• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
heheh that comment is like:

Hey Verg here, my sources say that we may be getting a new zelda character that debuted on the nintendo 64, but i'm still not really sure who would be, i only heard that is not important from the Ocarina of time game... who could it be? jeeez such a mistery....

Meanwhile, enjoy Chocobo your new square enix rep!

just kidding, everyone know that if we gate another square enix character it will be from super mario rpg someone that some user of this forums have been expecting, and praying to sakurai to finally made it into smash bros!....

enjoy Boshi! the new SE rep!

SirCamp

Smash Ace
It's a shame most people pushing for Sceptile just wanted him to "fill the starter type trio!" because Sceptile is a legitimately cool Pokemon and Pokken in particular can show just how much you can do with a plant-based moveset.
I agree its a shame. And Sceptile is definitely a cool pokemon in its own right (though I actually prefer Grovyle myself). It's unfortunate because I actually really like the grass type and I think it kind of got the shaft with Ivysaur being sort of the red headed step child pokemon of pokemon trainer. I feel like it's the least popular/noteworthy of that trio. At least it's something though.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Dude, I’m all about plant-based movesets. Specifically like Sceptile’s sprouting vines in Pokken.
I like Villagers tree and that is pretty much the whole reason I even like him.
Give me a character who actually grows plants from the ground to attack. I’ll paint your house. I’ll wax your damn turtle.
Do you know who has a grow plants from the ground attack? Marx.
Do you know who was the last Kirby character created by Sakurai? Maybe Dynablade MARX.
It's a match made in heaven.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I find it interesting to compare the renders of Mewtwo between Pokken and Smash Ultimate.
They're vastly different takes on the character which I both love

Smash Ultimate's Mewtwo looks really small with rounded with simple colors. It's kinda cute, really and it fits with his original watercolor art from Gen 1. While it's strong-looking, it feels like something you could catch if you tried hard enough.

... Pokken's Mewtwo looks FLIPPING EVIL. Like, you really could believe that this alien creature could just wipe out an island with just his mind, or just straight up punch you into space. ****'s menacing as all hell.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Don't forget Dragon Quest and Sakurai's love of gaming history. It might be on the table considering FF still only has two songs.
True..its down to what character in DQ though, aside from Slime (which has no hands to hold items with), there's no stand out DQ character. I guess Erdrick/Loto could work though.

Be kinda funny to have an Akira Toriyama design and it's not Goku lol

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Sceptile is the coolest grass starter to me. The entire evolutionary line is fantastic. I feel that way towards all the gen 3 starters.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So Vergeben is speaking again.

He disconfirmed that rumor about two Namco characters but he also said something... interesting.
I assume either another Final Fantasy character or Sora
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Never played Bayonetta myself, yet I have it on my PS3. heard it's a ****ty port.
You only need both 1 and 2 on the Switch...the only version of the games that matter

JohannFKNFaust

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SamaelDevonJudd
Switch FC
SW 5644 9593 9010
I high key really want Skullkid, Geno (I'd say Sora for the second Square rep, but... that's unlikely) εOctolings (Squidlings) Waluigi (YES I'M ONE OF THOSE, DAISY IS IN NOW, I HOPE THEY COMPLETE THE SET) εDixie Kong, εShadow, εKen, εMs. Pac-Man, εMedusa. That's not all of what I'd like to see BUT I am a heavy advocate in Echo Fighters obviously which people find weird.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
lol everyone dismisses Dragon Quest as a possibility and honestly I can't fathom why. I think it's actually a very compelling, and frankly likely, option for a new character from Square

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I assume either another Final Fantasy character or Sora

You only need both 1 and 2 on the Switch...the only version of the games that matter
It's not going to be a Final Fantasy Character unless they are from FF7

The icon in Smash specifically states it's FF7 and the website also has Cloud specifically as a representative of FF7

They could give each FF a seperate icon. By why? Also why would FF7 get the FF symbol instead of the meteor?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I find it interesting to compare the renders of Mewtwo between Pokken and Smash Ultimate.

Smash Ultimate's Mewtwo looks really rounded with simple colors. It's kinda cute, really and it fits with his original watercolor art from Gen 1.
Pokken's Mewtwo looks FLIPPING EVIL. Like, you really could believe that this alien creature could just wipe out an island with just his mind.
While I'm still not fond of some of the shininess in Pokken's designs, it definitely works a ton better than some other game we briefly mentioned *coughjumpforcecough*

The Pokken Mewtwo looks really scary and alien in a different way. It's an interesting contrast, while I prefer the design approach to Smash's Mewtwo, Pokken's definitely strikes a chord with me in a different way.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Smash Ultimate's Mewtwo looks really small with rounded with simple colors. It's kinda cute, really and it fits with his original watercolor art from Gen 1.
Pokken's Mewtwo looks FLIPPING EVIL. Like, you really could believe that this alien creature could just wipe out an island with just his mind, or just straight up punch you. ****'s cool.
Yeah, Pokkén went with a more realistic take, as they've said in interviews, which also make Pokkén's Mewtwo look more like the movie one, while Smash's is based more on Mewtwo's main games artwork.
It's not going to be a Final Fantasy Character unless they are from FF7

The icon in Smash specifically states it's FF7 and the website also has Cloud specifically as a representative of FF7

They could give each FF a seperate icon. By why? Also why would FF7 get the FF symbol instead of the meteor?
They could always change it, it'd be simple to just remove the VII from menus.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Like him or not...

And it's hard to like him considering his personality, but to believe Verge doesn't have any info about Smash at all is a little weird at this point.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
lol everyone dismisses Dragon Quest as a possibility and honestly I can't fathom why. I think it's actually a very compelling, and frankly likely, option for a new character from Square
One thing I've noticed is that people gather around a "name" when they push for a character.
When a character has no canonical name and/or multiple protagonists, you'll find that support is almost always weaker than what it theoretically should be.

Also, JRPGs are a rather niche franchise and not many people play them, so that adds to the difficulty in pushing for a character from a certain franchise.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Unless the criminal record makes Yoshi more bad***.

Edit: dear mods, I wasn't trying to dodge the censors, forgive me
For some reason the word isn't censored. And it's likely due to how its usage is very different anyway.

-----------

That said, I'd love Geno to be in. Though the only other Square-Enix character I'd like is Slime.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, Pokkén went with a more realistic take, as they've said in interviews, which also make Pokkén's Mewtwo look more like the movie one, while Smash's is based more on Mewtwo's main games artwork.

They could always change it, it'd be simple to just remove the VII from menus.
They could always do a lot of things, but I don't think we have a reason to believe they will considering it was in the direct. If they REALLY wanted to avoid it not saying FF7 they could have just not scrolled over it

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
One thing I've noticed is that people gather around a "name" when they push for a character.
When a character has no canonical name and/or multiple protagonists, you'll find that support is almost always weaker than what it technically should be.

Also, JRPGs are a rather niche franchise and not many people play them, so that adds to the difficulty in pushing for a character from a certain franchise.
The 90’s and early 2000’s were pretty prime for RPG’s. They were prominent, then and most who have moved on would still love to see those old characters brought back. Such as Geno and Cloud.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Sceptile is the coolest grass starter to me. The entire evolutionary line is fantastic. I feel that way towards all the gen 3 starters.
But...but...Chikorita. Bayleaf. Meganium. They are all 10/10 designs. Sceptiles tail also weirds me out like crazy

StormC

Smash Hero
-Series is niche in the west (pretty much every third party in Smash has some sort of global popularity)
-Lacks a compelling, popular character that everyone could rally behind to be playable in Smash (not Slime, that's for sure)
-Practically no demand either in Japan or elsewhere for a Dragon Quest character

The only reason you could say a DQ character is likely is because the series is popular in Japan, which so far, has not given us Monster Hunter as a fighter.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Probably because it's much more influential in Japan and not here. I personally think theres a chance of a DQ character, not a super huge one. But it's there.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Everyone dismissing Dragon Quest and I'm over here like a 90's kid who just wants to get slimed.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Probably because it's much more influential in Japan and not here. I personally think theres a chance of a DQ character, not a super huge one. But it's there.
Isn't DQ MASSIVE in Japan? I'm honestly shocked there hasn't been a rep before

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Late but I'd be stoked for Boshi or Birdo honestly. Birdo is one of my favorite Mario characters so making her a Yoshi Echo Fighter with, say, Dedede's Inhale would be fine by me. Meanwhile, I like Boshi's design and he could probably mooch off of Geno's reveal if he gets in. Wouldn't place bets on either of them though.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also Sakurai has stated the ballot is a major factor this time in selecting characters and Geno got tons more votes than any other Square character

Other options I've thought up are Erdrick from Dragon Quest and Lara Croft. Not to mention Sora, but he's a Disney character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom