• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
If Shantae, Shovel knight fans are gonna be salty, even though they shouldn't be.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
But then that means someone had to tell Vergeben "Square's getting a character. idk who."

I don't see how that information would be readily available unless he has an insider at Square and they say "we're working on Smash." (in which case, could it be other things for Cloud instead?) IT just seems weird that nobody would have brought the character name along.
Yeah, I'm really not sure how the name wouldn't be identified, but leaking is a weird "business" and tons of things can happen along the way, if it's legit then I can only guess that whoever is the source of the leak didn't want to name the character specifically to try and protect his job (but then again, why leak anything at all then).

For the record he does say the source is "The one you know about", so I guess it's the Simon source? Either way, if it's true I have no doubt that it's Geno.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Crono will get in....

Yet ironically his music will be the theme’s of every character in the game except for Crono.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
For the Next SSB, should both Veterans and Newcomers be given actual combat moves in case they run out of source material to work with? Like, DK having a grappling move? I'd replacr Headbutt with that!

I know this in controversial, but I want to see more "FIGHT" in the "Fighters'" animations.

Fox, Falco, and Captain Falcon are good examples of what I'm talking about.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
The only other Square Enix character I seriously see joining the roster would be Geno, who's likeness made it into Smash already as a Mii Costume. Chrono and Zack Fair as a Cloud clone seem like a stretch, and Sora just doesn't seem feasible/realizable at this point.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I got nothing for Pokémon, and I can only think of a Tekken/Soul Caliber/Pac-Man rep alongside Sora/Tifa...cause idk

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
For the Next SSB, should both Veterans and Newcomers be given actual combat moves in case they run out of source material to work with? Like, DK having a grappling move? I'd replacr Headbutt with that!

I know this in controversial, but I want to see more "FIGHT" in the "Fighters'" animations.

I don't think that's necessary.
The only other Square Enix character I seriously see joining the roster would be Geno, who's likeness made it into Smash already as a Mii Costume. Chrono and Zack Fair as a Cloud clone seem like a stretch, and Sora just doesn't seem feasible/realizable at this point.
Sora is Disney, not Square-Enix

Last edited:

ThreeT

Smash Apprentice
Can someone catch me up on Verge? Did he say there was going to be a Namco Bandai Rep or was that false?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Here we go again, this is like the last time an Indies showcase was announced. It is extremely unlikely Smash is even going to be brought up here. Doing such a thing would be detrimental to the Indies being showcased and take all the attention away from the game they're actually trying to promote.

As far as Geno, I've never really understood his appeal frankly. I loved Super Mario RPG enough, but I never really cared all that much for Geno even within the game he was featured in, he was kind of the least interesting character in the entire party for me. He's kind of in the catagory of characters like Waluigi, Isabelle, or Ashley who's appeal I never quite understood.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Hmmm Travis Strikes Back wasn't shown at all in the last so maybe we can see that and at least get a release date (do we already have one). If Travis we're in I could mayyyyybe see this as the time he gets announced but probably nothing lol. At least it's another direct to look forward to, especially so soon. Hopefully we still get a general direct in September.

Ok so Vergeben denied the 2 Bandi Namco characters...which is good because I honestly don't want that many more third parties all from one company too lol. But he's saying Square now. Honestly could just be him throwing a guess on Geno since most are predicting him now.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here?

D

Deleted member

This waiting is killing me. I thought I'd be satisfied for awhile after the quintuple reveal of Dark Samus, Chrom, Richter, Simon, and K. Rool; the latter of which i was super hoping for; but I've just gotten even more hungry for news. Darn my insatiable greed! Darn you, December 7th release! So close, yet so far!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This is working out to be a lot of third parties for the base game...I said hypocritically as three of my top six, including my top two, are all third party...
I wonder if they're already starting to put out feelers and make the legal deals for DLC. It is about the time the character team would be ready to plan movesets and the like.

Or conversely, are there other examples of characters in the game...as assists? Bomberman, Rathalos, and Shovel Knight are third-party assists only, so I wouldn't be surprised if other series get that as well - particularly if the series is not a household name.

D

Deleted member

Crono's only chance would be that Sakurai saw the overall popularity of CT because if he didm't do well in these fan polls, I doubt a casual fanbase helped him. Doesn't help the only thing CT ever got was some ****ty ports and a DS "remake", it's deader than Mother and Square doesn't seem to care about it. He'll be the dream that will never be realized.

It's gonna be Geno, we were all predicting him before anyways, Sakurai wanted him yada yada.

D

Deleted member

This is working out to be a lot of third parties for the base game...I said hypocritically as three of my top six, including my top two, are all third party...
I wonder if they're already starting to put out feelers and make the legal deals for DLC. It is about the time the character team would be ready to plan movesets and the like.

Or conversely, are there other examples of characters in the game...as assists? Bomberman, Rathalos, and Shovel Knight are third-party assists only, so I wouldn't be surprised if other series get that as well - particularly if the series is not a household name.
I dont think they'll be thinking of anything DLC focused until the game goes Gold, which is typically about a month before intended release. Sakurai seems pretty devoted to making sure this game is perfect; which means all hands on deck for what's already in the game. They'll devote time and resources to matters of DLC after it's good and ready. In other words, I wouldn't expect them to drawing up conceptual DLC movesets until November; late October at the earliest.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Namco Predictions

Heihachi (Playable)
Lloyd Irving (Assist Trophy)
Gilgamesh (Assist Trophy)
Ms. Pac Man ɛ (Echo Fighter)
Galaga (Item)
Dig Dug (Item)
Klonoa's Ring (Item)
Nightmare (Boss)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Namco Predictions

Heihachi (Playable)
Lloyd Irving (Assist Trophy)
Gilgamesh (Assist Trophy)
Ms. Pac Man ɛ (Echo Fighter)
Galaga (Item)
Dig Dug (Item)
Klonoa's Ring (Item)
Nightmare (Boss)
My predictions:
Heihachi (Playable)
Lloyd Irving (Playable)
Ms. Pac-Man (Alph/Koopalings styled Alt for Pac-Man)
No echoes
KOS-MOS (Assist Trophy)
Supporting Tales of Symphonia character like Collette, Raine or Genis (Assist Trophy)
Something .hack related (either AT, item, or Boss)
Dark Sun Gwyndolin (Boss; I mean Dark Souls is TECHNICALLY Bandai Namco)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Yeah, but they've also rejected Sora apparering in titles.

Wasn't he rejected from being in that FF Fighting game?

Or is that just a rumor?
Well, originally they had Dissidia was supposed to be a KH Fighting game rather than FF.

However, Nomura felt that it would feel weird to hit Disney characters so he instead told the team to switch to FF characters instead.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Square Enix Predictions

Geno (Playable)
Chocobo (Item) - Ride it
Slime (Assist Trophy)
Lara Croft (Assist Trophy)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As far as Geno, I've never really understood his appeal frankly. I loved Super Mario RPG enough, but I never really cared all that much for Geno even within the game he was featured in, he was kind of the least interesting character in the entire party for me. He's kind of in the catagory of characters like Waluigi, Isabelle, or Ashley who's appeal I never quite understood.
Geno has always been one of the most random popular characters to me. I get the appeal of his mysterious "cool" personality, but I've never looked at him the same way as others have. He's not particularly important to the franchise, he's extremely underdeveloped compared to the other SMRPG characters, his design looks like something you'd find off of DeviantArt, and without Smash speculation, he probably would've died off a long time ago.

I'm glad Sakurai is listening to the fans more with this game, and I'd be happy for his supporters if he gets in. Personally, I just don't see Geno as a good addition to the roster. Until he actually does something within the Mario universe, he'll always come across to me as that one random spin-off character who doesn't really fit in with the other eight members of the Mario cast.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Square Enix prediction:
Cloud (playable)

yeah, that's all folks.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I also predict we are only going to get 2 FF tracks.
Dang it SQUARE ENIX!
Helps that the Smash Direct shows Final Fantasy only having 2 tracks...maybe we’ll have an extra song if we’re lucky

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know everyone is sad we are getting only two FF music tracks, but....
Hey thirty six Castlevania tracks is a plus?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Square Enix Predictions

Geno (Playable)
Chocobo (Item) - Ride it
Slime (Assist Trophy)
My predictions:
Neku (Playable)
Zack e (Cloud echo)
2B (Assist Trophy)
Sho Minamimoto (Assist Trophy)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm expecting Geno.

That being said, I'm hoping for either Lara Croft or (assuming Vergeben's source is classically-misinformed as to true company ownership) Sora.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Just gonna throw it out there.
People saying that 103 stages is the absolute final count have the same mindset as people who claimed the '66 fighters!' quote on the website meant there were no more new character to reveal. Don't take a pre-release 'final count' as an absolute.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Square Enix Predictions

Geno (Playable)
Chocobo (Item) - Ride it
Slime (Assist Trophy)
LEGIT MAD.

Why?

She's an icon, that's as big as Cloud.

Don't how she would work but hey just give her a bow and arrow, Cloud has his Advent Children costume so screw it.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Just gonna throw it out there.
People saying that 103 stages is the absolute final count have the same mindset as people who claimed the '66 fighters!' quote on the website meant there were no more new character to reveal. Don't take a pre-release 'final count' as an absolute.
I just think its funny when you have the same person saying this is the final stage count also say we're still getting Banjo, Goku, etc. So let me see...wouldn't we also get a stage for Banjo, Goku, if they make it in? Wouldn't that increase the number of stages?

I'll believe the final stage count after the final roster is confirmed, and no, I don't want Banku...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom