• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Isn't DQ MASSIVE in Japan? I'm honestly shocked there hasn't been a rep before
Very massive.
Slime, the mascot, probably is only beaten by Pikachu in terms of sheer marketability.
So popular in fact that every single console always has a Japan exclusive Slime special edition.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
-Series is niche in the west (pretty much every third party in Smash has some sort of global popularity)
-Lacks a compelling, popular character that everyone could rally behind to be playable in Smash (not Slime, that's for sure)
-Practically no demand either in Japan or elsewhere for a Dragon Quest character

The only reason you could say a DQ character is likely is because the series is popular in Japan, which so far, has not given us Monster Hunter as a fighter.
Beyond popularity, it is a very influential and important series to gaming in general. Or at least to the JRPG genre. That alone is something that I think should qualify it's potential representation. It just seems like something Sakurai would appreciate, but who knows. Also I think the supposed lack of popularity in the west is overstated. It's certainly not super popular or on the level of Final Fantasy, but I would definitely not call it niche.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The only thing is, there is no Dragon Quest character in ballot research that did significant on the polls

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
I don't see why Slime can't be a 3rd party newcomer. He's iconic to the point that he's recognizable to those who aren't familiar with Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest itself is a popular series that has had many outings on Nintendo consoles, and there are many types of Slimes and Monsters that Slime can borrow moves from (Much like Ness and Lucas borrow moves from the "Black Mages" of their respective games).

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
lol everyone dismisses Dragon Quest as a possibility and honestly I can't fathom why. I think it's actually a very compelling, and frankly likely, option for a new character from Square
can you name a Dragon Quest characters name (probably not Erdrick though because his name comes up a lot in the smashboards and he is only in DQ3 from 1988)?
DQ is popular in Japan but it hasnt done well overseas.
Ive only played DQ9 where you make your own character (side note this is an amazing game)
all the other DQ games you have a character that you don't make I only know like 2 of the characters names just because you could get their weapons in DQ9.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it's a Dragon Quest character it's going to be Erdrick and Slime will probably make a cameo in his taunts or moveset

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I do think Vergeben has sources but it's still humorous to me that anytime he speaks forums stop everything and talk about him, and YouTubers make videos about him. I'm not the least bit surprised that he likes attention. He can breathe and gain everyone's attention.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Is it weird that I did a text impersonation of Zinith talking about Yoshi and feel worried he hasn’t responded? Like, I don’t wanna offend my boi. I feel like he would find me, egg me, roll into my legs and drop his ass on me while I’m down just to show me what’s up. And I mostly don’t want that.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Eh I don't take our own ballot research to seriously. Particularly the data that people have tried to gather from Japan. And beyong that, while I agree that the ballot is a major factor this time, I don't think it will be the only one. I think Elma still has a chance as well, for a couple reasons, but I very much doubt she would have gotten in due to ballot popularity.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I don't see why Slime can't be a 3rd party newcomer. He's iconic to the point that he's recognizable to those who aren't familiar with Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest itself is a popular series that has had many outings on Nintendo consoles, and there are many types of Slimes and Monsters that Slime can borrow moves from (Much like Ness and Lucas borrow moves from the "Black Mages" of their respective games).
While it's not impossible, Slime isn't really playable. You'd be much better off having a DQ character use Slime in their moveset

Besides, Slime's popular, but a "Cool" looking DQ character could be used for advertising

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Speaking of videos

papagenos papagenos needs to see this and make a video on it

Potentially Geno news

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I find it interesting to compare the renders of Mewtwo between Pokken and Smash Ultimate.
They're vastly different takes on the character which I both love

Smash Ultimate's Mewtwo looks really small with rounded with simple colors. It's kinda cute, really and it fits with his original watercolor art from Gen 1. While it's strong-looking, it feels like something you could catch if you tried hard enough.

... Pokken's Mewtwo looks FLIPPING EVIL. Like, you really could believe that this alien creature could just wipe out an island with just his mind, or just straight up punch you into space. ****'s menacing as all hell.
While something always seems off to Pokken's renders to me, I love seeing the pokemon move in action. I used to hate both of Mewtwo's Mega forms until that game taught me just how awesome its X form could be.

I think the main difference is that while Smash and main series Pokemon go for a cartoonish, anime-esque design, Pokken attempts to imagine what these pokemon would look like in real life. Mewtwo is a freak of nature who'd be terrifying if he was real, just stuck with somewhat cutesy art-style (which I still love btw).

I really ought to play Pokken more often.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
The only thing is, there is no Dragon Quest character in ballot research that did significant on the polls
I'd say it's likely DQ had the same issue Final Fantasy had, where the votes were split between the various different leads.

StormC

Smash Hero
Beyond popularity, it is a very influential and important series to gaming in general. Or at least to the JRPG genre. That alone is something that I think should qualify it's potential representation. It just seems like something Sakurai would appreciate, but who knows. Also I think the supposed lack of popularity in the west is overstated. It's certainly not super popular or on the level of Final Fantasy, but I would definitely not call it niche.
Dragon Quest is pretty niche in the west. The title is fairly recognizable to gamers, but not a lot have played it. Have any DQ games sold a million here?

SirCamp

Smash Ace
can you name a Dragon Quest characters name (probably not Erdrick though because his name comes up a lot in the smashboards and he is only in DQ3 from 1988)?
DQ is popular in Japan but it hasnt done well overseas.
Ive only played DQ9 where you make your own character (side note this is an amazing game)
all the other DQ games you have a character that you don't make I only know like 2 of the characters names just because you could get their weapons in DQ9.
Probably Trodain from DQ 8. The game did rather well in the West I thought. I doubt he would be the character chosen if there was one though.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
The power of the Smash fanbase, get a character whose appeared once in an rpg from 1996 in over a rep of the jrpg genre's most classic franchise.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Just want to mention that Sakurai has previously gone on record that he has considered Geno and Heihachi, meaning these are picks he likes. If Square and Bamco get 2 more characters, they'd likely be the 2 he has wanted in the game already.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
While something always seems off to Pokken's renders to me, I love seeing the pokemon move in action. I used to hate both of Mewtwo's Mega forms until that game taught me just how awesome its X form could be.

I think the main difference is that while Smash and main series Pokemon go for a cartoonish, anime-esque design, Pokken attempts to imagine what these pokemon would look like in real life. Mewtwo is a freak of nature who'd be terrifying if he was real, just stuck with somewhat cutesy art-style (which I still love btw).

I really ought to play Pokken more often.
Lol, Pokken even made stretchy arms look cool.

Wambo

Smash Ace
We didn't hear anything about K.Rool before his announcement, and Ridley was just a lucky guess. I'm sure if Geno is in, he's a heavily guarded secret as well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We didn't hear anything about K.Rool before his announcement, and Ridley was just a lucky guess. I'm sure if Geno is in, he's a heavily guarded secret as well.
People know things, they just don't share them.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Or the characters themselves make them leak proof.

How many millions of people have "leaked" K.Rool, Geno, and Ridley since before Sm4sh? Since before BRAWL even.

Enchess

Smash Lord
But what about Typhlosion and Samurott?
I was just responding to the "best grass starter". Although, as far as water goes, Wartortle and Primarina are my favorite single forms with Samurott being my favorite family. On fire, I absolutely adore Cyndaquil, like Charizard, and don't really like any families as a whole, so I guess I gotta go Charizard family because it's my favorite 3rd form fire starter.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I've only played a bit of SMRPG, so can someone explain what makes Geno so special? He seemed pretty generic when I was playing. His design is unique and he could have interesting moves, but I don't get what made him beloved by so many.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Mostly his lack of limbs to grab & hold items, characters, ledges, etc.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Here's the deal, even if we accept that Dragon Quest is somewhat niche in the West (I still don't think niche is the right word, but whatever), I don't think the series to be discounted like it does. Not every character is going to be hugely popular in the West and I think to expect that is a little silly and at worst Western centric. Sakurai has brought up not wanting to add a character that no body knows in the West in the past, like Takamaru, but I think DQ has a different situation. Because even if they don't recognize the character itself immediately most Western gamers will recognize the series itself and many will even understand its importance. The character would still have context for Western gamers, which I think is the biggest issue a niche Japanese series would potentially face.

Truly though, I think the series' legacy to gaming history is important enough to see its inclusion. We'll see in time is Sakurai agrees.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
...why not Geno?
I just gotta ask.
Because...**** I forgot about him
It's not going to be a Final Fantasy Character unless they are from FF7

The icon in Smash specifically states it's FF7 and the website also has Cloud specifically as a representative of FF7

They could give each FF a seperate icon. By why? Also why would FF7 get the FF symbol instead of the meteor?
Well Bayonetta has the 2nd game’s logo representing her, so I assume those two have a specific logo to represent their origin and/or most recent appearance...though idk I’m just guessing...also note how I never said a name for any FF character

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
if it's sora, i imagine it's being guarded like crazy.
I could 100% see Sora only because SE can see it as marketing for Kingdom Hearts 3.

But I'm always confused because people always say "SE owns Sora...no wait, Disney does!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom