• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
if yall want goku in smash just play that jump allstars game on the ds

it also has bobobo and don patch in it!!!
The art style in the new Jump Force game is horrendous with that play-doh look. It reminds of how much I dislike how modern Dragon Ball has looked since like Budokai 1 (barring the 2008 special that was good). Hate all the highlights and plastic look. Glad Yamamuro is no longer doing character designs.

Bionichute

Smash Champion
The art style in the new Jump Force game is horrendous with that play-doh look. It reminds of how much I dislike how modern Dragon Ball has looked since like Budokai 1 (barring the 2008 special that was good). Hate all the highlights and plastic look. Glad Yamamuro is no longer doing character designs.
is that the one they showed at e3 or the one that released a while ago that wasnt great

still had bobobo in it tho

ErenJager

Smash Champion
uh
that wasn't enchess dude, that was a different person. and yeah it was revealed as a video game at Tokyo Game Show where it was also said to be getting an anime and manga adaptation

you can just admit that you don't like the series, its dead anyway
Has nothing to do with liking it.
It's just all the facts in the circumstance which are being ignored and creative exceptions are being created to rationalize it's justification.

1) It was intended to be a multimedia franchise first. It's a total subjective bias to say its firstly a video game. If this was a game where only manga characters got in, i'm sure you'd say it's a manga in advocacy of your desire.

2) It originated/ debuted as a Manga first. Which by most opinions disqualifies it from Smash. Not necessarily my opinion though.

Those are two undeniable facts of yokai watch. If you wanna twist and bend actuality for your prefered character go nuts. I do it for Goku all the time. But lets call a spade a spade here.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
is that the one they showed at e3 or the one that released a while ago that wasnt great

still had bobobo in it tho
There was a similar game that released a few years ago that I assume Jump Force (which was revealed at E3) is a successor to.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, the new art style only works with still shots, but otherwise, everything else looks stiff and blocky.
Luckily, they're transitioning to a new art style with the Super movie that's more free-form, sketchy, and rounded. It looks far more fluid and natural, and they even manage to turn the dial back on "hard-edge" DBZ style occasionally.

And yeah, Jump Force looks really weird.
It's like someone saw those weird "Let's remake this retro game in Unreal 4" videos and said "Yeah, how about we put these anime characters in that plastic, photo-realistic art style!"

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
At least new Broly movie looks sick with it's return to Akira Toriyama's simple shading and sleeker characters. I was just talking about how much I hate the new plasticky look to the same friend from work that I mentioned with Haruhi. Clearly I have a stalker. Or a coincidence. Whichever.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
At least new Broly movie looks sick with it's return to Akira Toriyama's simple shading and sleeker characters. I was just talking about how much I hate the new plasticky look to the same friend from work that I mentioned with Haruhi. Clearly I have a stalker. Or a coincidence. Whichever.
I'm really into Dragon Ball's production and they got a young new character designer in Naohiro Shintani. His designs remind me of the old Maeda era in early DBZ and I'm in love with it.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
That wasn't me that posted the Wikipedia page haha. Something can be a multimedia franchise but have a branch thats clearly the primary one (see Pokemon). Yokai Watch at least to me seems to be primarily brought up in video game conversations, not anime ones. I mean it's viewed as a Pokemon competitor and the video game aspect of Pokemon has always been the focus there.
Pokemons origins are entirely different then Yokai watch.

Your comparison is completely invalid.

And even if they shared a similar origin, Pokemon is under Nintendo's banner. Much like Lucario debuting in an anime movie.

I'm not arguing this any more. I feel like i'm trying to convince flat earthers that the earth is round.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
OoT Ganondorf was born during the timeline, but TP Gandorf is OoT Ganondorf so it depends on the time between OoT and TP.
100 years..its always 100 year intervals with the Zelda series for some reason.
Weird choice for a Yoshi Echo, but okay.
But for real guys, does Luigi use a plunger gun or camera flashes in Dark Moon? WHY WILL NO ONE ANSWER THIS
He flashes his flashlight which makes the same sound as in the Direct.
The Plunger and the Design of the Poltergust in the Direct are entirely new though.
That really ruffles my Poké Floats
Possible as DLC..likely, in fact.
it could possibly be a trick to hide stages if we get any newcomers from new franchises, which is very likely to happen. but i don't think we're going to be getting any more returning stages
Unlikely to happen in my opinion. Sakurai rarely, if ever, gives an exact number without meaning it. If he wanted to hide stages it would have made more sense to do one of three things.
1) Be Vague, say 'over 100'
2) Only say the amount of returning stages.
3) Not say anything about the total number at all.
Don’t bother. We can’t even discuss “red eyes” without someone freaking out about how impossible life is.

It’s a joke, people. Don’t you DARE emotion at me.
Oh, I think I will emotion.
Yeah, I'd be super weirded out by that too. I also have trouble imagining a Smash introducing only 1 Nintendo IP to the roster. It's possible, but feels unlikely to me.
Woah, we both went to generic profile pics this week. Weird. What was your old on from btw? It always looked familiar but I couldn't place it.
To be fair, there were no new must have IPs to include in 2015 and they are having less newcomers while still going off of the ballot.
I also don't think we're getting any new IP either especially third parties since every 3rd party has come with a stage. It's a precedent that still persists even in Ultimate. Could be broken; but very likely no.
I agree.

KMDP

Smash Legend
There was a similar game that released a few years ago that I assume Jump Force (which was revealed at E3) is a successor to.
You're talking about J Stars Victory VS, I presume?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Guys, I'm just saying, as a Leak and Speculation's vet from all those years ago...usually arguments break out this way when we reduce ourselves to personally attacking the other side, right or not.

Now let's discuss something else.

Gex is revealed next direct, what you do?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

And even if they shared a similar origin, Pokemon is under Nintendo's banner. Much like Lucario debuting in an anime movie.

I'm not arguing this any more. I feel like i'm trying to convince flat earthers that the earth is round.
The Earth is a rhombus.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just remember, you can point out something is wrong without flaming others. Let's dial that kind of behavior back and accept some don't believe stuff, regardless of facts. Everybody has their own way of viewing things, after all.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Guys, I'm just saying, as a Leak and Speculation's vet from all those years ago...usually arguments break out this way when we reduce ourselves to personally attacking the other side, right or not.

It's Tail Time!!!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, the new art style only works with still shots, but otherwise, everything else looks stiff and blocky.
Luckily, they're transitioning to a new art style with the Super movie that's more free-form, sketchy, and rounded. It looks far more fluid and natural, and they even manage to turn the dial back on "hard-edge" DBZ style occasionally.

And yeah, Jump Force looks really weird.
It's like someone saw those weird "Let's remake this retro game in Unreal 4" videos and said "Yeah, how about we put these anime characters in that plastic, photo-realistic art style!"
Oh, and I love how they brought back the tassles to his belt sash.
They give so much more motion and bounciness to his character, it makes you wonder why they ever removed them.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
wwwwwwwwhatever dude, you're being really dumb
Woah there dude, you gotta be careful when saying stuff like that here, even if you’re really angry.

———————
Anyways, apparently tomorrow there is going to be a Smash focus at gamescom. It probably is the podcast Nintendo said a couple of days ago, talking about the game in general.

We might get some new gameplay or information, though I wouldn’t say newcomer worthy, but maybe something about the new characters and the like.

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord

Dude, whatever, I don't have a stake in the Yokai Watch fight. I don't want either YW or DBZ in Smash. I'm actually a fan of DBZ and not at all of YW. As a YW outsider, it's always stuck me as a video game series with a supporting anime/manga and not the other way around. DBZ on the other hand has never seemed like a video game franchise.

Trust me, I understand that feeling of talking to flat-earthers. I've been arguing with Goku Supporters ;)

D

Deleted member

im not content until we get a new kirby and zelda rep. its been three games and over ten years since zelda had a new character (and toon link doesn't count)
Saying “X franchise” reps is” devalues the franchise’s characters and assumes they are only worth adding just so that people can stare at the CSS screen while drooling from their mouth at how Sakurai fulfilled an arbitrary quota. So what happens if Sakurai adds I Am Error and Buff from the Kirby anime, will that be enough? Franchises should add character based on individual own merits, not because “It’s Their Turn!”

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Dude, whatever, I don't have a stake in the Yokai Watch fight. I don't want either YW or DBZ in Smash. I'm actually a fan of DBZ and not at all of YW. As a YW outsider, it's always stuck me as a video game series with a supporting anime/manga and not the other way around. DBZ on the other hand has never seemed like a video game franchise.

Trust me, I understand that feeling of talking to flat-earthers. I've been arguing with Goku Supporters ;)
Guys, we really need to drop this conversation. Read what Spirit said above.

Now, let us focus on what's most important.
Gex.png

All I'm saying is he vaguely resembles a Kremling...

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Oh, and I love how they brought back the tassles to his belt sash.
They give so much more motion and bounciness to his character, it makes you wonder why they ever removed them.
Nah man every shot isn't filled with hardcore detail so it's bad :troll:

Bionichute

Smash Champion
Saying “X franchise” reps is” devalues the franchise’s characters and assumes they are only worth adding just so that people can stare at the CSS screen while drooling from their mouth at how Sakurai fulfilled an arbitrary quota. So what happens if Sakurai adds I Am Error and Buff from the Kirby anime, will that be enough? Franchises should add character based on individual own merits, not because “It’s Their Turn!”
i mean i just really want more kirby characters

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

Die.

Enchess

Smash Lord

I'd be incredibly confused. Then I'd wonder if Zinith would react positively or negatively as it is a green reptile. Then I'd spend hours trying to decide why Gex of all characters instead of say Banjo or Croc or Rayman.

Edit: Ninja'd by Zinith themself

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
(i completely forgot what you were quoting and was so intimidated for 2 seconds because i thought you just randomly told me to die now im just laughing)

But...he's the Bexst.

Look how many people worked on his game. This is the real Smash Bros.

I'd be incredibly confused. Then I'd wonder if Zinith would react positively or negatively as it is a green reptile. Then I'd spend hours trying to decide why Gex of all characters instead of say Banjo or Croc or Rayman.
ZIN HE CAME FOR YA LIFE

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Probably salty that the first playable property owned by a western video game company is Gex and not like ... I dont know Crash, Banjo, someone else popular.

Enchess

Smash Lord
Speaking of which, hot damn is he fast.
People talk about how Ridley is too small now, but no one mentions he's too slow now. He's so fast in Super Metroid boss fight. Really in all Metroid games. Canonically he should be significantly faster than Samus.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
I played Smash for the Wii U's "Classic mode" the other day and I gotta say I'm glad characters will have set stages in Ultimate's classic mode instead of randomized fights. Another aspect of Smash 4's classic mode I hope isn't returning is that end credits mini-game you're forced to play if you want to see the victory screen. Melee also had a credits mini-game, but it doesn't punish you for putting your controller down and chilling out while the credits roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom