• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

To be fair, so is the screw-attack. And technically you can count fireflower in that category as well.
-sigh-
I am so sick and tired of people that use the Screw Attack as a counterpoint. IT DOESN'T WORK.

a. Samus debuted in Smash first. The Screw Attack item came after Samus was already in Smash.
b. The Screw Attack only represents a SINGLE ATTACK in Samus' moveset, not her MAIN WEAPON.
c. Samus isn't even shown wielding the Screw Attack itself when she uses the move.
Do you know what the Screw Attack is? Just a power-up that allows Samus to perform the technique. It never appears on her like a badge nor as an orb she can hold like in Melee.

As for the Fire Flower?
Do Mario/Luigi actually use the Fire Flower to shoot Fireballs, or is it just a power-up that allows them to?
Hell, the Fire Flower just lets people shoot flamethrowers rather than gives them the ability to shoot Fireballs, anyway.

Until we get something like the Master Sword as a usable item, we have no valid counterpoint to the Lip's Stick item.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Those are one move power ups. Lip's Stick is essentially her main weapon. It would be like having the Master Sword or Manado as an item.
The only counter I can come up with right now is homerun bat for Ness, but that doesn't really count. I think Lip's Stick being an item is a strong point against her, but not flatout deconfirmation.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
But Ridley had huge fan demand that caused Sakurai to reconsider. Heihachi has some fans, but nothing in comparison to Ridley.
I think thats beside the point. If Sakurai wants to make Heihachi work in smash, he can. The difference is, now Bamco (Tekken's owners) is making the game with him.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Inb4 it's not actually Geno but Noctis due to square shoving him all over the place and milking FFXV to death. How would you feel?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
-sigh-
I am so sick and tired of people that use the Screw Attack as a counterpoint. IT DOESN'T WORK.

a. Samus debuted in Smash first. The Screw Attack item came after Samus was already in Smash.
b. The Screw Attack only represents a SINGLE ATTACK in Samus' moveset, not her MAIN WEAPON.
c. Samus isn't even shown wielding the Screw Attack itself when she uses the move.

As for the Fire Flower?
Do Mario/Luigi actually use the Fire Flower to shoot Fireballs, or is it just a power-up that allows them to?

Until we get something like the Master Sword as a usable item, we have no valid counterpoint to the Lip's Stick item.
Ness’ baseball bat? Banana peels and Diddy. I don’t know what you guys are talking about, but hopefully this helps...one of you?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For my feeling on Gen 3 Pokemon... well see the quote in my sig.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if they are going to add one of the main protagonists who would they go with? Would they choose Hero, Hero, Hero, or do they go the unexpected route and add Hero?

I'm personally a fan of Hero myself.
A good idea could be to have each skin colour a different Hero much like how bowser Jr works and inklings costumes work. I'd actually be okay with that although Id prefer Sora as a character Hero would be fine as well (I gotta remain realistic)

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Also just how many Square Reps would be too much? Geno, Sora (soughta), FF characters, Lara Croft, dragon quest, chrono O.O

There characters get requested frequently; I wonder how Square feels

D

Deleted member

Ness’ baseball bat? Banana peels and Diddy. I don’t know what you guys are talking about, but hopefully this helps...one of you?
Home-Run Bat is a Smash-original item that doesn't relate to Earthbound.
Diddy spawns the actual item, and banana peels aren't even remotely close to his main weapon in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
If Pokemon gets a new rep it has to be from Sun/Moon. I just finished the first season of the Pokemon Sun/Moon anime and Lycanrock has gotten a lot of spotlight. I'd be down with Lycanrock being a playable character. Another cool idea would be to add a Kanto Pokemon as a playable character and have their Alolan form as an echo fighter.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Actually, scrap my old list of best starter pokemon of each type. I've got a new one.

Water - Silvally
Grass - Silvally
Fire - Silvally
Electric - Silvally
Normal - Type: Null

What? He's Gladion's starter. He counts.

D

Deleted member

I think thats beside the point. If Sakurai wants to make Heihachi work in smash, he can. The difference is, now Bamco (Tekken's owners) is making the game with him.
There is no difference.
Bamco was part of Smash's development team before. Why do you think Pac-Man was there along with other Namco-related content?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
If it really is Geno that wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. He's a character I've always seen tons of support for and is honestly who I would've picked next in line after K Rool and Ridley.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
And that does far more harm than good no matter what, since the leads are never used for guest roles in the first place.
If there's one thing you can say about the Dragon Quest team, it's that they recognize the main characters of a JRPG are almost always outshined by the supporting characters. Not sure I'd say the same thing about Sakurai tho

Enchess

Smash Lord
-sigh-

As for the Fire Flower?

I agreed with Godzilla's point on this, but can't agree with yours. (a) The Metroid Screw Attack item (a permanent suit upgrade) debuted with Samus not after her. (b) this assumes Lip's moveset a bit too much. maybe she would only use the stick for B-moves for all we know. (c) she is weilding the Screw Attack item, you just don't see it reflected visually on her suit, just like it Metroid. If you asked anyone before the distinct Smash Screw Attack item was introduced if Samus weilds the Screw Attack in Smash during her Up-B they'd say yes

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
So, I have an interesting topic to bring up.

Yoshi and F-Zero are currently the only Original 10 series to not have an item. (or new fighter :p)

Now that Fire Emblem finally has an item, what could make for Yoshi and F-Zero items?

I’m hoping for Poochy as a Yoshi AT.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
But does he want that? He considered it before and was working with Bamco before, but decided against it because of the moveset. That just doesn't sound like he wants it that bad.

Pooty

Smash Rookie
I’m new to the forums so excuse me if I’m doing something wrong. I’m just curious what newcomers everyone is expecting right now. I read something regarding Ken from vergeben, and I previously heard Isabelle has a good chance of being an echo fighter. Are there any leaks/rumors going around?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Thank you for being cooperative. That other guy, man. Making me go to sites and stuff.
Actually, I'll do the extra step:

Yoshi and F-Zero are currently the only Original 10 series to not have an item. (or new fighter :p)

Now that Fire Emblem finally has an item, what could make for Yoshi and F-Zero items?

A funny thought I had was to have a "Fuzzy" item where if you touched it you started to sway uncontrollably like you were on drugs.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If there's one thing you can say about the Dragon Quest team, it's that they recognize the main characters of a JRPG are almost always outshined by the supporting characters. Not sure I'd say the same thing about Sakurai tho
Yeah, Dragon Quest Heroes and Heroes 2 legit had ZERO protagonists.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord

F-Zero - doesn't Goroh AT count? If not, I really can't think of anything other than the repair pads, which are redundant with that new healing bud thing

Yoshi - something from Yoshi Story for sure. Maybe the weird bouncing numbered frog(?) guys. They could drop randomly (items, not AT) and once 2 are on field, touching one teleports you to the other.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman

I think Yoshi makes up for it by having 5 or 6 stages, thats the most for a single character. same for falcon its just he only has 4 stages or 5 (couldn't be bothered looking at the site just used my memorie XP )

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
That's a good point. On a slightly related note Here is Goomba rowing a boat. He has also played baseball on multiple occasions. Smash Ultimate's policy on playable characters may be a bit different than Super Mario Party's though.
Probably different. It would look weirder to have items floating around Slime in Smash then in a wackier game like Mario Party.
Sakurai is in a weird place with more Square Enix representation beyond Cloud.

He's got a tall order to fill with the long standing Geno request, but there are a few of other iconic franchises and characters that slide into the Smash world that are going to capture a certain mass attention Geno won't.

But the thing is? If you add them, but you don't add Geno. You get a lot of Geno fans saying ''K Rool and Ridley fans go their wish.", but if you add Geno? You have fans of other FF icons, DragonQuest icons, Sora, Lara Croft, etc going ''Why not them instead?"
Well..for Sora, it's due to being Disney.
There isn't much demand for Lara Croft, or any of the non-JP SE IPs.
Just watch Geno enter the fray and be counted as a Mario character.
That's gonna mess with everyone.
I think everyone is expecting Geno to have the Mushroom Emblem, he is a Mario character even if he's 3rd Party.

SirCamp

Smash Ace

Not exactly your question but this is actually why I have my suspicions that we will see both Yarn Yoshi and Black Shadow as echo fighters. Or perhaps Boshi or Birdo. I just have a feeling we're going to get Yoshi and Captain Falcon echo fighters.

Though I do sort of expect a Poochy assist trophy.

Last edited:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
I wouldn't use "literally" here. SMRPG is well-regarded by most "grown-up", older gamers. It's certainly left a legacy.
I guarantee you if he were to be confirmed, a good chunk of people would say "oh, I remember him! Glad he's back," then go back to...raising their kids.
Dang. Time really flies. But nostalgia does wild things.

You can get away with this in a Mario Party game, but in Smash, I'd wager that's very, VERY different.
I dunno man, I feel like a whole lot less people remember/know of SMRPG than we think.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
All square properties as options would be Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Bouncer, Parasite Eve, Bushido Blade, Romancing Saga, Secret of Evermore, The Mana series, Brave Fencer Musashi, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Xenogears, Alcahest, Breath of Fire, too many
More.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
omg y'all need to stop.

Sora ain't Square Enix. Sora is Disney. I've said this like 80 times.
Disney CEO guy or someone of significant importance (I remember hearing CEO) said they won't even consider Sora unless Square signed off it, then they would consider what the fans want and the best way possible to maintain Sora image if they considered it.

That is why I said sorta. If Square Teatsura Nomura denies Sora in Smash; Disney is not even considering it.

I don't even want to begin if Sakurai would even want to deal with Disney though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom