said, quote: "We have a few more characters to show you before release".

Now, "a few" generally means "three (or more)", at least where I come from. (You'd be surprised how many people don't actually know that)

That's not even getting into him deliberately downplaying the number, of course.

But I would say, with some amount of certainty, that we have more than two characters coming. Of course, we all knew that already, right? ‾\_(ツ)_/‾
Honestly I though we were only getting one character after this.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Is this how low we've come, analyzing the definition of words not actually said by sakurai but by his translator

We've been doing that for years.

First there was "There was a character named Ness" on the Brawl Dojo that led people to thinking he was cut.

Enchess

Smash Lord

To play devil's advocate, am I remembering right he said that right before K Rool? So we may only have 2 more. Also, would echoes count? Perhaps only 1 more unique

Im actually thinking it's 4. I'm optimistic.

D

Deleted member

So what's the general consensus on Bandanna Waddle Dee? I've been hearing a lot of arguments for him and against him lately, and as someone who would like his inclusion, I'm not sure what to think of it.
As someone who would be happy beyond words to see him in...I'm not gonna lie, I personally think things looks pretty grim.

Everything shown off for Kirby so far is...well, what it always is: Stuff Sakurai made. The theme with Kirby representation in Smash seems to be "If Sakurai wasn't involved with it, it'll be lucky to get a cameo or some music". Sure, there are Kirby and Dedede's Final Smashes, but the only remix shown off so far is from Kirby Air Ride and we most likely (in my opinion) have seen the final stage count and Kirby doesn't have anything new. I unfortunately think the best Bandana Dee can hope for is an Assist Trophy at the moment.

...And man, do I hate to say that. I really, really wish newer Kirby stuff got a fair shake in Smash, but that doesn't seem like that's ever gonna happen at this point. Words can't describe how wrong I wanna be about this, but I have a gut feeling I'm probably not gonna be. :(

KMDP

Smash Legend

No, the end times came when we were analyzing furniture for signs of a newcomer.

It's all fair game after that.
Honestly I though we were only getting one character after this.
Yeah, Dark Classic Pit.

Never ask Sakurai for anything ever again.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468

Well, K. Rool was after that so two characters left is possible now.

Personally I expect a Pokemon newcomer announced with some Pokemon direct for Let's Go and then two final uniques newcomers with a smash direct. I also kind of expect a big echo showcase with that smash.

If I had to make a real final prediction it'd be

1.Gardevoir/Incineroar for the Pokemon reveal
2. Skull Kid
3. Geno for the last reveal

Echos-
1.Who cares because my list will be the same as everyone elses.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Who else agree that a Pokémon newcomer doesn't need a reveal trailer? Just let it sneak out in the base game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hot Take:

Gardevoir is the epitome of a bandwagon character, and if the CEO Datamine hadn't guessed Richter no one would be seriously talking about her.
I agree with you, and it's not like I actively support her, but I'd still rather get Gardevoir than any remaining Gen 7s.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
If the September direct were to get a character i think it's going to be either...

a. Isaac
b. Skull Kid
c. Elma
d. Gen 7 PokeRep
e. Chorus Kids

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I doubt we’re getting a retro character this time in all honesty, could be wrong but I just don’t see it at all tbh.
I dunno why people often don't think of Geno as a out-of-nowhere retro representative... Yes, he's popular among the Smash fanbase, but I imagine the casual player would think of him as another retro throwback a la Duck Hunt.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Despite my sig listing like 20 characters, I really only feel like 3 more are needed to make the roster feel "complete"

- Bandana Dee: Would complete the kirby representatives with one of the most iconic characters in the franchise
- Paper Mario: A popular Nintendo franchise with it's own identity that really deserves to be represented with a character
- Xenoblade rep: Elma or Rex/Pyra are fine, but Xenoblade is obviously an important IP to nintendo at this point, and def needs a 2nd character

What 3 characters would make the roster feel like this to others?

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Guys.

What if we did get Gardevoir...

But it was male.

That'd be a way to weed out the real Gardevoir "Supporters". :p

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace

Ah this reminds me of Brawl speculation days when I took the words "until now" from the English version of the Brawl dojo to mean Ness wasn't in Brawl. Good times. I was very adamant and very wrong.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Despite my sig listing like 20 characters, I really only feel like 3 more are needed to make the roster feel "complete"

- Bandana Dee: Would complete the kirby representatives with one of the most iconic characters in the franchise
- Paper Mario: A popular Nintendo franchise with it's own identity that really deserves to be represented with a character
- Xenoblade rep: Elma or Rex/Pyra are fine, but Xenoblade is obviously an important IP to nintendo at this point, and def needs a 2nd character

Isaac, Erdrick/Eight and Jill Valentine would make the roster basically perfect for me.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
As someone who would be happy beyond words to see him in...I'm not gonna lie, I personally think things looks pretty grim.

Everything shown off for Kirby so far is...well, what it always is: Stuff Sakurai made. The theme with Kirby representation in Smash seems to be "If Sakurai wasn't involved with it, it'll be lucky to get a cameo or some music". Sure, there are Kirby and Dedede's Final Smashes, but the only remix shown off so far is from Kirby Air Ride and we most likely (in my opinion) have seen the final stage count and Kirby doesn't have anything new. I unfortunately think the best Bandana Dee can hope for is an Assist Trophy at the moment.

...And man, do I hate to say that. I really, really wish newer Kirby stuff got a fair shake in Smash, but that doesn't seem like that's ever gonna happen at this point. Words can't describe how wrong I wanna be about this, but I have a gut feeling I'm probably not gonna be. :(
In fairness Bandanna Waddle Dee technically debuted in Kirby Super Star.

idk if that would actually matter since he's a single NPC in a minigame, but Kirby kinda treats its cast of characters differently from other franchises from what I've noticed. Just food for thought I suppose.

D

Deleted member

Actually, my list would be pretty similar to yours. Toss Octoling, Isabelle, and Dixie as Echos on that list and I don't even think I'd need DLC at that point.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Got too busy for them. I started college in August, and between classes, extracurriculars, and the transition I don't have nearly as much time for leak hunting as I did back in the day.

When did loz hint at him? Source?

EDIT: There is none. Here's what happened with loz:
Loz posted a golden sun

LetterO

Smash Lord
Oh ****, hol' up gang

Nintendo has to have some real juicy online info for us.

Monolith Soft has said that they want to port XCX to the Switch and it's one of the last big Wii U games that would make sense as a port.

XCX had online multiplayer functions.

XCX port announced with Switch online multiplayer functions, Elma tie-in reveal for Smash.

You heard it here first.
Just like how Ashley got revealed to tie in with WarioWare Gold!

Last edited:

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman

If this is any consolation, we'll be getting a lot of new Kirby music. In Sm4sh there were 31 tracks, but the 8.8 direct showed us that there will be 39 new tracks in ultimate. Not counting City Trial, I bet a good majority of those 7 tracks will be from Modern Kirby games.

CaptainMac

Smash Cadet

Not counting DLC my three would be:
- Incineroar
- Isaac
- Bandana Waddle Dee

D

Deleted member

If this is any consolation, we'll be getting a lot of new Kirby music. In Sm4sh there were 31 tracks, but the 8.8 direct showed us that there will be 39 new tracks in ultimate. Not counting City Trial, I bet a good majority of those 7 tracks will be from Modern Kirby games.
It’s not modern Kirby, but one of those songs had better be Checker Knights. I have no idea why it was taken out.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ah this reminds me of Brawl speculation days when I took the words "until now" from the English version of the Brawl dojo to mean Ness wasn't in Brawl. Good times. I was very adamant and very wrong.
People are reacting as if I said "we're only getting two more characters", when that's the opposite of what I said. :laugh:

I even said Sakurai could have been deliberately downplaying the number (which he would do regardless).

It's also worth noting that Sakurai('s translator) said that right after showcasing two Echoes... so, you know, this statement could be referring specifically to Echo Fighters and not regular Fighters.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For me, my picks as to who the last few characters would be, unique ones, that is, would be...

Isaac
Geno
Incineroar

Those are who I'd at least hope get into Ultimate as the remaining few.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was Sonic Boom in the wii U version? I was disappointed it wasn't in the DS version

Enchess

Smash Lord

-Isaac: I think he's deserved to make it in multiple entries now. Golden Sun is a gem and it's weird we not only haven't gotten a character, but actually lost an AT

-Saki Amamiya: S&P is a really neat game that provides a solid challenge, memorable world, and the best rail-shooting in a Nintendo game (better than Star Fox and KI:U imo). Saki, despite not being from a game many know, left a big impression as an AT. An upgrade would be awesome.

-Mio Amakura: Fatal Frame is a huge franchise. It has 5 mainline games, 2 expanded rereleases, a ground up remake, multiple spinoffs, a novelization, a manga adaption, a Japanese live action adaption, and almost even had a Hollywood adaption (announced but went silent). It's even inspired some indie spiritual successors. Nintendo co-owns it now. It's a larger franchises than the vast majority of unrepresented Nintendo IP, and it would be nice to really feel like Nintendo considers her part of the family.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Hold the **** up

Simon has been added to Smash
And we already had Pit and Megaman
And there is 0% chance they're not announcing SOME sort of video game related news at the direct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyoUecpe_wU
It was infront of our noses all along
We’ve already been through this thanks to me...and it will continue to be talked about thanks to you...together we can reboot the Captain N franchise

D

Deleted member

In fairness Bandanna Waddle Dee technically debuted in Kirby Super Star.

idk if that would actually matter since he's a single NPC in a minigame, but Kirby kinda treats its cast of characters differently from other franchises from what I've noticed. Just food for thought I suppose.
Hey, if it gets him in, I'll take it, lol. I'd just be happy to see something new for Kirby, as I think that franchise has near limitless potential for fun Smash characters.

I'll definitely look forward to the music. Kirby music is something I always talk about when the subject of video game OSTs come up, so I'll take whatever Sakurai wants to give us on that front. :)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Was Sonic Boom in the wii U version? I was disappointed it wasn't in the DS version

Nope, for some reason it wasn't. Might have something to do with SEGA/Sonic Team's continued mishandling of their music rights.

Last edited:

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
But was it a rising sun or a setting sun?

A setting sun could be a bad omen
Well let's see...
Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 11.29.04 PM.png

Oh. So he definitely made this picture in Photoshop or something, 100% intending it to be golden. It's an original image to his tweet, definitely. That's not suprising but it's a bit of insight I suppose.

D

Deleted member

I can understand having low expectations but expecting only two more unique newcomers is way too little. We have 3 months until the game comes out, do you all seriously expect onpy two reveal trailers?
Guys.

What if we did get Gardevoir...

But it was male.

That'd be a way to weed out the real Gardevoir "Supporters". :p
If they say male Gardevoir is "disgusting", "wrong" or anything of the like, cut their head off.
If they fetishize male Gardevoir because "lol traps", cut their head off.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion

Bandana Dee - THE 4th kirby character, would round out the kirby cast perfectly
Dixie Kong - The third kong, had her own game, feels like one of the few "nintendo all stars" left to be added
Elma - It feels like a second Xenoblade character is a necessity given how much nintendo has been pushing the series, would represent the "X" side of the chronicles series
Isaac - One of the last series where it not being represented feels jarring
Isabelle - The face of animal crossing
a gen 7 pokemon - It's tradition by this point

Then it would feel pretty complete to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom