• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
GUYS

Vergeben just PM'd me saying the Agnes leak is pure bogus! He then sent me a leaked picture of the new demo that has the next two characters!

THATS RIGHT FOOLS

I WAS THE SMASH BROTHER ALL ALONG

I THINK ITS LEGIT GUYS
I'm confused on why you paired both versions of Corrin but not both versions of Robin.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/UoM7a273abY

Typically not a fan of their channel, but they're pretty spot on here. That 6.0 update looks like it's coming soon, it also looks like they're might be SNES games coming soon as well, so here's hoping.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Leaks aside, I never thought about Agnès in Smash. How would she play?

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I assume she would use abilities based on BD's jobs. Mainly the ones that showcased her during each demo of each respective job. so she'd be a magical inclined character with the Ninja job mixed in since she was the one used for the Ninja demo.

Also: Is it just me, or are the character support stamps acting up again?

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
At least he's not acting like a total knobhead, unlike 99% of leakers. Very safe leak though.
While i 99% don't believe these text leaks, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai is playing it "safe" this time around. Echo fighters are pretty easy things to guess because there are usually only 1 or 2 characters that have potential to be an echo fighter of an existing character anyway, so when people guess Shadow or Isabelle or Dixie, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai is thinking them too. The other characters mentioned usually (Geno, Isaac, Banjo, Dee, Skull Kid) are similar to "impossible" reveals like Ridley or K. Rool, in that they were usually lumped together with them, so I wouldnt be surprised if we got those as other reveal characters because that may be who are logically next.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of Alm potentially using Link's Neutral Special, there's something really odd I'd like to point out; Sakurai only seems to want to depict the characters in their base class for some reason. Ike can canonically use axes as well, so it'd be a nice touch to see Urvan implemented into his moveset, perhaps as a down smash or something, yet there's nothing. And then there is the matter of costumes. They could give Ike his Lord or Vangaurd costumes from PoR and RD respectively. Then there's Great Lord Lucina and Chrom, and Grandmaster Robin. Not to mention Corrin's Hoshidan and Nohrian Royal classes.

It's especially weird when they come packing late game weapons like the Omega Yato and Ragnell.
Has anyone already preordered the Special Edition?
I'm just getting the standard edition. The new Pro Controller look is starting to grow on me, but I already own a Switch Pro Controller and am not excited to drop that much money for another one.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Leaks side, I never thought about Agnès in Smash. How would she play?
Oh I've been waiting for this one.

See, Agnes and the rest of the BD cast can class change into any class in the game.
How I'd translate this into combat, is to make them the ultimate Frankenstein character, using componenets of every Smash character thus far.
Every move would change them into a different class costume before switching back to their normal costume.

Imagine if her forward air was Sheik's or her bthrow was Zelda's or her FSmash was Cloud's. So on and so forth.

As for the iconic BD system? Possibly a reward for perfect shielding aka defaulting, allowing the player to build up brave points to power up their smashes with additional hits. Of course, you can go into "debt" with this system, meaning you'd be unable to use those powered up smashes until you defaulted enough to get out of the red.

And their Final Smash could be one of two things.
They'd activate Bravely Second to stop time and do their potential attacks:
1. Summoning
They're probably gonna go with Susano-o on this
2. Music Attack
As a bonus effect, her theme would play even after the final smash is done, giving her an aura and a buff to her abilities.

Last edited:

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
Illunimation's ****ty The Lorax reboot
*GASP* how could you!!! The Lorax is the best YA dystopian fiction movie ever, not debatable
EDIT: a unnecessary explanation (I've had this joke stewing for a while, just never had a chance to use it) that ruins the joke starts in 3, 2, 1,
there are two parts to this joke, A: The Lorax's plot breaks down into"In a world where the environment has been destroyed, a young teen must save it, which sounds like a YA Dystopian, and B: YA dystopian sucks. Any questions?

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Bravely Default had a really cool concept that was held back by infuriatingly stupid playable characters (as in they were literally written to be stupid) and “anime writing”.

A generic JRPG world being a front for an eldritch horrorshow is a great idea but I’ve scarcely seen such an incredible premise fall so flat.

Gameplay was super tight though. The new characters added by the sequel were a lot more likeable but then the previous most likeable character becomes insufferable and you still have to listen to Agnes “Too Dumb to Live” Oblige talk the whole game.

The leak is absolutely fake but I think it’d be fun to see some music and maybe an Assist from BD/BS.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
And we barely ever get any like Agnes in any past leaks, sadly.
Nothing like the Smash 4 days.
I suppose that's actually very good though, because it means we've truly been spoiled. Thank you Sakurai!!
hahaha I always wonder why BD got cero representation in the game, not even a trophy. The 2 games were a sucess on the 3DS. Maybe it's SE fault

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
I am like 100% convinced that this was talked about at any time in the past in this thread, but what do you guys think are opportunities until Smash's release where we could learn about the remaining characters?
My theory is, that we can guess how many newcomers and echoes we will get with how many directs or other shows we get until the release.

I think the best timeline would be:

September Direct:
- Nintendo Online explanation (because it is way past the time to explain it to us)
- Releases in the year 2018 (Pokemon Let's Go advertisement, some Smash advertisement, Mario Party etc.)
- Maybe something for the already announced titles for 2019
My guess would be 1-2 newcomers and 1-3 echoes in this direct. I'm like 90% sure that we will get that one.

October Direct:
- New announcements for 2019
- Maybe more on Yoshi, Fire Emblem
- A Trailer for Metroid Prime 4
Not too sure about that direct, would give it a 50% chance because I hope Nintendo realizes that 2018 was a bit weak in terms of new releases. My guess would be 1 newcomer and two echoes for this one.

November/December Smash Fact Direct:
- Everything we do not know about Smash will be presented
- Maybe something about DLC in the future (I'm thinking something like the Mewtwo thing with Smash 4)
I am like 99.9% sure that this one will happen. It's just too good advertisement to not do it. In the best case we will get another 2-3 newcomers and 2-4 echoes here.

Maybe my timeline is a bit too much for three months considering we did get almost nothing in the last years. God, I miss the glory days when Nintendo did a direct every month.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Oh I've been waiting for this one.

See, Agnes and the rest of the BD cast can class change into any class in the game.
How I'd translate this into combat, is to make them the ultimate Frankenstein character, using componenets of every Smash character thus far.
Every move would change them into a different class costume before switching back to their normal costume.

Imagine if her forward air was Sheik's or her bthrow was Zelda's or her FSmash was Cloud's. So on and so forth.

As for the iconic BD system? Possibly a reward for perfect shielding aka defaulting, allowing the player to build up brave points to power up their smashes with additional hits. Of course, you can go into "debt" with this system, meaning you'd be unable to use those powered up smashes until you defaulted enough to get out of the red.

And their Final Smash could be one of two things.
They'd activate Bravely Second to stop time and do their potential attacks:
1. Summoning
They're probably gonna go with Susano-o on this
2. Music Attack
As a bonus effect, her theme would play even after the final smash is done, giving her an aura and a buff to her abilities.
That would definitely be interesting. Leaks are good at generating discussion and gives, perhaps, new hope for characters who were deeemed unlikely by the community.

I have a question for everyone. Why do people make leaks?

Is it for recognition, fleeting fame, and to be featured in a YouTube video or in a gaming news article?
Is it to have some perceived control over the roster and to fulfil some desire “to create”?
Is to to find challenge in making a believable roster?
Is to to dupe the masses and laugh as they talk themselves into circles. Trolololo
Or is it out of sheer boredom?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You're new avatar reminds me of the Once-Ler from Illunimation's ****ty The Lorax reboot
That song is the worst thing to happen to animation.

Not only is it awful.

But what actually HAPPENS in the Lorax book is summarized in that song alone and the rest of the movie is stuff they just made up for the movie.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
To be fair, not too much in recent memory. Usually the same stuff.
Fine, I'll do it myself.

Yall like your games so here's a game for you

Give a character suggestion that you've personally NEVER seen anyone mentioned in Smash speculation. Just someone you think would be interesting that you've never seen talked about

Mine'll be Dirk the Daring of Dragon's Lair

An arcade rep of a singularly unique genre which hasn't been touched yet (he even has a horrible nintendo game). He's got a lot of personality, could have an interesting counter mechanic where he becomes invincible for half a second if he times it perfectly, and Sakurai seems to have a thing for sword users anyways.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I am like 100% convinced that this was talked about at any time in the past in this thread, but what do you guys think are opportunities until Smash's release where we could learn about the remaining characters?
My theory is, that we can guess how many newcomers and echoes we will get with how many directs or other shows we get until the release.

September Direct:
- Nintendo Online explanation (because it is way past the time to explain it to us)
- Releases in the year 2018 (Pokemon Let's Go advertisement, some Smash advertisement, Mario Party etc.)
My guess would be 1-2 newcomers and 1-3 echoes in this direct. I'm like 90% sure that we will get that one.

October Direct:
Not too sure about that direct, would give it a 50% chance because I hope Nintendo realizes that 2018 was a bit weak in terms of new releases. My guess would be 1 newcomer and two echoes for this one.

- Maybe something about DLC in the future (I'm thinking something like the Mewtwo thing with Smash 4)
I am like 99.9% sure that this one will happen. It's just too good advertisement to not do it. In the best case we will get another 2-3 newcomers and 2-4 echoes here.

Maybe my timeline is a bit too much for three months considering we did get almost nothing in the last years. God, I miss the glory days when Nintendo did a direct every month.
I’m sure there will be 1 unique newcomer shown off in the inevitable September direct, a possible Smash direct in October showing off the blurred out section of the menu and 2 unique characters and 2-3 echoes and then a November dorect where they show off the last unique newcomer.

I’m 95% sure that there’s only 4 more unique characters left.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

September Direct:

October Direct:

I’ve been a Nintendo fan for a long time. But around the time I first got int9 Nintendo, I had no idea directs where a thing. They used to release one every month? Dang.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I feel like the movie was an extremely mediocre depiction of the book. It's bright and cheerful for the most part while the book is far more grim and bleak. I like a good optimistic story, but there's already a ton of that for kids. Part of why I like The Lorax is that it respects that small children can appreciate stories that are not all sunshine-rainbow all the time. I get that we're memeing here but I had to throw that in.

Oh and screw forced romantic subplots while I'm on that.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hmmm...in terms of a timeline, I was thinking:

Mid-October Smash Direct showcasing 3-6 characters like what we saw in August.

Followed by an early December Smash Direct like around the 3rd with showcases the last of the launch characters and serves as a final direct until he Game finally launches.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The thing about any other Square character getting in is that it's automatically going to piss the Geno fans all over the world with how high expectations are already risen for the character… and at the same time, for non Geno fans, it's gonna suck if it's him and all of the other potentially good Square suggestions don't happen. I just hope, whatever happens, people don't lose hope with DLC still being possible.

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
I’ve been a Nintendo fan for a long time. But around the time I first got int9 Nintendo, I had no idea directs where a thing. They used to release one every month? Dang.
If I do remeber it correctly, they almost did, yes. Funny enough, it was the time before Smash 4 in like 2013/2014 so it felt like we got a newcomer every month. I vividly remember the directs explicitly starting with a newcomer trailer and as a result I never was able to follow the annoucements of games for the next 10 minutes. Those were the good old times.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Fine, I'll do it myself.

Yall like your games so here's a game for you

Give a character suggestion that you've personally NEVER seen anyone mentioned in Smash speculation. Just someone you think would be interesting that you've never seen talked about

Mine'll be Dirk the Daring of Dragon's Lair

An arcade rep of a singularly unique genre which hasn't been touched yet (he even has a horrible nintendo game). He's got a lot of personality, could have an interesting counter mechanic where he becomes invincible for half a second if he times it perfectly, and Sakurai seems to have a thing for sword users anyways.
Parrappa The Rapper. Besides Nintendo characters. Out of the big 3 big consoles (X Box Nintendo PlayStation) Parrappa the was the only one I actually liked who wasn’t Nintendo. And Sack boy, I guess.

He’ll never happen, but hey.
6E20EB64-EB4F-4B6A-9B25-0B2A7266F122.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The thing about any other Square character getting in is that it's automatically going to piss the Geno fans all over the world with how high expectations are already risen for the character… and at the same time, for non Geno fans, it's gonna suck if it's him and all of the other potentially good Square suggestions don't happen. I just hope, whatever happens, people don't lose hope with DLC still being possible.
At least if Geno happens and Neku and/or Zack don’t, there’ll be DLC for that

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That would definitely be interesting. Leaks are good at generating discussion and gives, perhaps, new hope for characters who were deeemed unlikely by the community.

I have a question for everyone. Why do people make leaks?

Is it for recognition, fleeting fame, and to be featured in a YouTube video or in a gaming news article?
Is it to have some perceived control over the roster and to fulfil some desire “to create”?
Is to to find challenge in making a believable roster?
Is to to dupe the masses and laugh as they talk themselves into circles. Trolololo
Or is it out of sheer boredom?
I would imagine it is a mix of two or more depending on the person.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The thing about trying to make fake renders is that these characters are obviously not 3D.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman

Not only is it awful.

But what actually HAPPENS in the Lorax book is summarized in that song alone and the rest of the movie is stuff they just made up for the movie.
Uggggh. I thought I had forgotten about that movie...That song was one of the worst parts in a terrible movie.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm just getting the standard edition. The new Pro Controller look is starting to grow on me, but I already own a Switch Pro Controller and am not excited to drop that much money for another one.
I just want the steelbook minimalist case. Maybe I'll preorder it then sell the controller.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Too many premium peoples, it's like this topic is only for premium members

But, since we are unable to find the renders of the 7 characters anywhere, we have to wait. Yes, I know it's fake, but if it's really fake then the leaker must have put impressive art skill even if there are inconsistences.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The original Lorax book and the first television animated adaptation from 1972 were fantastic. The 2012 movie removed much of it's depth and and pretty much all of it's subtly, and along with that pointlessly struggled to be relevant and changed the story by adding several cliche plot points that ultimately turned something that was originally unique and special into something horribly generic and forgettable.

But, I digress. Back onto Smash lol.

___

In regards to a Nintendo direct, I'm thinking we'll likely get one in October or late September. We'll probably get one around late November or very early December as well to provide the last bits of information and character reveals before the game release shortly afterwards. With only a few months to go before the game comes out, there aren't exactly many different options for direct air times left.

Just how many Smash characters get shown off during these directs, however, is harder to say.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Ahem, this is my 100th post here. I noticed something and I am a bit confused.
No offense to Bravely Default fans: I know you'd love to have Agnès in the game, and I know you're a huge fan, but what I mean is, why not Tiz? He's the protagonist of the game, so why her instead of Tiz?

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice

Not only is it awful.

I disagree, I like the song, and the movie redemmes itself with ironic enjoyment
I feel like the movie was an mediocre depiction of the book. It's bright and cheerful for the most part while the book is far more grim and bleak. I like a good optimistic story, but there's already a ton of that for kids. Part of why I like The Lorax is that it respects that small children can appreciate stories that are not all sunshine-rainbow all the time. I get that we're memeing here but I had to throw that in.

Oh and screw forced romantic subplots while I'm on that.
Off topic, as a Latter Day Saint, I feel annoyed that people definition of mature is blood, gore, sex, and swearing, and people idea of appropriate is dumb and immature, why can't I have more intelligent topics discussed without having the aforementioned blood, gore, sex, and swearing? A perfect example of this is "Clash of Eagles" by Alan Smale, It's an alternate history book about the Romans discovering North America in the 13th century, but halfway through the book some random native who hadn't given any forewarning decided she wanted to sleep with the protagonist, and the protagonist starts swearing up a storm. Sorry, rant over (for now, bum bum BAAAAAAH!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom