• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the new art style only works with still shots, but otherwise, everything else looks stiff and blocky.
Luckily, they're transitioning to a new art style with the Super movie that's more free-form, sketchy, and rounded. It looks far more fluid and natural, and they even manage to turn the dial back on "hard-edge" DBZ style occasionally.

And yeah, Jump Force looks really weird.
It's like someone saw those weird "Let's remake this retro game in Unreal 4" videos and said "Yeah, how about we put these anime characters in that plastic, photo-realistic art style!"
Oh, and I love how they brought back the tassles to his belt sash.
They give so much more motion and bounciness to his character, it makes you wonder why they ever removed them.
Totally agree. It's refreshing to see after the inconsistencies in DBS animation quality (by inconstistencies i mean wtf is that?) i hope Toei animation is not making a false promise by showing the movie's only good bits of animation in the trailer.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I played Smash for the Wii U's "Classic mode" the other day and I gotta say I'm glad characters will have set stages in Ultimate's classic mode instead of randomized fights. Another aspect of Smash 4's classic mode I hope isn't returning is that end credits mini-game you're forced to play if you want to see the victory screen. Melee also had a credits mini-game, but it doesn't punish you for putting your controller down and chilling out while the credits roll.
Smash4 had a classic mode? Did you unlock it by beating that weird mode filled with random 8-player Smash using every character or something?
preempting anyone who doesn't sense the sarcasm and pointing out this is a joke

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So Vergeben is speaking again.

He disconfirmed that rumor about two Namco characters but he also said something... interesting.
Dammit I was going to post that

You guys are ninja's

I was literally just in here and no one posted it

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So Vergeben is speaking again.

He disconfirmed that rumor about two Namco characters but he also said something... interesting.
I honestly had no doubt on Geno anyway. Unless he's one of the people who thinks Square-Enix owns Sora, I guess? But yeah, Geno is the only heavily requested SE character to fit that bill, well, after Cloud, anyway.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Totally agree. It's refreshing to see after the inconsistencies in DBS animation quality (by inconstistencies i mean wtf is that?) i hope Toei animation is not making a false promise by showing the movie's only good bits of animation in the trailer.
That's not how it works. Character designs are universal. Looser, simpler designs are what animators love. Even those that pour detail into their work like simpler designs as a base. This movie has been planned since last year. It's got a good production. Already several big animators confirmed on the film.

But anyways that's entirely off topic and I don't want to get yelled at for talking about this in a Smash thread.

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
i mean if we're all being serious, geno is likely based entirely on the mii costume. it happened with k rool, probably gonna happen with him

Enchess

Smash Lord
I honestly had no doubt on Geno anyway. Unless he's one of the people who thinks Square-Enix owns Sora, I guess? But yeah, Geno is the only heavily requested SE character to fit that bill, well, after Cloud, anyway.
Neku is semi-requested and certainly more relevant. A case can be made he's less obscure too. i think Geno is more likely though, but really only because of ballot.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Neku is semi-requested and certainly more relevant. A case can be made he's less obscure too. i think Geno is more likely though, but really only because of ballot.
Fair point. It's hard to remember some lesser requested characters, mostly due to the echo chambers and such.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Of course Verge wouldnt guess 2 namco characters.

One square character (geno) after that famitsu article about the ballot... Way safer of a guess.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
With the current trend of newcomers I was thinking Geno was likely regardless. He's arguably been requested for as long as K. Rool and Ridley, we already have Sony's Cloud, and K. Rool destroys the relevancy argument.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
So just gonna throw out my prediction at this point for the rest of the roster, because why not?

Isaac, Dixie, Elma, Incineroar, Gardevoir, Banjo, and Karate Joe are unique newcomers

Isabelle, Impa, Ken, Black Shadow, Shadow, Yarn Yoshi, Medusa, Hilda, Felix, Octolings, and the Black Knight are echoes

Bandana Dee, Geno, Springman, Rex/Pyra, Slime, Waluigi, Bomberman and a perhaps a few more 3rd parties as DLC

Also there will totally be a Rabbids AT. I'm also predicting Shantae as an AT.

So I don't really expect this to be fully correct tbh, but I do think that the characters I listed each have a good shot at getting in and being in the category I listed them as. I just don't know if we'll get all of them together as such.

I do think that we will get more 3rd party newcomers as DLC than in the base roster. I think this just works better from a marketing perspective and people will be more likely to buy the DLC that way because a lot of the 3rd party choices are more hype to a broader audience than some of the left over first party characters.

I also think that, leak notwithstanding, Gardevoir has a better chance of being in the game than people give her credit for. I've posted this elsewhere but because of the confluence of events surrounding the ballot I would actually hazard a guess that she and sceptile had the most votes as far as pokemon go in the ballot. And I think, especially taking Japan into consideration, she has the more stable and longstanding popularity being that it wasn't based on trying to get a full trio of starter types into the game.

I also think that Geno isn't as likely to make the base roster as most everyone assumes. He has a decent chance of making it, but I think his overall popularity is a little overstated due to the echo chamber of speculation. But this is mostly just a gut feeling on my part. Speaking of which, I don't really think Skull Kid is happening at all. So we shall see on that one. I could see a new Zelda unique newcomer, but I'm just not sure who, so I stuck with Impa and Hilda (mostly just because she fits with Zelda's redesign so well) as echoes.

I'm also making a bold prediction that Dixie will not be an echo but rather a unique newcomer. This is more just based on what I want and what I think fits her, so take with a grain of salt (as with the rest of this post really). But I want my dreams to manifest by speaking (or typing) them into the world okay? lol Also Felix being in the game at all is the same thing. Really just being hopeful there.

Finally I think that Waluigi will be the first Assist Trophy to make the jump to playable via DLC. I think this is a possibility and that it is not as ridiculous as many seem to think. And I suspect that Waluigi will be the one to make it happen. After, my hope is that Bomberman can do the same. That's mostly just a bit more wishing on my part though. Possibly Ashley as well if that happens? Either way I do expect DLC and I think we may well get more than we did with Smash 4. I say this because the Switch is very successful and we are still early on in its life cycle. I'm less certain about which characters will be DLC, but I think the newer Nintendo characters have a very good shot (I'm inlcuding Bandana Dee in this because I'm hearing that he didn't become quite so popular until post ballot, but I won't lie I'm not super informed about that, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there).

This is probably me being too optimistic (and also blinded by my own bias), but we shall see. I choose to remain hopeful, possibly to my own detriment.

So how crazy am I? lol

Enchess

Smash Lord
So are we back to believing Vergeben?
I'm back to... discussing Verg. I believe he had legit info for E3 now, but I'm not sure he has real information now (especially with how out of loop I am lately). I don't put my faith in his new stuff, but it's something to talk about, like Rathalos poses and plunger guns.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
I'm not, although the Simon thing really raised his credibility in my eyes.

I still refer to my motto though
When exactly did Vergeben leak Simon? Because I heard that Simon was leaked on the official Smash website when someone misnamed a music track to "Bloody Tears" a short while before the direct.

StormC

Smash Hero
This alongside the recent K. Rool ballot comment makes me have a new viewpoint on certain Smash 4 newcomers. Out of all Smash 4 newcomers, only Mega Man, Rosalina, Little Mac, Shulk, and Bowser Jr. would have likely had Western popularity accounted for their inclusion.

Kinda make me wonder if where Sakurai would find the Western demand for Mac if the VGTribune poll was not an influence. Certainly, there was a bandwagon when Smash 4 was announced at E3 2011 (I believe) and after the release of the PO Wii sequel. Maybe he was paying attention to other Western trends aside from using polls. I have to wonder.

Also, this explains why Takamaru wasn't playable in Smash 4, due the resurgence of Murasame content in the West not even beginning until Nintendo Land November 2012, where Western support for the character peaked at the time. Takamaru was a never big retro contender in Smash 4's project plan in the beginning, in hindsight.
I doubt any character in Smash 4 besides Mega Man was added in for popularity. Sakurai was more interested in promoting recent titles and gimmicks.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So are we back to believing Vergeben?
That depends on the person
I, personally don't care about speculation, but so far his track record seems pretty spot on in terms of Ultimate.

I do know for a fact, he did get some bad info in regards to other games like MvCI, at least.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The more he opens his mouth, the easier it becomes to disprove him. If any of Ken, Isabelle, or Geno gets deconfirmed, or if Decidueye or Lycanroc get in, we can throw his trustworthiness out the window.

Granted, nothing he's said I've seen as particularly unlikely, except MAYBE the Minecraft content.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm not, although the Simon thing really raised his credibility in my eyes.

I still refer to my motto though
__Stealth leaked simon before Verge.
In all likeliness he just stole it from him.
So it really didnt raise anything for myself.
Had he known about Richter too... Maybe a different story.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I doubt any character in Smash 4 besides Mega Man was added in for popularity. Sakurai was more interested in promoting recent times and gimmicks.
I'm a lot more positive about Smash 4's newcomers than most (especially :ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultbowserjr::ultvillager:), and I can't really argue with that lol

That's not how it works. Character designs are universal. Looser, simpler designs are what animators love. Even those that pour detail into their work like simpler designs as a base. This movie has been planned since last year. It's got a good production. Already several big animators confirmed on the film.

But anyways that's entirely off topic and I don't want to get yelled at for talking about this in a Smash thread.
Maybe i wasn't clear enough or sounded like i was overly pessimistic... i was talking about the DBS serie. I'm a big fan but from one episode to another and even sometimes in the same episode the animation quality tend to drastically change. I'm hyped about this new movie and would be disappointed if it would suffer the same treatment.

I don't think there's any reason to yell at you for talking about this, pretty hard to stay on topic on this thread anyway :)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
APRIL!? That certainly helps his credibility. He has been wrong in the past though and Simon would be a relatively safe guess.
Can't agree with that, Simon isn't safe at all. Not even top 10 in 3rd parties for most Ballot polls.
But, he has definitely been wrong before. Question is if he's wrong in Smash.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm a lot more positive about Smash 4's newcomers than most (especially :ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultbowserjr::ultvillager:), and I can't really argue with that lol
I don't hate, or even dislike the Smash 4 newcomers... mostly I just find them to be adequate. Outside of Mega Man, there were no earthshattering hype characters. Most of the additions were met with a shrug and "okay, cool, so what's next?"

Just compare how much hype Sakurai has generated in four characters alone in Ultimate. :ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool: It's already shaping up to be the best roster.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I can't get used to Shroob Shroob and Enchess Enchess having no avatars as the had recognizable ones for a while...
Sorry, I got tired of old one and can't decide on what should replace it. It'll probably end up Valkyria Chronicles or Spiderman soon, looking at my recent preorders.

Edit: There, I made it a priority for you, Zinith Zinith

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I don’t know how to feel about the possibility of Geno. He’s such a “nobody” of a character.

On the one hand, it give the impression that anyone could be a fighter if the fans are passionate enough. The whole grassroots movement to get him in would be a cool story of its own.

But he just seems so... inconsequential compared to a lot of characters that could be added, that I’d feel a little bummed out. He’s definitely not this big all-star like the Smash community would have you believe. Then again I love niche picks for fighters...

Again, not sure how I’d feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom