• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Water - Squirtle
Grass - Ivysaur
Fire - Charizard

There you go, the best starters of each type.

I'm actually more of a Samurott guy then a Squirtle guy.

Also Ivysaur < Sceptile < Grovyle < Mega Sceptile < Mega Venusaur

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
Just want to mention that Sakurai has previously gone on record that he has considered Geno and Heihachi, meaning these are picks he likes. If Square and Bamco get 2 more characters, they'd likely be the 2 he has wanted in the game already.
Hold up there, wasn't Heihachi selected for iconic status then passed over because of moveset difficulty? That actually seems like a point against him for me.

Also, obligatory Saki was acknowledged as highly requested and implied to be considered for Brawl. Gotta support him when opportunity presents itself.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I thought Geno was already a safe pick based on what we’ve seen so far. We don’t really need a leaker to prove that Geno could be in, although it is nice to have actual confirmation.

However, Verge did say that it was another SE character, not specifically Geno, so I guess someone else is possible?

Idk, I can’t imagine the next SE characters not being Geno and Sora.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't see why Slime can't be a 3rd party newcomer. He's iconic to the point that he's recognizable to those who aren't familiar with Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest itself is a popular series that has had many outings on Nintendo consoles, and there are many types of Slimes and Monsters that Slime can borrow moves from (Much like Ness and Lucas borrow moves from the "Black Mages" of their respective games).
Nobody wants to play as Slime in Smash. It's the same reason Final Fantasy didn't get a black mage character; the appeal of third parties is the crossover hype. They're selling the chance to have Link fight Cloud for the first time in 20 years, not to play as a generic "rep" for a company's IP.

Slime is a nobody to most gamers really. Even Simon Belmont can be recognized as the "Castlevania guy."

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
lol everyone dismisses Dragon Quest as a possibility and honestly I can't fathom why. I think it's actually a very compelling, and frankly likely, option for a new character from Square
There's only room for one character designed by Akira Toriyama in Smash...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Nobody wants to play as Slime in Smash. It's the same reason Final Fantasy didn't get a black mage character; the appeal of third parties is the crossover hype. They're selling the chance to have Link fight Cloud for the first time in 20 years, not to play as a generic "rep" for a company's IP.

Slime is a nobody to most of the general gamer public. Even Simon Belmont can be recognized as the "Castlevania guy."
This is the biggest point against Slime for me.
This same argument came up when people discussed an FF rep pre-Cloud. Always ended in Moogle or Black Mage. Turned out to be Cloud!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm surprised the idea of a DQ rep even has as much traction as it does around these parts. In my book, if Square gets a new character, it's about 80% likely to be Geno and 20% likely to be anyone else.
That said, I'm not calling Geno a lock just because Verg got a tip that a Square Enix character is in. Even I'm not fool enough to think that everything a leaker says is true just because they got some neat stuff right in the past. I was already very confident in his chances anyway, so this really doesn't affect my stance at all.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So today it's Duck Hunt Duo.

How many characters it that left? over 30?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I was just responding to the "best grass starter". Although, as far as water goes, Wartortle and Primarina are my favorite single forms with Samurott being my favorite family. On fire, I absolutely adore Cyndaquil, like Charizard, and don't really like any families as a whole, so I guess I gotta go Charizard family because it's my favorite 3rd form fire starter.
But the best fire Pokémon is Salazzle
The best water Pokémon is Golduck
The best grass Pokemon is Shiinotic

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Hold up there, wasn't Heihachi selected for iconic status then passed over because of moveset difficulty? That actually seems like a point against him for me.

Also, obligatory Saki was acknowledged as highly requested and implied to be considered for Brawl. Gotta support him when opportunity presents itself.
That was literally Ridley's problem for 10 years lol. Depends on if he went back to fix those problems. I have no idea.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'd say it's likely DQ had the same issue Final Fantasy had, where the votes were split between the various different leads.
Yeah, if they are going to add one of the main protagonists who would they go with? Would they choose Hero, Hero, Hero, or do they go the unexpected route and add Hero?

I'm personally a fan of Hero myself.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm surprised the idea of a DQ rep even has as much traction as it does around these parts. In my book, if Square gets a new character, it's about 80% likely to be Geno and 20% likely to be anyone else.
That said, I'm not calling Geno a lock just because Verg got a tip that a Square Enix character is in. Even I'm not fool enough to think that everything a leaker says is true just because they got some neat stuff right in the past.
I notice with speculation when a likely 3rd party gets hinted at, somebody brings up a much more obscure title and it suddenly becomes a hot point of contention even though it was never discussed before, if that makes sense.

Enchess

Smash Lord
There's only room for one character designed by Akira Toriyama in Smash...
I'm having a bit of an internal dilemma on whether to take the bait and make the easy "Exactly. DQ rep" joke or ignore to avoid this convo...

...oh wait... ****. Um... So how about Lip's chances for Smash? I doubt she placed high in ballot, but I bet she did well enough for Nintendo to ask why on Earth people are voting for such an obscure character. She could be cool. Would love to see her

D

Deleted member

I'd say it's likely DQ had the same issue Final Fantasy had, where the votes were split between the various different leads.
And that does far more harm than good no matter what, since the leads are never used for guest roles in the first place.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, here's something I've noticed. There's been two Pokemon newcomers added to each Smash game. All the way back to 64. Pikachu and Jigglypuff, then Pichu and Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer and Lucario, then Greninja. Yeah, For is the only outlier of all the Smash games. Unless you count Mewtwo as DLC.

I just have this strange feeling that there won't be a Pokemon Newcomer this time around but if we're following, ahem, patterns. There'll likely be two...

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
I don’t know how to feel about the possibility of Geno. He’s such a “nobody” of a character.

On the one hand, it give the impression that anyone could be a fighter if the fans are passionate enough. The whole grassroots movement to get him in would be a cool story of its own.

But he just seems so... inconsequential compared to a lot of characters that could be added, that I’d feel a little bummed out. He’s definitely not this big all-star like the Smash community would have you believe. Then again I love niche picks for fighters...

Again, not sure how I’d feel.
Yeah, I feel the exact same way. I'm not gonna be mad at anyone getting in Smash that a bunch of fans love, but I just find it so weird how everyone thinks Geno should be in Smash based off an obscure Mario RPG from decades ago, and he hasn't appeared since. Just feels weird for a character literally no one knows of outside of hardcore Smash speculators to be in a crossover of "All-Stars"

Enchess

Smash Lord
That was literally Ridley's problem for 10 years lol. Depends on if he went back to fix those problems. I have no idea.
But Ridley had huge fan demand that caused Sakurai to reconsider. Heihachi has some fans, but nothing in comparison to Ridley.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yeah, I feel the exact same way. I'm not gonna be mad at anyone getting in Smash that a bunch of fans love, but I just find it so weird how everyone thinks Geno should be in Smash based off an obscure Mario RPG from decades ago, and he hasn't appeared since. Just feels weird for a character literally no one knows of outside of hardcore Smash speculators to be in a crossover of "All-Stars"
I wouldn't use "literally" here. SMRPG is well-regarded by most "grown-up", older gamers. It's certainly left a legacy.
I guarantee you if he were to be confirmed, a good chunk of people would say "oh, I remember him! Glad he's back," then go back to...raising their kids.
Dang. Time really flies. But nostalgia does wild things.

That's a good point. On a slightly related note Here is Goomba rowing a boat. He has also played baseball on multiple occasions. Smash Ultimate's policy on playable characters may be a bit different Super Mario Party though.
You can get away with this in a Mario Party game, but in Smash, I'd wager that's very, VERY different.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smash Ultimate has the original composer of Mario RPG's music on staff.

I wonder. If Geno gets in she'll compose an awesome remix of it?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sakurai is in a weird place with more Square Enix representation beyond Cloud.

He's got a tall order to fill with the long standing Geno request, but there are a few of other iconic franchises and characters that slide into the Smash world that are going to capture a certain mass attention Geno won't.

But the thing is? If you add them, but you don't add Geno. You get a lot of Geno fans saying ''K Rool and Ridley fans go their wish.", but if you add Geno? You have fans of other FF icons, DragonQuest icons, Sora, Lara Croft, etc going ''Why not them instead?"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Slime should be an AT.
Crono should also be an AT but that ain't happening. ;_;

So, here's something I've noticed. There's been two Pokemon newcomers added to each Smash game. All the way back to 64. Pikachu and Jigglypuff, then Pichu and Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer and Lucario, then Greninja. Yeah, For is the only outlier of all the Smash games. Unless you count Mewtwo as DLC.

I just have this strange feeling that there won't be a Pokemon Newcomer this time around but if we're following, ahem, patterns. There'll likely be two...
I think one is looking the likeliest, two if we can get an easy echo. With TPC the way they are, I'll always bet on a Pokemon newcomer.

They also re-added four, which is worth keeping in mind.

Also worth keeping in mind is Gen 8 DLC seems a real plausibility.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Just watch Geno enter the fray and be counted as a Mario character.
That's gonna mess with everyone.
I'm betting he's going to.

I can't imagine him representing the "Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars" series

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace

In the "prediction" I made a couple pages ago I did predict two myself. Those being Incineroar and Gardevoir.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm having a bit of an internal dilemma on whether to take the bait and make the easy "Exactly. DQ rep" joke or ignore to avoid this convo...

...oh wait... ****. Um... So how about Lip's chances for Smash? I doubt she placed high in ballot, but I bet she did well enough for Nintendo to ask why on Earth people are voting for such an obscure character. She could be cool. Would love to see her
Coulda trolled back with Crono from Chrono Trigger.

StormC

Smash Hero
Gen 7 newcomer in the base and gen 8 as DLC seems like the most plausible outcome for Pokemon at this point.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
kamek should be the second yoshi rep
I don't disagree with you there. To be honest, Kamek fits the Villain/Rival role for Yoshi more than even my most wanted does...
Is it weird that I did a text impersonation of Zinith talking about Yoshi and feel worried he hasn’t responded? Like, I don’t wanna offend my boi. I feel like he would find me, egg me, roll into my legs and drop his *** on me while I’m down just to show me what’s up. And I mostly don’t want that.
Nah, I'm too much of a ***** to do that. I had to leave work, so that's why I didn't respond. :yoshi:
So today it's Duck Hunt Duo.

How many characters it that left? over 30?
36 to be exact

RandomAce

Smash Champion

The truth is, Pokemon is one of the easiest way to get a unique character into Smash.

There’s tons of Pokemon to select and many of them can easily stand out. That’s why I think Sakurai always picks one. And why it’s possible that there’s a Pokémon for this game as well, they’re a gold mine for new characters why would you not to?

But if we’re getting two, I’m betting a ORAS and SM Pokemon. Sceptile being the Gen 3 one since he does seem to be very popular among TPC and the fans themselves, not to mention unique grass moves, and Incineroar/Lycanroc for SM due to their moveset potential.

There’s also Gen 8 for DLC so Sakurai might add just an SM pokemon and a Gen 8 one instead.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

However?

You can still feel this quota by doing a unique Pokemon and then an Echo Pokemon. The problem is? Who gets to be the echo?

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
The more he opens his mouth, the easier it becomes to disprove him. If any of Ken, Isabelle, or Geno gets deconfirmed, or if Decidueye or Lycanroc get in, we can throw his trustworthiness out the window.

Granted, nothing he's said I've seen as particularly unlikely, except MAYBE the Minecraft content.
He didn't say it was Geno though o.9 yet...

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
To be fair, so is the screw-attack. And technically you can count fireflower in that category as well.
Those are one move power ups. Lip's Stick is essentially her main weapon. It would be like having the Master Sword or Monado as an item.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom