• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
I had a dream overnight that I was watching a new Direct.

Sakurai appeared and started talking to introduce a new trailer, but unfortunately, as with the Mega Man and Castlevania character trailers in the past, the feed started lagging for me. It skipped straight into the trailer, showing a large, hulking man in red with matching hair. My excitement subdued quite a bit as I was overcome with confusion, not recognizing him as a character from any video game I remembered seeing before. I wondered if he was from some sort of game that was big overseas but not here in the West, that was the only thing I could figure. Then the scene changed to show Cloud in a nighttime setting, facing to his right toward something offscreen as rather epic music played. It changed to another part of the same setting, but in this shot was Carl Fredricksen (from the movie Up), Mickey Mouse, and Snow White, all dramatically looking up and to their left at something that was still offscreen. At this point I finally realized what I was watching, and my face immediately became the spitting image of Donkey Kong and Diddy's upon seeing King K. Rool's appearance outside their window. My focus suddenly changed to the fact that I was sitting in a library with my mouth literally gaping so wide that could feel a few pieces of the rice cereal I had been eating during the presentation dropping onto my screen below my face. Should I be embarrassed and control my reactions? Ah, who am I kidding, there's Disney characters appearing in Super Smash Bros., I think anyone who sees me will honestly understand my shock! I woke up before I caught anymore of the trailer, but we all know what was happening, what character was about to come to Smash Bros. in that trailer. I'm not even that fervent of a supporter for that character, but the sheer surprise and amazement of seeing such content included in this series really would be awesome, and I have to say, I really hope I get to feel that level of hype again in the lead-up to this game's release.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I don't consider Skull Kid bandwagon, he's had a pretty huge following since Brawl at least. Project M supposedly even toyed with the idea of making him playable aaik, he had many animations done.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I know people meme on Goku, but there's more than 5 worse choices for Smash than him. Shrek, Jimmy Neutron, Naruto, Hawkeye, a Car from Cars. **** like that. Might as well keep it games only, because with Non-game characters there's such a wide array of trash to shift though.

Not that we should have ANY non game characters but you get what I'm saying.

Worst 5 game characters would be: Bubsy, Awesome Possum, Zero the Kamikazi Squirrel, Vexx, some meme character from Undertale or Fortnite or whatever the kids like these days.

No seriously, Bubsy being brought back from the dead ain't right. He was beaten, now there's a new generation that can know him, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ultimate has literally everything Smash 4 had, bar a couple stages, plus so much more.

Nobody in their right mind will stay with Smash 4 when Ultimate drops.
You can't play as the Final Smash fighters in Smash Ultimate though. Likewise, there's the custom specials dilemma, as we still don't know what their fate is.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't consider Skull Kid bandwagon, he's had a pretty huge following since Brawl at least. Project M supposedly even toyed with the idea of making him playable aaik, he had many animations done.
Skull Kid wouldn't be where he is now without the "leak" and speculation. Certainly not topping any polls.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Isn't the policies of most of these companies Sakurai and Nintendo approaching them for a character and not them going to Sakurai to get their characters in?
In the case of Cloud, they wanted an FF rep, and Cloud was the most recognizable one so they asked for him and Square Enix gave their approval.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I had a dream overnight that I was watching a new Direct.

Sakurai appeared and started talking to introduce a new trailer, but unfortunately, as with the Mega Man and Castlevania character trailers in the past, the feed started lagging for me. It skipped straight into the trailer, showing a large, hulking man in red with matching hair. My excitement subdued quite a bit as I was overcome with confusion, not recognizing him as a character from any video game I remembered seeing before. I wondered if he was from some sort of game that was big overseas but not here in the West, that was the only thing I could figure. Then the scene changed to show Cloud in a nighttime setting, facing to his right toward something offscreen as rather epic music played. It changed to another part of the same setting, but in this shot was Carl Fredricksen (from the movie Up), Mickey Mouse, and Snow White, all dramatically looking up and to their left at something that was still offscreen. At this point I finally realized what I was watching, and my face immediately became the spitting image of Donkey Kong and Diddy's upon seeing King K. Rool's appearance outside their window. My focus suddenly changed to the fact that I was sitting in a library with my mouth literally gaping so wide that could feel a few pieces of the rice cereal I had been eating during the presentation dropping onto my screen below my face. Should I be embarrassed and control my reactions? Ah, who am I kidding, there's Disney characters appearing in Super Smash Bros., I think anyone who sees me will honestly understand my shock! I woke up before I caught anymore of the trailer, but we all know what was happening, what character was about to come to Smash Bros. in that trailer. I'm not even that fervent of a supporter for that character, but the sheer surprise and amazement of seeing such content included in this series really would be awesome, and I have to say, I really hope I get to feel that level of hype again in the lead-up to this game's release.
I'd totally main Carl Fredricksen.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Geno isn’t a make or break deal for me, since I don’t have any nostalgia for his game (though I am playing it now, it’s pretty good) but I’d still be happy to see him finally make his Smash debut. Sure, maybe there are “more deserving” characters, but nothing gets me like a good grassroots movement.

The idea that a character can vanish and be forgotten by their series for years and years, but kept alive by the support of their fandom, and finally emerging triumphantly in the ultimate© celebration of Nintendo history is a story I’ll never get tired of hearing, I guess. :ultkrool::ultkrool::ultkrool::ultkrool::ultkrool:

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Dunno what I missed those last 30+ pages...but I’m glad I did.

So Fun Fact:

As of Ultimate, Brawl is the only game in the series not to feature N64 stages.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Skull Kid wouldn't be where he is now without the "leak" and speculation. Certainly not topping any polls.
Agree to disagree. He was brought up a ton during the Brawl and Sm4sh ballot days, and I reckon most don't even know about the leak. It's definitely not as well known as Vergeben's.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The reason Skull Kid never got much support has nothing to do with popularity. He's very popular. It's just that he has to compete with a ton of other popular Zelda characters. Impa, Vaati, Beast Ganon, Midna, Ghirahim, Groose, Lana, and now the four champions. Impa especially got a large following because she's a reaccuring character, so people felt like she was the most likely. Now that Skull Kid has a leak going for him, a lot of his fans now feel like he's likey and are willing to support him. I really doubt it's just 100% bandwagon.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Well, when in Rome...
10 echoes
:ultsheik: Impa*
:ultvillager: Isabelle*
:ultsonic: Shadow*
:ultdiddy: Dixie Kong*
:ultmegaman: Roll
:ultlucas: Kumatora
:ultfalcon: Black Shadow
:ultsnake: The Boss
:ultryu: Sakura
:ultcloud: Zack
* = prefer them to be unique
Honorary mentions/unconfirmed characters :

Shiranui (Amaterasu)
:ultshulk: Fiora (Elma)
:ultinkling: Octolings
:ultfox: Fay
:ultwolf: Miyu

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Isn't the policies of most of these companies Sakurai and Nintendo approaching them for a character and not them going to Sakurai to get their characters in?
I think so. That's why I said if "I" was Square, but Geno fans have been waiting for so long now, they deserve it. It's quite remarkable that a character from a game released many years ago has such a strong fanbase.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
are we seriously assuming skull kid is only possible because of the supposed "leaks" and we're ignoring the whole AT missing situation? smh… someone needs to do some research on the amount of hints towards the character, cause some of you are clearly missing them.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Bothers me so much how people keep saying "Square wouldn't want to advertise Geno."

And sure. They gain very little from Geno being in Smash. Except whatever payments they receive for having him in Smash. Payments they don't receive if he's not there.

People keep approaching it as if its a question of Geno vs. Sora/Lara/Noctis/Whatever, but it can just as easily be a question of Geno vs. Nothing.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ultimate has literally everything Smash 4 had, bar a couple stages, plus so much more.

Nobody in their right mind will stay with Smash 4 when Ultimate drops.
Only thing Ultimate doesn’t have are customs...but those weren’t really needed in a way (hopefully Smash Tour stays away)

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Skull Kid has always had support. It's just that his supporters are quieter than others and as stated before he has to compete with other popular zelda characters. The leak hasn't caused a bandwagon to happen imo, just encouraged his supporters to be more vocal.

though i don't doubt the loz leak certainly helped a bit, but it's not the sole reason's hes popular.

Last edited:

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
While I certainly appreciate the extra attention Skull Kid has been getting. I almost feel the same could be said about Simon.

There are a few things that could be considered favorable in the speculation of Skull Kid being a playable character. Operation Moonfall and the 3DS remake being released in 2015, AT removal, etc.

I hope he makes it in. I remember checking the Brawl Dojo everyday hoping he'd get in.

StormC

Smash Hero
He wouldn't have won any Reddit polls a month ago though. He probably wouldn't have been on them

He spiked in popularity from that loz leak
That's literally my point. Recent Skull Kid support has ballooned because of bandwagoning and expectations. Same thing happened to Chorus Kids.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I feel like some of you are forgetting that Skull Kid got revealed as an Assist Trophy early on in Smash 4’s hype cycle, killing any support he might have had going into Smash 4 and beyond. Had he not been AT’d, I’m certain he would have been one of the big, big names going into the Ballot period.

Now we have the Moon, by itself, as an Assist Trophy, and Skull Kid nowhere to be found. That’s odd, and imo a very good sign, so it makes sense that Skull Kid fans would be more active now. We finally have some hope to latch onto.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I always saw Impa and Midna ahead of Skull Kid when people talked about Zelda characters. Not saying they have a higher support base, but when the topic came up Skull Kid never seemed like the first mentioned.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Was Geno highly requested during the ballot period? I don't remember a huge amount of support here, but, I don't really remember.

At this point, the only thing I could see holding Geno back is the potential lack of ballot votes and licensing. But I don't think that'll be a huge issue.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm still hoping Skull Kid is in, I was supporting him even when the Skull Kid thread couldn't stay on the first page. He would be the best choice for a Zelda character.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
While I certainly appreciate the extra attention Skull Kid has been getting. I almost feel the same could be said about Simon.
I do not remember even a single person asking for Simon in the buildup to Smash 4. At all.

The only thing that seemed to bring classic Castlevania fans out of the woodworks were the initial leaks that claimed Simon was in.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Smash 4 is gonna die and for good reasons too.

Not only is it the most dullest and blandest of the series with absolutely nothing to make it stand out, (N64’s Classic iteration, Melee’s competitive gameplay, Brawl’s Subspace), and lacking a true title, but Ultimate outclasses it in every way imaginable.

The only way is Smash 4 is gonna still be played are us waiting for Ultimate and those who can’t afford a Switch atm (no offense).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was Geno highly requested during the ballot period? I don't remember a huge amount of support here, but, I don't really remember.

At this point, the only thing I could see holding Geno back is the potential lack of ballot votes and licensing. But I don't think that'll be a huge issue.
Geno's support skyrocketed during the ballot period compared to Smash 4 speculation. There was a whole social media campaign.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Skull needs to be treated separately from popular characters like Geno or Isaac. If those 2 get in, it's largely due to the Ballot (and a little bit of Sakurai bias). Skull Kid has plenty of hints to his inclusion at the moment, and is likely just one of the characters that Sakurai chose for the game because Zelda needs a new character anyway and he's probably the next character in the Zelda franchise that would make it, given that his game just got a remake. It likely has nothing to do with popularity for him (yes, I 100% know he's popular, in just talking about the ballot).

Which is fine, if people are bandwagoning a character now that has a big chance to get in, let them enjoy it and be excited. It harms no one that people want the character now, due to Loz's leak, or hints from what we've seen or haven't seen, etc.

Y'all are too harsh on people for that.

Geno's support skyrocketed during the ballot period compared to Smash 4 speculation. There was a whole social media campaign.
This, the names you repeatedly heard during the Ballot were always Isaac, Geno, K. Rool, and Banjo Kazooie. On repeat. Literally everywhere.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The reason Skull Kid never got much support has nothing to do with popularity. He's very popular. It's just that he has to compete with a ton of other popular Zelda characters. Impa, Vaati, Beast Ganon, Midna, Ghirahim, Groose, Lana, and now the four champions. Impa especially got a large following because she's a reaccuring character, so people felt like she was the most likely. Now that Skull Kid has a leak going for him, a lot of his fans now feel like he's likey and are willing to support him. I really doubt it's just 100% bandwagon.
The only notable issue that Skull Kid has is that much like with Midna and Ghirahim, the Skull Kid who wore Majora's Mask isn't exactly a recurring character in the mainstream titles.

Anyway, while I am indifferent about Skull Kid's fate, for the most part, I feel that Impa has better odds of making the playable cut, especially if she's merely Sheik's Echo Fighter.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
I feel like some of you are forgetting that Skull Kid got revealed as an Assist Trophy early on in Smash 4’s hype cycle, killing any support he might have had going into Smash 4 and beyond. Had he not been AT’d, I’m certain he would have been one of the big, big names going into the Ballot period.

Now we have the Moon, by itself, as an Assist Trophy, and Skull Kid nowhere to be found. That’s odd, and imo a very good sign, so it makes sense that Skull Kid fans would be more active now. We finally have some hope to latch onto.
This

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
EDIT
Ignore this, misread the post I was replying to.

“My b”
-Kashan "Chillindude" Khan

Last edited:

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
I feel like no matter what statistic you report on popularity, there are always some sort of underlying factor that can skew results. (i.e. People who do not voice their opinions). Also, while popular picks would draw in a lot of hype. I just want the rest of the newcomers to look awesome and feel great to play honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom