• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
To be honest, I thought Nintendo owned Yokai Watch. Do they at least own distribution rights? I read before that Nintendo only owns the distribution rights to the Kirby series?
They specifically own the publishing rights in North America and Europe. The series is self-published by Level 5 in Japan.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
you have said the magic words to send me off on a tangent

Yokai Watch could happen, it just depends on what Level 5 and Nintendo's relations were back in 2015. I think they were already planning on bringing Yokai Watch over to the states at the time as publisher, which means they're probably pretty close. The chances of it happening are very good from my point of view, considering the series was at a major high in Japan during that period. The main problem is mostly that this game seems to be focused a lot more on fan-favorite characters rather than the kind of ad characters that Smash 4 had, and Jibanyan, the series' mascot, only did "pretty okay" on the ballot.

Anyway we have nothing stating that it will or won't be in the game, much like a lot of other things at the moment

EDIT: yokai watch is not owned by disney like the brain genius above me says, its purely owned by Level 5, but published by Nintendo. The anime aired on the Disney channel over here, but so do tons of other shows not owned by Disney
If Level 5 get's a rep I bet it's the goof with a top hat and a cane and probably only as an assist trophy.

If Smash gets a character that originated in a manga it'll be Goku not the hamster from yokai watch.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
If Level 5 get's a rep I bet it's the goof with a top hat and a cane and probably only as an assist trophy.

If Smash gets a character that originated in a manga it'll be Goku not the hamster from yokai watch.
it started as a video game you dunce

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So folks...

Sakurai's comment on the stage number seems to have a sense of finality to it.

Are we done with stages?
I think so. It seems like the goal was to hit 100 stages of non-Smash origin (so not including the Battlefields or FD). Knowing this was the goal, they probably decided how many new stages they would need (factoring in the characters, which come first in the design process). Once they knew how many new stages they needed/wanted, they filled up the rest with remade retro stages.

So I don't think we're getting any new IPs until DLC, unless they don't need a stage. Which means that Isabelle/Incineroar/Ken prediction from Vergeben is looking fine still, especially if you take the interview as a whole.

I think the question we need to consider is if we're getting anything more. Could we see a Zelda newcomer, or Bandana Dee? Those seem to be the only franchises left that are really looking for newcomers now after Isabelle and Incineroar.

As for third parties, I feel like if we were to get any more, they would come from Sonic as it's, honestly, the biggest of the third party franchises we have, and Sega seems pretty easy to work with nowadays. I know everyone wants Shadow as an echo, but I think it'd be really cool too if we got Tails. I think we could see another Namco character as DLC and I'm really doubtful of anything Square right now if the FF7 music is anything to go by. With Bayo's Jeanne costume and Rodin's AT role, there's no one big left there, and all of the Mega Man characters are in his final smash.

So if I had to make my predictions for the rest of the roster:
- Incineroar
- Ken
- Isabelle
- Waddle Dee
- Zelda newcomer
- Sonic newcomer

DLC:
- Isaac
- Heihachi
- Banjo
- Rayman
- Spring Man
- Rex & Pyra
- Edelgard

Speaking of Tails, has anyone seen him on Windy Hill? The wiki says he's there but I haven't seen any footage of it.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Cool, now I know. Thank you for answering, I don't know why no one did the last couple times I tried haha. Still leaves the plunger. Thats really weird to me. Im in the no-Rabbids-in-Smash camp and struggle on this one.
Smash gave ZSS rocket heels, I think they'll just update a design if they feel so inclined.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I agree with the posts that say we are certainly through with returning stages. We might see DLC for some of them but I doubt it.

The only thing up in the air is if they're going to reach that 106 non-Smash original mark, the max the CSS as we see it can hold. Sakurai doesn't leave false hope, and this would be the first major case of that being a thing. He didn't leave it for Skull Kid, he didn't intend to with Ridley (he had a shadow on Pyrosphere presumably because he wasn't ready, not to tease people who wanted him), and the previous time with the Ice Climbers was literally out of his capabilities of fixing. This would be the first, unprecedented time Sakurai has left behind false hope when he could just outright say "The remaining fighters will come from franchises that we already have in the series. We apologize if you wanted a fighter from a new series, but they can still join the battle as an Assist Trophy!".

This could be because he's uncomfortable admitting it. It could also be that we aren't done with new stages. We could be, but we could still have homeless newcomers until the DLC season. By the way, my most wanted probably doesn't need a stage THAT much (despite being a third party) since there aren't that many significant locales from her series, and could easily just make do elsewhere until DLC season, but my other ones do need stages (except Paper Mario). R.O.B isn't the only case of this: F-Zero and Mother in 64 and Fire Emblem in Melee also have been homeless. Space/time limitations, yes, but that's still a thing.

As for Yokai Watch character (Jibanyan presumably), I think it's possible, but not that likely. Much like how Arle has to fight a second Sonic rep, Jibanyan has to take on Layton, which would cause split votes between the two of them. In fact, that's happening a lot. Geno vs. DQ Rep vs. FF rep 2, Banjo vs. Steve?, and Lloyd vs. Yuri vs. Heihachi.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Of course while Jibanyan is the obvious choice for a Yokai Watch Smash rep, us YW fans know that the only true rep would be Whisper

That's odd then how did the manga come out before the game? And is still running.
Because it started out planned to be a video game and the manga just happened to come out first???? thats literally what happened dude, still a video game franchise

Enchess

Smash Lord
I'm fine with 103 stages, I just don't understand why now of all times he broke his 'center EVERYTHING' motif.
Yeah, I'd be super weirded out by that too. I also have trouble imagining a Smash introducing only 1 Nintendo IP to the roster. It's possible, but feels unlikely to me.
Woah, we both went to generic profile pics this week. Weird. What was your old on from btw? It always looked familiar but I couldn't place it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Level 5 character? I guess Professor Layton could be cool... but I really would love to play as a Fantasy Life character like Roslyn the Paladin or Hazel the Magician. That 3DS game is so good!

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
To be honest, I thought Nintendo owned Yokai Watch. Do they at least own distribution rights? I read before that Nintendo only owns the distribution rights to the Kirby series?
The thing about Kirby isn't right either. HAL Lab works for Nintendo, so it's pretty much a Nintendo game as much as Fire Emblem.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Of course while Jibanyan is the obvious choice for a Yokai Watch Smash rep, us YW fans know that the only true rep would be Whisper

Because it started out planned to be a video game and the manga just happened to come out first???? thats literally what happened dude, still a video game franchise
Yokai Watch was created to be a multimedia franchise that encompassed all forms of media and marketing to kids for maximum market gains.

It debuted as a manga.
It wasnt a one shot promo manga, its still running.
It differed from the game, it is its own thing.

Hilarious that it gets a pass but Goku can't.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Made two pretty rosters, one with two extra characters to make it look nicer. The one by series is so perfect and beautiful to me, makes me really want to be able to categorize by number or series. BTW the fact that echoes can combine with their base really upsets someone like me who tries to make aesthetically pleasing roster CSSs.

Ultimate Roster.png

Series Roster.png

Thoughts?

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, I feel like the next time we get 'news', aside from like, a one-off trailer for a newcomer tacked onto a Direct, will be the last 'big' news drop for this game.

We know the roster's going to be known to us before the game's out, so I could honestly see us knowing the whole thing by October.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Yokai Watch was created to be a multimedia franchise that encompassed all forms of media and marketing to kids for maximum market gains.

It debuted as a manga.
It wasnt a one shot promo manga, its still running.
It differed from the game, it is its own thing.

Hilarious that it gets a pass but Goku can't.
its a video game franchise first and foremost, the show and manga exist to advertise the games (especially during the last legs of the anime, yikes was that bad)

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I also don't think we're getting any new IP either especially third parties since every 3rd party has come with a stage. It's a precedent that still persists even in Ultimate. Could be broken; but very likely no.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 159236

So, hypothetical:

> This is the full roster
> 103 stages
> Over 900 songs
> Spirits mode ends up like a pretty cool adventure/story mode

If the game came out today, without any other character reveals, but only adds what we've heard from Vergeben...

Yfw? Your score/10? Thoughts?
If this is it, even if we don’t get DLC, I’m content with Ultimate. They’ve addressed every notable issue past game’s rosters had and more.

During Brawl, we dreamed of all veterans, Ridley, and King K. Rool all being on the same roster. Now that’s reality and there isn’t much else that could be done to make it better.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
its a video game franchise first and foremost, the show and manga exist to advertise the games (especially during the last legs of the anime, yikes was that bad)
It's a multimedia franchise first and foremost... In the same vein as yugioh for Konami.

By the luck of the draw it originated as a manga.

So what planned multimedia franchises get a pass now but franchise that evolved into one don't?

#justiceforGoku

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think its important to predict Incineroar as your Pokemon newcomer. All signs point to him, including Verge and artwork ranging back from Sun and Moon leaks signalling that Ash would get one.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For me the game isn't quite complete yet. There is a character I've been wanting for 12 years

Bionichute

Smash Champion
If this is it, even if we don’t get DLC, I’m content with Ultimate. They’ve addressed every notable issue past game’s rosters had and more.

During Brawl, we dreamed of all veterans, Ridley, and King K. Rool all being on the same roster. Now that’s reality and there isn’t much else that could be done to make it better.
im not content until we get a new kirby and zelda rep. its been three games and over ten years since zelda had a new character (and toon link doesn't count)

Enchess

Smash Lord
It's a multimedia franchise first and foremost... In the same vein as yugioh for Konami.

By the luck of the draw it originated as a manga.

So what planned multimedia franchises get a pass now but franchise that evolved into one don't?

#justiceforGoku
I think most people would agree Yugioh is primarily a card game. I think most people would agree Yokai Watch is primarily a video game. I think everyone can agree that the Goku stuff is a troll to get a rise out of people.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Kind of deceptively hard....

I'm miffed.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think most people would agree Yugioh is primarily a card game. I think most people would agree Yokai Watch is primarily a video game. I think everyone can agree that the Goku stuff is a troll to get a rise out of people.
Some people legitimately want and believe Goku will be in Smash. I don't understand it.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
You literally posted a screen shot from wikipedia explaining how it was planned to be released as a multimedia franchise. Primarily one or the other is massively debatable since there's more manga content then game content and more toy based products then both manga and games.

Literally baffled by the bias.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
You literally posted a screen shot from wikipedia explaining how it was planned to be released as a multimedia franchise. Primarily one or the other is massively debatable since there's more manga content then game content and more toy based products then both manga and games.

uh
that wasn't enchess dude, that was a different person. and yeah it was revealed as a video game at Tokyo Game Show where it was also said to be getting an anime and manga adaptation

you can just admit that you don't like the series, its dead anyway

Enchess

Smash Lord

That wasn't me that posted the Wikipedia page haha. Something can be a multimedia franchise but have a branch thats clearly the primary one (see Pokemon). Yokai Watch at least to me seems to be primarily brought up in video game conversations, not anime ones. I mean it's viewed as a Pokemon competitor and the video game aspect of Pokemon has always been the focus there.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Made two pretty rosters, one with two extra characters to make it look nicer. The one by series is so perfect and beautiful to me, makes me really want to be able to categorize by number or series. BTW the fact that echoes can combine with their base really upsets someone like me who tries to make aesthetically pleasing roster CSSs.

View attachment 159280

View attachment 159281

Thoughts?
I could live with it.
Has Bandana Dee
Has another Chick.
Has Geno.

Missing Goemon, but overall, would be happy.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I like Goku

Just.... not here
Exactly how I feel.
I recently got back into Dragonball in a big way, and I've fallen in love with how kooky and fun this martial arts shonen is.

Goku is infinitely represented better in a fighting game like DBFZ than in a Smash Bros. game, anyways

Last edited:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
if yall want goku in smash just play that jump allstars game on the ds

it also has bobobo and don patch in it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom