• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's not like an echo takes THAT much work to begin with.

It's hard to see some of 'em purely as alternate costumes.

When it comes to olimar and bowser jr. it are the pikmin and koopa clown car respectively that make up a lot of the frame data.

I can't see Dark Samus or Dixie Kong just being an alternate costume.
I can't either. That's why I didn't mention those two. (Actually I don't see Dixie as an echo either, as she's too substantially different from Diddy, but that's neither here nor there.)

But I see characters mentioned like James McCloud as a potential echo fighter and think, "Wait wait wait wait wait. Wait. He's just Fox with sunglasses. How has he not already been a costume in Melee/Brawl/4???" Echo fighters do take significantly more time because they have to be balanced against the entire roster like any other character. A costume is just a costume.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Everyone? You have to pad the roster out with 10 echoes. Name them.
1. Shadow
2. Black Knight
3. Black Shadow
4. Dark Meta Knight
5. Shadow Knight
6. Dark Shadow
7. Meta Black Knight
8. Dark Black
9. Black Black
10. Dark Black Shadow Knight

Last edited:

Suspicious Squirtle

Smash Apprentice
Guess I'll throw in some Echoes
:ultdiddy: - Dixie Kong (with Helicopter Hair Up-B and a unique final smash)
:ultsheik: - Impa
:ultpacman: - Mrs. Pac-Man
:ultinkling: - Octoling
:ultvillager: - Isabelle
:ultsonic: - Shadow

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Although if Sakurai could get Slippy and Peppy to work as 'Echo' clones of Fox and Falco, I'd happily accept it. However, I don't think that Slippy or Peppy being clones of either character is realizable.

Fox and especially Falco are much taller and more lean compared to Peppy and Slippy. It wouldn't really be possible to rig Slippy or Peppy onto either Fox's or Falco's skeletons. Sure, they could 'shrink' the skeletons and alter some animations, but then we're looking as a Dr. Mario or Pichu type of clone, rather than 'Echo' clones.

But say they do alter their skeletons so that they fit Peppy and Slippy. They'd need several moves to be replaced since Slippy and Peppy still wouldn't be capable or performing many of Fox's or Falco's moves. Fox's rapid jab involves kicks, which Slippy and Peppy wouldn't be able to do as well. Falco's FAir involves spinning around for a rapid-hitting attack using his beak, which also wouldn't be possible with either of them. Not to mention that both Fox and Falco have several attacks using their tails, such as their DTilts or Fox's UAir. There are other moves that would need to be replaced, too. At that point, they'd be semi-clones.

I think what would be best to get them both would be for Slippy to make it in as a unique character, and for Peppy to be added alongside him as an 'Echo' clone. That way, you'd have the original Star Fox team all together. I made a moveset for Slippy a little while back, but I plan on going back and revising it in a way where it would suit both him and Peppy. Anyways, as much as I'd kill to see them both make it in, I don't believe either one will. Which is unfortunate.

D

Deleted member

I just had an idea: I know some people here like the idea of Incineroar as a grappler, but if it were up to me, I'd put in Zangief.

Zangief in Smash Bros. would be hilarious and amazing, I'd probably main him.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Alright guys, I've got a game:

Add 5 of the worst newcomers you can think of, especially if you know they would upset other people ;)

Goku (DBZ)
Freddy Fazbear (FNAF)
Tracer (Overwatch)
Sans (Undertale- sorry Sans fans)
Bubsy (Bubsy)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If, by some horrific miracle, every generation of Pokemon received a fighter in Smash, echo or not, who would be the best your favorite, perhaps not most likely, picks?

personally,
Kanto: Meowth
Johto: Celebi (Maybe Togepi)
Hoenn: Gardevoir
Sinnoh: Darkrai
Unova: Samurott
Kalos: Hawlucha
Alola: Buzzwole

Kanto: Meowth.
(Honestly few Pokemon can compare to Meowth's fame. Should have been him since 64 really. I'd be willing to sacrifice nearly all the other Pokemon reps to get Meowth on the roster, and he was my second most wanted from Smash 64 to Sm4sh.)
Johto: Wobbuffet.
Hoenn: Seviper
Sinnoh: Mime Jr
Unova: Gorgeist
Kalos: Inkay
Alola: Mimkyu

Basically give me Team Rocket.

It is nice to see Meowth actually does have a ton of fans amongst the Smash community. Wish we could somehow translate that into a reality...

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So there's 14 music days left before release. And 18 series left to get a sample. 17 if excluding miis if the main theme counts for them.
By removing Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Gyromite, Duck Hunt and maybe Punch-Out and grouping them as one, removing Final Fantasy. There's around 2 possible new IPs in that case.

So my new game here is, which 2 new IPs if you were in charge do you pick for Ultimate?

Based on my own prediction. I'm going with Tekken and Tales(since they were the only new IPs I included in my list).
Basing it on the music, given the context: Banjo-Kazooie and Persona. Though based on my predictions, replace Persona with Golden Sun.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I just had an idea: I know some people here like the idea of Incineroar as a grappler, but if it were up to me, I'd put in Zangief.

The Switch cartridge couldn't handle the Red Cyclone's flexing though.

Or even his shinhair...

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
:ultryu: Ken or Akuma
:ultmegaman: Roll or Proto
:ultsheik: Impa
:ultsonic: Shadow
:ultfalcon: Black Shadow
:ultvillager: Isabelle
:ultlucas:Claus
:ultyoshi: Birdo
:ultdiddy:Dixie
:ultluigi:Mr. L

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If Vergeben is to be believed, we're supposed to get about "half a dozen newcomers after E3", which has lined up with the reveal rate so far. Simon and K Rool account for two of those, so that leaves us with four. Presumably those don't include echoes, since Sakurai isn't counting them as newcomers either.

Skull Kid's AT is suspiciously absent, Majora's Mask was big in 2016, and as tinfoil as it sounds the room decor theory could be true.

Vergeben claims that we're getting a 7th gen Pokemon that isn't Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc. This lines up with past trends, each Smash game has a Pokemon newcomer from the newest generation at the time of launch. My money is on Incineroar, but I could very well be wrong.

He also claims that we're getting a second Square Enix rep. If Geno got in, that would complete the holy trinity of fan favorites comprised of Ridley, K Rool, and Geno.

As for the fourth, it's really anyone's game.

For echo fighters, Vergeben has said to disregard any leak that doesn't include Ken and Isabelle. Shadow is an easy echo and his AT is missing. Black Knight has been replaced with a generic knight on Castle Siege.

I predict Skull Kid, Incineroar, and Geno for remaining newcomers, and Isabelle, Shadow, Ken, and Black Knight for echo fighters.
Yea Vergeben said half a dozen more atleast (the half dozen excludes :ultinkling::ultridley:) he didn’t know if echos are in this are not

So based on :ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultchrom: I think echos are excluded

So atleast 4 more since it’s currently :ultsimon::ultkrool: of the uniques

Skull kid
Pokémon rep
Geno
Didn’t see that coming character

Sounds about the right and there could be 1-4 more uniques since he claimed it as “At miminum”

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I do like the orange tint, but you're right, the pink is better.

That's actually sounds pretty fun(ny).
I made a new recolor where I only recolored the left heel for comparision's sake. And like, I just find them so much better looking and less tacked on in blue.
samus3.png

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Although if Sakurai could get Slippy and Peppy to work as 'Echo' clones of Fox and Falco, I'd happily accept it. However, I don't think that Slippy or Peppy being clones of either character is realizable.

Fox and especially Falco are much taller and more lean compared to Peppy and Slippy. It wouldn't really be possible to rig Slippy or Peppy onto either Fox's or Falco's skeletons. Sure, they could 'shrink' the skeletons and alter some animations, but then we're looking as a Dr. Mario or Pichu type of clone, rather than 'Echo' clones.

But say they do alter their skeletons so that they fit Peppy and Slippy. They'd need several moves to be replaced since Slippy and Peppy still wouldn't be capable or performing many of Fox's or Falco's moves. Fox's rapid jab involves kicks, which Slippy and Peppy wouldn't be able to do as well. Falco's FAir involves spinning around for a rapid-hitting attack using his beak, which also wouldn't be possible with either of them. Not to mention that both Fox and Falco have several attacks using their tails, such as their DTilts or Fox's UAir. There are other moves that would need to be replaced, too. At that point, they'd be semi-clones.

I think what would be best to get them both would be for Slippy to make it in as a unique character, and for Peppy to be added alongside him as an 'Echo' clone. That way, you'd have the original Star Fox team all together. I made a moveset for Slippy a little while back, but I plan on going back and revising it in a way where it would suit both him and Peppy. Anyways, as much as I'd kill to see them both make it in, I don't believe either one will. Which is unfortunate.
Yeah, they'd sooner make Miyu and Fay Echoes with Fox and Falco's body frames, than ones of Peppy and Slippy.

At least Slippy has the advantage in having his own spin-off game, his use of security gadgets could aid him. Also, having his uncle Grippy helping him out is a must. :p

Personally, I think Mike Haggar would have to get in first, since his series Final Fight is more closely associated with Nintendo, and he is the main character of it.

Though if they both get in, and Zangief is an echo, I'm going to laugh for SF metaverse reasons.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Okay here's a dumb reaction game.

How would you react based on these six characters at these times.

September direct: Geno/ Bandanna waddle Dee

November direct: Issac/ Kratos (Yeah that one) & boy

DLC first round: Elma/ Springman

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

10 Echoes:
Jusy add the usual stuff here, Impa, Ken, Shadow etc.

:ultlittlemac: - Hitmonchan. Please.
:ulttoonlink: - Ravio
:ultmarth: - Joshua. Whole sword has the same hitboxes as non-tipper Falchion, however, every move has a 10% chance of becoming a critical hit, making its power equivalent to a tipper hitbox. You can bet(heh) I'd do this if I was in charge of the game.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord

You're just asking what people's reactions would be to kratos as all the other ones are really expected.

I'd be shocked, confused, amused, then sad they didn't get rayman instead

I would actually prefer Dante more than Kratos tbh

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I’d be a bit disappointed that Elma is DLC instead of being on the base roster. Kratos would also disappoint me a bit but I’d probably get over it pretty fast

Pakky

Smash Hero
10 Echoes !

:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne

:ultsonic:: Shadow

:ultness:: Ninten

:ultsnake:: Boss

:ultvillager::Isabelle

:ultwario::Mona

:ultsheik::Impa

:ultmegaman::Bass/ Protoman (Blues)

:ultinkling::Octoling

:ultryu:: Ken

Bonus

:ultcloud:: Pyramid Head

You're just asking what people's reactions would be to kratos as all the other ones are really expected.

You right.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, who's gonna be the supposed "locked in" character that we all think will make it in, only to not be playable? Cause last time it was Ridley, but the boy made it in.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Dante's the cool baby-sitter who lets you eat pizza for dinner and play M rated games when your parents aren't looking, even if Kratos wasn't a grouch who threatens to use violence because you breathed too loudly, he'd fail by comparison

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Add 5 of the worst newcomers you can think of, especially if you know they would upset other people ;)

Goku (DBZ)
Freddy Fazbear (FNAF)
Tracer (Overwatch)
Bubsy (Bubsy)
Rabbids (Not Rabbid Mario, just strait Rabbids)
Peri (Fire Emblem, just imagine the flame wars)
Shadow Pit (Kid Icarus)
Flappy Bird (Flappy Bird)
Gothitelle (Just to rub salt in the wound, no Gardevoir. Only Gothitelle.)

Tracer isn't a bad idea, just an extremely unlikely one.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I have absolutely no words to describe the events that happened last night. Hatred among the community is never allowed here and should not occur in the first place. I want to thank all of the mods and those who reported the incident to take care of it professionally and swiftly as we know how the mods do some tough jobs around here. Hats off to you all!

>10 Echoes

:ultbowser: = Dry Bowser
Makes me cringe every time I see this

:ultfalcon: - Blaziken
:ultganondorf: - Black Shadow
:ultvillager: - Isabelle
:ultsonic: - Shadow
:ultdiddy: - Dixie Kong
:ultryu: - Ken
:ultsheik: - Impa
:ultinkling: - Octolings
:ultzelda: - Garvedoir
:ultyoshi: - Birdo (just to see how much hell I'm unleashing here) :troll: (i'm joking, not a pick I'd choose)

:ultike: - Black Knight

EDIT: Oh! I could also see him going Alolan Raichu to complete the holy Trinity of Pikachu family since it represents a new feature of Gen 7 (Alola variants) and and the final evolution to Pikachu. The trailer practicaly writes itself. Pichu is facing some powerful foes, but is beaten down. Pikachu steps in confidently and protects him, fighting them off, but then an even more threatening foe appears. Pikachu is weak; looks done for, but suddenly...

Alola Raichu Surfs in!
Except that Alolan Raichu is already confirmed for Pokeball. It's body wouldn't match the same concept as Pikachu due to it having a MUCH longer tail

If, by some horrific miracle, every generation of Pokemon received a fighter in Smash, echo or not, who would be the best your favorite, perhaps not most likely, picks?

personally,
Kanto: Meowth
Johto: Celebi (Maybe Togepi)
Hoenn: Gardevoir
Sinnoh: Darkrai
Unova: Samurott
Alola: Buzzwole
Kanto: Gengar (I'd rather him be the last Gen 1 Pokemon to be revealed)
Johto: Heracross
Hoenn: Blaziken or Garvedoir
Sinnoh: Frosslass, Gallade, or Buizel
Unova: Haxorus family line
Alola: Decidueye or Incineroar

AT LAST, ANOTHER PERSON THAT VOUCHES FOR MORE FINAL FANTASY MUSIC. We'll make it through brother, there'll be some way we get more than 2 songs this time. I really hope so because I don't wanna do Ursula's side quest in Xenoblade all over again.
Lemme up that up fam

NessSaysOkay

Smash Apprentice

Goku (DBZ)
Freddy Fazbear (FNAF)
Tracer (Overwatch)
Bubsy (Bubsy)
Goku
Freddy
Baldi
Fortniter
Spongebob

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Here's my ten Echoes I suppose

:ultyoshi: : Birdo
:ultike: : The Black Knight/Hector
:ultsheik: : Impa
:ultryu: : Ken
:ultmewtwo:/:ultlucario: : Gardevoir
:ultzelda: Twili Midna/Hilda
:ultwolf: Panther/Leon
:ultpalutena: Viridi/Medusa
:ultness:/:ultlucas: Ninten

I'll probably remember more in like 5 minutes because i didn't really think too hard on this.

(:ultgardevoir: : Gothitelle :p)

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So, who's gonna be the supposed "locked in" character that we all think will make it in, only to not be playable? Cause last time it was Ridley, but the boy made it in.
I feel like it'll be either Bandanna Dee or Geno. Most people can't think of a reason Bandanna Dee won't get in and he's super popular in Japan, and with the ballot pics everyone thinks Geno is a lock. Either one of these would really throw the community.

On a smaller, different scale, a lot of hype really quickly built for Skull Kid and I can see that topple just as fast. Sort of what happened with Ashley leading up to the August direct, saw a lot of people say she was one of the most likely, and there was no real reason to think that except her AT was missing (and her popularity but so does every other speculated newcomer).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
**** it,
Yall want anime sword fighters?
How about we just shove EVERY FE protagonist into an echo role.

Marth - Sigurd, Seliph, Leif, Lyn, Eirika, Lianna, Itsuki
Roy - Alm, Eliwood, Chrom, Lucina, Rowan, Alphonse
Ike - Hector
Robin - Celica, Micaiah

There, now we have EVERY single Fire Emblem game represented, with a grand total of TWENTY Fire Emblem characters.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Here's my ten Echoes I suppose

:ultyoshi: : Birdo
:ultike: : The Black Knight/Hector
:ultsheik: : Impa
:ultryu: : Ken
:ultmewtwo:/:ultlucario: : Gardevoir
:ultzelda: Twili Midna/Hilda
:ultwolf: Panther/Leon
:ultpalutena: Viridi/Medusa
:ultness:/:ultlucas: Ninten

I'll probably remember more in like 5 minutes because i didn't really think too hard on this.

(:ultgardevoir: : Gothitelle :p)
Think you lost the echo capability with gardevoir there

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Probably either Geno or Skull Kid. I have a feeling Skull Kid getting deconfirmed will hit the fanbase harder

Not that I want either to happen of course, I just see it as probable

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
**** it,
Yall want anime sword fighters?
How about we just shove EVERY FE protagonist into an echo role.

Marth - Sigurd, Seliph, Lyn, Eirika, Leif, Lianna, Itsuki
Roy - Alm, Eliwood, Chrom, Lucina, Rowan, Alphonse
Ike - Hector
Robin - Celica, Micaiah

There, now we have EVERY single Fire Emblem game represented, with a grand total of TWENTY Fire Emblem characters.
Yeah, no, sounds great.

Sign me up.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Goku (DBZ)
Freddy Fazbear (FNAF)
Tracer (Overwatch)
Bubsy (Bubsy)

Shrek

Paul Blart

The Noid

7 Grand Dad

Flumpty

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Probably either Geno or Skull Kid. I have a feeling Skull Kid getting deconfirmed will hit the fanbase harder

Not that I want either to happen of course, I just see it as probable
Hmmm that is an interesting situation that I feel like Geno is placed on this pedestal beside Ridley and King K Rool for characters fans have wanted for decades, but at the end of the day I feel like more people on here would be dissapointed of Skull Kids deconfirm. I for one would be surprised Geno didn't make it in but wouldn't care, Skull Kid I actually want. And to go with that I feel most casual players would be wayyyy more excited for Skull Kid since they might actually recognize him.

Alright now I'll be pissed of Geno gets in but not Skull Kid lol.

Skull Kid, Geno or Shadow would be my guesses.
Ooo actually Shadow is a good point. I don't know if people would care? But defintely shock people if he didn't get in after that last direct.

Last edited:

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
10 Echoes !

:ultbayonetta:: Jeanne

:ultsonic:: Shadow

:ultness:: Ninten

:ultsnake:: Boss

:ultvillager::Isabelle

:ultwario::Mona

:ultsheik::Impa

:ultmegaman::Bass/ Protoman (Blues)

:ultinkling::Octoling

:ultryu:: Ken

Bonus

:ultcloud:: Pyramid Head

You right.
Jeanne has actually been one of my pics since before the first Octoling trailer. I imagine her as being like Bayo, but with more damage and knockback at the cost of not being able to use witch time.

D

Deleted member

Time to play with reaction images/GIFs/videos again.

September reaction:

I will then play this on repeat throughout the next 24 hours:

November reaction:

"Wow, Isaac? That's so cool for his fans! I'm sure they're very happy right now-"

*Sees Kratos*

"Mash Potato Samurai plz no"

DLC reaction:

Predictable, but still cool. Would look forward to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom